No
16 (18.4%)
I don't understand satire
18 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Does Australia Exist?

• 473 Replies

Nightsky

• Know the implications of what you believe.
Re: Does Australia Exist?
« Reply #450 on: January 27, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »
René Descartes wrote "I think, therefore I am", maybe I could write "I think I live here, there I think it exists".
But only a very egotistical person (we have one or two here) would claim the know "THE TRUTH", though many on this site even put "truth" or worse "TRUTH" in there name!
Australia, as proposed, is no more than a giant mass of (primarily) rock. Rocks do not have brains: thus, by Descartes, Australia thinks not, and so is not.
So Australia does not exist, QED

Wow some deep deep thinking going on, “Rocks don’t have brains”, you read it here first!  . Quod erat demonstrandum, or some such.

You can't honestly be that thick, can you?

You being the lord of all that’s thick as mince you tell moi.
One thing I will share with you, rocks have no ears, allegedly.
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
Oh for the love of- Logical formulation:
FET is wrong, unsupported by evidence, and most models are refuted on multiple fronts; those that aren't tend not to make enough predictions to be realistically falsifiable
Jane said these

JackBlack

« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
René Descartes wrote "I think, therefore I am", maybe I could write "I think I live here, there I think it exists".
But only a very egotistical person (we have one or two here) would claim the know "THE TRUTH", though many on this site even put "truth" or worse "TRUTH" in there name!
Australia, as proposed, is no more than a giant mass of (primarily) rock. Rocks do not have brains: thus, by Descartes, Australia thinks not, and so is not.

Wow some deep deep thinking going on, “Rocks don’t have brains”, you read it here first!  . Quod erat demonstrandum, or some such.
No, that is not the issue here. The issue is denying the antecedent.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #452 on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »

There you have it. Nightsky is, in fact, that thick.

We will have to stick with communicating in direct, literal truths or risk the hilarity of seeing you obliviously respond to satire, wit, or other forms of humor as if the posts were written in the aforementioned direct, literal truths. Hmm. Choices.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #453 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
Pluto is now nothing more than a loser and was bullied and diminished by a group of bored scientists for no reason. Sad. Aren't they a bunch of tough guys/gals?

What will they do next, give it a participation trophy to make themselves feel more human?

JackBlack

« Reply #454 on: January 27, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
Pluto is now nothing more than a loser and was bullied and diminished by a group of bored scientists for no reason. Sad. Aren't they a bunch of tough guys/gals?

What will they do next, give it a participation trophy to make themselves feel more human?
No, it was deemed to be too insignificant.
They wanted to keep planets special.
Pluto was demoted just like Ceris.
It has too much crap around it which influences it too much, so we either don't have it is a planet, or we end up with hundreds of planets in our stellar system.

« Reply #455 on: January 27, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
Sydney Australia is a major Ocean going city.
Cannot be fake in the Mojave Desert, there are no oceans in the Mojave desert.
There fore the Mojave Desert, does not exist.

p.s.
Thinking like a flat Earther is hard.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #456 on: January 27, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »
;D We have lots of "Ocean going cruise ships", but last time I was there, Sydney was certainly not an "Ocean going city". ;D
Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #457 on: January 27, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »
Quote from: Karen Lococo
Is Australia a weird country to live in?

Karen Lococo, Program Coordinator Journey to Social Inclusion at Sacred Heart Mission (2015-present)
Answered Dec 31

I moved to Australia from America 4 years ago. I wouldn’t say it is a “weird” country to live in but it is different from America. As much as I get homesick-especially around the holidays—I would never want to go back to the US. The people are friendly for the most part but for me it is the standard of living that makes it so great. I never realized how much paying my family’s health insurance reduced my wages or how burnt out I got from my job because they did not like us to take much time off—Here I get a ton of paid time off and we are encouraged to take it.

I expected that because I was moving to an English speaking westernized country it would be just like America but I was wrong. The lifestyle is different, it is not that 24/7 on the go mentality that I was used to at home. The shops (other than grocery) are open until 5:30 Sat-Wed with Thurs and Friday until 9 so it requires more planning. There are a few public holidays where nothing is open—even grocery stores which takes some getting used to BUT I prefer it. To me it speaks to the value placed on the actual workers.

I love it here—there are some weird people LOL they love to joke and use tons of self deprecating humor, drink tons of coffee and love sports.

