Round earth is ignorance

• 27 Replies
Round earth is ignorance
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:12:12 AM »
Anyone who believes they live on a round earth is ignorant. They don't even know the radius. Let alone how to measure it or having ever done an experiment to prove that it is what they claim. Why are they so content being idiots? Maybe they don't even realize it.

Re: Round earth is ignorance
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:29:47 AM »
"Because the Earth is not perfectly spherical, no single value serves as its natural radius. Distances from points on the surface to the center range from 6,353 km to 6,384 km (≈3,947–3,968 mi). Several different ways of modeling the Earth as a sphere each yield a convenient mean radius of 6,371 km (≈3,959 mi)."
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:59 AM »
I'm not content being an idiot, three-dimensional-world. In fact I'd hope that my readiness to alter my beliefs in the light of new theories, evidence, facts and proofs would render me less of an idiot than those incapable of being persuaded to change their minds.

But if, as you say, in order to accept a theory about the shape of your world, one requires an accurate radius, you can certainly help to convince me that the earth is flat by telling me its exact radius.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
Re: Flat earth is ignorance
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:54 AM »
Anyone who believes they live on a flat earth is ignorant. They can't even agree on the distance to the sun or stars or end of the icewall. Let alone how to measure it or having ever done an experiment to prove that it is what they claim. Why are they so content being idiots? Maybe they don't even realize it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:44:52 AM by thefireproofmatch »
we're expected to throw up our hands and just BELIEVE.

maserati

• Flat Earth Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
"Because the Earth is not perfectly spherical, no single value serves as its natural radius. Distances from points on the surface to the center range from 6,353 km to 6,384 km (≈3,947–3,968 mi). Several different ways of modeling the Earth as a sphere each yield a convenient mean radius of 6,371 km (≈3,959 mi)."

yes actually this is the image of the earth

When DOGMA is so deeply embedded, LOGIC, REALITY and FACTS are replaced by STUPIDITY, MYTH and outright LIES

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
I don't understand your post, maserati.
Also, I would like to point out that the radius of the Earth in FET is more unknown than in RET.
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I don't understand your post, maserati.
Also, I would like to point out that the radius of the Earth in FET is more unknown than in RET.
Well FET has limitations on that discovery, the Earth either being infinite, or our lack of possibility to do the research due to either Conspiracy agents or just the harsh conditions of the arctic.

You REer got no excuse, so to speak.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »

Well FET has limitations on that discovery, the Earth either being infinite, or our lack of possibility to do the research due to either Conspiracy agents or just the harsh conditions of the arctic.

I agree. Round Earthers have no excuse for not knowing the radius of the earth. Fortunately they do know it. And because there are variations (as it's not a perfectly smooth, perfect sphere), these have been calculated too. Distances from points on the surface to the centre range from 6,353km to 6,384km.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:59:35 PM »

I agree. Round Earthers have no excuse for not knowing the radius of the earth. Fortunately they do know it. And because there are variations (as it's not a perfectly smooth, perfect sphere), these have been calculated too. Distances from points on the surface to the centre range from 6,353km to 6,384km.
They have an estimate then?
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
Mind you one a common man can't debunk.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

No, it's not an estimate.  It's a range based on the geodesic surveys of the size and shape of the earth.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 03:26:02 AM »

Hello Vongeo. Thank you for your reply.

The earth is not perfectly smooth. The radius from the centre to the top of a mountain is different to the radius from the centre to the bottom of the ocean. That doesn't make such measurements estimates.

It could be looked at like this: what's the radius of your head? It'll vary depending on whether you're measuring it from the centre to your ear or to the end of your nose. Both can be measured with a great degree of accuracy, and both aren't estimates, but the figures will vary.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:17:19 AM »

Hello Vongeo. Thank you for your reply.

The earth is not perfectly smooth. The radius from the centre to the top of a mountain is different to the radius from the centre to the bottom of the ocean. That doesn't make such measurements estimates.

It could be looked at like this: what's the radius of your head? It'll vary depending on whether you're measuring it from the centre to your ear or to the end of your nose. Both can be measured with a great degree of accuracy, and both aren't estimates, but the figures will vary.
Do you not Measure the Radius of a sphere from the inner circle.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »

The earth is not a perfect sphere.  http://astrodinamica.altervista.org/ESU/chap02.htm
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 06:41:19 AM »

The earth is not a perfect sphere.  http://astrodinamica.altervista.org/ESU/chap02.htm
I'd have to agree.

?

Puttah

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »
I'd have to agree.
Huh?

And cheers for markjo throwing in some maths that requires a firm knowledge of ellipses (not taught until late high school/early college math classes) to shut up the FEers  ;)
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »

The earth is not a sphere. 
I'd have to agree.
Let alone a perfect one.

?

Puttah

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
Anyone who believes they live on a round earth is ignorant. They don't even know the radius. Let alone how to measure it or having ever done an experiment to prove that it is what they claim. Why are they so content being idiots? Maybe they don't even realize it.
I'm guessing 99% of your posts are situated in the brainless lower fora, because your display of trolling is just horrifically embarrassing.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

rooster

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

Almost everyone in this forum who defends FET is a troll on a professional level. It is very impressive and they are (some of them) probably extremely intelligent. This OP however, is not one of those people.

?

Puttah

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »

Almost everyone in this forum who defends FET is a troll on a professional level. It is very impressive and they are (some of them) probably extremely intelligent.
The more correct term would be Devil's Advocates  ;)

And yes, I agree with that statement about the OP.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »

I like that image, it explains the supposed curvature of the earth without resorting to bendy light.

?

Puttah

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
I like that image, it explains the supposed curvature of the earth without resorting to bendy light.
But it too has its own problems so it's not better than a flat Earth.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
But it too has its own problems so it's not better than a flat Earth.
The earth is very wide near the edge, yes, but that's where the satanist airlines and ice wall-guarding snipers come in...

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
Well done everyone for completely missing the point of this thread.

I am talking about the common man, of course you can look this stuff up online. That's irrelevant.

What I was saying was that the people who most vehemently defend round earth theory are ignorant because they don't know basic facts about their theory.

maserati

• Flat Earth Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »

i rectify the pic...
maybe these pic is more correct about the shape of our earth

why? because if see the earth from sky the earth look concave so the earth is a circle
When DOGMA is so deeply embedded, LOGIC, REALITY and FACTS are replaced by STUPIDITY, MYTH and outright LIES

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »

I am talking about the common man, of course you can look this stuff up online. That's irrelevant.

What I was saying was that the people who most vehemently defend round earth theory are ignorant because they don't know basic facts about their theory.
Round earthers are ignorant because some of them don't know the exact length of the earth's radius off the top of their head. Pretty good logic (or trolling).
we're expected to throw up our hands and just BELIEVE.

?

Puttah

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
Quoting you from the OP:
Anyone who believes they live on a round earth is ignorant.

And who cares if the average individual that never gave the Earth's shape a second thought is blindly following it or not. That's the point of scientists, they specialize in their field to discover truths about our Universe, and then in layman terms (without all the details) the community is told that such and such is true.

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »

You miss the point of education.  That's why we send our kids to school, so they know this stuff.

The fact the earth is round is not taught on consensus, it's taught because it is known to be fact.  I have not seen a single scrap of evidence on this site that brings into question any of the major, well known facts that prove the earth is round.  Only vague conjecture.

First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "