What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #1200 on: November 09, 2020, 11:30:01 PM »
Here's another experiment a friend of mine did. And it just so happens to be exactly the set up I think Scepti was describing; a leveled tube. And no, it was not "faked" or whatever. It really just is what it is. No trickery involved.
As one can plainly see, the horizon is clearly below eye-level and even the setting sun is shining from below toward the upper part of the tube. I'm not even sure how one could "fake" that bit. I don't think it gets any more crystal clear than this - The horizon does NOT always rise to meet eye-level:

Any particular reason why the spirit level bubble is obscure?
I very simple video of this set up would be so easy, showing the scope and crosshair plus bubble level of the spirit level...and yet we get this.

You know what's amusing?
Anyone can perform this experiment for themselves with the simple stuff I mentioned. This is how silly it all is and shocks me as to why someone would go to the trouble of faking it.

It's there for all honest people to see for themselves.

This is the very experiment you want performed. The evidence is here which shows you are wrong. If you really want to persuade the rest of us, why not show us some evidence of your own? A simple video set up would be all that's needed, right? OK then, let's see one. All we can do is provide evidence to you to convince you we are right - and we do provide that evidence. Lots of evidence. Since there is only one of you and several of us, it would be much more efficient for you to try persuading us with some actual evidence rather than your constant appeal to authority (yourself). You might say you've done these experiments, but frankly, I don't think any of us believe for one second you have. But feel free to prove me wrong.
Show me the truth and stop putting this con job up.

Listen, I know you believe no one, and that's fine. But I can assure you this is no "con job". Be that as it may, you have been presented with this evidence which you don't like and think is fake. So now, you need to present us with evidence that refutes this. Will you not present a similar experiment or evidence to show how it is incorrect? As in showing it to be a "con job"?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1201 on: November 10, 2020, 12:01:16 AM »
Here's another experiment a friend of mine did. And it just so happens to be exactly the set up I think Scepti was describing; a leveled tube. And no, it was not "faked" or whatever. It really just is what it is. No trickery involved.
As one can plainly see, the horizon is clearly below eye-level and even the setting sun is shining from below toward the upper part of the tube. I'm not even sure how one could "fake" that bit. I don't think it gets any more crystal clear than this - The horizon does NOT always rise to meet eye-level:

I very simple video of this set up would be so easy, showing the scope and crosshair plus bubble level of the spirit level...and yet we get this.

You know what's amusing?
Anyone can perform this experiment for themselves with the simple stuff I mentioned. This is how silly it all is and shocks me as to why someone would go to the trouble of faking it.

This is the very experiment you want performed. The evidence is here which shows you are wrong. If you really want to persuade the rest of us, why not show us some evidence of your own? A simple video set up would be all that's needed, right? OK then, let's see one. All we can do is provide evidence to you to convince you we are right - and we do provide that evidence. Lots of evidence. Since there is only one of you and several of us, it would be much more efficient for you to try persuading us with some actual evidence rather than your constant appeal to authority (yourself). You might say you've done these experiments, but frankly, I don't think any of us believe for one second you have. But feel free to prove me wrong.

Listen, I know you believe no one, and that's fine. But I can assure you this is no "con job". Be that as it may, you have been presented with this evidence which you don't like and think is fake. So now, you need to present us with evidence that refutes this. Will you not present a similar experiment or evidence to show how it is incorrect? As in showing it to be a "con job"?
I don't need to show you something that you can easily do yourself and prove to yourself.
I'm more than comfortable with what I know. You seem comfortable with trying to show me all kinds of pictures that prove nothing...and you know it. Why?

Why not do the real experiment for yourself?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1202 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:36 AM »

You know what's amusing?

I don't need to show you something that you can easily do yourself and prove to yourself.
I'm more than comfortable with what I know. You seem comfortable with trying to show me all kinds of pictures that prove nothing...and you know it. Why?

Why not do the real experiment for yourself?

I think you've missed the point. I was there for the "box" experiment. I saw it for myself. At altitude, the horizon does not rise up to eye level. Literally no one is trying to con you.

I'm saying, I've seen it and a bunch of us have presented documentation of what has been seen. So the ball is in your court.

Or do you just want to leave it that I have presented evidence that shows you are wrong and you have presented nothing showing you are right? I'm cool with that.

