A map

• 14 Replies
?

guv

A map
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
Found a flat earth map, this may clear up some disputes.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rowbotham's_flat_Earth_map.jpg

Re: A map
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
What are these two blobs replacing Australia supposed to be?... And why is it so far away from any other land?

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Australia and New Zealand.

New Zealand is the size of Australia and they are both very far away from everything else because it is hilariously inaccurate.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
Aside from Rowbotham's map, this is the usual so-called "flat earth map"
http://www.mapthematics.com/ProjectionsList/Projectioninfo/azimuthal_equidistant-map.png
Which of course is a map made from a projection of the globe.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »
I was going to post a telegraph map from the 1850's and say something like, "look at how inaccurate round-earth maps are. Lol." I even had the map all picked out. However, those types of posts always seem to be lost on round-earthers and they never understand my clever way of showing them how silly their arguments are.

I don't know, I just don't know. I mean, should I say that attacking the FE model does nothing to prove a round-earth? I grow weary of those arguments. Should I say the map is for ease of understand an idea? I grow tired of referencing diagrams of the atom.

All I can really say is if this is what you're bringing to the table then we'll have the whole world believing in a flat-earth in no time. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
I mean, should I say that attacking the FE model does nothing to prove a round-earth?
I don't know.  Does attacking the RE model do anything to prove a flat earth?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
I mean, should I say that attacking the FE model does nothing to prove a round-earth?

What proves the earth is round (among other evidence) is that actual measured distances between continents and cities are completely consistent with the RE globe and RE maps.  At the same time, these distances are completely inconsistent with any flat earth map that anyone has ever proposed.  If you have a flat earth map that is consistent with know distances between continents and cities, please provide it.  Otherwise, as always, your FE model is based on nothing but fantasy.
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
Should I say the map is for ease of understand an idea?
It seems to do the opposite.  The idea of a flat earth is quite easy to grasp, then you take a look at your map and think 'wow, they can't even get the continents in the right place'....
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

guv

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 03:35:14 AM »
Every flat earth map I have seen is a bit on the piss if you live in the southern parts of the world.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:44 AM »
I don't know.  Does attacking the RE model do anything to prove a flat earth?

No.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »

What proves the earth is round (among other evidence) is that actual measured distances between continents and cities are completely consistent with the RE globe and RE maps.  At the same time, these distances are completely inconsistent with any flat earth map that anyone has ever proposed.  If you have a flat earth map that is consistent with know distances between continents and cities, please provide it.  Otherwise, as always, your FE model is based on nothing but fantasy.

Part of the Flat-Earth Expedition is to make a flat-earth map.  Please help by donating and we can get underway sooner.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:53 AM »

Part of the Flat-Earth Expedition is to make a flat-earth map.  Please help by donating and we can get underway sooner.

Is there really a Flat-Earth Expedition? To what address or account would one send a donation?
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »

Is there really a Flat-Earth Expedition? To what address or account would one send a donation?

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61797.0#.U_S0eN_xA38

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »

Since raising enough money for the proposed very ambitious expedition seems to be a problem, why not scale the first effort back and start by mapping, say, North America, using flat-earth principles.  As you may know, most of the US states (other than the original 13 colonies and Texas) are surveyed into mile-square blocks called Sections.  Because the original surveys were carried out using a spheroidal-earth model, however, once the surveys progressed some distance from their Baseline and Reference Meridian, the sections became distorted.  Since surveying a flat earth into a regular one-mile grid should be really easy, why not do your own section-line resurvey and you can point out to professional land surveyors where their mistakes are.  Much of the Great Plains in the US is crisscrossed by a grid of section line roads that are open to the public, so access to vast areas shouldn't be a problem, and if you start some place like, say, Iowa, logistics should be a snap since the terrain is gentle and small towns and cities every few miles are available to replenish supplies.  Operating out of small mom & pop motels or even camping could be done on the cheap and be much easier than whatever you'd have to do in remote regions with a very hostile climate.  This seems an ideal place to hone your techniques.

Highly accurate surveyor's transits, tapes, and chains that are no longer used professionally should be available for a song.  The pros now almost always use electronic equipment that you probably wouldn't trust, so simple manually-operated instruments with engraved scales and bubble levels, along with steel tapes or chains, in addition to being cheap, would seem to fit your style.

If the value of your ideas can be clearly demonstrated from a non-trivial but still manageable project like correctly mapping Iowa, you'll have no trouble raising funds for much grander projects.  After all, if you're successful, you'll want to do this anyway, and if you find out that a mapping project on this scale is too difficult, then whatever do you think will happen in truly wild places?

Starting modest has obvious advantages although it certainly isn't as sexy sounding as an all-out assault on Antarctica.  Think of it in practical terms, though.  And, remember, the earth wasn't mapped in a day!

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
There's detailed aerial imagery of the entire world pretty much.  I've heard it stated by FE'rs in the past that the reason some images don't join correctly on Google Earth is due to FE images being used.  Pick a continent and start laying out those FE images and we'll see if an accurate flat map is the result.