How have the flat earthers learned so much that is "secret"?

• 71 Replies

gnuarm

How do you, or anyone else, know Antarctica is off-limits south of 60 degrees latitude?  Have you been there and been turned back?  Do you know someone who has been there and turned back? 

It seems like there are so few things actually understood about the flat earth when it comes to physics or geography, while there are so many things that are known, which seem nearly impossible to know.  Like, how is so much known about the various conspiracies maintained by governments to keep the public from knowing about the flat earth?  If flat earthers know, how did they learn? 

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
Re: How have the flat earthers learned so much that is "secret"?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 05:25:25 AM »
Doing own research, operating own logic, being independent and free, being a human, not a sheep  ;D  ;D ;D
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 06:08:03 AM »
You can often look things up. Wanna know how fast Earth's (supposed) orbit or rotation is? You can look it up. Want to know  about they guy who got arrested for sailing in his ship toward Antarctica. You can look that up too. The thing is, when you look online nowadays, you get fake news. What I mean by that is not what CNN calls fake news which boils down to "these news sites are fake." No fake news is when you ask a legitimate question (keywords: Antarctica trip arrested), and Google instead loads articles about women being sexually assaulted in the base in Antarctica or "fact checks"(by paid shills) about how it's so easy to visit Antarctica, no restrictions at all!

Intelligence is the ability to read between the lines. That's what the word root means. It is not learning ability. Trained seals can learn to balance balls on their noses or do tricks. Intelligent seals instead figure out whether all the attention is worth the fish, and if not, they figure out how to escape.

An intelligent person reads online, looks at the moon and stars (and even the eclipse), and finds out themselves. They filter through what seems true and what does not based on their own logic.

Or... you can accept what you learned in an expensive university because some teacher in fancy robes said it.

Remember that web search I did?
(keywords: Antarctica trip arrested)
I eventually adjusted the search, and got Jarle Andhøy
In June 2002, Andhøy, Rosén, and Mercy, sailed to the Arctic in another Albin Vega, called Berserk II; their goal was to sail in the path of Ohthere, the Viking chief, and to sail as far as possible north towards the Arctic ice. According to their own account of the voyage, the expedition set a world record, as no other sailing vessel had ever sailed as far north in open water. Immediately after returning to Longyearbyen on Svalbard, Sysselmannen (the governor of Svalbard) charged Andhøy, as the skipper, with sailing without insurance and for failing to submit a route-plan. He was required to pay a fine of 20,000 Norwegian Kroner and was refused permission to continue in Svalbard's waters. Andhøy failed to pay the fine, and so the case was taken to Nord-Troms court on 30 April 2003. Additionally, Andhøy, Rosén, and Mercy released a television series which documented their voyage (first aired on NRK in the autumn of 2003). Using that documentary as evidence, the Sysselmannen charged the trio with a number of environmental crimes, including unauthorised landings in protected areas and provoking a polar bear. The case, carrying a sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a fine of 25,000 Kroner, was heard in Larvik court on 29 March 2004. They were found guilty, but the sentence was reduced to 5,000 Kroner and the imprisonment was suspended, pending a 2-year probationary period.

Now, a dim person might side with the law against Andhøy, and decide that he was being reckless in the first place. But a dim person doesn't question the bias of Wikipedia. As a flat Earther, I know exactly the bias of Wikipedia. For you see, this is their article on FE.
Flat Earth is an archaic and scientifically disproven conception of the Earth's shape as a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat-Earth cosmography. The model has undergone a recent resurgence as a conspiracy theory.
Before learning from their social environment, a child's perception of their physical environment often leads to a false concept about the shape of Earth and what happens beyond the horizon. Many children think that Earth ends there and that one can fall off the edge. Education helps them gradually change their belief into a realist one of a spherical Earth.
You heard it from them, folks! Flat Earthers are just people who haven't been properly educated.

So back to Andhøy.
In July 2004, Andhøy and Rosén attempted to continue the voyage. However, the Norwegian Police and Coastguard attempted to stop them since they believed Mercy, who was still wanted in connection with the previous environmental charges, was also aboard.
In February 2011 during an expedition to the South Pole, Berserk activated its emergency transponder with three people on board. At the time Jarle Andhøy and one of his crewmates, Samuel Massie, were driving ATVs towards the pole.

An extensive search was coordinated by New Zealand's Rescue Co-ordination Centre, and involved the governments of New Zealand, Norway, and the United States... On 25 February, the Steve Irwin found an empty, damaged lifeboat from the Berserk and several packages of drinking water, but no sign of the boat itself. After an extensive search by these vessels, the search was concluded on 1 March 2011 with all three crew member presumed dead.

So to summarize, this guy (it's difficult to type his name) is initially arrested, aside from the stunt with the bear, for not having insurance. Then later, he does more exploring, this time of the Northwest Passage only to search for someone who isn't even on the boat. Then this guy wakes up sans boat and sans crew members. A search is mounted but only the boat is found.

