A question about where to start the research

• 38 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: A question about where to start the research
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Perhaps you people do not understand what a Question and Answer forum is? 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
And perhaps you personally do not understand that sometimes the answers need to be discussed more fully in order to satisfactorily resolve the question.  In situations like this, it's better to simply move the thread to the appropriate forum than to try to stifle the discussion.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
And perhaps you personally do not understand that sometimes the answers need to be discussed more fully in order to satisfactorily resolve the question.  In situations like this, it's better to simply move the thread to the appropriate forum than to try to stifle the discussion.

Or, you could just make a new thread instead of $hitt1ng up the Q&A thread.  ::)

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »

Or, you could just make a new thread instead of $hitt1ng up the Q&A thread.  ::)
Challenging or correcting an incorrect answer is "shitting up" [your term] a thread?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
I really do appreciate all this information though, even if everyone seems to be arguing a bit about the details. It's good insight and adds a bit of context to what I'm reading. Besides the book written by Rowbotham, are there other authors I should focus on who had a significant contribution to Flat Earth Theory and research? Or does Rowbotham stand alone as the "go-to-guy" on the subject? And, according to Wikipedia he was also an inventor; is there any mention to what sort of things he invented?

?

Goth

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:04 AM »
I would say, there is no real' darkness, but maybe real ignorance.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Besides the book written by Rowbotham, are there other authors I should focus on who had a significant contribution to Flat Earth Theory and research? Or does Rowbotham stand alone as the "go-to-guy" on the subject?
A former member of this site collected some on-line and off-line resources that may be of interest.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=17760.0#.VEkpbLDF9hA

And, according to Wikipedia he was also an inventor; is there any mention to what sort of things he invented?
He is said to have invented and sold, among other things, a phosphorus tonic cure all under the name Dr. Birley.  He also patented a safety passenger rail car that never went into production.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the information and resources guys!  :)

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »
If you read further in that thread, there is a document from a patent office that cites Rowbotham as an M.D. as well as a newspaper clipping I think.
That just shows the quack went around calling himself MD, nothing else.

Again, not totally conclusive, but I could accept that he received an MD.  He did manage to convince the Royal Society to listen to his paper, so he likely had some sort of academic standing.
He didn't have any academic standing, however his town hall barking attracted quite a bit of publicity, which is why he came to the attention of the Royal Society.

There is another thread somewhere on this website concerning the paper that Rowbotham submitted to the Royal Society indicating that they didn't think much of it and ridiculed it.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !