• 29 Replies

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
Alternative sources of energy
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
These statements are conflicting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37470151/ns/politics-white_house

Obama: Stop tax breaks for oil companies

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says it's time to roll back "billions of dollars in tax breaks" for oil companies and use the money for clean energy research and development.

Obama made the comments Wednesday in a speech at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

He said the catastrophic Gulf oil spill shows the country must move toward clean energy by embracing energy efficiency, tapping natural gas and nuclear power eliminating tax breaks for big oil.  Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

Obama said that the Gulf spill "may prove to be a result of human error ? or corporations taking dangerous shortcuts that compromised safety" ? but that deepwater drilling is inherently risky and America cannot rely solely on fossil fuels.[/blue]

(Then) Senator Obama voted for the energy bill, and
Then Obama's campaign had this to say ... >>
#5)  (also Aug 2008) " ... an energy bill that – while far from perfect – represented the largest investment in renewable sources of energy in the history of this country."  If the bill had no proposals for any solutions, then why did he sign it, and furthermore with no new solutions, how can he or his campaign say "the largest investment in renewable sources of energy."  Gas/ oil are not -  Duh.

How are the phrases "cannot rely solely on fossil fuels";  "largest investment in renewable resources"; and "tapping natural gas and nuclear power"  EVEN related and how can one put those in the same philosophy or lump together in one's ideology?  You can't.
  • If he says he wants to tap natural gas - that is still a fossil fuel, and still a non-renewable source of energy, because it cannot be replenished in a human timeframe.  They do not fit either category he is claiming they would.
  • If he wants nuclear energy, well then he needs to understand that nuclear power is generated by Uranium, which although is not a fossil fuel, it is NOT renewable since it is a metal that is mined.

Note to Obama and his administration:  Not all non-fossil fuels = renewable sources of energy.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:46:41 AM by Colonel Gaydafi »
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
Re: Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - renewable resources & fossil fuels
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
I don't see what the conflict is. Obama said we have to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, not remove them completely at once. Pollution-wise, natural gas and nuclear power are much better than coal/petroleum.

It's simple. We increase usage of natural gas and nuclear in order to compensate for using less coal/petroleum. Less pollution while meeting the same energy goals. All the while, we invest heavily in renewable energy research and development so that those sources will be ready and viable by the time we need to move away from natural gas and nuclear.

It's like nicotine gum. You use it to wean yourself off your addiction to the more dangerous substance, until you can quit completely.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »
I don't see what the conflict is. Obama said we have to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, not remove them completely at once. Pollution-wise, natural gas and nuclear power are much better than coal/petroleum.

It's simple. We increase usage of natural gas and nuclear in order to compensate for using less coal/petroleum. Less pollution while meeting the same energy goals. All the while, we invest heavily in renewable energy research and development so that those sources will be ready and viable by the time we need to move away from natural gas and nuclear.

It's like nicotine gum. You use it to wean yourself off your addiction to the more dangerous substance, until you can quit completely.
Totally understood my friend - (your point that is), but when Obama said needing renewable sources of energy back in 2008, but signed a bill back in 2008 as then Senator Obama, he signed a bill that did not match up with what he said they were trying to do.  That bill did not call for limiting fossil fuels (which is non-renewable), but gave tax breaks to big oil companies.  And what he says now is still wrong, which is "the country must move toward clean energy by embracing energy efficiency, tapping natural gas and nuclear power."  How is that cleaner?  And how does it resolve the problem of non-fossil fuels, and renewable sources of energy?  How does it set us up for the future so we don't have another problem?  Retorical questions.  Will explain below.

I do agree with you that natural gas is better and cleaner, and can be used for electricity, and puts out less emmissions, and during it's processing of burning natural gas it also uses less water IF done in a combustion turbine versus a gas-fired boiler and combined cycle system.  So yes there are many pros to this fuel, and millionaire Pickens has been pro-gas for some time.

But in addition to natural gas being a fossil fuel, it is not renewable, just as gasoline, diesel, propane, and oil are not.  But it also has additional problems because of drilling.  Gas drilling can be on land, - that is true, but the majority of them are offshore deep into the ocean.  We may have the same problem as this Gulf oil spill, but it will be a gas spill instead.  You also have water discharges and air emissions that are pollutants.  Water discharges do not happen with the combustion turbine, but do with the other system I formally mentioned.  Has anyone thought of that?  Is the government going to make that a stipulation?  While the air emissions are less than oil or coal - they are not pollutant free, and natural gas is not "Green" by any means, only greener than what we've been using.  Methane can be emitted into the air when natural gas is not burned completely, and emitted through leaks and losses during transportation.  Nitrogen Oxides and Carbon Dioxide are also released into the air when natural gas is burned at the power plant, although these quantities are less than oil or coal.  And because gas and electric go hand in hand there are usually wastewater ponds or holding ponds that can leak and cause ground water contamination.  Even if the ponds are lined, who is to say that these liners will not leak over time?  Huge plants like these are not built in ritzy, wealthy, upper-class neighborhoods, but in poor areas of town where most of them would not even have enough education to know about these potential dangers until it's too late.

I agree that natural gas is better than oil or coal, but knowing the U.S.'s lazy way of doing things, proper systems will not be put in place by the government, and plants themselves will probably not comply anyhow, and there will not be enough checks by the EPA  (Environmental Protection Agency), or FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission).  Why do I say this, because the government has not done much before, which is why there are so many class-action lawsuits in America.  And the plants won't do it either, because it is cheaper to pay the lawsuits, than to make modifications to their systems.  Mykael perhaps you don't have this problem in Canada, but we do here in America. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I do hope this new "Green" bill will actually focus on REAL green technologies, and put money aside for the research of such.  Time will tell.

Your thoughts or additions?

Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

?

Mykael

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:07:22 PM »
Totally understood my friend - (your point that is), but when Obama said needing renewable sources of energy back in 2008, but signed a bill back in 2008 as then Senator Obama, he signed a bill that did not match up with what he said they were trying to do.  That bill did not call for limiting fossil fuels (which is non-renewable), but gave tax breaks to big oil companies. 
Which I would oppose. It's not about Obama for me: it's about getting renewable energy sources like wind, solar, and tidal into the mainstream. If Obama is the one to propose it, I support him (on that issue). If he doesn't, then I support whoever does.

And what he says now is still wrong, which is "the country must move toward clean energy by embracing energy efficiency, tapping natural gas and nuclear power."  How is that cleaner?
Less emissions and we have more of them, as I stated before.

While the air emissions are less than oil or coal - they are not pollutant free, and natural gas is not "Green" by any means, only greener than what we've been using. 
Completely agreed, natural gas isn't "green" when compared to solar or wind. "Green" is a relative term though, and natural gas/nuclear fission is "green" when compared to what we're using now.

I agree that natural gas is better than oil or coal, but knowing the U.S.'s lazy way of doing things, proper systems will not be put in place by the government, and plants themselves will probably not comply anyhow, and there will not be enough checks by the EPA  (Environmental Protection Agency), or FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission).  Why do I say this, because the government has not done much before, which is why there are so many class-action lawsuits in America.  And the plants won't do it either, because it is cheaper to pay the lawsuits, than to make modifications to their systems.  Mykael perhaps you don't have this problem in Canada, but we do here in America. 
Indeed.

Not much, I think you covered everything pretty well. The only thing I'd like to add is that I'd like to see a fair portion of the research funds go to more emergent sources of energy/energy storage, namely water electrolysis (hydrogen storage), space-based power arrays, and nuclear fusion.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »

getting renewable energy sources like wind, solar, and tidal into the mainstream.

Agree with this statement. ^^

Indeed.

Not sure what you mean here ^^.  Indeed about what I said about the statement as it applies to America OR that you guys have the same problem in Canada?

Not much, I think you covered everything pretty well. The only thing I'd like to add is that I'd like to see a fair portion of the research funds go to more emergent sources of energy/energy storage, namely water electrolysis (hydrogen storage), space-based power arrays, and nuclear fusion.

Funds going there for research yes - but if I remember correctly there are several barriers which inhibit hydrogen deployment as a transportation fuel, AND they are years if not decades away from making hydrogen commercially available.   Also the nuclear fusion you mentioned, I believe I would support that as well, and I think (but if wrong please correct me) - it is different than regular nuclear energy.  Nuclear energy I would object to for the same reasons we had the natural gas discussion in a previous post.  Nuclear energy uses uranium and plutonium that are also non-renewable sources, and uranium requires mining, and the extraction process produces some harmful waste by-products (although less than coal).  It also can expose one to radiation, although that too is less than a coal burning plant.  Also the NRC and OSHA does not do a good job on checking behind those plants either.  If it is different than regular nuclear energy like I think it is, then yes I would think that possibly fusion is a viable option.  BUT just curious on why you like fusion versus fission, for there are different schools of thought on that as to each one being better than the other, however I understand that both are really not cost effective.  Since Obama has closed our manned-space program, I do not think the space-based power arrays would be a viable option for Americans, unless it could be done with robotics.

On a sidenote:  Also Geothermal power would probably not be an option, since it is for electricity and not for fuel for vehicles, unless they completely change vehicle production as well.  And not that we don't need alternative sources of energy in that field too, but historically it's been limited to areas near tectonic plate boundaries.  And I'm not real keen on biomass or biofuels either; I'm riding the fence on that one.  What's your take on that?

?

Mykael

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »
Not sure what you mean here ^^.  Indeed about what I said about the statement as it applies to America OR that you guys have the same problem in Canada?
As it applies to America.

Funds going there for research yes - but if I remember correctly there are several barriers which inhibit hydrogen deployment as a transportation fuel, AND they are years if not decades away from making hydrogen commercially available.
I know. The tech I mentioned in my closing comment last post was all acknowledged to be at least a decade away.

Also the nuclear fusion you mentioned, I believe I would support that as well, and I think (but if wrong please correct me) - it is different than regular nuclear energy.  Nuclear energy I would object to for the same reasons we had the natural gas discussion in a previous post.  Nuclear energy uses uranium and plutonium that are also non-renewable sources, and uranium requires mining, and the extraction process produces some harmful waste by-products (although less than coal).  It also can expose one to radiation, although that too is less than a coal burning plant.
Nuclear fusion and nuclear fission are essentially mirror images of each other.