Question:
1. How is it that a full crew joins an uninsured man with no passage plan on a trip south?
2. And how does the ship lose three passengers?
3. And why would someone keep trying to travel, even when people tell him "You can't because you have a criminal record"?

Answer:
1. He didn't. The Norwegian government (a Antarctica signatory) denied him permission to enter Antarctica. He acquired insurance from elsewhere, and he had a definite passage plan. Just as police can plant drugs on a person, it is rather easy to take away pieces of paper and burn them.  "You have no insurance or passage plan."
 2. An anchored ship shouldn't be able to do that. So unless they were all tossed overboard, they fact that they have plenty of drinking water means they should have stayed with the boat. In a violent storm scenario, you'd reasonably expect some but not all to be tossed overboard, or the ship to also be destroyed. Ship only damaged, no sign of three crew members? Foul play (probably some sort of kidnapping).
3. If it were me, I'd tell you the reason I'd keep exploring. It would be if some assholes ruined my life with trumped up charges (the bear thing was probably legit), and I want to know what was really going on. When I look up his name, we get his side of Wikipedia's story:
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/what-really-happened-berserk/
Your mission was to reach the pole and get back safely. What was their job?
ANDHOY: To stay with the Berserk and, if necessary, take shelter inside Ernest Shackleton’s hut. (Editor’s note: The hut is from the 1907–9 British Antarctic Expedition, during which Shackleton tried and failed to reach the South Pole. It sits on Cape Royds in McMurdo Sound.) The bay is the safest place for getting shelter from big seas, ice, and winds. The Berserk crew were also making preparations for overwintering if they had to. That involved storing equipment like fuel, food, tools, and shovels.
On the afternoon of February 22, the Berserk’s emergency beacon went off. For some reason, the boat had left its anchorage and traveled into a storm that was forecasted to hit the Ross Sea. The beacon was activated seven nautical miles from Horseshoe Bay. It lasted around 18 to 20 minutes—only a very short time before the signal died out.

Had you spoken to the crew the day before that?
ANDHOY: I’d discussed the bad weather that was coming. They had tied long polypropylene lines from the deck to shore. The plan was to stay in Horseshoe Bay, tethered to land, and if necessary stay in the hut.

What happened when you reached New Zealand?
ANDHOY: We had a meeting with representatives from New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and they were very upset because they claimed we had sailed illegally to Antarctica, and had violated environmental rules by anchoring in Horseshoe Bay. And that’s where my questions began. Sammy and I were in a situation where three of our friends were assumed to be dead, and in New Zealand we were met with the accusation that the Berserk had sailed to Antarctica illegally? When we got back to Norway, the Norwegian Polar Institute reported alleged violations of the Norwegian environmental regulations to the state prosecutor, based on information given to them by New Zealand authorities. The alleged violations were illegal sailing and anchorage in Antarctica. The criminal charges and the focus on safety lines tied to land were in direct contradiction with international maritime law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas, specifically with regard to the fundamental rights of the high seas and the right to safe passage in the seas surrounding Antarctica.

Suddenly this story about an aimless boater traveling without insurance doesn't track.

After all these years, do you know why they left?
ANDHOY: No, and from a seaman’s perspective, it is completely illogical and irrational to leave a safe anchorage and the hut on land to put your nose into a forecasted Force 12 storm in the Southern Ocean. But that’s what the timeline shows they did. In nature, you never leave shelter from a storm, but I can’t judge the captain’s call without knowing what was said and done before he made it.

All of the paperwork from the official side prior to the accident proves that the main focus of New Zealand and Norway was to make an example of an expedition that, to them, was not welcome. I don’t know what kind of pressure had been put on our crew to leave. I believe the biggest error here is that people in Norway’s and New Zealand’s administrations have focused on bureaucratic gray-zone rules in the Antarctic Treaty instead of on the security of the missing men and the expedition.

You don't leave an area of safety unless you are made to leave.

Why didn’t you get official permission to be there in the first place?
ANDHOY: By law and by definition, sailing in the Southern Ocean is not limited—that’s why these waters are legally called the high seas. And on my search expedition to Antarctica, I knew that Norway would never give me a permit to go, because officials required insurance that does not exist. So it’s like putting you in checkmate. You have to apply for a notice or a permit, but in order to get that permit you need insurance, but you can’t get it.