« Reply #1203 on: November 10, 2020, 12:29:48 AM »
Sceptimatic, why not take your favourite colored lipstick and draw a big letter "L" on your forehead, or alternatively president Trump's portrait? You've earned it.

You asked for proof and you have been shown proof. The horizon is not another name for the eye line. You've proved you know nothing about perspective.

Cough up an experiment you have done, which proves this planet we walk on, is a giant flat football field with giant lakes, and be done with it. Or are you afraid you'll break the flat earther code by actually doing an experiment, instead of getting all your globalist puppet slaves to do experiments at your beck and call?

Nobody do another single experiment for this narcissistic ego maniac. Let him do an experiment.

JackBlack

« Reply #1204 on: November 10, 2020, 01:23:10 AM »
let's not forget that your Earth is a ball and not a roundabout, unless you want to be arguing this from a flat Earth circle mindset.
It is arguing the relative motion due to the rotation in 2D. It has nothing to do with if Earth is a sphere or a circle, and nothing at all like a FE with a disk spinning above.

But the points of light do change position from where you are.
Which is not the same as them actually moving.
Other than for very accurate measurements or over very long periods of time, the stars, excluding the sun, appear to remain fixed on a giant celestial sphere. The Earth rotates at the centre of the sphere making the stars appear to move for observers on Earth.

Any direction as long as it leads to a truth.
You sure about that? Because so far you have been opposing truth however you can.
Literally dismissing evidence as "cheating" and claiming you will refuse to accept you are wrong, while continually ignoring a logical argument which clearly shows you are wrong and which you are yet to actually challenge.

Let me try and make this more clear and easy to understand.
That picture can show tubes of water/liquid and a tube and line but the observer can assume any position when looking at those lines and levels, ensuring the horizon is not eye level. It's a con job and you know fine well it's a con job.
The issue is not one of us not understanding, it is an issue of what you are spouting being pure BS.
People cannot just magically make it not appear level.
Due to how perspective and vanishing points actually work, if the horizon actually was at eye level then you would not be capable of just changing your position to make it appear to not be.

Again, refer to this image:

Moving your position up and down would move the water level, but it doesn't simply move it up or down the image. That is the point of the 2 tubes. Instead of both moving by an equal amount, they would move more like those red lines.
If you moved up to make it appear lower, then it would be like the lower red line; and as you are now viewing it from above, it appears to point up.
If instead you move down to make it appear higher, then it would be like the upper red line; and as you are now viewing it from below, it appears to point down.
But what remains, is that it still points to the actual convergence point which is clearly distinct from the horizon.

So the only attempt at a con job is by you, and you would have to be extremely stupid to not see that.

What baffles me is, why would you do this when you clearly know what I'm talking about and you can actually see for yourself....and so can anyone else. It strikes me as odd as hell, unless your goal is to ensure people don't get to the truth....but why?
Again, you are describing yourself here.
You are the one repeatedly lying to everyone.
You are the one who can easily test it yourself and clearly see you are wrong.
You are the one trying to con people and lead them away from the truth.
The question is why?

Why not just be honest for once and ask us for what you really want?
Why not just directly ask us for blatantly fabricated evidence to prop up your delusional fantasies and completely discard the truth?

You have been presented with the truth repeatedly and made it clear that you have no interest in it at all.
Why don't you provide us with this evidence considering you think it is so easy to obtain, and you clearly have no interest in accepting actual evidence from other people, as it shows you are wrong.

What is it with you people?
Why start your convergence point from the liquid level in that tube?
Yes, what is it with us people, objectively determining where the convergence point is based upon how parallel lines converge, rather than using circular reasoning of assuming it must be the horizon to conclude the horizon is at the convergence point.
Where else would we start it from?
We are clearly demonstrating that the convergence point is not the horizon by showing multiple parallel lines all converging on a point which clearly isn't the horizon.
You can do this for loads of images.

Do you expect us to just accept your blatant lie that the horizon is magically the convergence point for no reason at all other than pure magic and try drawing it from there?
If so, that would be entirely useless for determining if the horizon is the convergence point.

How about you stop with the deflection and explain why the horizon is not at the convergence point and doesn't line up with it at all?

