Language is stupid.

• 50 Replies

Guessed

Language is stupid.
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
The fact that we as humans are not always able to fully express thoughts means that language is limited. The fact that it is limited makes it unintelligent. If language is unintelligent, then it is as the title implies, stupid. Discuss.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Language is stupid.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »
What would you propose as an alternative?

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:43 AM »
Oh no it's like Narc 2.0.

Guessed

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »
What would you propose as an alternative?

I'm not saying language is useless, just stupid.I weigh more on the side of revision than destruction altogether.
Is Dino open source?

Guessed

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:56 AM »
Oh no it's like Narc 2.0.

Oh no, someone is attempting to start an original thread rather than some rehashed one on morality or god, they must be mimicking someone!
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
So it's meant to be a totally serious thread?

Guessed

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
So it's meant to be a totally serious thread?

It really is, please treat it as such.
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
Well you need to elaborate on the massive leap from limited to unintelligent.

Guessed

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
Well you need to elaborate on the massive leap from limited to unintelligent.

Fair enough, my word choice was perhaps a little misleading. It's limited and thus is not fully functional, which in my opinion makes it unintelligent. If language were intelligent it would not be so extremely limited. The definition of intelligence in this case only applies within the context I've laid out, for lack of a better word. Apologies if I am being unclear in my arguments, it's been a while since I've made serious posts.
Is Dino open source?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
1984 provided an ingenious solution to this problem.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »
I don't really have anything to say except that I don't think limited equates to unintelligent. I don't see any connection between the two words; it's like saying apple equates to chair.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »

Roundy is plusgoodthinker duckspeaker. Newspeak for the doubleplusunlose

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

Fullwise doubleplusgood!  ;D
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »

Fullwise doubleplusgood!  ;D

I thinkwise bellyfeel!

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
OP, perhaps you should learn esperanto. It's supposed to be more logical and easy to use than most romance/germanic languages.

In all honesty, I have often wondered about the revision of language, and what "perfect language" (if such a thing is even possible) might be.

At one point, I came to the conclusion that the perfect language (if the purpose of language is to express reality) would be entirely verbless, since as a philosophical determinist, I am, metaphysically speaking, convinced that "action" is illusory since it implies human agency. In purely philosophical terms, an action is indistinguishable from there being a new state of nouns. (Yes, I know I have to use the verb "to be" to even convey that concept, but in this particular Sprachspiel it would be implicit and would not require explicit use).

With basic operators like conditionals and some rudimentary tenses, you could express anything in the most "real" way possible.

Anyway, if you're after a fun natural language that is fairly logical (face it, Esperanto sucks because nobody speaks it), you should go for Turkish. I'm currently learning it and having great fun. It's completely phonetic, there are hardly any irregular verbs (and all infinitives end in a verb-denoting suffix), there's no noun genders (there aren't even gender pronouns such as he, she and it). It's the most reasoned and sensible natural language I've tried to learn.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:33:33 PM by Dogplatter »
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »
Intelligence is limited.

Therefore, intelligence is stupid.

/philosophy

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »

Anyway, if you're after a fun natural language that is fairly logical (face it, Esperanto sucks because nobody speaks it), you should go for Turkish. I'm currently learning it and having great fun. It's completely phonetic, there are hardly any irregular verbs (and all infinitives end in a verb-denoting suffix), there's no noun genders (there aren't even gender pronouns such as he, she and it). It's the most reasoned and sensible natural language I've tried to learn.

Hmm sounds kinda familiar to the good points about Finnish then, very versatile language. Probably the best one for swearing in as well :)
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »
Math is a language and theoretically can fully express thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:51:05 PM by Username »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 11:48:40 PM »
The fact that we as humans are not always able to fully express thoughts means that language is limited. The fact that it is limited makes it unintelligent. If language is unintelligent, then it is as the title implies, stupid. Discuss.

Language isn't limited. You're just too lazy to write the necessary amount of text to convey a thought.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:56:16 PM by Tom Bishop »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 11:51:31 PM »

Language isn't limited. You're just too lazy to write the necessary amount of text to convey a thought.
Exactly.

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »
Upon giving it further thought I've concluded that language is unlimited and the human brain is in fact limited instead, making humans unintelligent hence stupid.

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:39 AM »

Enjoy your turnip.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 03:55:23 AM »
I think calling language limited therefore stupid, is like saying a wrench that doesn't unscrew a bolt for you is stupid.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:14:21 AM »
I think calling language limited therefore stupid, is like saying a wrench that doesn't unscrew a bolt for you is stupid.

no, it's lazy. fucking sponger

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »

no, it's lazy. fucking sponger

semantics
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:21 AM »
What about a wench that doesn't unscrew a bolt for you? Now that is lazy.

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
Stop talking.

Guessed

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
Upon giving it further thought I've concluded that language is unlimited and the human brain is in fact limited instead, making humans unintelligent hence stupid.

Fair enough, as I said, my original post is perhaps a little misleading in the way that it's written. But, given that language is a human construct and you've just established humans are stupid, how could they create a language any better than themselves? I suppose I've just answered my own thread...   
Is Dino open source?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

Fair enough, as I said, my original post is perhaps a little misleading in the way that it's written. But, given that language is a human construct and you've just established humans are stupid, how could they create a language any better than themselves? I suppose I've just answered my own thread...   

indeed... :D
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »

Why couldn't they?