Think about what he was arrested for again. Besides hurting bears, of course.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:21:48 AM by bulmabriefs144 »

Quote from: Themightykabool
crazy people don't know they're crazy.

gnuarm

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 10:18:26 AM »
Doing own research, operating own logic, being independent and free, being a human, not a sheep  ;D  ;D ;D

So, in other words, nothing?

gnuarm

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 10:48:04 AM »
You can often look things up. Wanna know how fast Earth's (supposed) orbit or rotation is? You can look it up. Want to know  about they guy who got arrested for sailing in his ship toward Antarctica. You can look that up too. The thing is, when you look online nowadays, you get fake news. What I mean by that is not what CNN calls fake news which boils down to "these news sites are fake." No fake news is when you ask a legitimate question (keywords: Antarctica trip arrested), and Google instead loads articles about women being sexually assaulted in the base in Antarctica or "fact checks"(by paid shills) about how it's so easy to visit Antarctica, no restrictions at all!

Intelligence is the ability to read between the lines. That's what the word root means. It is not learning ability. Trained seals can learn to balance balls on their noses or do tricks. Intelligent seals instead figure out whether all the attention is worth the fish, and if not, they figure out how to escape.

An intelligent person reads online, looks at the moon and stars (and even the eclipse), and finds out themselves. They filter through what seems true and what does not based on their own logic.

Or... you can accept what you learned in an expensive university because some teacher in fancy robes said it.

Remember that web search I did?
(keywords: Antarctica trip arrested)
I eventually adjusted the search, and got Jarle Andhøy

What did you adjust the search to?  What are you quoting here? 

In June 2002, Andhøy, Rosén, and Mercy, sailed to the Arctic in another Albin Vega, called Berserk II; their goal was to sail in the path of Ohthere, the Viking chief, and to sail as far as possible north towards the Arctic ice. According to their own account of the voyage, the expedition set a world record, as no other sailing vessel had ever sailed as far north in open water. Immediately after returning to Longyearbyen on Svalbard, Sysselmannen (the governor of Svalbard) charged Andhøy, as the skipper, with sailing without insurance and for failing to submit a route-plan. He was required to pay a fine of 20,000 Norwegian Kroner and was refused permission to continue in Svalbard's waters. Andhøy failed to pay the fine, and so the case was taken to Nord-Troms court on 30 April 2003. Additionally, Andhøy, Rosén, and Mercy released a television series which documented their voyage (first aired on NRK in the autumn of 2003). Using that documentary as evidence, the Sysselmannen charged the trio with a number of environmental crimes, including unauthorised landings in protected areas and provoking a polar bear. The case, carrying a sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a fine of 25,000 Kroner, was heard in Larvik court on 29 March 2004. They were found guilty, but the sentence was reduced to 5,000 Kroner and the imprisonment was suspended, pending a 2-year probationary period.

Now, a dim person might side with the law against Andhøy, and decide that he was being reckless in the first place. But a dim person doesn't question the bias of Wikipedia. As a flat Earther, I know exactly the bias of Wikipedia. For you see, this is their article on FE.

Why are you talking about Wikipedia???  I'm going to trim the quoted text. 

So back to Andhøy.
In July 2004, Andhøy and Rosén attempted to continue the voyage. However, the Norwegian Police and Coastguard attempted to stop them since they believed Mercy, who was still wanted in connection with the previous environmental charges, was also aboard.
In February 2011 during an expedition to the South Pole, Berserk activated its emergency transponder with three people on board. At the time Jarle Andhøy and one of his crewmates, Samuel Massie, were driving ATVs towards the pole.

An extensive search was coordinated by New Zealand's Rescue Co-ordination Centre, and involved the governments of New Zealand, Norway, and the United States... On 25 February, the Steve Irwin found an empty, damaged lifeboat from the Berserk and several packages of drinking water, but no sign of the boat itself. After an extensive search by these vessels, the search was concluded on 1 March 2011 with all three crew member presumed dead.

So to summarize, this guy (it's difficult to type his name)

It is easy to copy and paste...  Andhøy... see?

is initially arrested, aside from the stunt with the bear, for not having insurance. Then later, he does more exploring, this time of the Northwest Passage only to search for someone who isn't even on the boat. Then this guy wakes up sans boat and sans crew members. A search is mounted but only the boat is found.

Question:
1. How is it that a full crew joins an uninsured man with no passage plan on a trip south?
3. And why would someone keep trying to travel, even when people tell him "You can't because you have a criminal record"?

Answer:
1. He didn't. The Norwegian government (a Antarctica signatory) denied him permission to enter Antarctica. He acquired insurance from elsewhere, and he had a definite passage plan. Just as police can plant drugs on a person, it is rather easy to take away pieces of paper and burn them.  "You have no insurance or passage plan."

This is your speculation. 

2. An anchored ship shouldn't be able to do that. So unless they were all tossed overboard, they fact that they have plenty of drinking water means they should have stayed with the boat. In a violent storm scenario, you'd reasonably expect some but not all to be tossed overboard, or the ship to also be destroyed. Ship only damaged, no sign of three crew members? Foul play (probably some sort of kidnapping).

More speculations.

3. If it were me, I'd tell you the reason I'd keep exploring. It would be if some assholes ruined my life with trumped up charges (the bear thing was probably legit), and I want to know what was really going on.

Still more speculation.

When I look up his name, we get his side of Wikipedia's story:
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/what-really-happened-berserk/
Your mission was to reach the pole and get back safely. What was their job?
ANDHOY: To stay with the Berserk and, if necessary, take shelter inside Ernest Shackleton’s hut. (Editor’s note: The hut is from the 1907–9 British Antarctic Expedition, during which Shackleton tried and failed to reach the South Pole. It sits on Cape Royds in McMurdo Sound.) The bay is the safest place for getting shelter from big seas, ice, and winds. The Berserk crew were also making preparations for overwintering if they had to. That involved storing equipment like fuel, food, tools, and shovels.
On the afternoon of February 22, the Berserk’s emergency beacon went off. For some reason, the boat had left its anchorage and traveled into a storm that was forecasted to hit the Ross Sea. The beacon was activated seven nautical miles from Horseshoe Bay. It lasted around 18 to 20 minutes—only a very short time before the signal died out.

Had you spoken to the crew the day before that?
ANDHOY: I’d discussed the bad weather that was coming. They had tied long polypropylene lines from the deck to shore. The plan was to stay in Horseshoe Bay, tethered to land, and if necessary stay in the hut.

What happened when you reached New Zealand?
ANDHOY: We had a meeting with representatives from New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and they were very upset because they claimed we had sailed illegally to Antarctica, and had violated environmental rules by anchoring in Horseshoe Bay. And that’s where my questions began. Sammy and I were in a situation where three of our friends were assumed to be dead, and in New Zealand we were met with the accusation that the Berserk had sailed to Antarctica illegally? When we got back to Norway, the Norwegian Polar Institute reported alleged violations of the Norwegian environmental regulations to the state prosecutor, based on information given to them by New Zealand authorities. The alleged violations were illegal sailing and anchorage in Antarctica. The criminal charges and the focus on safety lines tied to land were in direct contradiction with international maritime law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas, specifically with regard to the fundamental rights of the high seas and the right to safe passage in the seas surrounding Antarctica.

Suddenly this story about an aimless boater traveling without insurance doesn't track.

After all these years, do you know why they left?
ANDHOY: No, and from a seaman’s perspective, it is completely illogical and irrational to leave a safe anchorage and the hut on land to put your nose into a forecasted Force 12 storm in the Southern Ocean. But that’s what the timeline shows they did. In nature, you never leave shelter from a storm, but I can’t judge the captain’s call without knowing what was said and done before he made it.

All of the paperwork from the official side prior to the accident proves that the main focus of New Zealand and Norway was to make an example of an expedition that, to them, was not welcome. I don’t know what kind of pressure had been put on our crew to leave. I believe the biggest error here is that people in Norway’s and New Zealand’s administrations have focused on bureaucratic gray-zone rules in the Antarctic Treaty instead of on the security of the missing men and the expedition.

ANDHOY: By law and by definition, sailing in the Southern Ocean is not limited—that’s why these waters are legally called the high seas. And on my search expedition to Antarctica, I knew that Norway would never give me a permit to go, because officials required insurance that does not exist. So it’s like putting you in checkmate. You have to apply for a notice or a permit, but in order to get that permit you need insurance, but you can’t get it.

Sorry, what does any of this prove?  He sailed to Antarctic waters, landed on Antarctica and even explored a portion of Antarctica.  Where are the legions of armed guards people talk about?  You seem to want to turn a mystery (the missing three members) into a conspiracy. 

That's not "proof" of any sort.  If this is all you've got, I'm going to say, Busted!

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 10:55:34 AM »
One thing we can all agree on, is this…once Flat Earth Theory is returned to the standard curriculum at all learning levels, people are insured a better and more rounded education.

What this gives is the ability for correct Earth shape identification and having the resources to prove it.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 11:23:27 AM »
One thing we can all agree on, is this…once Flat Earth Theory is returned to the standard curriculum at all learning levels, people are insured a better and more rounded education.

What this gives is the ability for correct Earth shape identification and having the resources to prove it.

lol. rounded education.

also what I cam agree with is that once flat earth theory is returned to standard education, we'll be going backwards in science. centuries of scientific advancement and you've still got people believing in flat earth.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

JackBlack

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 04:43:19 PM »
Intelligence is the ability to read between the lines.
And instead of displaying any intelligence, you just reject anything which shows you are wrong, and happily any BS you think supports you.
As well as spouting any lies you think would help you.

No fake news is when you ask a legitimate question (keywords: Antarctica trip arrested), and Google instead loads articles about women being sexually assaulted in the base in Antarctica or "fact checks"(by paid shills) about how it's so easy to visit Antarctica, no restrictions at all!
No, fake news is when you spout this shit.

I searched it, and what do I get as the first result? This:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/102307/norwegian-arrested-after-antarctic-voyage

But sure, you go and lie.
Perhaps you search history has skewed your results.
After all, key words you have used include Antarctica and Arrested.
So it wouldn't be surprising to find results about people committing crime and getting arrested in Antarctica.

charged Andhøy, as the skipper, with sailing without insurance and for failing to submit a route-plan.
i.e. this person has a history of failing to comply with regulations regarding insurance.
And that was for a trip to the Arctic, not Antarctic.
Note that there are no polar bears in Antarctica.

So now you are using an article about them going north to say they got arrested for going south. Great job.

I know exactly the bias of Wikipedia.
No, you don't.
You are upset that they don't accept your delusional BS and call it what it is.
Calling your BS BS is not bias.

Question:
1 - Because they are equally reckless.
2 - Quite easily in harsh conditions. That is one reason why insurance is needed. Where they even with the boat, or did they go off as well.
3 - Because they are like you and don't give a damn what they are told.
That is why they then get arrested.

1. He didn't. The Norwegian government (a Antarctica signatory) denied him permission to enter Antarctica. He acquired insurance from elsewhere, and he had a definite passage plan.
Did he give that plan to anyone?
And any proof of that insurance?

2. An anchored ship shouldn't be able to do that.
That depends on how it is anchored and where.
they fact that they have plenty of drinking water means they should have stayed with the boat.
Why?
You already had one on an ATV heading to the pole.

3. If it were me, I'd tell you the reason I'd keep exploring. It would be if some assholes ruined my life with trumped up charges (the bear thing was probably legit), and I want to know what was really going on.
What is really going on is quite simple.
You went out without insurance, and fought the wildlife.
And if you did want to know what is going on, why not continue to the north instead of going to the south?

if necessary, take shelter inside Ernest Shackleton’s hut
So if it gets rough, leave the ship and go elsewhere, and possibly die in the process.

At no point did you establish that they had insurance. And they are upset that them breaking the law might result in charges rather than just pandering to him.

And notice how here, they are effectively admitting they didn't have a permit to go and didn't have insurance.
They also claim, with no basis, that such insurance doesn't exist.

Yet plenty of people have gone to Antarctica.

Yet again, your claims make no sense, and you are just spouting pure BS.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 06:32:10 PM »
Comments in blue.

is initially arrested, aside from the stunt with the bear, for not having insurance. Then later, he does more exploring, this time of the Northwest Passage only to search for someone who isn't even on the boat. Then this guy wakes up sans boat and sans crew members. A search is mounted but only the boat is found.

Question:

Answer:

This is your speculation. 

Actually, it's what I know of crooked cops. Even the most decent cops are not that great. I once was almost sent to prison because they thought I looked like a profile. Planted evidence? Easy. So is seizing evidence. But as we read later...

Is this speculation too? Because from what I know of insurance assessment, it works on cost-benefit analysis.  They make a checklist with pluses and minuses, and determine whether it is worth it to insure him. This is what insurance assessment for a trip from Northwest Passage down to Antarctica looks like:
+ May discover oil
+ May discover fertile land that was concealed from the public
- May get sued by governments for revealing things concealed from the public
- May get mauled by bears
- May get bitten by sharks
- May get bitten by sea lions
- May drown
- Cost of a ship and crew sailing in inherently dangerous waters

And I haven't even thought of all potential negatives. There isn't a Antarctic insurance policy, and if you wanted to make one, the positves vs negatives are so unbalanced that the average boater couldn't afford it. So the idea of permission being dependent on insurance is basically there to stonewall all attempts.

Believe it or not, I've seen this sorta thing before. In Bank of Dave, first they tried to get him convicted of a felony, so he couldn't start a small bank, then they arbitrarily set up a 12 million fee. These are tactics that elites use to prevent the little people from being a threat to them.

More speculations.

No, it's not speculation there. The boat was tethered, and there is no sane reason why they should have been sailing during a fierce storm. They should have been allowed to set up camp, insurance or no insurance. It's insane, and frankly ghoulish, to get someone to leave. While we're talking about legions of goons (your words, not mine), that they are not to be found with the ship means they were taken. Especially after a thorough search failed to reveal them.

Still more speculation.

I'm not speculating. That's exactly what I would do. When COVID hit, I smelled something fishy. Not once did I wear a mask. Or vaccine. Or anything more than distancing, and only that out of consideration for the fears of others. I then spent my effort to expose it as fraud.

Sorry, what does any of this prove?  He sailed to Antarctic waters, landed on Antarctica and even explored a portion of Antarctica.  Where are the legions of armed guards people talk about?  You seem to want to turn a mystery (the missing three members) into a conspiracy. 

Well, it appears to prove your legions of armed guards. We watch mysteries on TV alot. That's no mystery. A mystery is something unknown that needs to be solved. This is a conspiracy.

