Intellectual Integrity . . .

• 20 Replies

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Intellectual Integrity . . .
« on: October 25, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »
Let's pretend you give a screw about some country's election.
If you offer your opinion regarding that election, are you a criminal?

Is the candidate who most enjoys your words a criminal?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Intellectual Integrity . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:33:17 AM »
I'm going to assume this is about the whole Russian interference issue.

Here's my problem with it.  The Russian government masqueraded as US citizens during this scheme.  This crosses the line from one country injecting it's opinion into something that seems like it's probably illegal.

That being said I think Russia's effect on our elections is just a bit overstated.  We have a heavily gerrymandered presidential election.  A heavily gerrymandered senate.  This Supreme Court has decided that it's not going to do anything to stop gerrymandering in the state level.  Unlimited dark money in politics.  First past the post elections. Voter suppression. 

If I had the choice to change one problem with our elections then a bunch of Russians posting gibberish on Facebook would rank dead last.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:03:37 AM »
This is part of the American politicing issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=98&v=hWLjYJ4BzvI

Also, how do you make a video look like a video here?
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:12:01 AM »
I'm going to assume this is about the whole Russian interference issue.

Here's my problem with it.  The Russian government masqueraded as US citizens during this scheme.  This crosses the line from one country injecting it's opinion into something that seems like it's probably illegal.

That being said I think Russia's effect on our elections is just a bit overstated.  We have a heavily gerrymandered presidential election.  A heavily gerrymandered senate.  This Supreme Court has decided that it's not going to do anything to stop gerrymandering in the state level.  Unlimited dark money in politics.  First past the post elections. Voter suppression. 

If I had the choice to change one problem with our elections then a bunch of Russians posting gibberish on Facebook would rank dead last.

Who complains that they are too stupid to vote? [Florida doesn't count]

If you read the interweb and can not comprehend what is real and what is not,
then you are too retartud to vote. Don't go vote.

Really, there are millions and millions of people who are not too stupid to vote.
If you are confused, stay home and microwave a pizza.

Your participation is not needed. You will not know who won for weeks. Because you are stupid.

This will freak people out . . . . . . .

the President is chosen by the States.
There is no Federal Election.
People will argue against that until they vomit.

It is amazing the level of ignorance people enjoy.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »
I'm not sure where you're going with the first part of that.

The second part, I'm assuming that you're referring to the electoral college.  The electoral college is a total broken mess that should be abandoned for popular elections as soon as possible.  The founding fathers got a lot right.  Some things they got wrong.  The electoral college is one of them.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:16:13 AM »
This is part of the American politicing issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=98&v=hWLjYJ4BzvI

Also, how do you make a video look like a video here?

You linked to a video already playing, so it links to what ever time you were at when you copied the link. You'd need to take out this bit -  time_continue=98&

So the link looks like this
Code: [Select]

OH, wtf, why don't the code tags work? If you quote my post you can see wht the link needs to look like.  >:(

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:18:42 AM by Space Cowgirl »
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 09:08:34 AM »

The second part, I'm assuming that you're referring to the electoral college.  The electoral college is a total broken mess that should be abandoned for popular elections as soon as possible.  The founding fathers got a lot right.  Some things they got wrong.  The electoral college is one of them.

The House is elected by and represents the people.
That is what we get. Like it or not. We get Newt and Nancy
and a dozen idiots because some States have more people.

The Senators are chosen by the States. Two each.
States have decided to allow voters to pick them.
There is no reason to allow a vote for Senators.
Totally up to the States.

They can be chosen by what ever the State Constitution or Chicken Bingo decides.

President is chosen by the States.
Again, nothing to do with a popular vote.
There is no Federal Election.

I learned this in 7th grade. What is your excuse?

I am so damn done with idiots who want to alter reality so they can get their way.

Get the Constitution changed. Good god damn luck.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
I am aware of what the Constitution says regarding the process to elect a president.  The founding fathers weren't gods and the Constitution isn't the Bible.  If we regarded the Constitution as infallible we'd still have slavery and only white land owning males would be allowed to vote.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »

Some guy, whose most difficult challenge to date has been whether to use the right hand or the left in order to wipe his ass, is going to presume the ability to levy a clear, concise, and reasoned opinion on what constitutes good decisions made by the people who formed the greatest country ever to exist on the flat earth plain...

Go back to sleep.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
I am aware of what the Constitution says regarding the process to elect a president.  The founding fathers weren't gods and the Constitution isn't the Bible.  If we regarded the Constitution as infallible we'd still have slavery and only white land owning males would be allowed to vote.
Kindly point to the currently valid sections of the Constitution which allows legal slavery and restricts the right to cast a vote only to white land owning males.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:52:12 AM by totallackey »

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
Honestly, the electoral college could still exist if we had preferential voting instead of first-past-the-post. That would change the attitude of "I like candidate A the most, but if I don't vote for candidate B who I can tolerate, candidate C will win the election which would be awful." This might also fix issues in solidly colored places, such as my county where a republican is always going to win no matter what.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
Kindly point to the sections of the Constitution currently valid which allows legal slavery and restricts the right to cast a vote only to white land owning males.
Doesn't that very statement make crouton's point exactly? If it was infallible, it wouldn't have needed to be changed, and thus slavery and white Male only voting would still exist.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 09:51:46 AM »
Kindly point to the sections of the Constitution currently valid which allows legal slavery and restricts the right to cast a vote only to white land owning males.

Do you believe the 13th,15th,19th and 24th amendments just reiterate what's in the Constitution?

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
Doesn't that very statement make crouton's point exactly? If it was infallible, it wouldn't have needed to be changed, and thus slavery and white Male only voting would still exist.
No. It doesn't.

Crouton knows it is infallible, yet tries to treat it that way by propping up a strawman argument, further evidenced in this post.

Do you believe the 13th,15th,19th and 24th amendments just reiterate what's in the Constitution?
No, they do not.

Things change, but you go off on a tirade about how the electoral college is somehow a mistake.

You are a mob rule supporter and it is people like you who think they know what's best for everyone that really have no clue...

You don't like things, we get it...

Get out and run for office...see how far you get...

You will probably get pretty far...

Don't get me wrong...you and your ilk will win out...into nothing.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »
Crouton knows it is infallible, yet tries to treat it that way by propping up a strawman argument, further evidenced in this post.

I hear Christians speak this way about scripture...

No, they do not.

Things change, but you go off on a tirade about how the electoral college is somehow a mistake.

You are a mob rule supporter and it is people like you who think they know what's best for everyone that really have no clue...

You don't like things, we get it...

Get out and run for office...see how far you get...

You will probably get pretty far...

Don't get me wrong...you and your ilk will win out...into nothing.

What exactly is the problem the electoral college is mean to solve in your opinion?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 03:36:42 PM »
What exactly is the problem the electoral college is mean to solve in your opinion?
Stupid voters.

One thing that you need to understand is that the electoral college of today is not the electoral college that the founding fathers set up.  Originally, the idea was that you vote for an elector in much the same way that you would vote for a delegate in the primaries.  That elector was supposed to vote for your candidate, but was not legally obligated to do so.  If the elector felt that the voters chose the wrong candidate, then they could legally change their vote to the other candidate.  This was intended to be a way to protect us from uninformed/uneducated voters electing an unqualified candidate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/electoral-college-faithless-elector.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:39:25 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 04:54:19 PM »
The Electoral College's largest flaw is that it allows candidates to focus on only a few states and ignore smaller ones. 
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
Stupid voters.

One thing that you need to understand is that the electoral college of today is not the electoral college that the founding fathers set up.  Originally, the idea was that you vote for an elector in much the same way that you would vote for a delegate in the primaries.  That elector was supposed to vote for your candidate, but was not legally obligated to do so.  If the elector felt that the voters chose the wrong candidate, then they could legally change their vote to the other candidate.  This was intended to be a way to protect us from uninformed/uneducated voters electing an unqualified candidate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/us/politics/electoral-college-faithless-elector.html

I'm aware.  The last time a faithless elector has changed the outcome is 1796 it seems. 

To be honest I'm not sure how I would feel about faithless electors defying the will of the people.  In 2016 if faithless electors refused to elect Trump there would be riots in the streets and I wouldn't necessarily blame them.  Conversely if Hillary won and faithless electors gave it to Trump...

Clearly the elections aren't ran as if faithless electors are a factor. 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »
Faithless electors aren't really a factor anymore because, for better or worse, 29 states outlawed faithless voting.  Well, that and the "party before country" attitude that's become more and more prevalent lately.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:04:51 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 06:07:05 AM »
The Electoral College's largest flaw is that it allows candidates to focus on only a few states and ignore smaller ones. 
I think you mean they get to ignore all but about 10 battleground states because the rest have already been long decided.

The biggest problem is that 74k people in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania decided an election where roughly 2 million more people voted for the candidate that lost.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »

One thing that you need to understand is that the electoral college of today is not the electoral college that the founding fathers set up.

Which Amendment is that?