Amateur Radio

• 101 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Amateur Radio
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »

This is an enlargement of the object in question:

It was an alleged UFO sighting during a 4 July 2013 parade in Kaysville, Utah, USA.  I couldn't find any references as to what the object was ultimately determined to be.

My guess is a partially deflated and silvered weather balloon.  Similar to this one:

Such high-flying balloons are visible in daylight due to their reflective surfaces.
In sunlight they will look silvery. Against a cloudy background they may look
grey or dark. Naturally they drift with the wind (although wind direction at height
may not be the same as on the ground). Usually they are clearly identifiable by
their small round shape, but if seen closer to the ground they may be triangular
or conical
. Their motions tend to be exceedingly slow.  Problems can arise when
a balloon becomes caught in a thermal updraft. It may seem to change direction
suddenly and dramatically.

Can I ask you to clarify this claim Vauxhall?  "However with my insider knowledge I can safely and accurately identify it as a GPS balloon".  What exactly do you mean by "insider" knowledge?  Are you claiming to be privy to knowledge that the public don't have access to?  Or do you work in some occupation connected with aerospace and/or meteorological applications?

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
Did you want to discuss the video that looked like a vibrating bug flying around, or the one that looks like a sperm cell swimming through the sky?  ::)

Well. First one, then t'other, as you asked.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">STS-135 (Atlantis) and ISS in broad daylight - 7/17/11
"The final mission of the space shuttle, captured 1.25 hours after sunrise. Tracked with an 8" LX200 Classic Schmidt-Cassegrain @ f/10 using Brent Boshart's Satellite Tracker software. Recorded with a modified Samsung SDC-435. 1/500 sec exposure, AGC off. This is the raw video with no edits other than trimming."

So this guy pointed a long lens camera very precisely at where his location, orbital mechanics and the orbit of the ISS told him to, and he recorded a video of it (with the shuttle docked, too). Or, do you think there was a space-station-and-shuttle shaped-and-sized bug on the same orbital track? Everyone would observe this bug using the same data, so simple trig tells us it must be where it claims to be.

Yeah. Probably a bug.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Weather Balloon Or Just A Balloon UK 19 February 2013
A balloon.
Not a satellite, not small enough to hide, not going to stay up forever. Just a balloon. Balloon =/= satellite. Simple :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:03:00 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »

This is an enlargement of the object in question:

It was an alleged UFO sighting during a 4 July 2013 parade in Kaysville, Utah, USA.  I couldn't find any references as to what the object was ultimately determined to be.

My guess is a partially deflated and silvered weather balloon.  Similar to this one:

Such high-flying balloons are visible in daylight due to their reflective surfaces.
In sunlight they will look silvery. Against a cloudy background they may look
grey or dark. Naturally they drift with the wind (although wind direction at height
may not be the same as on the ground). Usually they are clearly identifiable by
their small round shape, but if seen closer to the ground they may be triangular
or conical
. Their motions tend to be exceedingly slow.  Problems can arise when
a balloon becomes caught in a thermal updraft. It may seem to change direction
suddenly and dramatically.

Can I ask you to clarify this claim Vauxhall?  "However with my insider knowledge I can safely and accurately identify it as a GPS balloon".  What exactly do you mean by "insider" knowledge?  Are you claiming to be privy to knowledge that the public don't have access to?  Or do you work in some occupation connected with aerospace and/or meteorological applications?

The "object" does look a little like a bird in the enlargement ? But once again is a little off-topic when you go back to the OP ?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:11:17 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
The first video looks like it could be anything.  It resembles a box kite to me.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
The first video looks like it could be anything.  It resembles a box kite to me.

If you read the video description you'll see the uploader kindly specified all the equipment used so anyone can replicate the results. Then you can see for yourself whether a box kite can cross from one side of the sky in a matter of minutes.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »
Are you wanting for me to take a picture of a box kite?

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »

Here is an article with a description and picture of the real "OSCAR":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSCAR

If you want to call it a fake, tell that to the American Radio Relay League and all the hams involved.Or....Are they just some more members of the "conspiracy" ?

I guess we hams probably are part of the conspiracy. But doesn't being part of the conspiracy mean that we're the ones who know the real truth?  ???

Anyway, I'm going to be flying to a different time zone soon, so I'll be going QRT here. I'll keep an eye out the plane window for GPS balloons just in case. ::)

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Are you wanting for me to take a picture of a box kite?

Take a picture or video of whatever it is that streaks across the sky every 90 minutes or so, on the path supposedly take by the ISS, then you decide whether you want to continue referring to it as a box kite or not.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
I'll give you a hint, ausGeoff.  One of those pictures is not real.  Let me know if you need help figuring out which one is the fake.

Ahhh. Another patented jroa straw man arguing over irrelevant minutia. You stay classy.

How about does this...

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">STS-135 (Atlantis) and ISS in broad daylight - 7/17/11

look anything like this?

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Weather Balloon Or Just A Balloon UK 19 February 2013

Are you also claiming that the picture in question is a "real satellite"?

If you want to call it a fake, tell that to the American Radio Relay League and all the hams involved.Or....Are they just some more members of the "conspiracy" ?

Why are you moving the goal posts?  We were discussing the picture that ausGeoff posted.  I assume that he and others are trying to claim that this picture of a satellite is real.  What about you, Googleotomy?

You know that it wasn't presented as an actual image of a satellite in space... it was posted to show the difference between the shape of a satellite and a weather balloon.

I posted actual pictures of a real satellite and a real weather balloon which you, of course, ignored to argue the "irrelevant minutia" of your straw man.

This is because you're a petty functionary on a whacko web site who gets his rocks off trying to divert reasonably intelligent people from actual "debate" about the ridiculous belief that the earth is flat to an endless argument about unrelated issues.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
I'll give you a hint, ausGeoff.  One of those pictures is not real.  Let me know if you need help figuring out which one is the fake.

Ahhh. Another patented jroa straw man arguing over irrelevant minutia. You stay classy.

How about does this...

look anything like this?

Are you also claiming that the picture in question is a "real satellite"?

Why are you moving the goal posts?  We were discussing the picture that ausGeoff posted.  I assume that he and others are trying to claim that this picture of a satellite is real.  What about you, Googleotomy?

You know that it wasn't presented as an actual image of a satellite in space... it was posted to show the difference between the shape of a satellite and a weather balloon.

I posted actual pictures of a real satellite and a real weather balloon which you, of course, ignored to argue the "irrelevant minutia" of your straw man.

This is because you're a petty functionary on a whacko web site who gets his rocks off trying to divert reasonably intelligent people from actual "debate" about the ridiculous belief that the earth is flat to an endless argument about unrelated issues.

That is because or why  most threads on this website posted by RE's about known facts, evidence, etc. get derailed by FE's often with endless posts of diversion about unrelated issues .
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Another picture I found that suspiciously looks exactly like the GPS balloons I have encountered during my work.

Read the FAQS.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
Another picture I found that suspiciously looks exactly like the GPS balloons I have encountered during my work.

How do GPS balloons get into a kitchen at McDonald's?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
We certainly saw planes, as there is an airport nearby, but the signal came from a visually empty part of the sky. To get the signal to move as quickly as it did (about ten minutes from horizon to horizon) a plane would have to be extremely fast or low.
It could have easily been an airplane.  Haven't you seen those chemtrail/contrail (whichever you believe) videos where the trail is visible but the plane is invisible?  The clouds could have blocked it too.

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
I also agree that Whiskey's ISS video does not prove it's authentic.  It could have been created on a computer.  There's no zooming in, no birds or planes, nothing.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
I also agree that Whiskey's ISS video does not prove it's authentic.  It could have been created on a computer.  There's no zooming in, no birds or planes, nothing.
Because it would be impossible to add birds to a fake video?

This is something that I think will never be resolved. You can reach any conclusion you like from behind your computer. Anything you don't like is fake, anything you do like is proof. Easy.

But at some point you either have to get the equipment that this (apparently) ordinary internet user used -the way many others have- and see if you spot a space station or not, or you have to accept that he already did so. Just saying "fake" isn't going to lead you anywhere you aren't already at. Which, I'm well aware is the reason for doing it, but can we stop pretending that mere skepticism alone is some kind of means to progress? Especially when it's only aimed at things you already don't like  ::)

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Another picture I found that suspiciously looks exactly like the GPS balloons I have encountered during my work. half melted Thomas the Tank Engines I threw up in the air and photographed.

I'm pretty sure this was what you were trying to say.

ausGeoff

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »

Your hoax image is simply another computer-generated version of this image:

Could you also please clarify the significance of this statement;  "I have encountered during my work".

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:23:02 AM by ausGeoff »

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2014, 06:37:40 AM »

This is something that I think will never be resolved. You can reach any conclusion you like from behind your computer. Anything you don't like is fake, anything you do like is proof. Easy.

But at some point you either have to get the equipment that this (apparently) ordinary internet user used -the way many others have- and see if you spot a space station or not, or you have to accept that he already did so. Just saying "fake" isn't going to lead you anywhere you aren't already at. Which, I'm well aware is the reason for doing it, but can we stop pretending that mere skepticism alone is some kind of means to progress? Especially when it's only aimed at things you already don't like  ::)
Can you give a logical reason why any of us would claim the ISS or NASA photos are fake?  Seriously dude, there is nothing for us to gain in doing so.  It is what it is and if you disagree, then move on.  SMH

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2014, 06:46:48 AM »
That's besides the point though. Of course satellites don't look like balloons, why would they? The popular depiction of a satellite was made by the shadow government. Why would they purposely make their made up round Earth propaganda satellites look like weather balloons? That would expose their entire operation, and make them look quite ridiculous.

Either way, the balloons used to transmit "satellite" transmissions are much smaller than the one you've inserted into your post. They are very small and they are very hard to see without the use of a telescope. Even if you do happen to see one, they are coated in mirrors so that they reflect light and the environment around them making them almost impossible to spot unless you're looking for a very specific glare.
They shroud their true intentions by calling them other names:  http://www.metballoons.com/products.php

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2014, 07:10:48 AM »
Sure, what could be a better description of this:
than:
Quote from: vaux
not visible by the naked eye, as they float very high in the atmosphere.
balloons ... much smaller than the one you've inserted into your post. They are very small and they are very hard to see without the use of a telescope. Even if you do happen to see one, they are coated in mirrors so that they reflect light and the environment around them making them almost impossible to spot unless you're looking for a very specific glare.
In a sense, we are in uncharted territory however. That image wasn't on the first page of google results for "UFO", so Vaux is clearly stepping up his game.

It was from a Hungarian science fiction site, though, so it's not stepped up that far. The extremely dark shadow suggests the steam train toy (or UFO!) is pretty close to the ground, rather than being photographed at high altitude through a telescope, as does the contrast and lack of haze.

The metadata for the camera or scanner is missing, possibly it's a very old or uncommon bit of kit.
Possibly it's been stripped out, which I doubt, as this doesn't seem like a serious effort at creating a convincing hoax.
Possibly the picture has been copied and recopied so many times and so many ways that one or more of those reproductions didn't retain that data - somewhat likely, as it has been recompressed at least once since it was taken and it's had some crude level balancing or artificial sharpening applied to it. However, google's only seen it once in one place, so it can't have done the rounds too much.

Where did you find that, Vaux, and what did they claim it was? Any suggestion where it was taken or other details?

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:52 AM »

Can you give a logical reason why any of us would claim the ISS or NASA photos are fake?  Seriously dude, there is nothing for us to gain in doing so.  It is what it is and if you disagree, then move on.  SMH

NASA has to be fake to wingnuts such as yourself. Otherwise you entire belief system is destroyed with a single photo.

ausGeoff

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 07:41:57 AM »
Can you give a logical reason why any of us would claim the ISS or NASA photos are fake?  Seriously dude, there is nothing for us to gain in doing so.

Obvious answer?  Because if you accept the photos as authentic, then it blows your entire flat earth hypothesis out of the water.

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
I had a poster of that very image years ago.  I was naive and never questioned it because I was conditioned from grade school to believe what I was taught.  I know better now.  If you cannot tell that is a fake image, you are gullible.

ausGeoff

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »
I had a poster of that very image years ago.  I was naive and never questioned it because I was conditioned from grade school to believe what I was taught.  I know better now.  If you cannot tell that is a fake image, you are gullible.

Can you tell us in specific terms exactly how you know the above image is "fake"?  I can't see any anomalies (other than normal image mosaicing, anti-aliasing, contrast corrections, or colour shifts) to indicate that it's not authentic.

What other properties of the image do you reckon prove it's fake?

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:42 AM »
How did you determine that it was fake? A lot of people have a lot of expertise in that area and nobody has seriously made a case that it was fake in 40 years.

Do you have a background in forensics? Image analysis? Visual effects? Matte painting? Photography, even?

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »

No, it's not fake. It HAS to be fake so that your fantasy doesn't crumble. It makes me wonder why you asked your initial question. Even you have to be aware of the answer, unless you're mentally unstable.

So why do you feel that the earth HAS to be flat? Are you afraid a round earth would make God a liar?

Vauxhall

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
The original picture was believed to be a UFO of some sort. I'm not stepping up my game at all, because I clearly implied that I found the picture online. Why do you think I go on the internet and make things up? Who would do that?

Either way, it is a GPS balloon. Defective obviously, since the mirrors are obviously not working properly.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
The original picture was believed to be a UFO of some sort. I'm not stepping up my game at all, because I clearly implied that I found the picture online. Why do you think I go on the internet and make things up? Who would do that?

Either way, it is a GPS balloon. Defective obviously, since the mirrors are obviously not working properly.
Wrong, try again.  GPS transmitters orbit the earth.

Vauxhall

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »

Sure they do, despite the boatload of evidence presented in this thread that proves that they could very well be in the sky and function exactly the same. Keep believing your spoon fed RE drivel if you'd like, but do me a favor and stop posting if you're not going to bring anything to the table.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »

Sure they do, despite the boatload of evidence presented in this thread that proves that they could very well be in the sky and function exactly the same. Keep believing your spoon fed RE drivel if you'd like, but do me a favor and stop posting if you're not going to bring anything to the table.
What evidence, please summarise it all together. 

GPS receivers show ID and direction of US and Russian transmitters being received at any one time. 

Please link to manufacturers of GPS balloons.