When a person has an obvious desire to retrace an exploration, if the original exploration is on the up and up, the same standards should apply. The original explorers were never told they needed permission. They were never told they needed insurance. It's not exactly a crowded path, and no I don't buy that three people in a ship can do extinction level damage to penguins. They're not exactly being chopped up into stew or anything.
This is a conspiracy, because it involves a man whose crime was not signing the A-628 form. Did Columbus need insurance to discover America? What about Lief Erikson? Not only was he basically told he couldn't do something that if the expedition had nothing to hide would be perfectly legal (you tell us all the time that Antarctic trips are real, and are easy to make, but here's this guy and his government says no, and he can't ask for permission from someone else), but when his crew went missing, they didn't focus on basic human decency, but instead told him that he had broken a law. What law? RE ppl online swear up and down that Antarctica isn't owned by anyone, and it's easy to visit. Yes, but actually now, is that it? 

Looks like...

Not Busted! Conspiracy is still a conspiracy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:34:44 PM by bulmabriefs144 »

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 04:04:29 AM »
Actually, it's what I know of crooked cops.
i.e. it is specular which you are trying to support with circular reasoning.

But as we read later.
you are entirely wrong.
They show they did not even bother applying for a permit, nor did they have insurance.

Is this speculation too? Because from what I know of insurance assessment, it works on cost-benefit analysis.  They make a checklist with pluses and minuses, and determine whether it is worth it to insure him.
No, that isn't how it works at all.
That is how investment works.

For insurance, it is risk vs reward.
They determine how much they would have to pay if various things happened, and the likelihood of them happening, to work out the expected cost to them.
They then inflate that cost and charge you so they are likely to make a profit.

Plenty of companies have insurance for trips to Antartica.

No, it's not speculation there.
Yes speculation there. You have no idea what happened but want it to be foul play.

there is no sane reason
To travel to Antarctica without insurance and a permit, yet they did.
It is already established that they aren't sane.

that they are not to be found with the ship means they were taken.
Or that they left, or that one fell overboard.
Taken is not the only option.

I'm not speculating. That's exactly what I would do.
Yet as already pointed out, you would be going the wrong way.

Well, it appears to prove your legions of armed guards.
No, it doesn't.

Do you know the simplest reason why?
If it was armed guards, why did he get to live?

This is a conspiracy.
Your desperation doesn't make it so.
You have NOTHING to support the idea of a conspiracy, and a conspiracy doesn't make sense.

When a person has an obvious desire to retrace an exploration, if the original exploration is on the up and up, the same standards should apply.
Why?
Because you say so?

Standards change over time.
In the past anyone could get on a ship and go sail out to sea, and if you got into problems you died and no one cared.
These days, rescue efforts costing substantial amounts are carried out to try to save you.

I don't buy that three people in a ship can do extinction level damage to penguins.
So to you, a few birds dying from stupidly hitting wind turbines is a massive problem and enough to shut down all attempts at making wind turbines; but for penguins you demand an extinction level event. Quite the double standard you have there.

What was the ship powered by?
What would having an accident which results in all the fuel leaking out into the environment where penguins would be going into the water to get food cause?

Not Busted! Conspiracy is still a conspiracy.
Your pathetic attempt to turn it into a conspiracy doesn't make it so.

You have a bunch of idiots travelling without a permit or insurance, doing stupid stuff, and dying/getting charged for it.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 01:28:58 PM »

lol. rounded education.

also what I cam agree with is that once flat earth theory is returned to standard education, we'll be going backwards in science. centuries of scientific advancement and you've still got people believing in flat earth.
We have won the right to have "alternative theories" like the flat earth discussed in public schools in my home state of TN. I look forward to our work growing into other states.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

gnuarm

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 01:34:13 PM »

lol. rounded education.

We have won the right to have "alternative theories" like the flat earth discussed in public schools in my home state of TN. I look forward to our work growing into other states.

Huh!  They want to be able to teach Bible science, but won't allow any works of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Now they are going to teach the flat earth mistakes?  I have friends in Tennessee, but they've never talked about this.  I guess they are embarrassed.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 01:39:56 PM »

lol. rounded education.

Huh!  They want to be able to teach Bible science, but won't allow any works of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Now they are going to teach the flat earth mistakes?  I have friends in Tennessee, but they've never talked about this.  I guess they are embarrassed.
It made national news. My guess is that you just aren't aware about the world around you; its a common trait in globe heads.

HB368 and SB893

JackBlack

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 03:03:00 PM »
The US really is going down hill fast.

But looking at the text of the law, it doesn't.
And what you have is not a theory. It is wild speculation based upon wilful rejection of the evidence.

What it does allow is presenting things which FEers claim shows Earth is flat, and explaining why that claim is BS.

gnuarm

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 03:11:49 PM »

lol. rounded education.

It made national news. My guess is that you just aren't aware about the world around you; its a common trait in globe heads.

