'The Root of All Evil?' -- Afterthoughts

• 5 Replies
?

Ubuntu

« on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »
So I've returned from watching The God Delusion and The Virus of Faith and I'll post my irrelevant opinion on this forum. Firstly, I would like to sincerely recommend to anyone who has the time and will to take some time to watch this movie (here is the DVD online).

The videography alone is enough to make this documentary a worthwhile watch. The film is 90 minutes long, and features an interview with Ted Haggard, as well as many other religious figures and teachers. Dawkins also interviews non-religious people. As for our dear Teddy H, this is how my mother put it:

Ted Haggard: "Don't be arrogant"

...says the most arrogant man alive.

For a sampling of the type of thing you'll see in the film, there are samplings (and even the entire movie) on YouTube.

The best, my favourite, part of the movie, I think, is an anecdote that Dawkin tells:

From Dawkins' undergraduate study -- when a visiting researcher disproved a hypothesis of a professor, who accepted the outcome with "My dear fellow, I wish to thank you, I have been wrong these fifteen years."

Even if you outright disagree with this biologist, you will not be lacking in stimulation for a good conversation afterwards.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
I look forward to watching it, thank you.
ooyakasha!

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »
Very stimulating. I highly recommend it. However, Dawkins is best in his books, when he has lots of time to develop ideas.
the cake is a lie

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
Very stimulating. I highly recommend it. However, Dawkins is best in his books, when he has lots of time to develop ideas.

But then you can't see his very sexy on-screen personality  :wink:

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:15:32 AM »
I already did on South Park D:
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
"Oh Ms. Garrison"
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli