What kind of music do you like?

• 58 Replies
?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
Re: What kind of music do you like?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »
Classical (romantic, impressionist, 20th century and contemporary), rock, metal, drone doom, 'backpacker' hip hop, free jazz, Indian classical, Hungarian, Romanian and other regional European folk music, bluegrass, avantgarde, experimental, minimalist, industrial, noise, power electronics, musique concrete, prog-rock, kraut-rock and klezmer.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Death, black, viking, folk and avante-garde metal, and nearly anything made before 1970.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
METAL

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
METAL

You're not saying it with enough foam spewing form your mouth.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 01:22:24 AM »
Humour 
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 03:00:13 AM »
METAL

You're not saying it with enough foam spewing form your mouth.
METHULL!!

an vir

Guessed

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
Classical (romantic, impressionist, 20th century and contemporary), rock, metal, drone doom, 'backpacker' hip hop, free jazz, Indian classical, Hungarian, Romanian and other regional European folk music, bluegrass, avantgarde, experimental, minimalist, industrial, noise, power electronics, musique concrete, prog-rock, kraut-rock and klezmer.

Have you ever heard Beirut? He does a very interesting twist European folk.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
I listen to everything. Sort of. I can get really into some classical pieces when I'm in the mood, though I'm always in the mood for a good rendition of Bach's Toccata et Fugue. I listen to some pop music songs, though generally only old pop music which I missed the first time around. Everything that's played on the radio, I pretty much dislike from the start. I dislike the idea that someone else should tell me what to listen to. I like third wave ska/punk fusions a lot, sort of upbeat music with some brass tones and nice electric guitar. I listen to lots of metal, in all it's diverse genres. I like rock music, reggae, oldies, trance, dance, other electronica, folk music, j-pop and j-rock to some extent, some blues, one or two hip-hop songs I've come across, I've liked, and I guess that's about it. I might have forgotten some genre, but that's because I don't look to genres, but to sounds and beats when I listen to music. Genres are just labels.

My taste is alot like Wendy's - liking almost everything from A-Z - a very ecclectic mix.
From Blues, to Jazz, to Latin, to Latin Pop, to Funk, to Beach, to Motown, to Country, to Electronica, to Disco, to 70's Rock (the lighter side), to Psychedelic -Acid dropping rock, to Classical etc.

Blues: Love Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers; Eric Clapton; Buddy Guy; Muddy Waters; Jeff Healy

Jazz:   Love Lionel Hampton (R.I.P.)

Latin:  Celia Cruz; Los Lobos; Joe Arroyo; Tito Puente (not the latin pop stuff)

Funk:  George Clinton and the 'P" Funk

Classical: mostly Baroque/ chamber music 
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »
Hard Rock (Ie Seether, Tool, Disturrbed, Rammstien)
Pop Punk (ie Box Car Racer, Halifax,Blink-182)
Pearl Jam is my favorite at the moment. i'm listening to Not For You at the moment as it turns out (^_^)

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:07 AM »

You have no idea how much I appreciate that you actually called those hard rock.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

OmgHAI

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:30 AM »

You have no idea how much I appreciate that you actually called those hard rock.
lawl
August Burns Red

Leftover Crack

MGMT

Just a little of what I've been listening to a lot recently
<3 <3 <3
You ravers are not nearly as awesome as you think you are.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
I won't say any genres, but I'll put my favourite artists.

Jeff Buckley
The Mars Volta
Metallica
Eluveitie
Pearl Jam
Seth Lakeman
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Dreadzone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Kate Rusby
Recently got into Trivium. They're insanely tight.
LAU
The music from Les Miserables
The music from Jesus Christ Superstar
No particular favourite in classical music, though at a push I'd go for Vaughan Williams' Symphony No.5

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
Humour   

Or this: (old, but still good)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »
Jeff Buckley
his father wrote a song that my favorite musician covered. i am very fond of this particular cover.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">song to the siren
an vir

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »
I'm kind of into the more "Symphonic" metal these days... I'm not sure that's the right thing to call it, but Therion, Nightish, Dragonforce etc etc.

