Stephen Hawking

• 254 Replies

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Re: Stephen Hawking
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
I'm convinced. Yahoo answers is the leading authority of answers.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

ausGeoff

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100427003737AA5sEbB
Now I don't know what to think.

I'm thinking that all of those nonsensical replies were made under various ALTs by our very own sceptimatic.    ;D

It's actually quite bizarre that the Hawking haters—such as sceptimatic—are so vocal about the guy's research credentials or academic qualifications considering that they invariably have none themselves beyond high-school level.

What is it?  Resentment; jealousy; suspicion; intolerance; cynicism; rivalry; mistrust or just plain old ignorance?

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »

I'm thinking that all of those nonsensical replies were made under various ALTs by our very own sceptimatic.    ;D

It's actually quite bizarre that the Hawking haters—such as sceptimatic—are so vocal about the guy's research credentials or academic qualifications considering that they invariably have none themselves beyond high-school level.

What is it?  Resentment; jealousy; suspicion; intolerance; cynicism; rivalry; mistrust or just plain old ignorance?

Probably resentment that a guy who can't speak, can't move and is bound to a wheelchair will be remembered for millennia for his contributions to the human race and its understanding of the universe while people like scepti will be remembered about as long and as fondly as a fart in a crowded room.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »

Much more simpler than that. It's called questioning something that does not appear to ring true. That's it. It's that simple.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2015, 09:20:35 AM »

Probably resentment that a guy who can't speak, can't move and is bound to a wheelchair will be remembered for millennia for his contributions to the human race and its understanding of the universe while people like scepti will be remembered about as long and as fondly as a fart in a crowded room.
Once I dead I'm dead. Nobody needs to remember me and if they do, I won't know anything about it.

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »

Much more simpler than that. It's called questioning something that does not appear to ring true. That's it. It's that simple.

Questioning is one thing. Skepticism is a good thing.

But instead of of just wholesale dismissing anything that sounds counter-intuitive to you, actually research the fields of science that sound wrong to you, and through honest research look for a flaw in the conclusion or methodology of the theory you are examining.

That would be intellectually honest.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »

But instead of of just wholesale dismissing anything that sounds counter-intuitive to you, actually research the fields of science that sound wrong to you, and through honest research look for a flaw in the conclusion or methodology of the theory you are examining.

That's what I'm doing. I'm questioning and being sceptical. Finding a truth is a lot harder than is made out. How on Earth can I find the the real truth of Hawking?

It's too easy for people to say, " well go and see him and see for yourself."
I can no more prove for a fact he is a showcase for wider agenda than you can for saying he's legitimate, other than citing all of what has been placed into your mind. Accepting this is more honest.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2015, 10:46:15 AM »
That's what I'm doing. I'm questioning and being sceptical. Finding a truth is a lot harder than is made out. How on Earth can I find the the real truth of Hawking?

I can no more prove for a fact he is a showcase for wider agenda than you can for saying he's legitimate, other than citing all of what has been placed into your mind. Accepting this is more honest.
If you want to go down that route, you can't prove you're not a brain in a vat being poked and prodded to experience this simulated world. But what would be the reason to think that is the case, and what would the point be in doing do?
Strictly speaking, we can't prove anything with total certainty: we could all be being deceived by some nigh-omnipotent creature. So what? The question's what's most likely, what we have reason to think. And when you've made a point of view unfalsifiable, to the point where you apparently believe all of the people who've met Hawking couldn't notice anything amiss, you've disregarded truth.
Your argument amounts to "That's quite a coincidence. must be fake." How exactly is that honest?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2015, 10:50:08 AM »

No, it isn't what you are doing.

THIS is how an honest skeptic goes about questioning a scientific theory, and the person behind it.

1. Theory is presented.
2. Examine the evidence of the theory, its predictive models, and mathematics.
3. Test or observe the function of the theory using the above. If your conclusions differ from the above, check to make sure your methodology was correct and there was no mistake in your math, or even check to see if you observations match up.
4. If they don't match, discover which step of the process that disagrees with the theory.
5. Using your previously accumulated discrepancies, present them to the scientific community.
6. The most demonstrable, objective theory/math/evidence always wins out.
7. Disprove theory, discredit theory creator.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »

If you want to go down that route, you can't prove you're not a brain in a vat being poked and prodded to experience this simulated world. But what would be the reason to think that is the case, and what would the point be in doing do?
Strictly speaking, we can't prove anything with total certainty: we could all be being deceived by some nigh-omnipotent creature. So what? The question's what's most likely, what we have reason to think. And when you've made a point of view unfalsifiable, to the point where you apparently believe all of the people who've met Hawking couldn't notice anything amiss, you've disregarded truth.
Your argument amounts to "That's quite a coincidence. must be fake." How exactly is that honest?
You can wrap it up how you like. The simple questions are tehre for anyone to think about. You disregard it because you find no reason to question it. He's simply a genius theoretical scientist  to you that happens to speak through a speak and spell machine. That appears good enough for you that nothing could be amiss.
The same applies to anything anyone questions about anything authority wise. You simply dismiss it and believe you're correct.

It's logical to question this stuff when he's defying a disease that kills most on just a few short years. He's had it since 20 and he's 73 and just happens to be able to perform miracles whilst defying the disease as in the authoring of many books as well as many TV appearances, as well as being a father and authoring books with his daughter, etc.
Not to mention being a professor at a university for most of his life inbetween all this.
Able bodied people couldn't manage all of this, yet not only does he do this, he's also touted as a worldy scietific genius with the highest IQ in the world, apparently.

You don't think it requires any thought on it because you are working by emotion and do not possess the logic or common sense to believe there could be something amiss.

Either that or you are simply denying it because you take a hate or dislike to a person on a forum and just will deny anything at all costs. Carry on though, it's all the same to me.  ;)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »

No, it isn't what you are doing.

THIS is how an honest skeptic goes about questioning a scientific theory, and the person behind it.

1. Theory is presented.
2. Examine the evidence of the theory, its predictive models, and mathematics.
3. Test or observe the function of the theory using the above. If your conclusions differ from the above, check to make sure your methodology was correct and there was no mistake in your math, or even check to see if you observations match up.
4. If they don't match, discover which step of the process that disagrees with the theory.
5. Using your previously accumulated discrepancies, present them to the scientific community.
6. The most demonstrable, objective theory/math/evidence always wins out.
7. Disprove theory, discredit theory creator.
Ok then, you tell me how I go about this as regards Hawking?

Tell me how I do the maths and stuff to come to a conclusion about Hawking being or not being what's shown to us?

I've just gave reasons why I question it. They are valid reasons.

Let me put this to you, let's see how honest you are in answering.
If a man up your street told you he had a disease and it would kill him in 2 to 5 years and you saw him out in a wheelchair. You feel sorry for him and start a fund for him.2 years later that fund is at 1 million and you present him with a cheque.
5 years down the line his fund is still growing and he's going around speaking at venues.

10 years later he's still whizzing about in his wheelchair and in all this time he's getting paid and becoming more smarter every day.
You move away for 40 years, then return to your home town and see the same bloke whizzing about in his wheelchair still giving speeches at venues.

Are you telling me in all seriousness that you wouldn't be questioning this persons' ability to defy the odds whilst being very well off and still the same as before. except older?

Let me make this very simple for you. If you are thinking of coming back to tell me that you wouldn't be questioning it, then save your effort typing, because we will have nothing left to discuss.

Anyone who is not against me who has a rational mind and logic, come into this topic and just let me know if you would be questioning this stuff or even if it makes sense to you at all.

?

tappet

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
The man in the wheelchair is constantly on television.
Television is full of shit.Therefore the man in the wheelchair is full of shit. 

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
You can wrap it up how you like. The simple questions are tehre for anyone to think about. You disregard it because you find no reason to question it. He's simply a genius theoretical scientist  to you that happens to speak through a speak and spell machine. That appears good enough for you that nothing could be amiss.
The same applies to anything anyone questions about anything authority wise. You simply dismiss it and believe you're correct.

It's logical to question this stuff when he's defying a disease that kills most on just a few short years. He's had it since 20 and he's 73 and just happens to be able to perform miracles whilst defying the disease as in the authoring of many books as well as many TV appearances, as well as being a father and authoring books with his daughter, etc.
Not to mention being a professor at a university for most of his life inbetween all this.
Able bodied people couldn't manage all of this, yet not only does he do this, he's also touted as a worldy scietific genius with the highest IQ in the world, apparently.

You don't think it requires any thought on it because you are working by emotion and do not possess the logic or common sense to believe there could be something amiss.

Either that or you are simply denying it because you take a hate or dislike to a person on a forum and just will deny anything at all costs. Carry on though, it's all the same to me.  ;)
Again, you ignore everything that's said to make the same nonsense-points. A good deal of what you've said has, in this thread, been refuted thoroughly. There are several kinds of motor neurone disease, several ways it can affect someone, you're arguing that the fact he has a less lethal kind must mean it's faked.
Guess what: unlikely things happen. The slightest knowledge of statistics makes that clear. Toss a coin ten times, it's entirely possible to get ten heads: the amount of people in the world, it's definitely happened. The amount of coincidences that could happen, and don't, and you're not saying a word about them.
You're the one whose making the argument "It's unlikely, must be faked," with no further evidence. Life is unlikely, are you denying that we exist?
Unlikely things happen. get over it. And that's even if we accept every rather dodgy premise you've given.

try responding to what's actually been said rather than repeating yourself pointlessly. The amount of times you complain that people are asking you to repeat yourself is quite amusing, when you realize that they're not, you just refuse to alter your viewpoint or clarify what you say or respond in any way to any new information.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:17 PM »

Flat Earth Theory was explained on television

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Television is full of shit. Therefore Flat Earth Theory is full of shit.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »

You dismiss any conclusion that does not sit well with you as people being disingenuous, irrational or stupid. Why is it that we can't be smart and come to a different logical conclusion?
I see it this way:

Stephen Hawking, due to his accomplishments and his disease has had a life scrutinized to a much higher degree than the average person. No substantial objection has been raised to the facts of his life, no evidence has surfaced to suggest that he is not what all the supporting evidence says he is. Therefore I see no logical reason to doubt what the official story is.

As to your point of view, I think the quality of his voice simulator is an incredibly petty objection; the voice not sounding how you want does not make it more unlikely. His abnormal longevity is the only thing in the whole story that seems particularly remarkable to me but then I don't know the statistics on ALS mortality, just the mean lifespan which does not give a good idea of how unlikely Hawkings longevity is. I have tried to find the statistics since this thread has started but have not had any success, just that early onset ALS tends to carry a longer than average life expectancy.

Even if the odds of him living this long are a trillion to one, I cannot say the idea that he is a shill or puppet seems plausible because there is exactly no evidence for him being a shill or puppet. In the end, however strong your intuitions or instincts are, I find them utterly unconvincing compared to the facts of the matter.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

tappet

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

Everything on television is full of shit.
The earth is flat.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

The earth is flat.

The earth is round.

?

tappet

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
                               ;D

« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2015, 03:16:24 AM »
I've just received this photo of scepit relaxing at home:

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2015, 03:45:06 AM »
I've just received this photo of scepit relaxing at home:

I have to admit, this had me laughing for a while.  ;D

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17:48 AM »
he's also touted as a worldy scietific genius with the highest IQ in the world, apparently.

Are you sure about the IQ bit?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2015, 04:19:31 AM »
he's also touted as a worldy scietific genius with the highest IQ in the world, apparently.

Of course I'm not sure. That's why I said "apparently."

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »

So, who claimed he had the highest IQ in the world?

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

ausGeoff

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »
If sceptimatic truly expects that we should consider his negative claims about Hawking as well-researched, credible. and factual, then he must of course define exactly which of his thirteen academic qualifications he's drawing upon to question and deny Hawking's academic qualifications.  If none of sceptimatics's academic qualifications are in any of the science fields, then he's not qualified to comment on Hawking's qualifications.

So sceptimatic... can you name at least a couple of your scientific qualifications in order for you to make a reasoned assessment of Hawking's abilities—or lack thereof?

And if you can't—or are unwilling to—then I think we can all safely make the assumption that you don't know anything at all about Hawking, his intellect, his research, or his background as a theoretical physicist and cosmologist.

The ball's now in your court my friend.  Shape up or ship out.    8)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »

I remember seeing it claimed. Like I said, apparently. It doesn't mean anything other than that. I don't claim it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
If sceptimatic truly expects that we should consider his negative claims about Hawking as well-researched, credible. and factual, then he must of course define exactly which of his thirteen academic qualifications he's drawing upon to question and deny Hawking's academic qualifications.  If none of sceptimatics's academic qualifications are in any of the science fields, then he's not qualified to comment on Hawking's qualifications.

So sceptimatic... can you name at least a couple of your scientific qualifications in order for you to make a reasoned assessment of Hawking's abilities—or lack thereof?

And if you can't—or are unwilling to—then I think we can all safely make the assumption that you don't know anything at all about Hawking, his intellect, his research, or his background as a theoretical physicist and cosmologist.

The ball's now in your court my friend.  Shape up or ship out.    8)
Do you see anywhere in this topic where I'm questioning qualifications. I'm questioning the condition he has and how he's living to 73 and still apparently going strong, reeling out all kinds of stuff.

You're not in any position to verify anything yourself about him, other than basically following a trend.
Or are you going to say you were in his class.

ausGeoff

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Do you see anywhere in this topic where I'm questioning qualifications. I'm questioning the condition he has and how he's living to 73 and still apparently going strong, reeling out all kinds of stuff.

Yes, I have seen where you've questioned Hawking's qualifications.  You've claimed he's only an ordinary "actor" being fed his lines by somebody else, and is controlled by the NWO, or that a computer is doing all the work he claims via a type and spell "machine".

So... you do agree then that he has numerous degrees and doctorates in the sciences from several universities in the US and Britain?

And having agreed to that (apparently) why are you not prepared to divulge even a couple of your own alleged thirteen academic qualifications?  What are you afraid of?  That we might check up on their legitimacy?  Surely if you're going to criticise Hawking's intellect, then you have to prove to us the level of yours?

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

I remember seeing it claimed. Like I said, apparently. It doesn't mean anything other than that. I don't claim it.
No, your claim is that other people claim it.  You can't support your claim.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »

Yes, I have seen where you've questioned Hawking's qualifications.  You've claimed he's only an ordinary "actor" being fed his lines by somebody else, and is controlled by the NWO, or that a computer is doing all the work he claims via a type and spell "machine".

So... you do agree then that he has numerous degrees and doctorates in the sciences from several universities in the US and Britain?

And having agreed to that (apparently) why are you not prepared to divulge even a couple of your own alleged thirteen academic qualifications?  What are you afraid of?  That we might check up on their legitimacy?  Surely if you're going to criticise Hawking's intellect, then you have to prove to us the level of yours?
I've claimed nothing of the sort. I've questioned a few things and put forward some possibilities, none of which I said were true. Look back and absorb what I said before you pipe in with utter nonsense.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

No, your claim is that other people claim it.  You can't support your claim.
I certainly can't support any claim about his IQ, you're right there.