HB368 and SB893

I can't find much on this, even if when I add Tennessee to the search.  I guess it's not so "national" after all. 

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »
No, that isn't how it works at all.
This is exactly how it works.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/uninsurable-peril.asp

There are a number of reasons why insurance isn't available
1. Even in question would be too rare (see alien abduction picture above)
2. Insurance wouldn't provide any meaningful aid. Reputational risk, political risk, or pandemic risk for example (as a scifi/fantasy example, demonic possession). These situations cannot be insured because an insurer cannot determine what the risk is and what it's worth.
3. Insurance where the risk are catastrophic and the probability of payout is high and expected (does this sound familiar?)

There is no insurance against alien abduction. There is similarly no insurance for an expedition from Northwest Passage to Antarctica. There is insurance for a cruise to Antarctica, but it's outrageous.

A expedition from North Pole to Antarctica has a high probability of payout, and the payout will be high. As surely as my planned trip to shark infested waters also near the volcanic area of the Ring of Fire would meet with scoffing from any insurance agent. They might insure me for a cruise ship ride through the area, but definitely not a wooden canoe ride. They would decide I have a death wish and that I'm scheming to have my family collect the double indemnity.

The difference is that I don't need permission to go there contingent on obtaining insurance for it.

Interestingly, I did a quick search for insuring trips to Antarctica. You know what they focused on? Trip delays, trip cancellation, trip interruption, and policy excess. In other words, for a vanilla trip to Antarctica, you are mostly covered against the trip coming to an end. Almost is if it were a sure thing that you will not go to Antarctica.

https://www.antarcticaguide.com/antarctica-travel-insurance/
Most Antarctica operators will require you to have emergency evacuation, repatriation and medical cover up to US$200,000. Generally, the minimum cost of an Antarctica evacuation is US$100,000!
For example, a travel insurance policy with World Nomads (who are particularly good when it comes to activities) cover cruises to Antarctica including zodiac trips, shore-landings, kayaking and paddle-boarding, but not all plans cover overnight or remote expeditions, trekking, climbing, mountaineering or skiing on Antarctica peaks.

On his particular trip though, as an explorer, his risks are much higher, since trip cancellation is not an option, and there is a very real possibility of extreme weather on the way there, not to mention encounters with wild animals. So yes, this was well outside the funds of a 19-year-old explorer, and something the original explorers didn't have to deal with. Pretty neat way of preventing access, no?

By the way, I looked into how many of these tours were actual expeditions. Only five, out of 66. And even those said "ship comfort." That is, you'll be back by sunset on your ship after taking a quick hike. You won't get to peek over any ice walls or mountains to see that in fact whatever you aren't allowed to see is there. No seeing the edge of Earth, sorry.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 08:25:17 AM by bulmabriefs144 »

JackBlack

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 03:21:20 PM »
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/uninsurable-peril.asp
And did you bother reading them?
The link you provided includes examples:
1 - reputational risk, where you do something to ruin your reputation.
2 - regulatory risk, where the law is changed which causes you a loss, for example, making a particular business illegal.
3 - loss of trade secrets
4 - political risk, where the government takes something or a war occurs and so on.
5 - pandemic risk, where a massive pandemic causes lots of changes and insurance companies don't want to pay.

Nothing like going on an expedition to Antartica.

1. Even in question would be too rare (see alien abduction picture above)
WRONG!
That makes it even better for insurance companies.

2. Insurance wouldn't provide any meaningful aid. Reputational risk, political risk, or pandemic risk for example (as a scifi/fantasy example, demonic possession). These situations cannot be insured because an insurer cannot determine what the risk is and what it's worth.
Notice how your statement of why doesn't match your explanation at all?

3. Insurance where the risk are catastrophic and the probability of payout is high and expected (does this sound familiar?)
Nope, that just means it is really expensive.

There is no insurance against alien abduction.
There kind of is, but it is more of a joke.
And if you really want it, and have the money, I'm sure you can get it.

There is similarly no insurance for an expedition from Northwest Passage to Antarctica.
That would be a bespoke policy tailored to the trip.
You would likely find it much easier if it was broken up.

Interestingly, I did a quick search for insuring trips to Antarctica. You know what they focused on? Trip delays, trip cancellation, trip interruption, and policy excess. In other words, for a vanilla trip to Antarctica, you are mostly covered against the trip coming to an end.
No, there are also lots of other things. e.g.:
Medical evacuation and repatriation
Emergency expenses to avoid disaster
Emergency luggage
Accidental death
Funeral expenses overseas
Personal liability

But that is focusing on you personally, rather than the company that is taking you to Antarctica.

And again, look at your blatant dishonesty.

You claim that they focus on trip delays, cancellations, interruptions and policy excess.
Yet you then directly quote that they are for emergency evacuation, repatriation and medical cover.

