The Sciences and Athletics, Not The Arts, Should Be Cut

• 9 Replies
The Sciences and Athletics, Not The Arts, Should Be Cut
« on: April 19, 2024, 08:56:37 PM »
Schools usually overfund athletics, math, and science. And they cut the arts.

But let's think about this. What inspired more growth of human spirit?

Was it the Pantheon (not to be confused with the Parthenon, this is a cement building that as lasted 1200 years)? Was it the Cistine Chapel? Was it Margaret Keane's paintings?

Or was it our athetics and military? Athletics is necessary to stay fit. But it shouldn't be a major, and it shouldn't fund scholarships. We don't need jocks to prop up an already bloated military, we just need a sufficient military to defend our country and a no-posturing system to diplomacy and warfare. Require a few years of military like Israel and South Korea. Then let most of us get on with our lives.

Or was math and science? Our math and science created genetically modified organisms in our food and actual attempts to "patent" seeds by making them non-reproducible, grapes so grafted that they can't really breed normally anymore, bananas that are so cloned that a single blight could wipe a huge number out, medicine that is actively research gain of function to make people sick instead of first doing no harm, banks that screw with people's lives and then get bailed out for it, and weapons of mass destruction from bio-weapons to atom bombs to even one weapon that clears people without any destruction to property.

We need more creative people. More novelists, more poets, more musicians, and more artists. Not more idiots who think they are smart because they learned what other mathematicians or other scientists taught. We can do without climate indoctrination, RE indoctrination, and NASA secularism. If you personally want to become a scientist, just as if you personally decide you are an atheist, that's on you. But the government has no business funding any of that crap. If you want, fund actual promising artists. People who create beauty and wonder in this world grow a more peaceful and prosperous vision of the future. What has science and math brought us in the last 100 years but destructive machines, higher taxes, and more war and control? Cut their funding and give it to people who make stuff like this.

People ought to be inspired, not oppressed. Or as someone once said,
Once, a long time ago, there was a wise Zen master. People from far and near would seek his counsel and ask for his wisdom. Many would come and ask him to teach them, enlighten them in the way of Zen. He seldom turned any away.

One day an important man, a man used to command and obedience came to visit the master. “I have come today to ask you to teach me about Zen. Open my mind to enlightenment.” The tone of the important man’s voice was one used to getting his own way.

The Zen master smiled and said that they should discuss the matter over a cup of tea. When the tea was served the master poured his visitor a cup. He poured and he poured and the tea rose to the rim and began to spill over the table and finally onto the robes of the wealthy man. Finally the visitor shouted, “Enough. You are spilling the tea all over. Can’t you see the cup is full?”

The master stopped pouring and smiled at his guest. “You are like this tea cup, so full that nothing more can be added. Come back to me when the cup is empty. Come back to me with an empty mind.”

What in modern terms is called technocracy. The people are too learned to filled wit the biases of former teachers, too filled with destructive knowledge, and not open or kind. They use craft to rule over others.

Quote from: Themightykabool
crazy people don't know they're crazy.

Re: The Sciences and Athletics, Not The Arts, Should Be Cut
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 04:13:41 AM »
Cut their funding and give it to people who make stuff like this.
As often, I've no idea if you are a satire account.

That "art" just looks like hideous AI generated bullshit.
"I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, but JimmyTheLobster is clearly a genius.  Probably one of the smartest arthropods  of his generation." - JimmyTheCrab

Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The woke left have tried to erase photosynthesis

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 06:27:46 AM »
They are not going to cut sports because sports makes the money.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 01:15:16 PM »
Art makes money too. Good paintings can fetch tidy profit and be featured in museums.

The difference is that athletes actually make huge demands like $745 million for their "work" which is little more than entertaining a crowd by running around bases.

A piece of artwork can be resold even after the original person is dead.

More importantly, art makes money. You see, some artists make counterfeit money instead (why it's important to fund them, no?) or simply "take the money and run."

Actually supporting the development of the arts, and making standards (no bullshit minimalism, no brutalism, and no unworked materials passed off as finished), is the way forward.

And no, I have no objection to AI art, so long as it has some sort of oversight (looking at the fingers to make sure there's no creepy six-fingered ppl and the like).

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 02:39:02 PM »
Also, give this a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

It's a list of unethical science experiments just in the United States. This doesn't even include things like unethical weapons or procedures, just the experiments. "Trust the science." Until you read about numerous attempts to deliberately make people sick in order to test the effectiveness of medicines. Including stuff like deliberately getting them sick with syphilis.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 01:48:02 AM »
Also, give this a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

It's a list of unethical science experiments just in the United States. This doesn't even include things like unethical weapons or procedures, just the experiments. "Trust the science." Until you read about numerous attempts to deliberately make people sick in order to test the effectiveness of medicines. Including stuff like deliberately getting them sick with syphilis.

Did you also know that Japanese blacksmiths used to chop criminals with their creations to test its effectiveness?
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 01:51:13 AM »
Art makes money too. Good paintings can fetch tidy profit and be featured in museums.

The difference is that athletes actually make huge demands like $745 million for their "work" which is little more than entertaining a crowd by running around bases.

A piece of artwork can be resold even after the original person is dead.

More importantly, art makes money. You see, some artists make counterfeit money instead (why it's important to fund them, no?) or simply "take the money and run."

Actually supporting the development of the arts, and making standards (no bullshit minimalism, no brutalism, and no unworked materials passed off as finished), is the way forward.

And no, I have no objection to AI art, so long as it has some sort of oversight (looking at the fingers to make sure there's no creepy six-fingered ppl and the like).
Yeah, sure bulma. Art definitely makes good money. By laundering it, that is.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »

Also only the art that BB’s manga centered chocolate box sensibilities allow, and let’s forget antibiotics, the computer he’s using, the life of relative luxury he will lead as opposed to his ancient forebears, and the liquid gel pen because doctor evil.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

?

Cameron 1964

• On the run from the Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 08:25:06 PM »
So you want not just fund the arts, but set standards for this art. So like a bunch of politicians you want to decide what's acceptable art? Wow. I thought we fought that crap off years and years ago.

I don't disagree that a wealthy society needs to invest in the arts as well as math and science. Sports also has value. Do you not think women's sports are important? Especially at high school and below.
Big time college sports are big business and finally seeing some reform in the NCAA, which more or less promotes the equivalent of slavery.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 06:46:39 AM »
So bulma wants regulations on AI and medical testing.

How interesting....