PARALLAX

• 7 Replies
PARALLAX
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
using parralax i can find the distance of a far away object such as a football post from the other side of a field, and the calculated distance from the angle of parralx is relatively accurate. if i found the angle of parralax for the north star, and did the same equations used to find the distance of the football field post, it would be a number far higher than 3100 miles.

agree/deny/refute
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

PARALLAX
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »
Please explain in more detail the procedures you followed to perform this experiment.

PARALLAX
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

PARALLAX
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:11:01 AM »
Doesn't that technique rely heavily on the fact that the earth revolves around the sun? I'd imagine that if you tried to use two points on the Earth (at the same time) as a baseline the parallax shift would be almost undetectable.
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

PARALLAX
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »
Quote from: "Goethe"
Doesn't that technique rely heavily on the fact that the earth revolves around the sun? I'd imagine that if you tried to use two points on the Earth (at the same time) as a baseline the parallax shift would be almost undetectable.

it works with closeup objects, so if you measure a nearby star like Alpha Centauri with good equipment it will work.
[/i]
-Erasmus

PARALLAX
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:45 PM »
Quote from: "Marshy"

it works with closeup objects, so if you measure a nearby star like Alpha Centauri with good equipment it will work.

Why not measure the distance to the moon and sun while your at it? You'd also have to calculate the distance of the baseline by assuming no curvature of the Earth (as in the flat Earth model). Then you could compare your results to the flat earth estimates (moon and sun: 3000 miles above the equator, stars: about 3100 miles above the earth) to see if they are consistent. I have a feeling this would not refute the flat eath theory though, it might just refine it. Also its a little impractical unless you have a friend a fair distance away on the hemisphere facing the star/sun/moon with the right equiptment and even then others could just say you are lying.

edit: Actually I think I was wrong when I said "I have a feeling this would not refute the flat eath theory though, it might just refine it." If you could measure from two different baselines assuming a flat earth then if the round earth theory is correct you should get significantly different measurements.

PARALLAX
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »
By using crude measurements from the UN logo and some preexisting data I calculated the supposed distance of the moon from the equator to be about 7400 miles. I won't bother detailing how I did this since it won't prove anything anyway because it relies on possible government manipulated data. Just thought you might be interested.

BTW I got the data from here: http://homepage.mac.com/dvhscience/SpaceAcademy/Projects/moonparallax.html

[edit: i'm now having serious doubts about my estimates but I can't be bothered checking them so....]

PARALLAX
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »
Quote from: "Marshy"

Why not measure the distance to the moon and sun while your at it? You'd also have to calculate the distance of the baseline by assuming no curvature of the Earth (as in the flat Earth model). Then you could compare your results to the flat earth estimates (moon and sun: 3000 miles above the equator, stars: about 3100 miles above the earth) to see if they are consistent. I have a feeling this would not refute the flat eath theory though, it might just refine it. Also its a little impractical unless you have a friend a fair distance away on the hemisphere facing the star/sun/moon with the right equiptment and even then others could just say you are lying.

edit: Actually I think I was wrong when I said "I have a feeling this would not refute the flat eath theory though, it might just refine it." If you could measure from two different baselines assuming a flat earth then if the round earth theory is correct you should get significantly different measurements.

im gonna try to measure the moon, if it works ill supply all research materials like graphs, etc
[/i]
-Erasmus