Nightsky

« Reply #458 on: January 28, 2018, 01:49:45 AM »

We will have to stick with communicating in direct, literal truths or risk the hilarity of seeing you obliviously respond to satire, wit, or other forms of humor as if the posts were written in the aforementioned direct, literal truths. Hmm. Choices.

Smokescreen.
The issue here has nothing to do with humour or satire! Have you read some of this thread?
The issue is rather about someone showing how much of a smart ass they can be, if you think that’s ironic of even funny, then that’s your choice.
The whole irony of this thread, if it indeed has any, is it encapsulates the whole FE debate perfectly. Some misguided delusional person who thinks they know the truth batting away the facts with, clever responses like “prove it” while ignoring reality. It’s replicated throughout the forum as John with his penguins and dinosaurs, the numbskull duo with their denpressure and DET.
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
FET is wrong, unsupported by evidence, and most models are refuted on multiple fronts; those that aren't tend not to make enough predictions to be realistically falsifiable
Jane said these

JackBlack

« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:28 AM »
The whole irony of this thread, if it indeed has any, is it encapsulates the whole FE debate perfectly. Some misguided delusional person who thinks they know the truth batting away the facts with, clever responses like “prove it” while ignoring reality. It’s replicated throughout the forum as John with his penguins and dinosaurs, the numbskull duo with their denpressure and DET.
That was the intent of the thread. To show the stupidity of the FE mindset, rejecting basically all testimony and evidence gathered by others.

Nightsky

« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2018, 03:19:31 AM »

Ok let’s give you the benefit of the doubt. Point out to me the humour and irony in this thread.
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
Jane said these

Mikey T.

« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:12 AM »

Ok let’s give you the benefit of the doubt. Point out to me the humour and irony in this thread.
Benefit of the doubt?  It was painfully obvious then and now.  Plus with most jokes, the context meant something, at that time there were some threads about Australia disproving the flavor of the month FE model.  You used it to baselessly attack Jane, while many of us like to point out flaws in her logic, it is just petty to attack her.  Especially when it was a funny and obvious joke intended to parody the prevailing FE claims.  Like I summed up in animated form, you didn't get the joke.  I would suggest leaving it at that, you are making an ass of yourself.

Nightsky

« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:05 AM »

Benefit of the doubt?  It was painfully obvious then and now.  Plus with most jokes, the context meant something, at that time there were some threads about Australia disproving the flavor of the month FE model.  You used it to baselessly attack Jane, while many of us like to point out flaws in her logic, it is just petty to attack her.  Especially when it was a funny and obvious joke intended to parody the prevailing FE claims.  Like I summed up in animated form, you didn't get the joke.  I would suggest leaving it at that, you are making an ass of yourself.

So show me the joke? It’s a pretty long thread, 16 hilarious side splitting pages, so it must have one hell of a punchline.

Hold on to your sides, they may we’ll split after reading this, apparently it’s ironically funny!

“We have established there is no reliable evidence for Australia. It has not been personally verified, and those who claim to live there are either shills or don't understand that they are in the Mojave Desert.
There is also motive: money that would be sent to the country is instead added to the Conspiracy's coffers”

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:51:54 AM by Nightsky »
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
Jane said these

Mikey T.

« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
Did you comprehend what I said?  Or did you scan through it emotionally and not really read it? 
CONTEXT OF THE PERIOD.

It's like pulling up an SNL routine from the 1970s, knowing nothing about what was going on at the time.  The jokes don't always make sense.  Re-read my comment again this time try to grasp the information provided.  I suggest, again, letting it go with you didn't get the joke.  This thread started when anyway? 2015 or so.  I will have to look it up, I remember when it was started, it was quite funny at the time.

Nightsky

« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »
Did you comprehend what I said?  Or did you scan through it emotionally and not really read it? 
CONTEXT OF THE PERIOD.

It's like pulling up an SNL routine from the 1970s, knowing nothing about what was going on at the time.  The jokes don't always make sense.  Re-read my comment again this time try to grasp the information provided.  I suggest, again, letting it go with you didn't get the joke.  This thread started when anyway? 2015 or so.  I will have to look it up, I remember when it was started, it was quite funny at the time.

Ah so what your really saying you didn’t get the 16 page side splitter either. No problem, trying to explain an unfunny joke is always tedious.
Did you hear the one about the FE apologist.....now that’s really funny, ironic too.
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
Jane said these

Nightsky

« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
I get it.....Australia....not existing!
You can call me Gwyneth
I said that
Jane said these

Mikey T.

