The sun?

• 5 Replies
?

the real engineer

The sun?
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:07:20 AM »
Right, serious question here, FAQ didn't answer it.

If the sun is a large disc 3000 miles up in the sky, why is it that when i'm strolling through the yard at work, at 2 o'clock this afternoon, and the sun is at about 30 degrees to the horizontal, its still circular, and not elliptical?

Cheers

?

Tom Bishop

Re: The sun?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:59:21 AM »
That's because the FE sun is a small sphere of omni-directional light low and close to the ground. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 10:01:06 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

the real engineer

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »
ok, in the faq the question asks if the sun is flat or not, and it isn't actually answered, so is the sun a sphere, and if so, what size?

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
That's because the FE sun is a small sphere of omni-directional light low and close to the ground. 
Is "omni-directional" the same as "spotlight"?
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonutGuard

• Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
Is "omni-directional" the same as "spotlight"?
More than that, if it can supply roughly half the planet with as much heat as it does, then why doesn't it just barbeque anything directly under it if it's so close? 

Anything that's that close and generating that much heat, means you don't want to go outside without wearing SPF 10,000.  Doesn't matter how small it is.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; if there be one, he must approve of the homage of reason over that of blind-folded fear."
-Thomas Jefferson

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
Because I sense a slight contradiction between "omni-directional" and "spotlight".
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!