Universal Healthcare in Canada being reconsidered

• 254 Replies
Re: Universal Healthcare in Canada being reconsidered
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
So how does one explain denominations? Clearly if it isn't in the Bible then YHWH doesn't care that much about it.

Denominations emerge around those things which God apparently does not care much about or at least did not care enough to spell it out for us plainly. Most Christians will admit that it doesn't really matter which denomination you belong to. Even though they differ in their beliefs here and there, they are all still legit because they agree on the fundamentals.
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

Lorddave

« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
So how does one explain denominations? Clearly if it isn't in the Bible then YHWH doesn't care that much about it.

Denominations emerge around those things which God apparently does not care much about or at least did not care enough to spell it out for us plainly. Most Christians will admit that it doesn't really matter which denomination you belong to. Even though they differ in their beliefs here and there, they are all still legit because they agree on the fundamentals.

And most Christian Denominations exist because the felt the Roman Catholic Church was a bunch of power hungry, greedy, sodomizing bastards.  Which they were.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »

Don't most believe that those not in there denomination will go to hell?

I see this most hard-core in born again christians and evangelicals.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »

Er, yeah. This.

The Catholics see the Protestants as heretics, and vice versa. The hard-line ones, at least.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »

Er, yeah. This.

The Catholics see the Protestants as heretics, and vice versa. The hard-line ones, at least.

I was raised Baptist, and I don't ever remember being taught that the other denominations were going to hell for the slight differences in beliefs.  Now, maybe for some of the bigger differences, like Catholics praying to idols and saints. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »

Er, yeah. This.

I was raised Baptist, and I don't ever remember being taught that the other denominations were going to hell for the slight differences in beliefs.  Now, maybe for some of the bigger differences, like Catholics praying to idols and saints. 

I was raised Catholic and I don't remember any idol worshipping. And praising Saints hardly worshipping false gods.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2010, 08:13:04 AM »
You guys didn't pray to statues of Mary?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »
They do say the hail Mary.

Guessed

« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:51 AM »

And don't forget the tabernacle, big load of idol worship there.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »

No we didn't. And besides, praying to Mary isn't worshipping a false God.

Guessed

« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »

So Mary created the Earth in 7 days? My, she was a busy woman wasn't she?
Is Dino open source?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

So Mary created the Earth in 7 days? My, she was a busy woman wasn't she?

How is telling Mary your worries raising her to God status? Some people feel they can relate to her better so they talk to her instead of God. I don't see the big deal. Mary is just a guidance counseler, if you may, not the principal.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:36 AM »
But Mary is dead.  What good does it do to pray to her?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »

I dunno, I don't pray to her. But i'm pretty sure it's more just about actually talking to someone about the issues in their life. If they can regonise them and think about them, and contemplate them, who cares if they are talking to a dead person. So people go to loved one's graves and talk to them. Whats the difference?

Guessed

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »

I dunno, I don't pray to her. But i'm pretty sure it's more just about actually talking to someone about the issues in their life. If they can regonise them and think about them, and contemplate them, who cares if they are talking to a dead person. So people go to loved one's graves and talk to them. Whats the difference?

I'm pretty sure people worship golden oxen because it's more about talking to a god that is applicable to them in their life. If they can recognize it and think about it and contemplate it, who cares if it's a "false" idol. So people worship all kinds of shit. What's the difference?
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
they are not worshiping Mary. they are asking her to talk to God for them.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
In most Christian denominations, only God can hear your prayers?
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of it.  I just know that according to the bible you're only supposed to pray to God... unless there's something in the bible that says it's ok to pray to Mary and the saints?  The Catholic version of Christianity always seemed so complicated compared to the Baptist version I grew up with. 

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure people worship golden oxen because it's more about talking to a god that is applicable to them in their life. If they can recognize it and think about it and contemplate it, who cares if it's a "false" idol. So people worship all kinds of shit. What's the difference?

You keep missing the point that praying and worshipping are two different things.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of it.  I just know that according to the bible you're only supposed to pray to God...