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2018, 07:20:18 AM »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
Cannot be fake in the Mojave Desert, there are no oceans in the Mojave desert.
There fore the Mojave Desert, does not exist.

p.s.
Thinking like a flat Earther is hard.

P.S. Thinking like a Flat Earther doesn't seem to be too hard for a Flat Earther. That is, if you would consider that a Flat Earther
 thinks .???

I also think that those Route 66 fans are going to be so disappointed to find out that the Mojave Desert does not exist.
Guess I better post that information on the Route 66 website.(One of my other vices.) Roy's Motel and Cafe' must not exist either.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:04:16 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2018, 09:47:50 AM »

So you understand irony, both as a concept and now, thankfully, specifically as it pertains to this thread. Why all this jibber-jabber then? Do you really feel the need to act this superior to everyone? Because that act fails when literally everyone gets the joke except you.

"Over explaining a joke is the BEST way to make the joke funnier" - No one, ever. And then, Nightsky.

« Reply #469 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
So show me the joke?
Many Flat Earth arguments utilize the logical fallacy "Argument from Ignorance", where an argument is considered true if it hasn't been proven false, despite there obviously (hopefully) being other possible conclusions.

Claiming that the argument "Australia doesn't exist" is true because it hasn't been proven false is a ridiculous example of this fallacy meant to poke fun at the people who use it in their arguments. 

No one in this thread, or any of the others like it, believe that Australia is faked.  The point is to make fun of a flawed argument style that is used all too frequently by demonstrating how absurd things can be using that type of logic.

Get it?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
So show me the joke?
Many Flat Earth arguments utilize the logical fallacy "Argument from Ignorance", where an argument is considered true if it hasn't been proven false, despite there obviously (hopefully) being other possible conclusions.

Claiming that the argument "Australia doesn't exist" is true because it hasn't been proven false is a ridiculous example of this fallacy meant to poke fun at the people who use it in their arguments. 

No one in this thread, or any of the others like it, believe that Australia is faked.  The point is to make fun of a flawed argument style that is used all too frequently by demonstrating how absurd things can be using that type of logic.

Get it?

The only problem with this is that while it may be "satire" as claimed, it is a false equivalence. Jane insisted on arguing that it is equally as logical as a space travel conspiracy, and she was wrong.

We can all move on with our lives now.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #471 on: January 29, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
So show me the joke?

Get it?

The only problem with this is that while it may be "satire" as claimed, it is a false equivalence. Jane insisted on arguing that it is equally as logical as a space travel conspiracy, and she was wrong.

We can all move on with our lives now.
If you can substitute the word "Australia" for "space travel", and the only thing in the argument that changes is how ridiculous it appears, then it isn't a false equivalence.  It's an equivalence, and both arguments are dumb.

"I haven't traveled in space and neither have you, therefore space travel doesn't exist."  is just as stupid as, "I haven't been to Australia and neither have you, therefore it doesn't exist."  Both are arguments from ignorance and should be discarded.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:42:08 AM by ItsRoundIPromise »

JackBlack

« Reply #472 on: January 29, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
The only problem with this is that while it may be "satire" as claimed, it is a false equivalence.
No it isn't.
It is a quite accurate equivalence.
There are mountains of evidence for Australia existing just like there are mountains of evidence for space travel existing.
People dismiss space travel as fake because they reject the evidence and claim that those allegedly providing evidence are lying and all the evidence is fake.
The same can be done with Australia.

The only difference is that there is a significant portion of people that will take you seriously (including believing you or agreeing with you) when you claim space travel is fake while virtually no one will take you seriously if you claim Australia is fake.
The only other difference which can be noted is that there are far more people in Australia than space, but that ignores the mountains of other technology which requires space, like GPS.

« Reply #473 on: January 29, 2018, 03:12:20 PM »
I’m a bit late to the party on this one, but the irony, if it exists, is that many flat earthers  use that very ‘argument from ignorance’ approach time and time again. In addition many flat earth arguments preclude the use of facts they don’t like, just as in this thread. For example if one is debating the subject of space travel, though why it needs debating  is beyond me, the enormous amount of evidence that supports its existance is somehow rendered null and void and the debate becomes bogged down in arguments based on both ignorance and a misunderstanding of both science and the facts. While the original question is indeed a joke it does cast some light on how the flat earth mentality works.