The demise of Tucker Carlson and Fox

• 233 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
The demise of Tucker Carlson and Fox
« on: February 19, 2023, 12:58:24 AM »
Not really,  I suspect they will weasel their way out somehow.  But, how dumb do you have to be to keep watching people like Tucker....

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/fox-news-deceiving-viewers-text-messages-prove-rcna71214

I hope dominion takes them down, but not optimistic.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Re: The demise of Tucker Carlson and Fox
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 01:15:14 AM »
Not really,  I suspect they will weasel their way out somehow.  But, how dumb do you have to be to keep watching people like Tucker....

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/fox-news-deceiving-viewers-text-messages-prove-rcna71214

Wasn't Fox cutting off Trump's speech on election night when he went on some rambling bullshit about fraud and that he won (when he clearly lost). They seemed to have decent standards and integrity at that moment. WTF happened?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 01:24:33 AM »
Well professional wrestling was exposed as being fake and that's still going on.. M
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 01:39:57 AM »

Wasn't Fox cutting off Trump's speech on election night when he went on some rambling bullshit about fraud and that he won (when he clearly lost). They seemed to have decent standards and integrity at that moment. WTF happened?

Ratings.
I don't know what was mentioned in Dave's article, but what I read the other day was that, as we all know, Trump was super pissed at Fox for being the first one to call Arizona and state Biden as victor. Trump went on to bash Fox and tell all of his followers to go to NewsMax. Fox immediately saw their numbers dropping. So Ailes got all panicky about it and went on to tell Hannity, Tuck, and Ingrahm to keep having Rudi, the Craken, et al, on their shows to win viewers back even though everyone knew the "steal" was a joke. Basically pandering to what Fox viewers were salivating about.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 02:51:18 AM »

Yeaaaah, the same Dominion that cheated on our last election?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/online-vulnerable-experts-find-nearly-three-dozen-u-s-voting-n1112436
It was an assurance designed to bolster public confidence in the way America votes: Voting machines “are not connected to the internet.”

Then Acting Undersecretary for Cybersecurity and Communications at the Department of Homeland Security Jeanette Manfra said those words in 2017, testifying before Congress while she was responsible for the security of the nation’s voting system.

So many government officials like Manfra have said the same thing over the last few years that it is commonly accepted as gospel by most Americans. Behind it is the notion that if voting systems are not online, hackers will have a harder time compromising them.

But that is an overstatement, according to a team of 10 independent cybersecurity experts who specialize in voting systems and elections. While the voting machines themselves are not designed to be online, the larger voting systems in many states end up there, putting the voting process at risk.

That team of election security experts say that last summer, they discovered some systems are, in fact, online.

“We found over 35 voting systems had been left online and we’re still continuing to find more,” Kevin Skoglund, a senior technical advisor at the election security advocacy group National Election Defense Coalition, told NBC News.

Maybe they do lawsuits against Fox for defamation. Maybe they even win. Winning a lawsuit doesn't mean the truth. It means you won a lawsuit.

Quote from: Themightykabool
crazy people don't know they're crazy.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 10:16:52 AM »
I think it's time to check in with Rudy, Sydney, and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell to see what their election fraud results are in 2023...

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »
Oh yeah, here's Lindell on Kimmel recently...

Clown show 101.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:41 PM »
I always wondered about headless timetravellers.....

https://www.businessinsider.com/sidney-powell-voter-fraud-claims-headless-time-travel-dominion-fox-2023-2

Sidney Powell's evidence for fraud was a little on the weird side of bat-shit crazy.  I remember years ago Maria Bartiromo being a somewhat levelheaded finance reporter.

Not anymore.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 12:51:24 AM »
I always wondered about headless timetravellers.....

https://www.businessinsider.com/sidney-powell-voter-fraud-claims-headless-time-travel-dominion-fox-2023-2

Sidney Powell's evidence for fraud was a little on the weird side of bat-shit crazy.  I remember years ago Maria Bartiromo being a somewhat levelheaded finance reporter.

Not anymore.

And thats not even the most damning evidence.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 01:02:46 AM »
The Atlantic has a pretty good article on this.

Why Fox News Lied to Its Viewers

Sometimes, defending itself in court, the network will argue that a reasonable person would not assume that everything its on-air personalities say are true. In 2020, the network successfully beat a defamation lawsuit by arguing that Tucker Carlson is “not ‘stating actual facts’ about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in ‘exaggeration’ and ‘non-literal commentary.’”

“It’s remarkable how weak ratings make good journalists do bad things,” the Fox News executive Bill Sammon wrote to a colleague about the network’s coverage of the “fraud” conspiracy.

Internally, Carlson referred to Sidney Powell, the attorney who was spreading the false fraud allegations, as a “complete nut,” while the Fox News host Sean Hannity said in a deposition that the “whole narrative that Sidney was pushing, I did not believe it for one second.” But Carlson and Hannity also demanded that the Fox reporter Jacqui Heinrich be fired after she fact-checked one of Trump’s tweets spreading the false election-fraud claims about Dominion, with one Fox executive fretting that viewers would be “disgusted.” The offending tweet was deleted. In another email, a different Fox executive feared that what he called “conspiratorial reporting” at Newsmax “might be exactly what the disgruntled FNC viewer is looking for,” later warning, “Do not ever give viewers a reason to turn us off. Every topic and guest must perform.”

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 03:38:12 AM »

Sometimes, defending itself in court, the network will argue that a reasonable person would not assume that everything its on-air personalities say are true. In 2020, the network successfully beat a defamation lawsuit by arguing that Tucker Carlson is “not ‘stating actual facts’ about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in ‘exaggeration’ and ‘non-literal commentary.’”

“It’s remarkable how weak ratings make good journalists do bad things,” the Fox News executive Bill Sammon wrote to a colleague about the network’s coverage of the “fraud” conspiracy.

Internally, Carlson referred to Sidney Powell, the attorney who was spreading the false fraud allegations, as a “complete nut,” while the Fox News host Sean Hannity said in a deposition that the “whole narrative that Sidney was pushing, I did not believe it for one second.” But Carlson and Hannity also demanded that the Fox reporter Jacqui Heinrich be fired after she fact-checked one of Trump’s tweets spreading the false election-fraud claims about Dominion, with one Fox executive fretting that viewers would be “disgusted.” The offending tweet was deleted. In another email, a different Fox executive feared that what he called “conspiratorial reporting” at Newsmax “might be exactly what the disgruntled FNC viewer is looking for,” later warning, “Do not ever give viewers a reason to turn us off. Every topic and guest must perform.”

Its like everything conspiracy theorists tell us, but about their favorite platform.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 06:54:22 AM »

Not commentary, but poetry.

You wouldn't sue Lewis Carol for grinning up hysteria over some mythical jabberwock.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
https://www.axios.com/2023/02/20/kevin-mccarthy-tucker-carlson-jan-6-riot-footage

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has given Fox News' Tucker Carlson exclusive access to 41,000 hours of Capitol surveillance footage from the Jan. 6 riot, McCarthy sources tell me.

Carlson TV producers were on Capitol Hill last week to begin digging through the trove, which includes multiple camera angles from all over Capitol grounds. Excerpts will begin airing in the coming weeks.

Tucker Carlson and Fox aren't going to die any time soon, IMO.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 02:39:58 PM »
https://www.axios.com/2023/02/20/kevin-mccarthy-tucker-carlson-jan-6-riot-footage

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has given Fox News' Tucker Carlson exclusive access to 41,000 hours of Capitol surveillance footage from the Jan. 6 riot, McCarthy sources tell me.

Carlson TV producers were on Capitol Hill last week to begin digging through the trove, which includes multiple camera angles from all over Capitol grounds. Excerpts will begin airing in the coming weeks.

Tucker Carlson and Fox aren't going to die any time soon, IMO.

I'm sure FOX will provide a fair and balanced report on it

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 03:18:46 PM »
In a way this isn't that big of a problem.  The audience of Fox News wants to be lied to.  Tucker Carlson is more than willing to provide that service for money.  They just need to go all in on this.  Abandon the "news" side of their organization and rebrand themselves as a conservative feel good make believe entertainment venue.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 03:24:28 PM »
I think the thing that sticks out to me is Tucker Carlson trying to get a reporter fired for telling the truth.  Say what you will about the opinion side of Fox News, the reporting side was usually trustworthy in that they didn't just lie about stuff.

But if the opinion side has enough power to get the reporting side fired for reporting they don't like then their reporting side may no longer be trustworthy.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 03:54:11 PM »
In a way this isn't that big of a problem.  The audience of Fox News wants to be lied to.  Tucker Carlson is more than willing to provide that service for money.  They just need to go all in on this.  Abandon the "news" side of their organization and rebrand themselves as a conservative feel good make believe entertainment venue.

They want to be lied to but then you have muppets like D1 who think Carlson is a Demi God who says no wrong. Millions of Americans are probably the same. They lack the critical thinking required to question the talking head.

Looking at D1's earlier posts (years ago when he seemed much more normal) he would have been one of the last people I would think would get sucked in to that talking head bullshit. How the actual F do these shows turn them?

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 04:37:03 PM »
I'm actually kind of curious what D1 thinks of all this.  I'm guessing he would hand waive it away as some kind of conspiracy.