Pretty neat way of preventing access, no?
No, neat way of preventing fools from going to their death and damaging the Antarctic ecosystem.

gnuarm

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 07:18:45 PM »
I don't know why I thought asking this question might result in some actual answers.  Instead, it has devolved into a debate on insurance premiums. 

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2024, 09:52:43 AM »

lol. rounded education.

it's an alternative theory if and when said theory actually works to explain and predict reality. flat earth theory not only fails to do that, it is not a theory at all considering nobody has been able to explain why the atmosphere is as it is in the thread I made.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2024, 12:13:39 PM »

lol. rounded education.

HB368 and SB893

I can't find much on this, even if when I add Tennessee to the search.  I guess it's not so "national" after all. 
It made various news outlets you might be more familiar with, like comedy shows The Daily Show. My guess is it was long ago its not being indexed highly anymore.

gnuarm

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2024, 03:04:24 PM »

lol. rounded education.

HB368 and SB893

It made various news outlets you might be more familiar with, like comedy shows The Daily Show. My guess is it was long ago its not being indexed highly anymore.

So, not really national news at all.  Got it.

JackBlack

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2024, 03:17:22 PM »
More likely to be national news back when it passed.

If you want to find it, try searching for "Tennessee creationism law" or Tennessee monkey bill.
It is unfortunately overshadowed by an even more perverse and backwards bill from 1925, but you can find it.

e.g.
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/04/creationism-monkey-bill-in-tenn-075014
https://ncse.ngo/background-tennessees-21st-century-monkey-law

gnuarm

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2024, 06:06:50 PM »
More likely to be national news back when it passed.

If you want to find it, try searching for "Tennessee creationism law" or Tennessee monkey bill.
It is unfortunately overshadowed by an even more perverse and backwards bill from 1925, but you can find it.

e.g.
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/04/creationism-monkey-bill-in-tenn-075014
https://ncse.ngo/background-tennessees-21st-century-monkey-law

The claim was that I must not be very aware of my surroundings because I had not heard about it when it was "national news".  Now that has been knocked back to, if you search right, "you can find it." 

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2024, 08:04:01 PM »
The google algorithm.will prioritize new over less new.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 03:57:19 AM »

I am a Tech-Priest of the Liberal Science Division of the new world order, and I have a complaint.

Our evil plan to take over America and the free world by Darwinism and windfarms is being severely hampered by a cabal of internet free speakers who rampage across the interweb spreading the truth that climate change isn’t happening, that fossils are made by Indian stone carving farms to be distributed and buried the world over by night and that the world is flat.

By not challenging the “scientists of big oil” and their ilk, (because that is capitalism and what would the NWO have to do with that) they ensure these blameless and wonderful companies, who in no way would benefit from the relaxation of anti-pollution laws or the cessation of their backhanders tax breaks, can carry on and they prove themselves as pro-real science and not money grabbing faux professors out of ivory tower institutions that make more in a day than a Saudi oil prince will make in a lifetime.

It’s about time these recidivists were rounded up and sent to the FEMA camps and homosexual training centres so they can become good sheeple.

Is it my imagination or is it getting hot in here?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68921215
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2024, 12:59:32 PM »

lol. rounded education.

HB368 and SB893

No, it was covered by the main networks news stations. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your search engine. Like others have said, it doesn't prioritize 14 year old news.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2024, 02:31:24 PM »

lol. rounded education.

HB368 and SB893

No, it was covered by the main networks news stations. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your search engine. Like others have said, it doesn't prioritize 14 year old news.

Flat Earth belief has always been mentioned in High School level history class. But, flat earth has never, and can never, be "taught". What is there to teach? A rag tag bunch of people whose only consensus is the world is flat, and they agree on nothing else pertaining to that flatness, doesn't present much in the way of a curriculum.

Aside from history class, I suppose it could also be mentioned in psychology class as a modern mental disorder which was born in the modern misinformation highway of unchecked social media. As an example of social media being a powerful tool to radicalize some people's minds on an extremely impractical and unlikely premise, it may also be worthy of academic discussion.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2024, 03:23:00 PM »
The psychology class should discuss the modern mental illness displayed by angry globularists who make several accounts on the Flat Earth forums.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2024, 04:05:33 PM »
Who s an alt?

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 08:47:23 PM »
The psychology class should discuss the modern mental illness displayed by angry globularists who make several accounts on the Flat Earth forums.

Yes it should. So, how many multiple accounts are you up to now, on this forum? Five or six?

You know, I like your Timeisup globularist persona the most. Jura is ok, too.

But Space Cowgirl as a fiery unwashed hairy armpitted feminist with a username which acknowledges space, is a bit on the nose if you know what I mean? No space denying, anti science flat earther in their right mind would put the word "space" in their username, now, would they? So obvious.

I just hope nobody is paying you, an angry globularist, to moderate their flat forum.