Crow's nest declared useless

• 148 Replies
Re: Crow's nest declared useless
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
khm * troll * khm.

Yes, every single person, who has ever climbed to the crow's nest has been intoxicated and a pirate.
Ok, i'm out of here. The whole flat earth idea is made for trolling anyway.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:39:50 PM by Syntax »

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
Please read ENaG.

* Thork takes a bow, waves to the crowd and walks off to rapturous applause. A veteran performance.
Rowbotham's explanation of perspective at sea is flawed, something he would have seen if his desire to have the world flat didn't overirde his common sense.

Yes, the swell can certainly make it appear that the lower part of the boat has disappeared.  However the swell is something continually changing.  If the swell on any given day of experiment, was sufficient at times to obscure the hull, it would do so on and off, not continuously.  So if you were to take several measurements over the course of several minutes, you could expect that at some times the hull will be obscured at other times not.  The level of the swell changes minute to minute.

Recently I visited the seaside and took some photos of ships in Moreton Bay.  I took a series of photos, some taken at sea level, some taken from atop a cliff face, coincidentally about the height of a crows nest - 10m.  In all cases the sea level photos showed an obscured hull, and the cliff top photos showed an unobscured hull.  The camera used to take the photos had affixed a 250mm lens on a 3/4 frame sensor (equivalent to 380mm). 

It was quite a hot day, and there was reflection on the surface of the water nearest the ships (by line of sight). This makes it look at first glance like the horizon is lower than it actually is.  I have drawn lines through the middle of the reflection to show where the horizon actually lies.  This reflection disappears once you gain some height.  It can be seen that, if the earth were flat, the waterline of the ships would be at the mid point of the reflection, yet once you climb to 10 metres, the ships waterline is suddenly much lower.

It's quite clear from these photos that the ship appears to be sitting ON the horizon while at sea level, yet at 10m, you can see clearly that the Horizon is beyond the ship. All the images, including versions without the reflection line drawn on, can also be viewed here:

My Location was -27.32519, 153.08607, corner of Swan and Shorncliffe Parades, Shorncliffe.
Ships 1 2 and 3 where located at approximately -27.2314, 153.334, 25km from my position.
The Gantry and Berthed ship where located at approximately -27.3617, 153.180, 10km from my position.

Each ship is displayed in the order the photos were taken.

Ship 1  (distance approx 25km):
10 metres:

Ships below the Horizon by max_wedge, on Flickr

sea level

10 metres:

Sea Level

10 metres:

Ship 2  (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

10  metres:

sea level:

20 metres:

Ship 3  (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

10 metres:

sea level:

Berthed Ship (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

20 metre:

Gantry (distance 25km):
sea level:

20 metres:

My location:

20110828-002 by max_wedge, on Flickr

First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Please read ENaG.

* Thork takes a bow, waves to the crowd and walks off to rapturous applause. A veteran performance.

This would be a sufficient explanation of the disappearance of a ship's hull before the rigging and mast-head; but as already stated in every one of the instances given, except that of the ship at sea, a telescope will restore to view whatever has disappeared to the naked eye.

Watching a ship through a telescope, you can see it sink below the horizon.  Observations in book discredited.  Next explanation?
You can. However, and I have observed this personally, if you look at a ship out to sea with the naked eye and then with a telescope, the telescope will to a degree restore the ship's hull.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:15 AM »
Please read ENaG.

Rowbotham's explanation of perspective at sea is flawed, something he would have seen if his desire to have the world flat didn't overirde his common sense.

Yes, the swell can certainly make it appear that the lower part of the boat has disappeared.  However the swell is something continually changing.  If the swell on any given day of experiment, was sufficient at times to obscure the hull, it would do so on and off, not continuously.  So if you were to take several measurements over the course of several minutes, you could expect that at some times the hull will be obscured at other times not.  The level of the swell changes minute to minute.

Recently I visited the seaside and took some photos of ships in Moreton Bay.  I took a series of photos, some taken at sea level, some taken from atop a cliff face, coincidentally about the height of a crows nest - 10m.  In all cases the sea level photos showed an obscured hull, and the cliff top photos showed an unobscured hull.  The camera used to take the photos had affixed a 250mm lens on a 3/4 frame sensor (equivalent to 380mm). 

It was quite a hot day, and there was reflection on the surface of the water nearest the ships (by line of sight). This makes it look at first glance like the horizon is lower than it actually is.  I have drawn lines through the middle of the reflection to show where the horizon actually lies.  This reflection disappears once you gain some height.  It can be seen that, if the earth were flat, the waterline of the ships would be at the mid point of the reflection, yet once you climb to 10 metres, the ships waterline is suddenly much lower.

It's quite clear from these photos that the ship appears to be sitting ON the horizon while at sea level, yet at 10m, you can see clearly that the Horizon is beyond the ship. All the images, including versions without the reflection line drawn on, can also be viewed here:

My Location was -27.32519, 153.08607, corner of Swan and Shorncliffe Parades, Shorncliffe.
Ships 1 2 and 3 where located at approximately -27.2314, 153.334, 25km from my position.
The Gantry and Berthed ship where located at approximately -27.3617, 153.180, 10km from my position.

well done for making some research! these are good photos. i would try and get some of a sinking object on the floor too at aprox 1:10 scale

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 07:27:38 AM »
Please read ENaG.

Ship 1  (distance approx 25km):
10 metres:

sea level

10 metres:

Sea Level

10 metres:

Ship 2  (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

10  metres:

sea level:

20 metres:

Ship 3  (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

10 metres:

sea level:

Berthed Ship (distance approx 25km):
sea level:

20 metre:

Gantry (distance 25km):
sea level:

20 metres:

My location:

20110828-002 by max_wedge, on Flickr

All obviously shopped. Boats don't float in mid air.

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 07:30:59 AM »

You at least could have had the decency to edit the pictures out. Also: none of the boats are floating.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 07:32:32 AM »
Please read ENaG.

This would be a sufficient explanation of the disappearance of a ship's hull before the rigging and mast-head; but as already stated in every one of the instances given, except that of the ship at sea, a telescope will restore to view whatever has disappeared to the naked eye.

Watching a ship through a telescope, you can see it sink below the horizon.  Observations in book discredited.  Next explanation?
You can. However, and I have observed this personally, if you look at a ship out to sea with the naked eye and then with a telescope, the telescope will to a degree restore the ship's hull.
this is balderdash.  If you can't see the object clearly then yes a telescope can restore the image (but not once it has dropped below the horizon).

The gibberish about something disappearing from the bottom first as it recedes into the distance is just plain balony.  I've watched all kinds of things dissappear into the distance and never seen people's feet disappear or the wheels of cars disappear such that they seem to be running on their bottom.

What happens is that small objects seem to disappear before the bulkier objects.  So peoples feet may seem to disappear, especially to those with poor vision, but so do their hands and any other small details. The detail blurs into the surroundings.

Now in my pictures above, note that the ships hull is 1. not a small detail but infact a significant part of the ship and 2. the image is quite clear enough that the delineation (in the 10 metre images) between waterline and hull is obvious.  At sea level, the line of the horizon (accounting for the reflection, which btw is perfectly obvious) shows that less of the hull is visible.

First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »

Nice job quoting me, all pictures included, for that one line of wisdom...

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
Those images are highly inconsistent. For example, why has the ship with the least freeboard been obscured the least at roughly the same distance?
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Agnostic

• Sylvain P. - French Engineer & Flat Earth Theorist
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
What we see here is not the spherical curvature of the earth, but the waves simply hiding the boat.

Indeed, the ground of the oceans is made of hills and mountains. It obliges the surfaces of the oceans to have curved shapes here and there, but that does not mean that the earth is round.

Such a conclusion is highly dangerous.

Also, in that perspective, the crowd's nest was not useless.
"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

"The world is flat." 2005. Thomas Friedman

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 08:21:34 AM »
Those images are highly inconsistent. For example, why has the ship with the least freeboard been obscured the least at roughly the same distance?
As far as I can see that image is the only inconsistancy. 

These ships are waiting for an opportunity to load cargo at the nearby port - it's possible that this ship was pumping out ballast prior to loading her cargo.  As you can see in the last picture she was heading toward port.  There is a only a 5 minute difference between the pictures though and I'm not sure if this is a realistic explanation. The other and more likely explanation is swell caused by the vessel behind her (going backwards actually - in the series of uncropped photos it's more obvious.)

Also I typo'd on the last image of ship 2, it was actually taken from 20m.

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
Further to my last reply, ship 3, was a considerable distance further (though the same distance parallel to the shore) from  my standpoint than the other two ships.

You'll have to excuse me for the rough distance calculations but I was only able to make rough guesses.  The exact distances don't make any difference to the obvious fact that the ships lower hulls can be revealed simply by climbing a hill.

I know that I took these images, performed no editing other than cropping, and that the exif data is correct (viewable by creating a free flickr account and viewing my images online)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitdroidtech/sets/72157627536447220/) though of course if someone doesn't want to believe me there is not much I can do about it.

?

Agnostic

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 08:39:41 AM »
What we see here is not the spherical curvature of the earth, but the waves simply hiding the boat.

Indeed, the ground of the oceans is made of hills and mountains. It obliges the surfaces of the oceans to have curved shapes here and there, but that does not mean that the earth is round.

Such a conclusion is highly dangerous.

Also, in that perspective, the crowd's nest was not useless.

The rational solution is here there is not much to say.
"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »

Those waves would have to be 10 feet tall in order to hide that much hull.
Ice wall ninja

?

Verrine

• Friend of Dr Crustinator
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
Indeed, the ground of the oceans is made of hills and mountains. It obliges the surfaces of the oceans to have curved shapes here and there

Incorrect.

?

Agnostic

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
This is not incorrect, the ground of the oceans is made of hills and mountains.

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »

He was talking about this part:

It obliges the surfaces of the oceans to have curved shapes here and there
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:45 AM »

waves and swells are "curved shapes", but the point is it was calm on this day....

?

Verrine

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

waves and swells are "curved shapes"

Irrelevant.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
It's a perspective effect. If the author had used a telescope the ship would have been restored from beyond the vanishing point. The sinking ship effect is actually a proof for a flat earth, not a round one.

Please read Chapter 14 of Earth Not a Globe

Perhaps the most visually stunning fact which proves the earth as a plane is the sinking ship effect. As a ship recedes into the ocean's horizon, distant from the observer, it will appear to the naked eye to sink from the bottom up into the sea after it touches the horizon line. It has been found that this effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view. This is not possible if the ship were really behind a "hill of water." Hence, the effect which is usually thought to prove the earth as a globe really proves it to be a plane.

It's one of the first and primary proofs of a Flat Earth. The fact that a telescope can restore a half-sunken ship demonstrates that the ship is not traveling behind a convex sea.

From Zetetic Cosmogony by Thomas Winship we read:

How does your model of the earth explain away these explicitly detailed accounts?

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
All that 1 guy does in enag is make claims and arguments, there have been no modern independent studies that support or back up his claims.
Ice wall ninja

?

Agnostic

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
All that 1 guy does in enag is make claims and arguments, there have been no modern independent studies that support or back up his claims.

And not one to refute them.

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »

And not one to refute them.

Incorrect. There have been at least two experiments done at the Bedford canal that supported RET.
Unknown != Magic.

?

Agnostic

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
Incorrect. There have been at least two experiments done at the Bedford canal that supported RET.

I am sure that I can (tomorrow) review the so-called 'experiments' to debunk their flaws.

Give the links.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:11:10 PM by Harutsedo »
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »

I am sure that I can (tomorrow) review the so-called 'experiments' to debunk their flaws.

Give the links.

The results might go against common sense causing you to claim bs.