I do wonder how anyone is ever going to be interviewed by anyone on Fox News without being challenged on what they really believe about what they're discussing.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »
I wonder what's going to happen when people finally realize that all the corporate owned media is full of liars. So many seem to think it's just Fox! They all lie or tell half truths or ignore important information when it suits them. Audience capture is real.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 05:56:18 PM »
I wonder what's going to happen when people finally realize that all the corporate owned media is full of liars. So many seem to think it's just Fox! They all lie or tell half truths or ignore important information when it suits them. Audience capture is real.

They all do for sure. But it's also a spectrum. As well, the consequences may differ. For instance, MSNBC being all 'woke' about something to pander to its audience has vastly different consequences than pandering to a 'stop the steal' audience.

In addition to influence, reach is a factor as well. Tucker and Hannity are the #1 & #2 mouth pieces in America. The likes of a Cooper or Maddow have far less reach and penetration - Therefore far less groundswell influence.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 05:47:51 AM »
All news outlets have their issues. Most of them don't include actively promoting a conspiracy theory that threatens to destroy our country for the purpose of protecting their stock price.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 06:45:23 AM »
No, but they will all promote bullshit, and then run articles about how Americans don't trust the media. Tucker promotes political bullshit that has created greater partisan divides and belief in nonsense, but he also gets called out by people on the left constantly. If you are on the left and you criticize any of the bullshit coming from left of center msm you are accused of being alt right. Meanwhile, every time I read an article about certain topics in left msm that I know is full of bullshit, I lose more trust in msm overall.

Lorddave

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 12:07:30 PM »
No, but they will all promote bullshit, and then run articles about how Americans don't trust the media. Tucker promotes political bullshit that has created greater partisan divides and belief in nonsense, but he also gets called out by people on the left constantly. If you are on the left and you criticize any of the bullshit coming from left of center msm you are accused of being alt right. Meanwhile, every time I read an article about certain topics in left msm that I know is full of bullshit, I lose more trust in msm overall.

Its not MSM, its profit driven media.

But its also people.
These groups are only giving their audience what they want.  People WANT to have a villian to hate and what better way to have a villian than to make one?  The for profit media keeps people angry by holding up a villian and proclaiming how many evil deeds they did.  All while knowing their audience is angrily watching.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 12:55:22 PM »
Meanwhile, every time I read an article about certain topics in left msm that I know is full of bullshit, I lose more trust in msm overall.

What happens when you read an article about certain topics in right MSM that you know is full of bullshit? Do you kind of assume right MSM is full of shit anyway so no big deal, but have a higher expectation for left MSM and are more disappointed when they do the same?

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »
Fascinating idea that comes up a couple of times, that fact checking and being honest is somehow not respecting their audience.

I find it incredibly patronizing.

Of course it has nothing to do with respecting them, just ratings.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 03:28:50 PM »
What happens? I mean I read all the people gleefully tearing the bullshit apart. Back when Bush was president I realized Fox was over the top partisan, then when Obama became president it was even more blatantly obvious. (before that I didn't pay attention to all this stuff very much)

I absolutely have higher expectations for leftish msm. I don't read or watch right msm very often, and sometimes it's for comparison. Now and then there will be a headline from Fox that I check out, or Fox will cover a topic the left won't touch, or interview someone I know (on the internet).  I don't seek right leaning media when I want to know about something going on in the world. Now, I tend to see what independent journalists have to say, but I don't feel like I can trust them either (mostly, some of them I do). 

This is an archive of a 2016 NYT article. I think a lot of journalists are still stuck in this mindset. https://archive.is/lsCkC

lorddave, MSM is profit driven media. lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:38:04 PM by Space Cowgirl »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 07:25:33 PM »
To be more accurate, you guys are mad that Tucker Carlson has an opinion about something. He is not deliberately lying or speaking things he knows to be abjectly false. You can't handle that someone has an opinion that opposes yours.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 07:26:28 PM »
To be more accurate, you guys are mad that Tucker Carlson has an opinion about something. He is not deliberately lying or speaking things he knows to be abjectly false. You can't handle that someone has an opinion that opposes yours.

LOL

Know your place

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 08:08:03 PM »

He is absolutely deliberately lying for money.  The only thing surprising about the information that's been made public is that he doesn't seem to have any ideology except for more money.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 09:22:23 PM »
If you guys can point out something that is clearly a lie containing abject falsities, and cannot be construed as an opinion, I would be happy to see it. Fox News talk shows do not post fake stories. They give opinions on real stories and events. Tucker Carlson is usually talking about a widely known story or event.

Until you guys can point out the fake stories and complete fabrications I just hear super mad liberals whining that they can't accept that someone has a different opinion than they do.

I accept that Rachel Meadow has a different opinion on her show and I don't spend time bawwwing on the internet about it. You guys can't accept the opposite, hence the bawwwing. Grow up and learn that there are multiple perspectives to any particular event. Tucker Carlson is relatively popular, which means that the perspectives he gives are also likely shared with many others.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 10:04:25 PM by Tom Bishop »