Would you mind providing a passage for me that says that?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
Have you provided the passages that say you should pray to Mary and the saints? There are several passages that refer to praying to God.  Why would you assume that you should pray to anyone else?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7)

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18) (for the saints, not to them)

I don't have time to look up more.. but I'd really like to read some passages about praying (worshiping) Mary or any of the saints.  Prayer is a form of worship.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
Have you provided the passages that say you should pray to Mary and the saints? There are several passages that refer to praying to God.  Why would you assume that you should pray to anyone else?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7)

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds
 of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18) (for the saints, not to them)

I don't have time to look up more.. but I'd really like to read some passages about praying (worshiping) Mary or any of the saints.  Prayer is a form of worship.

Alright. I'll try if I can find an actual computer. I'm on a phone right now so it is quite hard to copy and paste and go to other websites at any efficient rate.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
Bah.. I've spent too much time reading wacko evangelical sites now.  (no offense to any wacko evangelicals)

I don't think there is a passage in the bible that specifically states that people shouldn't ask the saints for help with their prayers (or one that says you should).  There's one that says Jesus is the only mediator, but it is referring to Jesus dying for our sins, and not prayer. 

I think the biggest difference in our dogmas is that I was raised to believe that all Christians are saints, and Catholics seem to think that a saint has to be decided upon by the pope. I should've been praying to my grandpa for help all these years!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2010, 02:52:42 AM »
I imagine it matter what prayer is to you.  If you are praying to god for forgiveness, or what not ok.  But if you are praying for guidance or for self reflection I don't see the issue praying to Mary or Fred Flintstone, or whoever is of use.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2010, 02:54:34 AM »
Have you provided the passages that say you should pray to Mary and the saints? There are several passages that refer to praying to God.  Why would you assume that you should pray to anyone else?

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18) (for the saints, not to them)

I don't have time to look up more.. but I'd really like to read some passages about praying (worshiping) Mary or any of the saints.  Prayer is a form of worship.
How the actual translation differences for "for the saints" and "to them".  Unfortunately, I'm not a scholar of languages.  

However, that says nothing of not praying to them.  Why would you assume you can't?

Anyways its irrelevant.  In the cases where people pray to Mary, Saints etc it is more accurate to say they are praying *with* the saints not to them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:56:58 AM by John Davis »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
I think the issue is that those are humans who are dead and can't "hear" prayers.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
I think the issue is that those are humans who are dead and can't "hear" prayers.

What's the big deal though? If it makes them happy, it doesn't hurt anyone, and God doesn't say you can't do it, why should it matter?

Guessed

« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »

What's the big deal though? If it makes them happy, it doesn't hurt anyone, and God doesn't say you can't do it, why should it matter?

It seems, to me, a bit hypocritical. God is the only one who can actually do anything about their problems (i.e. answer their prayers) so praying to a dead human vessel who cannot do anything about their problems, is tantamount to praying to a false god in my opinion. Erecting statues to the Mary and praying to them is the same as praying to a golden cow. They're ascribing "godly" attributes (forgiveness, comfort, etc) to a human.
Is Dino open source?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »

It seems, to me, a bit hypocritical. God is the only one who can actually do anything about their problems (i.e. answer their prayers) so praying to a dead human vessel who cannot do anything about their problems, is tantamount to praying to a false god in my opinion. Erecting statues to the Mary and praying to them is the same as praying to a golden cow. They're ascribing "godly" attributes (forgiveness, comfort, etc) to a human.

Humans cannot forgive or comfort others? Besides, they aren' just a dead human vessel. They are in heaven and are Saints.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:08:11 PM by EnglshGentleman »

Guessed

« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »

Humans cannot forgive or comfort others? Besides, they aren' just a dead human vessel. They are in heaven and are Saints.

But if you're praying to a deity in heaven, then it should rightfully be god that you're praying to. Otherwise, the way I see it, you're saying that god's not the right man for that particular job, and by extension you're picking someone who you are more comfortable with to pray to. This is all well and good, but it implies that one does not have their entire faith in god. If god is perfect, there should be no need to pray to Mary and the saints. This leads me to two conclusions.

Either,

1) By praying to Mary and the saints, catholics acknowledge that god is not infallible and perfect

or

2) Catholics willingly pray to human spirits who used god's power to perform miracle (in the process elevating them to a deity status) therefore praying to false idols (after all, it was the power of god which made the miracles through human vessels, and not the humans themselves).

Either way, the notion of praying to anyone but god (and this practice being sanctioned by the Catholic church) is absurd. No?
Is Dino open source?