You get less wet walking in the rain, running gets you more wet. It goes against common sense but those were the results the mythbusters got when they tested it.
Ice wall ninja

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
It's a perspective effect. If the author had used a telescope the ship would have been restored from beyond the vanishing point. The sinking ship effect is actually a proof for a flat earth, not a round one.

Please read Chapter 14 of Earth Not a Globe

Perhaps the most visually stunning fact which proves the earth as a plane is the sinking ship effect. As a ship recedes into the ocean's horizon, distant from the observer, it will appear to the naked eye to sink from the bottom up into the sea after it touches the horizon line. It has been found that this effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view. This is not possible if the ship were really behind a "hill of water." Hence, the effect which is usually thought to prove the earth as a globe really proves it to be a plane.

It's one of the first and primary proofs of a Flat Earth. The fact that a telescope can restore a half-sunken ship demonstrates that the ship is not traveling behind a convex sea.

From Zetetic Cosmogony by Thomas Winship we read:
How does your model of the earth explain away these explicitly detailed accounts?

from http://books.google.com/books?id=SdMXAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22Mauritius%20reported%20that%20he%20had%22&pg=PA32#v=onepage&q&f=false
Atmosphere can do weird things on occasions.

and when he showed that one guy:
sqrt(((3 963 + (20 / 5 280))^2) - (3 963^2)) = 5.4793012 miles
10 - 5.4793012 = 4.5206988 miles
(sqrt((3963^2) + (4.5206988^2)) - 3963) * miles = 13.6141602 feet

yes, the hull would have been at least partly (almost half) visible. so what?

When hes alone at 100 feet:
sqrt(((3 963 + (100 / 5 280))^2) - (3 963^2)) = 12.2521017 miles
Part of the hull could have disappeared, (say at least half, or 13 feet)
and he could have seen it out to at least 13.6141602 + 4.5206988 = 18.134859 miles,
easily beyond the resolving power of the telescope.

At any rate, these are all anecdotal, go take some pics on a normal day, like pitdroidtech.

I've seen and photoed it too, no amount of power will get the bottom of those tankers back.

?

Verrine

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »

Rowbotham's law of perspective has absolutely no basis in fact.  His "explicitly detailed accounts" are either lies or mistakes.  Where is the mathematical proof that shows how light travels in such a way as to obscure the ship from the bottom up? 

In the above photos, my lens gave the camera an effective 8x magnification.  The view of the ship is quite clear and detailed - enough to overcome any "vanishing point" loss of detail.  The only detail not observable is that which is too small for the lens (or my eyesight) to resolve.  The hull of the ship is well and truly large enough to resolve clearly.

As an object recedes, all it's frontal elements reduce in apparent size in equal proportion to eachother.  This happens regardless of of the position of the object in your field of view.  Indeed, when you are looking at an object, it is always in the middle of your field of view.  The "horizon" mentioned in the law of perspective is in practical application, the line drawn horizontal through the centre of your point of focus.  If you are looking at a ship it is the horizon, but if you are looking at an aeroplane for example, it is not the horizon.  The law is the same.  It's patently ridiculous that the physical law of how light travels from an object to register on your retina, would somehow be different when you are looking at the physical horizon compared to anywhere else.

The diagram below shows how light travels from the object to the eye through a lens. It doesn't matter if the lens in the human eye, a glass lens, or combinations of the two.  Note the 'axis' line in the image - this is where the vanishing point recedes to, not the 'horizon' as used in classical drawing.

<edited to correct lame typos>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:33:25 PM by pitdroidtech »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

That wasn't a passage from Earth Not a Globe.

Atmosphere can do weird things on occasions.

The atmosphere isn't going to restore the hull of a ship when looked at through a telescope.

At any rate, these are all anecdotal, go take some pics on a normal day, like pitdroidtech.

They are not anecdotal. There are multiple accounts from independent observers in that chapter of Zetetic Cosmogony that I posted.

There are also accounts of restoring half sunken ships with telescopes in the chapter "Experiments on Lake Michigan" in the book Cellular Cosmogony.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/cc/cc21.htm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:03:10 PM by Tom Bishop »