South Africa

• 328 Replies

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
Re: South Africa
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
You have Presidents from Nelson Mandela to now singing as if its an anthem for the killing of running 'boer' with a machine gun. Now here is an interesting thing. Boer is a derogatory term for white South African in the same way a nigger is derogatory.
Honestly these things are not really surprising for a country that got out of apartheid a couple of decades back. What really sucks is that it seems like they've got their own populist leaders who are taking advantage of and fueling the rage against the Boers, which is making things worse. So yeah, SA is a pretty racist country right now. Hopefully things will get better over time.
When was it not a racist country?
Technically, before there were white people/different races in africa it would have been hard for them to be racist.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
You have Presidents from Nelson Mandela to now singing as if its an anthem for the killing of running 'boer' with a machine gun. Now here is an interesting thing. Boer is a derogatory term for white South African in the same way a nigger is derogatory.
Honestly these things are not really surprising for a country that got out of apartheid a couple of decades back. What really sucks is that it seems like they've got their own populist leaders who are taking advantage of and fueling the rage against the Boers, which is making things worse. So yeah, SA is a pretty racist country right now. Hopefully things will get better over time.
Technically, before there were white people/different races in africa it would have been hard for them to be racist.

Tell that to the Tutsi and Hutu people.  Or the Nazis and the Slavs. 

Racism will find a way.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2018, 11:31:55 AM »

Tell that to the Nazis
I don't think this comparison works with nazis lol.

Member of the BOTD

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »

Tell that to the Nazis

Really?  One group of white people feels they should exterminate a different group of white people who are barely distinguishable?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »

Tell that to the Nazis

Really?  One group of white people feels they should exterminate a different group of white people who are barely distinguishable?
I'm not sure, but if antisemitism was the same as racism, why would they have invented the word antisemitism in the first place? But yeah, with jews it's a bit a special case, so I'm quite sure you won't find that in africa.

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

Tell that to the Nazis

I'm not sure, but if antisemitism was the same as racism, why would they have invented the word antisemitism in the first place? But yeah, with jews it's a bit a special case, so I'm quite sure you won't find that in africa.
They also hated the Slavs on a racial basis

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »

Tell that to the Nazis

I don't think slav is a race. The nazis basically hated everyone that wasn't a german plus some germans, too.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
I didn't say it ever wasn't in recent history, just that it still is.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »

I don't think slav is a race.
The nazis very much thought they were, so this is what counts.   Hitler considered the slavic people to be Untermenschen incapable of ruling themselves and controlled by the jews.  The plan was to directly kill or starve or sterilize  the majority of the "slavic race" and turn the rest into slaves.  Eventually, like the Jews, they would be wiped from the earth, to ensure that their tainted blood wouldn't infect the "master race" . See the Generalplan Ost.

The nazis basically hated everyone that wasn't a german plus some germans, too.
They hated plenty of Germans, but actually respected plenty of other countries - if they were of the "correct" race.  Most of Northern Europe for example.  I don't think you really grasp how much this was about race to Hitler.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
The nazis very much thought they were, so this is what counts.
Yeah I disagree, I don't think what nazis think matters in any case.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
Apparently Greeks were sort of Hitler approved, because the nazis thought we had something to do with the ancient ones (joke's on him, we don't).
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Apparently Greeks were sort of Hitler approved, because the nazis thought we had something to do with the ancient ones (joke's on him, we don't).
Yeah, modern greeks are a joke (not a funny one though).

Member of the BOTD

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »

You would be wrong then.  The Western Front was a war.  The Eastern Front was genocide.

But the point I was trying to make is that we're a species prone to tribalism.  Racism is just one manifestation of that.  We'll always find a way to identify "us" and "them".

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
If racism is discrimination based on perceived racial identities, and nazis discriminated against slavics and jews because they believed those people belonged to an inferior race, then how were nazis not racists?
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

Tell that to the Nazis

I don't think slav is a race. The nazis basically hated everyone that wasn't a german plus some germans, too.
The nazis certainly considered it a race.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »
If racism is discrimination based on perceived racial identities, and nazis discriminated against slavics and jews because they believed those people belonged to an inferior race, then how were nazis not racists?
If I think your mom is her own race and also I think she's ugly as hell, am I a racist? Or just a stupid retard?

Member of the BOTD

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2018, 02:24:25 PM »
Anway, since apparently everyone missed it, I guess my point here wasn't quite as obvious as I thought it to be:
Quote from: User324

Point was, africans back in the days didn't know any other race so they couldn't be racist. (Disliking a nearby tribe cannot really be considered as racist, since it's not two races.)

And the nazi comparison doesn't work because the nazis knew and hated other races which makes it a completely different matter.

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Anway, since apparently everyone missed it, I guess my point here wasn't quite as obvious as I thought it to be:

Point was, africans back in the days didn't know any other race so they couldn't be racist. (Disliking a nearby tribe cannot really be considered as racist, since it's not two races.)

And the nazi comparison doesn't work because the nazis knew and hated other races which makes it a completely different matter.
Africans didn't know other races so they can't be racists.  Nazis did know them and hated them so they can't be racists?
Sorry I'm really not following you.
I think scientists say there is no real scientific basis for race at all so I guess you could say technically there is no such thing as racism.
But hating, hurting, killing, and descriminating against people buy category is certainly a thing.
I think it's more important what the people involved think, in terms of race.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »

Africans didn't know other races so they can't be racists.  Nazis did know them and hated them so they can't be racists?
I think scientists say there is no real scientific basis for race at all so I guess you could say technically there is no such thing as racism.
But hating, hurting, killing, and descriminating against people buy category is certainly a thing.

I think for most people, when talking about race, they are using the term as if it is synonymous with ethnicity

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »

I think for most people, when talking about race, they are using the term as if it is synonymous with ethnicity
I agree.  I thinks that's exactly what it is.

« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
I didn't say it ever wasn't in recent history, just that it still is.
When you said it's a pretty racist country right now, I took that to mean as opposed to some other time.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »

That's the way racism works,  it's more akin to perception of difference than purely racial genetics.   The same attitudes of discrimination can be applied across the whole spectrum.  We are programmed genetically to preferentially favor people who are most like us,  we are programmed protect our closest genetic relatives. 

Tribalism.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »

That's the way racism works,  it's more akin to perception of difference than purely racial genetics.   The same attitudes of discrimination can be applied across the whole spectrum.  We are programmed genetically to preferentially favor people who are most like us,  we are programmed protect our closest genetic relatives. 

Tribalism.
That makes sense.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
We are programmed genetically to preferentially favor people who are most like us,  we are programmed protect our closest genetic relatives. 

We attach to and identify with the people who raise us. Looks don't matter. Genetics matter even less.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
We are programmed genetically to preferentially favor people who are most like us,  we are programmed protect our closest genetic relatives. 

We attach to and identify with the people who raise us. Looks don't matter. Genetics matter even less.

Actually looks do matter when it comes to tribalism,  Often it's looks that become a point of difference,  even down to style of clothes and what color your shoelaces are. 

I'm aware that I'm expanding the discussion beyond the original black vs white question,  but I think it runs deeper than just color difference,  it applies more or less to the discrimination based on perception of kinds of differences.  But to varying degrees.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2018, 06:04:12 PM »
if antisemitism was the same as racism, why would they have invented the word antisemitism in the first place?

Oho.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »

That's true, can't argue against that. That's why we're seeing such discrimination in South Africa currently.
I'm anti-judaism.

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »

Actually looks do matter when it comes to tribalism,  Often it's looks that become a point of difference,  even down to style of clothes and what color your shoelaces are. 

I'm aware that I'm expanding the discussion beyond the original black vs white question,  but I think it runs deeper than just color difference,  it applies more or less to the discrimination based on perception of kinds of differences.  But to varying degrees.
I read about a study, many years ago, about the idea that "they" all look the same to me.  Turns out, it's true.  Whatever race/ethnicity, you are raised with you can see all the subtle differences in faces etc.  but other races are not as easy to see the differences in.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »

I read about a study, many years ago, about the idea that "they" all look the same to me.  Turns out, it's true.  Whatever race/ethnicity, you are raised with you can see all the subtle differences in faces etc.  but other races are not as easy to see the differences in.

I'm getting to the point where I can't tell teenagers apart. I might be racist against teenagers.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Whatever race/ethnicity, you are raised with you can see all the subtle differences in faces etc.  but other races are not as easy to see the differences in.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/04/the-underlying-bias-of-facial-recognition-systems/476991/

It's actually more about how our cameras work on reflected light.
I'm anti-judaism.