Using Avatars

• 10 Replies

gnuarm

Using Avatars
« on: April 24, 2024, 09:59:28 PM »
I assume avatars are the images that sit above a post?  I'd like to add one, but I can't get it to work.  I'm trying to use the URL method and I keep getting an error: The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar. 

The image is a jpg, not so large (X by Y dimension).  Anyway, what are the requirements for an avatar? 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Using Avatars
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 06:40:39 AM »
We might have hotlink protection on (I don't have access to that stuff). Anyway, this is a fairly common problem with SMF. You can try saving the image to your device, and then uploading using "Upload an avatar" and then "browse". 

Okay, I just had a look at the avatar settings. We don't have the URL method enabled. I'm not going to enable it, because John might not have done that for a reason.

If you have problems uploading an avatar using the other method, let me know.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 10:39:16 AM »
I believe you can thank the 'other site' for that being disabled. It also stops folks from having a legitimate avatar and then replacing it later with pron.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 12:35:08 PM »
I figured you had a good reason for not enabling that!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

gnuarm

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 02:28:22 PM »
We might have hotlink protection on (I don't have access to that stuff). Anyway, this is a fairly common problem with SMF.

I don't know what SMF is.  Can you explain?  All I find on the Internet is for MIDI data, which is music.  My file is JPEG, and I can convert it to others... just not MIDI. 

You can try saving the image to your device, and then uploading using "Upload an avatar" and then "browse". 

Meaning, no larger, no smaller??  Does it matter what format the file is in?

Shouldn't this all be on a page somewhere?

Okay, I just had a look at the avatar settings. We don't have the URL method enabled. I'm not going to enable it, because John might not have done that for a reason.

If you have problems uploading an avatar using the other method, let me know.

OK, but in the meantime, maybe it would be helpful to actually indicate on the web page that it doesn't work? 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 03:49:47 PM »
SMF is Simple Machines Forum, it's the software this forum runs on.

No, it can be smaller, 125x125 is the max. If you upload something bigger the forum software will try to resize it. Usually works, but sometimes it borks. JPEG and PNG are fine, GIFs work, but you have to get the file size down and I do not know what the limit on that is.

I see you've got your avatar now. It would be helpful to somehow let people know that they can't use the URL option, but I'm not going to rewrite the forum software or anything. 

gnuarm

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 10:45:18 PM »
Ok, got it uploaded from my hard drive.  The 125 x 125 doesn't seem to be a limitation.  I don't know what size my avatar is, but it's not square and I know it's larger than 125 pixels.  Anyway, I still think it would be good to provide some info on the page where you upload the image, to explain what works and what doesn't.  Like maybe "Don't use this button, it doesn't work" would be good.  :-O

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 10:53:33 PM »
Ok, got it uploaded from my hard drive.  The 125 x 125 doesn't seem to be a limitation.  I don't know what size my avatar is, but it's not square and I know it's larger than 125 pixels.  Anyway, I still think it would be good to provide some info on the page where you upload the image, to explain what works and what doesn't.  Like maybe "Don't use this button, it doesn't work" would be good.  :-O

No, your picture is definitely ≤ 125x125. To be precise, it's 125x60. seems like it's resized automatically, but maintaining aspect ratio
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 06:24:59 AM »
Yes, the forum software resizes avatars that are too large, or it tries to. Sometimes it doesn't work and you get an error message. If you want a properly sized avatar with an aspect ratio that you like, you have to do it yourself. There are apps if you do it on your phone, if you have a desktop you can use MS Paint, etc. You just have to look around for a program that you like, there are tons of them.

Anyway, I think your spaghetti monster av looks pretty good the way it is.

gnuarm

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2024, 06:29:52 PM »

No, your picture is definitely ≤ 125x125. To be precise, it's 125x60. seems like it's resized automatically, but maintaining aspect ratio

I think that's the size after uploading.  On my drive it is 323 x 156.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 10:24:14 PM »
You did nail the spaghet.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.