Guessed

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »
My latest kick is Gypsy Punk, I've been on a folk binge for a while now come to think of it.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
Jeff Buckley
his father wrote a song that my favorite musician covered. i am very fond of this particular cover.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">song to the siren

Never really liked Tim Buckley, but I'll check it out.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

The guitar solos in this get me every time.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 01:44:56 AM »

Jeff Buckley
The Mars Volta
Metallica
Eluveitie
Pearl Jam
Seth Lakeman
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Dreadzone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Kate Rusby
LAU
No particular favourite in classical music, though at a push I'd go for Vaughan Williams' Symphony No.5

I Like everything but when I do listen to classical, I Like:

• “Sarabande” – by Handel
  • “Pavane” 1887 by Gabriel Faure (Renaissance period re-do)
  • “Air” from Suite No 3 in D Major by J.S. Bach
  • “Palladio” – Girl group Escala from “Britian’s Got Talent” did it recently.- Elec strings
  • “Prelude from Suite Cello # 1 in G Major” by J.S. Bach from the newest American
               Express commercial also a Yo Yo Ma’s signature piece- although he did not do the
               commercial and Also I think in the movie, “The Soloist”-  Foxx and Downey
  • “Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini” by Rachmaninoff (Rachmaninov) but the slower lighter
              version used today is better then his original piece.
  • ”Rondeau” by Mouret- kinda overplayed though- Theme from Masterpiece Theatre
  • “Morning Mood” part of the Peer Gynt Suite Opus 46 by Edvard Greig

Classical but a little more mainstream: – try “In The Hall of the Mountain King” also from Peer Gynt Suite No 1, Opus 46.  Done by several artists, but will name 2:

•   ELO
•   Apocalyptica – which does classical and neoclassical but in a metal, symphonic metal, and
                              thrash metal genre.

Not crazy about classical - then try this leather clad dude:  Crotian pianist Maksim Mrvica playing classical crossover and techno classical but dressed in leather.  Not your normal symphony kinda guy.

Scarry classical - great for Halloween:  Try Hector Berlioz “Symphonie Fantastique”  particularly the 5th movement –“Dreams of a Witch’s Sabbath”.  Also in the stair scene in "Sleeping with the Enemy" (Julia Roberts)

I'm kind of into the more "Symphonic" metal these days... I'm not sure that's the right thing to call it, but Therion, Nightish, Dragonforce etc etc.
See my suggestion above Apocalyptica.

[/list]
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2009, 05:56:12 AM »
Pete, have you ever listened to nightwish? i believe they're metal opera. which is an eclectic mix to say the least.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »

Jeff Buckley
    The Mars Volta
    Metallica
    Eluveitie
    Pearl Jam
    Seth Lakeman
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
    Dreadzone
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Kate Rusby
    LAU

I Like everything but when I do listen to classical, I Like:

• “Sarabande” – by Handel
    • “Pavane” 1887 by Gabriel Faure (Renaissance period re-do)
    • “Air” from Suite No 3 in D Major by J.S. Bach
    • “Palladio” – Girl group Escala from “Britian’s Got Talent” did it recently.- Elec strings
    • “Prelude from Suite Cello # 1 in G Major” by J.S. Bach from the newest American
                 Express commercial also a Yo Yo Ma’s signature piece- although he did not do the
                 commercial and Also I think in the movie, “The Soloist”-  Foxx and Downey
    • “Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini” by Rachmaninoff (Rachmaninov) but the slower lighter
                version used today is better then his original piece.
    • ”Rondeau” by Mouret- kinda overplayed though- Theme from Masterpiece Theatre
    • “Morning Mood” part of the Peer Gynt Suite Opus 46 by Edvard Greig

Classical but a little more mainstream: – try “In The Hall of the Mountain King” also from Peer Gynt Suite No 1, Opus 46.  Done by several artists, but will name 2:

•   ELO
    •   Apocalyptica – which does classical and neoclassical but in a metal, symphonic metal, and
                                  thrash metal genre.

Not crazy about classical - then try this leather clad dude:  Crotian pianist Maksim Mrvica playing classical crossover and techno classical but dressed in leather.  Not your normal symphony kinda guy.

