Does gravity exist

• 78 Replies
?

Mr Question? Needs Proof!

• Earth is round and that's that!
Does gravity exist
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:07:50 AM »
If the earth was accelerating up for eg 12.3m/s  then if I jumped it will increase my velocity to roughly 14.9m/s so I would fly into space?
Gravity would slow me down and reduce my initial velocity.
But a disk earth would have very little gravity.
If I blew in an up direction then the gases would keep travelling until it hits something which it won't. The earth gravity has to be strong enough to keep all of its mass but that mass + gravity would equal in a round spherical earth.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:14:38 AM by Mr Question? Needs Proof! »

JackBlack

Re: Does gravity exist
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 01:45:58 AM »
Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, not distance per time.

If Earth was accelerating up at 9.8 m/s^2, and you jumped at a speed of 9.8 m/s when Earth was travelling at a velocity of 100 m/s, you would then be travelling at speed if 109.8 m/s. This would mean you are going faster than Earth and thus would start moving away from it.
However, Earth continues to accelerate and after 1 second is now travelling at 109.8 m/s. Thus you would now be moving with it, but some distance away.
After this time Earth will be travelling faster than you and thus you would be getting closer to Earth.
At the small scale you cannot distinguish between gravity and Earth accelerating upwards.
You can only tell them apart at the large scale, with gravity dropping off as you get further from Earth and varying over the surface of Earth.

?

Mr Question? Needs Proof!

• Earth is round and that's that!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:40 AM »
Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, not distance per time.

If Earth was accelerating up at 9.8 m/s^2, and you jumped at a speed of 9.8 m/s when Earth was travelling at a velocity of 100 m/s, you would then be travelling at speed if 109.8 m/s. This would mean you are going faster than Earth and thus would start moving away from it.
However, Earth continues to accelerate and after 1 second is now travelling at 109.8 m/s. Thus you would now be moving with it, but some distance away.
After this time Earth will be travelling faster than you and thus you would be getting closer to Earth.
At the small scale you cannot distinguish between gravity and Earth accelerating upwards.
You can only tell them apart at the large scale, with gravity dropping off as you get further from Earth and varying over the surface of Earth.
earth doesn't speed up there for the earth initial velocity is the same and you keep moving away until air resistance slows you down which at that time you will be like 100km away
no offence but your math doesn't add up
earth initial velocity cant change unless it keeps accelerating. 9m/s>18m/s>....
which it needs an infinite amount of energy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:32:00 AM by Mr Question? Needs Proof! »

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:36:44 AM »
earth doesn't speed up
You were the one that suggested Earth was accelerating.

If you didn't want to appeal to that you could have just had Earth be stationary.

fjr66

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »
If the earth was accelerating up for eg 12.3m/s  then if I jumped it will increase my velocity to roughly 14.9m/s so I would fly into space?
If I blew in an up direction then the gases would keep travelling until it hits something which it won't. The earth gravity has to be strong enough to keep all of its mass but that mass + gravity would equal in a round spherical earth.
To make you have an acceleration, you need to attract by a force. If there is no constant force then there is no acceleration. If you with the earth have a common acceleration like 9.8 m/s^2, and you make a jump, the moment when you start to jump, it is the moment when you lose a force (contact force with earth surface). But you still have initial velocity, but because the earth still move up with acceleration, then you will catch by the earth, because the earth will add its initial velocity exceeding your velocity.  From the earth point of view, you are falling down to the earth.

But we need to make some clarification, what force that makes the earth accelerate upward?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

To make you have an acceleration, you need to attract by a force. If there is no constant force then there is no acceleration. If you with the earth have a common acceleration like 9.8 m/s^2, and you make a jump, the moment when you start to jump, it is the moment when you lose a force (contact force with earth surface). But you still have initial velocity, but because the earth still move up with acceleration, then you will catch by the earth, because the earth will add its initial velocity exceeding your velocity.  From the earth point of view, you are falling down to the earth.

But we need to make some clarification, what force that makes the earth accelerate upward?
Yes, but is much simpler to believe that Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation accurately describes the forces involved.
I know that Einstein's General Relativity provides a more exact description, but in our local region the deviation between Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Einstein's General Relativity are in most cases unmeasurable.

And before you complain that gravitation cannot be observed or measured you might read:
Flat Earth Debate / Re: There is no Flat Earth Theory « Message by rabinoz on September 13, 2017, 04:30:40 PM ».
Gravitation has been directly demonstrated countless times and directly measured hundreds of times.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:54:09 PM »

No, gravity doesn't exist.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »

So, the smarter that Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein, Mr Th3rm0m3t3r0, can categorically claim that gravity doesn't exist..
Would you please produce some reasons why you feel justified in claiming that you know more than Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

Gravitation,  mass attracting mass, has been demonstrated numerous times an measured directly hundreds of times.
Here is a simple demonstration that a force is produced, though no attempt is made to actually measure G, the Universal Gravitational Constant.

There is this article with an explanation of the effect gravitation with a very simple set-up to demonstrate it:
Bending Spacetime in the Basement.
There are four related videos, all are referenced in the arcticle, here is the first:
[youtube][/youtube]
Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 1, John Walker
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 2, John Walker
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 3, John Walker
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 4, John Walker
No attempt is made to measure G with this crude experiment, just to demonstrate that there is a force.

So gravitation has been verified and measured numerous times

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »

So, the smarter that Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein, Mr Th3rm0m3t3r0, can categorically claim that gravity doesn't exist..
Would you please produce some reasons why you feel justified in claiming that you know more than Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

Gravitation,  mass attracting mass, has been demonstrated numerous times an measured directly hundreds of times.
Here is a simple demonstration that a force is produced, though no attempt is made to actually measure G, the Universal Gravitational Constant.

There is this article with an explanation of the effect gravitation with a very simple set-up to demonstrate it:
There are four related videos, all are referenced in the arcticle, here is the first:
[youtube][/youtube]
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 2, John Walker
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 3, John Walker
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bending Spacetime in the Basement: Video 4, John Walker
No attempt is made to measure G with this crude experiment, just to demonstrate that there is a force.

So you're telling me I can repeat that without magnets?

I am correct.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:20:04 AM »

[youtube][/youtube]

Why would magnets be relevant? As far as is known there is no connection between the two.

In experiments to determine G, great care is taken to use non-magnetic materials, such as: lead, oxygen free copper, tungsten and even mercury.

You really need to do a lot of research on these topics before you claim things like, "gravity doesn't exist".

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »

That is just incorrect.  I did the Cavendish experiment in high school and can tell you it works.  Not to mention you can do it yourself.  Gravity exists.

The recent LIGO results proved the existence of gravity waves.  Gravity exists.

Gravity is proven but I’d love to see your explanations for the Cavendish experiment & LIGO results without gravity...this should be interesting.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
Why would magnets be relevant? As far as is known there is no connection between the two.

In experiments to determine G, great care is taken to use non-magnetic materials, such as: lead, oxygen free copper, tungsten and even mercury.

You really need to do a lot of research on these topics before you claim things like, "gravity doesn't exist".

So repeat those experiments and bend space time in your basement. Shouldn't be too hard.

I am correct.

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »

So repeat those experiments and bend space time in your basement. Shouldn't be too hard.

It's SCIENCE!!!
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

It's SCIENCE!!!

Alright.

I am correct.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »
Flat eart obiusly. losers think gravity exists, but have they ever seen the movie gravity? what a bad movie! It's all fake, Obama can control the weather, Hillary is a shitass. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »

yes you can do, and for the fun of it why do you not do it?

also if your house is high enough you could do the experiment with a Foucault Pendulum.

its a good idea if you do some real experiments yourself.

or go to the shore of a sea and see how ships disappear behind the horizon.
or simply look at a sunset and try to explain how the sun could drop below the horizon on a flat earth.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »

It LOOKS flat!!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
Flat eart obiusly. losers think gravity exists, but have they ever seen the movie gravity? what a bad movie! It's all fake, Obama can control the weather, Hillary is a shitass. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Great Picture *standing golf clap*
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »

You're the one that needs convincing, not I!

The Cavendish experiment and G,
Genevieve Roeder-Hensley

Cavendish Experiment Revisited,
Andrew Bennett

Cavendish experiment, proving mass derived gravity,
flat earth debunker

The Cavendish Experiment at Bishop
O'Connell High School, Inside Science

DeHaan Cavendish Balance,
James DeHaan

Universal Gravitation Demonstration,
Nick Merrill
Plenty more where they came from.
'You have eyes--can't you see? You have ears--can't you hear?' Don't you remember anything at all?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:35:15 PM by rabinoz »

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
Simply stand on a chair and jump. 

If you land on your feet on the floor you Can Not prove gravity influenced your landing.

It's getting easier and easier to debunk claims of science.  Time for you to find a new act, ladies and gentlemen of the RE believers pack. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »

If you land on your feet on the floor you Can Not prove gravity influenced your landing.

It's getting easier and easier to debunk claims of science.

Rubbish!

Neither science nor Globe earth supporters are denying gravity.

Had you been awake you might make noticed that it is the flat earther, th3rm0m3t3r0, that is denying the existence of gravity:
It is because it makes the most sense. Gravity does not exist, that much is evident.

I have been giving evidence that gravitation as an attractive force between masses is real.

Quote from: gotham
Time for you to find a new act, ladies and gentlemen of the RE believers pack.
Nope, our act has stood the test of time, and has not basically changed for centuries - the earth was believed to be a Globe millennia ago and is still a Globe.

It is you flat earthers that need "to find a new act". Your present fiction simply does not work!

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »

It's getting easier and easier to debunk claims of science.  Time for you to find a new act, ladies and gentlemen of the RE believers pack.
What does the statement in bold mean?
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »

What does the statement in bold mean?

It means exactly what it says. How do you want him to break it down any further?

I am correct.

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Still the question is open: why does no FEIB do the real experiments?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »

I don't see you guys doing any...

I am correct.

JackBlack

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »

A pathetic experiment which is unable to prove anything doesn't debunk science.

JackBlack

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
We have done them. They are all consistent with a round Earth with plenty inconsistent with a FE.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
We have done them. They are all consistent with a round Earth with plenty inconsistent with a FE.

When? Where? Explain the experiments you've done to me.

I am correct.

JackBlack

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
Go look at the videos above.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Go look at the videos above.

Explain the experiments you've done to me.

I am correct.