Fission involves taking superheavy, unstable elements and splitting their nucleus to release energy (and two smaller atoms of a different element). Fusion involves taking two or three small atoms and fusing them together into a single, larger atom. Fusion releases more energy than fission does, but it requires extreme heat and pressure to destabilize the atoms enough that they can fuse.

All conventional nuclear energy we use today is fission. Examples of fission reactions include modern nuclear powerplants and the first atomic bombs (A-Bombs). Examples of fusion include the hydrogen bomb and our Sun (every star is powered by nuclear fusion). Scientists have been able to create controlled fusion reactions in experimental reactors (hydrogen bombs are an example of an uncontrolled fusion reaction), but these experimental reactors have so far been unable to reach the breakeven point (where the reactor generates more power than is required to run it). The ITER reactor is being planned to be built in 2012/2013 as an international scientific mega-project, and is expected to generate 10x more energy than is required to maintain the reaction conditions.

Still there? Bear with me...

If it is different than regular nuclear energy like I think it is, then yes I would think that possibly fusion is a viable option.  BUT just curious on why you like fusion versus fission, for there are different schools of thought on that as to each one being better than the other, however I understand that both are really not cost effective.
Providing we're able to design a working reactor, fusion is better than fission in every possible way.

• The required fuel (tritium and deuterium, which are hydrogen isotopes) are incredibly abundant in seawater and practically everywhere else, which means we will have fuel for tens of thousands of years if not more.
  • Fusion reactors would be much safer than current fission-based ones. Fission reactions require large amounts of fuel present before the reaction becomes significant, but fusion can be performed with any amount of fuel (small batches of hydrogen instead of large quantities of radioactive material). This means that if something does go wrong and the plasma containment fails, there will not be enough fuel present in the reactor to cause an explosion or meltdown.
  • More energy is released with fusion, as I stated before.
  • The waste product (helium) is harmless in pretty much any quantity.

Basically, fusion is the power source that comes into play 50-100 years from now. It's too far away to be viable any time soon, but it's the thing that will be used to space exploration and to take over once renewables like solar and wind begin to fall short.

Since Obama has closed our manned-space program, I do not think the space-based power arrays would be a viable option for Americans, unless it could be done with robotics.
Obama did the right thing in that case. Until alternative methods of accessing earth orbit become available (it costs $50,000 per pound to launch something into space right now), manned space missions simply aren't viable. Maybe once we get around to building a mass driver or a space elevator.

Also, this.

On a sidenote:  Also Geothermal power would probably not be an option, since it is for electricity and not for fuel for vehicles, unless they completely change vehicle production as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_roadster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Volt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_Hybrid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle#Production
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_F3DM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/378351_plugins09.html

All of those examples are vehicles that have been or are being produced. Plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles are starting to hit mainstream... electricity can be car fuel.

And I'm not real keen on biomass or biofuels either; I'm riding the fence on that one.  What's your take on that?
They're part of the picture. The thing about alternative energy sources is that there's no one source that can take over and provide all of our energy... we need a diverse mix depending on which natural resources are available locally. Biomass and biofuels have promise in their respective areas, but I don't expect them to get as big as solar, wind, and tidal are going to be.

Biodiesel, on the other hand, is a great small-scale project for people looking to reduce the amount of fossil fuels they use. You can make it fairly easily from used kitchen/vegetable oil, and the exhaust from your car smells like whatever the oil was used to cook.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:47:18 PM by Myjafjallajokul »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
Re: Alternative sources of energy
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 05:47:09 AM »
*sigh* fine
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Mykael

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:19:52 AM »
Thanks Gayer  :)

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
Babs asked me first and I said I'd do it if someone else complained too. DAMN YOU MAKING ME PUT IN EXTRA EFFORT
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Mykael

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »
I'm sorry I made you do moderator-stuff, Gayer.  :'(

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »

Also the nuclear fusion you mentioned, I believe I would support that as well, and I think (but if wrong please correct me) - it is different than regular nuclear energy.  Nuclear energy I would object to for the same reasons we had the natural gas discussion in a previous post.  Nuclear energy uses uranium and plutonium that are also non-renewable sources, and uranium requires mining, and the extraction process produces some harmful waste by-products (although less than coal).  It also can expose one to radiation, although that too is less than a coal burning plant.

Nuclear fusion and nuclear fission are essentially mirror images of each other.

Fission involves taking superheavy, unstable elements and splitting their nucleus to release energy (and two smaller atoms of a different element). Fusion involves taking two or three small atoms and fusing them together into a single, larger atom. Fusion releases more energy than fission does, but it requires extreme heat and pressure to destabilize the atoms enough that they can fuse.

All conventional nuclear energy we use today is fission. Examples of fission reactions include modern nuclear powerplants and the first atomic bombs (A-Bombs). Examples of fusion include the hydrogen bomb and our Sun (every star is powered by nuclear fusion). Scientists have been able to create controlled fusion reactions in experimental reactors (hydrogen bombs are an example of an uncontrolled fusion reaction), but these experimental reactors have so far been unable to reach the breakeven point (where the reactor generates more power than is required to run it). The ITER reactor is being planned to be built in 2012/2013 as an international scientific mega-project, and is expected to generate 10x more energy than is required to maintain the reaction conditions.

Yes I understand about the fission using splitting, and fusion using fusing, and also the Atomic bombs with Fission and Hydrogen bombs with Fusion.  My mother worked at the Atomic Energy Commission decades ago under Admiral Rickover, who was the father of the Nuclear Navy, and produced the 1st nuclear powered submarine, as well as the founder of the Nuclear Power School.  He started an engineering program for operation and maintenance of ships propelled by nuclear reactors.  So I have some knowledge there.  My only question was in reference to what the nuclear energy or nuclear power plants are CALLED today, which you answered above.  Perhaps I did not make my question clear or maybe you were providing additional info, for not knowing how much I may or may not have known on the subject.  It’s Ok. - No problem.  Since your clarifying the name it is called, then yes I would still object to the nuclear power plants they use today (with fission) as stated above in my quote and for the same reason I oppose the natural gas discussion we previously had.  My additional question on “… just curious …” is explained below.   

Still there? Bear with me...

If it is different than regular nuclear energy like I think it is, then yes I would think that possibly fusion is a viable option.  BUT just curious on why you like fusion versus fission, for there are different schools of thought on that as to each one being better than the other, however I understand that both are really not cost effective.
Sorry to interrupt in the middle of your thought or post, but I wanted to address the “just curious” section.  As far as being “curious”  I was relating to different schools of thought, because some say to fuse (by fusion) is easier (and also more stable), than splitting (separating, dividing) through fission.  However not all feel this way, and an engineer who had worked for the navy for many years (more recently), who is not a practicing engineer as a civilian now has a different view, and finds fission to be easy and fusion to be difficult.  He also discusses a silly theory based on some, whom as he thought, performed an unworthy experiment.  In his article he also references 3 others sites.  Here is the link >>
http://www.atomicinsights.com/AI_03-04-05.html

And besides fusion has its own problems which I will address below, but after your quote first. 

Providing we're able to design a working reactor, fusion is better than fission in every possible way.

• The required fuel (tritium and deuterium, which are hydrogen isotopes) are incredibly abundant in seawater and practically everywhere else, which means we will have fuel for tens of thousands of years if not more.
  • Fusion reactors would be much safer than current fission-based ones. Fission reactions require large amounts of fuel present before the reaction becomes significant, but fusion can be performed with any amount of fuel (small batches of hydrogen instead of large quantities of radioactive material). This means that if something does go wrong and the plasma containment fails, there will not be enough fuel present in the reactor to cause an explosion or meltdown.
  • More energy is released with fusion, as I stated before.
  • The waste product (helium) is harmless in pretty much any quantity.

Basically, fusion is the power source that comes into play 50-100 years from now. It's too far away to be viable any time soon, but it's the thing that will be used to space exploration and to take over once renewables like solar and wind begin to fall short.

Yes I understand what you are saying in reference to fusion as being better, and I agree, however it is not without its own problems.  (see list)
  • With fusion, few radioactive particles are released, unless a fission trigger is also used with it.
  • Fusion can normally occur in nature, whereas fission usually does not, however there have been examples of fission doing just that by uranium deposits found that could self sustain a natural chain reaction.
  • If a nuclear fusion reaction would occur, then radioactive materials produced could vaporize anything in the immediate vicinity.
  • It takes less energy required to split 2 atoms with fission than joining them by fusion.
  • Fusion takes a lot of energy thereby making it not cost efficient.
  • Although the energy released or produced by fusion is much greater than with fission, it also takes a lot more energy to complete the whole process of fusion.
  • Some people feel it is a leap to go from tiny bubbles in a test tube to that of creating nuclear fusion.
  • And lastly as you stated above “providing we are able to design a nuclear reactor” (for fusion) – showing we still do not have one ready yet.  Again this means years, or maybe decades before this can be implemented as well.

So while I agree fusion is safer, it is not without problems, and if I had to pick one over the other, then of course I would go with fusion over fission, however I really like the idea of wind, solar, and tidal even better.

Since Obama has closed our manned-space program, I do not think the space-based power arrays would be a viable option for Americans, unless it could be done with robotics.

Obama did the right thing in that case. Until alternative methods of accessing earth orbit become available (it costs $50,000 per pound to launch something into space right now), manned space missions simply aren't viable. Maybe once we get around to building a mass driver or a space elevator.

Also, this.

I did review this ^^ link, however there are little people being served – less than 300k.

I will later address the other 2 sections of your last post, but this one is already lengthy.  And before I do – any thoughts?  Also sorry so long to reply, but I am having problems with my computer on the FES ever since I added some updates from Windows/ Microsoft, and lost everything in my post.  I had to type over by copy and pasting in word and the post here.

?

Mykael

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
    [With fusion, few radioactive particles are released, unless a fission trigger is also used with it.[/li][/list]
    Which no-one would ever do in a fusion reactor. Fission triggers are really only used in thermonuclear bombs.

• If a nuclear fusion reaction would occur, then radioactive materials produced could vaporize anything in the immediate vicinity.
    Not really. See back to my point where I mentioned how fusion can be scaled down to only use small amounts of hydrogen at a time.

• It takes less energy required to split 2 atoms with fission than joining them by fusion.
    • Although the energy released or produced by fusion is much greater than with fission, it also takes a lot more energy to complete the whole process of fusion.
    True, it's the main weakness of fusion right now. If a self-sustaining reactions can be created though, or if a reactor can produce a high output:cost ratio, fusion will be considered viable.

• Some people feel it is a leap to go from tiny bubbles in a test tube to that of creating nuclear fusion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_European_Torus

Fusion can be done on a large (reactor-sized) scale, it's not just a test-tube thing.

• And lastly as you stated above “providing we are able to design a nuclear reactor” (for fusion) – showing we still do not have one ready yet.  Again this means years, or maybe decades before this can be implemented as well.
    Yep. It's fairly distant in the future, although that doesn't make it unimportant.

So while I agree fusion is safer, it is not without problems, and if I had to pick one over the other, then of course I would go with fusion over fission, however I really like the idea of wind, solar, and tidal even better.
    As do I. At some point in the future, though, those energy sources won't be enough. It's important that we have viable fusion technologies ready to implement when that point comes.

Lorddave

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
    Not sure if it was mentioned but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7972865.stm
    You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
    Re: Alt Sources - More on Fusion VS. Fission
    « Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »
      [With fusion, few radioactive particles are released, unless a fission trigger is also used with it.[/li][/list]
      Which no-one would ever do in a fusion reactor. Fission triggers are really only used in thermonuclear bombs.

Ok understood.

Not really. See back to my point where I mentioned how fusion can be scaled down to only use small amounts of hydrogen at a time.

Ok possibly, but IF fusion can be scaled down.  - See link and scroll about half way down to "Effects of fusion vs. fission"  >> http://www.diffen.com/difference/Nuclear_Fission_vs_Nuclear_Fusion

True, it's the main weakness of fusion right now. If a self-sustaining reactions can be created though, or if a reactor can produce a high output:cost ratio, fusion will be considered viable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_European_Torus

Fusion can be done on a large (reactor-sized) scale, it's not just a test-tube thing.

That comment I made was in reference to the man's article I quoted.  I didn't know for sure, but it was his take on it, as a previous engineer for the Navy, and I mostly wanted your take on it Myk.

• And lastly as you stated above “providing we are able to design a nuclear reactor” (for fusion) – showing we still do not have one ready yet.  Again this means years, or maybe decades before this can be implemented as well.
      Yep. It's fairly distant in the future, although that doesn't make it unimportant.

As do I. At some point in the future, though, those energy sources won't be enough. It's important that we have viable fusion technologies ready to implement when that point comes.

Myk I will get around to reading the link you provided (in further detail) when I'm not so tired.

Not sure if it was mentioned but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7972865.stm

Same to you Dave, when I get around to it, I will read and comment.
      « Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:10:17 PM by babsinva »

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      Re: Oil Spill - Renewable Resources & Geothermal Power etc.
      « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:46 PM »
      I never got around to answering the last part of your last post, until now.  (also edited my last post, but only for a spelling error - nothing changed.)

On a sidenote:  Also Geothermal power would probably not be an option, since it is for electricity and not for fuel for vehicles, unless they completely change vehicle production as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_roadster
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Volt
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_Hybrid
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle#Production
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_F3DM
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV
      http://www.seattlepi.com/local/378351_plugins09.html

All of those examples are vehicles that have been or are being produced. Plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles are starting to hit mainstream... electricity can be car fuel.

Of course I am aware of this, and yes we have hybrid cars in the U.S.  The problem is that they weren't very good to start with here in the U.S.  People (buyers) were hoping that those hybrids would use gas last, and not first.  It ended up being bad on short trips, (tapping into the gas first) when one used it - in and around town, stop and go traffic, back and forth to work, etc.  It was REALLY only good on gas for long trips, which pretty much limited it to traveling salespeople who covered a territory, or on long interstate trips when you took a far away vacation by vehicle instead of plane, train or bus.  As time went by, the vehicle was improved and was even good for short trips, thereby using gas last.  But even then, those hybrids did not claim what they said they would do.  The manufacturers would say their so and so car gets 51 -52 mpg (miles per gallon) even on short trips, but when tested by others it was found that the manufacturers were "puffing up" the ability of their cars a bit, and maybe it really only got something like 39 - 42 mpg on short trips.  They have improved again since then, but it has taken them eons of time to do this.  See below:

• Approx 1973, the U.S. Dept of Energy ran tests on electric hybrids that were experimental or prototypes.
      • In '74 the Federal Clean Car Incentive pushed engineers to work harder and the U.S Environmental Protection Agency tested those vehicles.
      • In 1975 the U.S. Post Office workers began driving the new test subjects.
      • In '76 Congress enacted into public law the Electric Hybrid Vehicle Research and Development and Demonstration Act
      • Then more consortium programs along with manufacturers announcing documents outlining their goals continued to happen up til the mid 90's.
      • Then Japan got their cars, then Europe, and U.S. was one of the last, and only in test markets.
      • 1997 to 1999 California got certain vehicles.
      • In '99 finally Honda released the first 2-door car the "Insight", which did hit the mass market - FINALLY - but these early cars were horrible.  They got a little better in 2003/2004, and again in 2007/ 2008, but the battery was $5,000 U.S. dollars, which many people felt like that was not a good trade-off, because in bad economies not everyone has 5K to plop down all at one time.
      • Although they have continued improving since then, it shows how long it takes to get anything done around here, and really if you want to go WAY BACK - the 1st hybrid car with steam was in the 1600's, and later electric cars, then light electric motors with heavy storage batteries, then the experimentation of different batteries, and with different number of cells.  So in 350 plus years that's all the further we've come.  I remember reading an article back around 2005/ 2006 that hybrids still had a long way to go and was about 20 years away from being a reality as far as really helping with our gas consumption in the U.S.  The U.S. is a big gas hog, since we go everywhere with our cars, unlike some European countries that can take a bus, jitney, etc.

Will answer the last part later, but it's getting late.  I did respond to your last post here - before this one, so now you have 2 to read this thread.  Maybe catcha 2MRO.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:22:20 PM by babsinva »

Lorddave

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »
      Well the Chevy Volt uses Electricity first and Gas last not because it's a hybrid, but because it's designed that way.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Mykael

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
      Well the Chevy Volt uses Electricity first and Gas last not because it's a hybrid, but because it's designed that way.
      Indeed. As a matter of fact, the volt does not use gasoline for propulsion at all. When battery charge runs out, it uses the gas in an electric generator, which then powers the engine and recharges the battery.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:34:15 AM »
      Indeed. As a matter of fact, the volt does not use gasoline for propulsion at all. When battery charge runs out, it uses the gas in an electric generator, which then powers the engine and recharges the battery.
      That's ^^ not exactly right - their website says something different.

A good thing is that unlike other Lithium-ion batteries that do not have a long shelf life, this one should since it is said ... >>
      The Volt's 375 lb (170 kg), 220-cell lithium-ion battery (Li-ion) pack is anticipated to store 16 kW·h of energy,[1][81] but will be restricted (in software) to use only 8.8 kW·h of this capacity to maximize the life of the pack.

However there are still controversies .. >>
      "GM is at least one generation behind Toyota on advanced, “green” powertrain development. In an attempt to leapfrog Toyota, GM has devoted significant resources to the Chevy Volt." and that "while the Chevy Volt holds promise, it is currently projected to be much more expensive than its gasoline-fueled peers and will likely need substantial reductions in manufacturing cost in order to become commercially viable."

Other problems:  And I still don't know how much this replacement battery will cost me, for they do not even have a firm price on the car yet - they say between 30-40K.
      It takes a longer time to charge this car than the Toyota (less than 2 and up to 3 hrs), with the Chevy taking 4 - 10 hours to charge, and you will not get the full benefit of 40 miles each time, depending on the climate where you live, as well as air conditioning, and other devices / frills used on the car.  Although there is no special battery charging station necessary, the accessibility of charging is still a challenging one, because of the long charge time, so not everyone at work will be able to charge when they get to their destination.  Even though a partial charge will help some, there is not going to be 200 outlets at places of employment so everyone can partially charge in order to then drive back home.  You can of course use the gas in the electric generator for going home, but also it will be a fairly sluggish car since the Toyota has a 1.8 and yet this vehicle has a 1.4. L  4cyl engine, but much heavier - but hey it's a start.  They are ahead of schedule and that part is good, for Europe in 2011, in Austrailia 2012, and I think here in the U.S. 2011.  We'll see.  I've just never been a big fan of American cars, for they have always let me down.  I have had Chevys, Buicks, Chryslers, and Fords - ALL crap, until I turned to Hondas and Toyotas; only problem is the 3rd generation Toyota Prius will be even longer before it's available.  I'd also like to know where the tryanny is located, because if it's anything like the Saab - you gotta take a bunch of stuff out in order to get to it - thereby ALOT of labor cost.  Maybe we'll know more as time approaches.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:24:22 AM by babsinva »

?

Mykael

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
      Other problems:  And I still don't know how much this replacement battery will cost me, for they do not even have a firm price on the car yet - they say between 30-40K.
      It takes a longer time to charge this car than the Toyota (less than 2 and up to 3 hrs), with the Chevy taking 4 - 10 hours to charge, and you will not get the full benefit of 40 miles each time, depending on the climate where you live, as well as air conditioning, and other devices / frills used on the car.  Although there is no special battery charging station necessary, the accessibility of charging is still a challenging one, because of the long charge time, so not everyone at work will be able to charge when they get to their destination.  Even though a partial charge will help some, there is not going to be 200 outlets at places of employment so everyone can partially charge in order to then drive back home.  You can of course use the gas in the electric generator for going home, but also it will be a fairly sluggish car since the Toyota has a 1.8 and yet this vehicle has a 1.4. L  4cyl engine, but much heavier - but hey it's a start.  They are ahead of schedule and that part is good, for Europe in 2011, in Austrailia 2012, and I think here in the U.S. 2011.  We'll see.  I've just never been a big fan of American cars, for they have always let me down.  I have had Chevys, Buicks, Chryslers, and Fords - ALL crap, until I turned to Hondas and Toyotas; only problem is the 3rd generation Toyota Prius will be even longer before it's available.  I'd also like to know where the tryanny is located, because if it's anything like the Saab - you gotta take a bunch of stuff out in order to get to it - thereby ALOT of labor cost.  Maybe we'll know more as time approaches.

I see you didn't read my post.

The Prius uses its gasoline engine for propulsion, whereas the volt merely uses it for electrical generation. It does not power the wheels directly; the Volt's responsiveness depends on it's main electric motor (and electric motors have craptons of torque).

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
      It takes a longer time to charge this car than the Toyota (less than 2 and up to 3 hrs), with the Chevy taking 4 - 10 hours to charge, and you will not get the full benefit of 40 miles each time, depending on the climate where you live, as well as air conditioning, and other devices / frills used on the car.  Although there is no special battery charging station necessary, the accessibility of charging is still a challenging one, because of the long charge time, so not everyone at work will be able to charge when they get to their destination.  Even though a partial charge will help some, there is not going to be 200 outlets at places of employment so everyone can partially charge in order to then drive back home.  You can of course use the gas in the electric generator for going home, but also it will be a fairly sluggish car since the Toyota has a 1.8 and yet this vehicle has a 1.4. L  4cyl engine, but much heavier - but hey it's a start.  They are ahead of schedule and that part is good, for Europe in 2011, in Austrailia 2012, and I think here in the U.S. 2011.  We'll see.  I've just never been a big fan of American cars, for they have always let me down.  I have had Chevys, Buicks, Chryslers, and Fords - ALL crap, until I turned to Hondas and Toyotas; only problem is the 3rd generation Toyota Prius will be even longer before it's available.  I'd also like to know where the tryanny is located, because if it's anything like the Saab - you gotta take a bunch of stuff out in order to get to it - thereby ALOT of labor cost.  Maybe we'll know more as time approaches.

I see you didn't read my post.

The Prius uses its gasoline engine for propulsion, whereas the volt merely uses it for electrical generation. It does not power the wheels directly; the Volt's responsiveness depends on it's main electric motor (and electric motors have craptons of torque).

Yes I did read it ^^, and maybe we aren't understanding each other >>

Yes I understand the Chevy Volt works differently than the Toyota, and that was not my claim.  Once the battery is used up, the gas in the electric generator does recharge the battery and you can go a couple hundred miles more, but at some point if you can't charge, you will have to fill up.  Here is what their website says >>
      Volt is an electric vehicle with a range extender. Well, what does that mean? It means Volt runs on electricity from its battery, and then it runs on electricity it creates from gas. Let's assume you have a fully charged battery. Now, depending on the weather, the electrical features that are turned on and how you drive, you can drive up to 40 miles on the electricity stored in the battery — totally gas and emissions free. After that, its gas-powered, range-extending generator automatically kicks in to provide electrical power. So Volt can go for several hundred additional miles, until you can plug it in or fill it up again.
      And their website still does not tell me how much the replacement battery will cost, and there are still other issues as said in my other response (re-quoted at top), such as the availability or accessibility of charging, and others.  You may be right on the torque though, but I still have other reservations.  I will admit like I said before - it is a start.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »

And their website still does not tell me how much the replacement battery will cost, and there are still other issues as said in my other response (re-quoted at top), such as the availability or accessibility of charging, and others.  You may be right on the torque though, but I still have other reservations.  I will admit like I said before - it is a start.

I know there have been hybrids on the road since 2000 that have yet to have their battery replaced, and technology has improved.  Some hybrid taxis have over 300,000km on their vehicles on the original battery.
      When I go and look to purchase a Ford Mustang, they don't tell me on their website what a new engine will cost me 10 years from now when it needs to be replaced.
      I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »

I know there have been hybrids on the road since 2000 that have yet to have their battery replaced, and technology has improved.  Some hybrid taxis have over 300,000km on their vehicles on the original battery.
      When I go and look to purchase a Ford Mustang, they don't tell me on their website what a new engine will cost me 10 years from now when it needs to be replaced.

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend - both fruits, but different peels and taste; not even close.  Batteries have a shelf life, and in the past they have been expensive to replace.  It may not be a concern to YOU, but it is a concern to me.  And like I said 2 other times, that was NOT my only remark or reservation - for I had several.  And I had said 2 other times at least, that it was certainly a start.  Me personally, I would probably rather have a Toyota, but to each his own, my man.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend - both fruits, but different peels and taste; not even close.  Batteries have a shelf life, and in the past they have been expensive to replace.  It may not be a concern to YOU, but it is a concern to me.  And like I said 2 other times, that was NOT my only remark or reservation - for I had several.  And I had said 2 other times at least, that it was certainly a start.  Me personally, I would probably rather have a Toyota, but to each his own, my man.

I'm merely letting you know that these batteries are very hearty.  I read somewhere a figure of $5,000.  A 10 year old Ford Mustang which needs its engine replaced will probably cost ~$5,000 to complete these repairs.  If a new battery would also cost $5,000, then the two technologies are comparable.
      I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

I'm merely letting you know that these batteries are very hearty.  I read somewhere a figure of $5,000.  A 10 year old Ford Mustang which needs its engine replaced will probably cost ~$5,000 to complete these repairs.  If a new battery would also cost $5,000, then the two technologies are comparable.

And I would get rid of a car if I had an engine problem - that's my point.  Technologies are not comparable because I've driven cars that had over 410,000 miles on the same engine - you won't get that on these "special" car batteries.  Like I said, to each his own; if you have no reservations about the car, then I'm sure you will be one of the 1st in line to buy a Chevy Volt.

Lorddave

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

Volt is an electric car that uses gas to create its own electricity. Plug it in, let it charge overnight, and it's ready to run on a pure electric charge for up to 40 miles(3) ? gas and emissions free. After that, Volt keeps going, even if you can't plug it in. Volt uses a range-extending gas generator that produces enough energy to power it for hundreds of miles on a single tank of gas.

Straight from the intro here:
      http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/default/future/volt.do

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:10 AM »

Volt is an electric car that uses gas to create its own electricity. Plug it in, let it charge overnight, and it's ready to run on a pure electric charge for up to 40 miles(3) ? gas and emissions free. After that, Volt keeps going, even if you can't plug it in. Volt uses a range-extending gas generator that produces enough energy to power it for hundreds of miles on a single tank of gas.

Hi dave.  That was already addressed, but you did not see a more recent post since the one you have quoted above, and yes I got my info from the exact same website (or source) that you did.

Yes I understand the Chevy Volt works differently than the Toyota, and that was not my claim.  Once the battery is used up, the gas in the electric generator does recharge the battery and you can go a couple hundred miles more, but at some point if you can't charge, you will have to fill up.  Here is what their website says >>
      Volt is an electric vehicle with a range extender. Well, what does that mean? It means Volt runs on electricity from its battery, and then it runs on electricity it creates from gas. Let's assume you have a fully charged battery. Now, depending on the weather, the electrical features that are turned on and how you drive, you can drive up to 40 miles on the electricity stored in the battery — totally gas and emissions free. After that, its gas-powered, range-extending generator automatically kicks in to provide electrical power. So Volt can go for several hundred additional miles, until you can plug it in or fill it up again.

Lorddave

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »

Hi dave.  That was already addressed, but you did not see a more recent post since the one you have quoted above, and yes I got my info from the exact same website (or source) that you did.

Oh so your "not exactly right" is the "recharge part" because it doesn't recharge the battery fully, it just recharges it until 30% or so.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      « Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
      getting renewable energy sources like wind, solar, and tidal into the mainstream.

While the air emissions are less than oil or coal - they are not pollutant free, and natural gas is not "Green" by any means, only greener than what we've been using.

Completely agreed, natural gas isn't "green" when compared to solar or wind.

Check this out ...  small-scale wind turbines THAT individuals can own.

Here is an article on wind power, coming soon to an area near you.  The title is "The Future of Personal Wind Turbines."  And yes they are smaller scale now; they are for residential use or home-based users, and small businesses.  You can even sell your electricity back to the electric company.  Isn't that great !

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:07:34 PM by babsinva »

?

Mykael

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »

Completely agreed, natural gas isn't "green" when compared to solar or wind.

Check this out ...  small-scale wind turbines THAT individuals can own.

Here is an article on wind power, coming soon to an area near you.  The title is "The Future of Personal Wind Turbines."  And yes they are smaller scale now; they are for residential use or home-based users, and small businesses.  You can even sell your electricity back to the electric company.  Isn't that great !

Here is the link, take a peak.  >>

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/wind-power/news-own-your-own-wind-coming-soon-area-near-you

That's pretty awesome.

Apparently building DIY solar panels is farily easy too, so long as you have solar cells: you can get them on Ebay.
      http://cgi.ebay.ca/72-1-8w-ea-Solar-Cell-SAVE-TIME-FACTORY-TABBED-together-/220578282170?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335b7d7aba#ht_6202wt_878

129W for $100: that's less than a dollar per watt. It take a 3-4 KW array to take an average house off-grid: that's compared to the $20,000 you'd spend buying the same-grade commercial array.

Edit: There you go.
      « Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:53:01 PM by Mykael »

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
      Re: Alternative Energy Sources - Biomass
      « Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Apparently building DIY solar panels is farily easy too, so long as you have solar cells: you can get them on Ebay.
      http://cgi.ebay.ca/72-1-8w-ea-Solar-Cell-SAVE-TIME-FACTORY-TABBED-together-/220578282170?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335b7d7aba#ht_6202wt_878

129W for $100: that's less than a dollar per watt. It take a 3-4 KW array to take an average house off-grid: that's compared to the $20,000 you'd spend buying the same-grade commercial array.

Edit: There you go.

Yeah the solar panels are cool !

And so is this ... biomass used for biofuels, of which I do NOT agree ON ALL biomass, but this one I do for sure (see below), - and it has many OTHER uses besides biofuel, like reducing carbon.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/breaking-news/news-almond-coproducts-many-uses-offset-carbon

^ ^ You'll get your science fix with this one.  Is that anything like a chocolate fix?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:04:50 PM by babsinva »