Scarry classical - great for Halloween:  Try Hector Berlioz “Symphonie Fantastique”  particularly the 5th movement –“Dreams of a Witch’s Sabbath”.  Also in the stair scene in "Sleeping with the Enemy" (Julia Roberts)

See my suggestion above Apocalyptica.

[/list]

I'm familiar with most of them, but I don't generally like to pick one over the other due to how different they are. I'm a fan of Faure, and I'm learning a piece of his at the moment in fact on piano. I like Haydn and Grieg quite a lot, but one couldn't compare them to Faure, because it's completely different.

I listened to the Apocalyptica version of Mountain King in a music class the other day, as we're working on arrangements of classical pieces in modern styles. At the moment I'm working on turning Haydn's Quartet No. 76 in D minor into an 8 minute rock piece.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
    « Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 03:47:32 AM »
    I'm familiar with most of them, but I don't generally like to pick one over the other due to how different they are. I'm a fan of Faure, and I'm learning a piece of his at the moment in fact on piano. I like Haydn and Grieg quite a lot, but one couldn't compare them to Faure, because it's completely different.

I listened to the Apocalyptica version of Mountain King in a music class the other day, as we're working on arrangements of classical pieces in modern styles. At the moment I'm working on turning Haydn's Quartet No. 76 in D minor into an 8 minute rock piece.

Not thinking you would pick one over the other I like them all, and listen at different times depending on my mood.

Actually I should have been more specific on a few pieces:

1) Sarabande was also done by Debussy and Bach which had 6 movements, but the G.F. Handel Sarabdane is more robust where Bach's is more slow with little notes played and lots of space in between, so the the Handel one is from .... "Suite in D Minor"- love that one !  Also used in the movie "Pride and Prejudice."

2) Palladio to be more specific is from the 1st movement, and also the one on the DeBeers diamond commercial.

Some of the pieces from Rossini's Barber of Seville are good like "Figaro".  I didn't mention that one before.

Faure's Pavane piece is from Opus 50 I think- but it is a Renaissance Re-do, and I'd like to find the original composer that did this one.

I agree with you on Greig- and love everything on the Peer Gynt Suite Opus 46;  skipping nothing- because I like it all.

Actually the Rachmoninoff piece I mentioned "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" when done as the original version in Rachmoninoff style as he had intended - is faster, and more difficult than the slower popular version today from the movie "Somewhere in Time".  The MOST difficult piece almost ever has been Rachmoninoff's Piano Concerto No 3.   The monster piece in the movie "Shine" starring Geoffrey Rush.  Try hard rock on for size on that piece ! Heck try that piece period in any way- what a challenge!

I like Mozart too, but really - chamber/ Baroque is my favorite like Handel and Bach and MY gosh if you have ever heard that music played on a Harpsichord like it was done back in the day- what a real treat.  There are only about 10 left in the entire U.S.  That sound cannot be duplicated by organ keys flipped on or off to add additional spice NOR can synthesizers or any other technology capture it.           

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
    « Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
    I agree with your last paragrah entirely. I've looked at how much it costs to get a harpsichord, and it's about 10000 pounds, I think.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
    • The cat in the Matrix
    « Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 12:05:33 PM »
    Hawthorne heights, but paramore is pretty cool too.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
    « Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »
    I agree with your last paragrah entirely. I've looked at how much it costs to get a harpsichord, and it's about 10000 pounds, I think.

Yeah- but great sound though.

I asked you a question before and a challenge of which you did not answer.

#1) Faure's "Pavane" piece is from Opus 50 I think- but it is a Renaissance Re-do, and I'd like to find the original composer that did this one.  - Do you know?

#2) Also... The MOST difficult piece almost ever has been Rachmoninoff's Piano Concerto No 3.   The monster piece in the movie "Shine" starring Geoffrey Rush.  Try hard rock on for size on that piece ! Heck try that piece period in any way- what a challenge!  Can you play it- have you tried to? 

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
    « Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »
    I'm afraid I don't know the composer.

I doubt I could play that at the moment. Hopefully, though, over the next year, I'm going to get a lot better at both piano and guitar.

Ocius

• Official Member
    • Space President
    « Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
    Telegraph Road by Dire Straits sets my soul on fire.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
    « Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
    Dire Straits is a pretty good old band.  Sultans of Swing is one of the best classic rock tunes around by far.
    Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET