creation myth for FEH?

• 54 Replies

Rushy

Re: creation myth for FEH?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
I don't get why collecting light from Jupiter with a telescope is qualitatively different than collecting light from Australia with my eyes.

It is not. Why do you think that it is?

stop trying to shift the burden.

why are you implying it is?

I did not imply that it is. That is why I asked him why he thinks that. He did, afterall, make a statement, not ask a question.

?

burt

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
I don't get why collecting light from Jupiter with a telescope is qualitatively different than collecting light from Australia with my eyes.

I did not imply that it is. That is why I asked him why he thinks that. He did, afterall, make a statement, not ask a question.

He didn't think it; It is clear that he thought that that was what you were implying.

I can think of many posts where you accuse someone of thinking something, when in fact it is clear that they think you are implying it.

Rushy

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »
He didn't think it; It is clear that he thought that that was what you were implying.

I can think of many posts where you accuse someone of thinking something, when in fact it is clear that they think you are implying it.

It is you who are looking for these nefarious implied subjects. Read his post. He clearly states that the light is different between Australia and Jupiter. What more could I do other than politely ask why he thinks that?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »
2. Probes exist, We have millions of informations to prove it. Mars Rover, right now. And disproving the existence of something real isn't the same as disproving the existence of something which doesn't exist.

Sure, they exist just like R2D2 exists. I could go and touch the robot known as R2D2, but that does not mean that it can beep languages at me or that Naboo existed. Mars rovers cannot explore Mars any more than R2D2 can fly and their existence certainly does not prove that Mars is rove-able.

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 02:32:15 AM »
2. Probes exist, We have millions of informations to prove it. Mars Rover, right now. And disproving the existence of something real isn't the same as disproving the existence of something which doesn't exist.

Sure, they exist just like R2D2 exists. I could go and touch the robot known as R2D2, but that does not mean that it can beep languages at me or that Naboo existed. Mars rovers cannot explore Mars any more than R2D2 can fly and their existence certainly does not prove that Mars is rove-able.

Disprove then the images send by all the probes which have been sent to Mars instead of talking nonsense.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 04:39:29 AM »
What makes you think data can remain intact of millions of miles and still give viable information?

Before transmission the data is encoded so that, even if it is corrupted, the original data can be recovered within probabilistic limits. It's called Coding Theory and the first such code has been around since 1950. (See Hamming code in Wikipedia.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coding_theory

Rushy

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Disprove then the images send by all the probes which have been sent to Mars instead of talking nonsense.

Prove that the Star Wars series wasn't based on a true story.

What makes you think data can remain intact of millions of miles and still give viable information?

Before transmission the data is encoded so that, even if it is corrupted, the original data can be recovered within probabilistic limits. It's called Coding Theory and the first such code has been around since 1950. (See Hamming code in Wikipedia.)

Irrelevant, if any part of the data is corrupted then it must be discarded, regardless of the fact that you know which parts were corrupted. I'm not going to use my car when I know a part is broken.

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »

You don't want to disprove the data collected by the probes? Or you can't?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Rushy

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »

Disprove God. See how silly that sounds? I don't need to disprove things, you need to prove them, and you have never done so.

?

burt

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »

Disprove God. See how silly that sounds? I don't need to disprove things, you need to prove them, and you have never done so.

Actually this is not always true: science is based on falsification and in argumentation the burden is on the claimant. I am not sure who claimant is, here.

Saying either prove or disprove god is absurd because god is unfalsifiable.

?

burt

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

The statement was very clearly rhetorical.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »

Irrelevant, if any part of the data is corrupted then it must be discarded, regardless of the fact that you know which parts were corrupted. I'm not going to use my car when I know a part is broken.

Fortunately for us the world doesn't work around what you consider irrelevant. Coding theory works and the fact that you can't accept this speaks volumes about your arrogance and ignorance.

Try studying this book or a similar one and then come back and talk to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Course-Applied-Mathematics-Computing-Science/dp/0198538030
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:29:58 AM by mathsman »

Rushy

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

Fortunately for us the world doesn't work around what you consider irrelevant. Coding theory works and the fact that you can't accept this speaks volumes about your arrogance and ignorance.

Try studying this book or a similar one and then come back and talk to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Course-Applied-Mathematics-Computing-Science/dp/0198538030

I don't think coding theory does what you think it does.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »

Why do you say that?  What do you think that it does?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »

I don't think what Coding Theory does; I know what Coding Theory does having studied it. The link in my previous post was the text book for the course I studied. The first sentence of chapter 1 reads:
Error-correcting codes are used to correct errors when messages are transmitted through a noisy communication channel. (My emphasis.)

I did make a mistake in a previous post when I said that Coding Theory has been around since 1950, it's actually been around since 1948.

tunu

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 01:53:42 AM »
still waiting on the creation myth for the flat earth hypothesis.

anyone?

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

anyone?
The myth is that all matter was condensed in to the volume of a match head. Then it exploded and the universe formed.

The truth is God created the heaven and the earth.

Not many FE'ers believe what I have just said, however I believe it to be the truth.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Thork

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »

anyone?
The myth is that all matter was condensed in to the volume of a match head. Then it exploded and the universe formed.

The truth is God created the heaven and the earth.

Not many FE'ers believe what I have just said, however I believe it to be the truth.
You also believe that God took time out of his busy schedule to give you hiccups for 4 days last week.

I'm not sure if there is an official society line for this. The end of the earth is predicted by Samuel Rowbotham and he predicts that the earth shall perish in fire.

I've seen a suggestion that the big bang may have been applicable to Flat Earth theory and an early earth without an atmosphere was literally hammered flat by early cosmic debris as it gained speed, driven by dark matter. As it hurtled its way past rock and ice its surface was blasted into a flat disk. The force of aether / dark energy pushing the rock in one direction and the obstacles squashing it flat from the other. It was literally pancaked between the force that drives it and the rock that got in the way.

Another theory is that it formed much like a galaxy. Spinning very very fast a soft and semi-molten (pliable) earth was pulled into a flat plate. The centripetal force of the rapidly spinning body of soft rock being enough to pull it into a nice plate shape before the rock cooled and ceased spinning, now in this new shape.

No one really knows how the universe and earth were created round earth or flat earth, so pick the one you like best. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:23:41 PM by Thork »

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
I didn't say God gave me the hiccups, you did.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Thork

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Potatoes/potatoes.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

anyone?

Why do you assume that there must be a myth to explain the flat-earth? There is nothing saying it couldn't have come about through entirely natural processes. If you NEED a myth, there is one about elephants and a turtle you may enjoy.

Also, it's called flat-earth theory, not flat-earth hypothesis. 

tunu

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »

anyone?

Why do you assume that there must be a myth to explain the flat-earth? There is nothing saying it couldn't have come about through entirely natural processes. If you NEED a myth, there is one about elephants and a turtle you may enjoy.

no, this is a hypothesis, definitely NOT a theory. It's not your fault, most people don't know what the word theory means, you've fallen into the same trap as countless millions.  (in order for it to be a "theory" you'd have to be able to point to peer-reviewed, repeatable, falsifiable tests, that provide evidence for a flat earth.  As you absolutely cannot do this, the idea that the earth is flat remains a hypothesis.)

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how a flat earth could have been created without violating simple, testable, falsifiable physics.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
still waiting on the creation myth for the flat earth in order for it to be a "theory" you'd have to be able to point to peer-reviewed, repeatable, falsifiable tests, that provide evidence for a flat earth.

You apparently haven't lurked here very long. Check out the literature in my signature. Start with Earth Not a Globe.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:31:55 PM by Tom Bishop »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »

anyone?

no, this is a hypothesis, definitely NOT a theory. It's not your fault, most people don't know what the word theory means, you've fallen into the same trap as countless millions.  (in order for it to be a "theory" you'd have to be able to point to peer-reviewed, repeatable, falsifiable tests, that provide evidence for a flat earth.  As you absolutely cannot do this, the idea that the earth is flat remains a hypothesis.)

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how a flat earth could have been created without violating simple, testable, falsifiable physics.

This is like me asking you to describe a theory for time travel that does not violate Newtonian physics.  It cannot be done, but does this mean that time travel is impossible?

Also, your definition of "theory" is unlike any I've ever seen. What dictionary are you using?

tunu

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 04:31:19 AM »
The fact is I don't need to go to Australia to prove its existence.

Of course not, there are plenty of people that have been to Australia that you can talk to. I doubt you know a great deal that have been to Jupiter, however.

I just want to point out, "talking to someone that has been to Australia" is, by definition, "indirect evidence", which you suggest CANNOT exist.  So now we're back to "Australia doesn't exist because YOU haven't been there."  Anything short of YOU going there is indirect evidence.   So, now I have to ask, what's the difference between your belief that Australia exists and my belief that the moon exists?