You can easily do your own. I've explained how easy it is and anyone can do it. I'd love to hear from some honest people for a change.
Again, some of us have done it ourselves. It shows you are wrong.
You have heard from plenty of honest people, you just lie about them and reject the truth because it shows you are wrong.
We would love to hear you be honest for once.
Do you actually understand what honesty is?

« Reply #1205 on: November 10, 2020, 01:37:49 AM »
Quote from: robinofloxley
If you are still not happy with the idea of stars as a fixed reference point, then I think we have two options.

1) Accept for now what I'm saying, work through the rest of the moon distance method, we note any further issues you are not happy with and then at the end we come back and address all the issues, one by one.
We can do this if you want.

2) Forget about the whole moon distance thing (at least for now) and side-track and start talking about the whole are stars fixed or not issue.
We can also do this. I want to know the reality and I don't want it in obscure patterns.

I don't really mind either way. You tell me which direction you want to go in.

I'm asking you to choose. I know you don't like choosing, but this one is pretty simple. Park the issues, finish going through the method and then return to the issues OR park the method and deal with the issues as they arise. I'm not going to make the choice for you, up to you to tell me which way you would rather go.

We've done the standing in the doorway, after you, no, after you bit. I'm standing here with my arms crossed waiting for you to decide.

« Reply #1206 on: November 10, 2020, 01:54:12 AM »
Go and do it for yourself.
Plenty of us have, or have done something similar, and it proves you are wrong.

It certainly does not prove me wrong. I've done it and it shows exactly what I expected it to show. A level horizon to the eye at any height. It cannot do anything else and this is the ultimate point.
If you do not want to admit to that then feel free. It has no bearing on what I know and you're only setting yourself back.
Can you share the picture?

Presumably something like this?

At first I started to trust you. How silly of me.

Well it was tongue in cheek, but there is a serious point being made. I've superimposed a tube in the image just to make the point that the original image is exactly what you ask for, a level view with crosshair in the middle. The tube doesn't need to be there, it doesn't make any difference, the horizon is still clearly below level.

You keep claiming this is wrong and we can do experiments like this to see for ourselves. Well I've used an app on my phone which shows elevation angle and seen for myself that the horizon is below level when I'm up high. That's my experiment and I'm happy with it. I don't need to waste my time messing about with cardboard tubes and bits of cotton.
That picture can show tubes of water/liquid and a tube and line but the observer can assume any position when looking at those lines and levels, ensuring the horizon is not eye level. It's a con job and you know fine well it's a con job.
What baffles me is, why would you do this when you clearly know what I'm talking about and you can actually see for yourself....and so can anyone else. It strikes me as odd as hell, unless your goal is to ensure people don't get to the truth....but why?

No they can't. If the observer moves up, then the liquid levels won't line up. If the observer moves down, then the liquid levels line won't line up. Put one finger in front of another, line them up, then, keeping them in place, move your head up or down. They won't stay lined up. What this shows is, when they were in a line, there was a straight line joining all three points, your eye and your two fingers. Move your head up and the three points can no longer form a straight line.

What this picture shows is that the three points - camera plus two liquid levels - are all in the same straight line. Since the two liquid levels are connected, the two liquid levels are also literally level, they can't be anything else. If there's any doubt about this, fill a tube in a similar way and just put a spirit level alongside. So since the two liquid levels are level and the camera is in the same straight line, the line extending out from the camera across the tops of the liquid is also level and as you extend that out, you clearly see it is above the horizon.

I mean you keep telling us all to perform a similar experiment ourselves and several of us have and we all find the same thing - the horizon is below level. It's the complete opposite of what you are claiming, without any evidence at all.

How do you expect to persuade any of of your truth when you offer nothing other than baseless unsupported claims and in the meantime we've done our own experiments and proved to ourselves what actually happens.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1207 on: November 10, 2020, 04:30:16 AM »

Do you really not understand how tubes work?

The tubes are connected, the water level in both tubes equalizes.

You can't just look at it from 'any angle' because the system is self-leveling.

Do you really think they were just pouring more water into one tube to fake the experiment?  That's hilarious, and sad.

rvlvr

« Reply #1208 on: November 10, 2020, 05:55:08 AM »
Sceptimatic's throes are getting more desperate, and weak. Like when you throw a Poke ball! First there is fighting, then the shakes becomes less and less, then comes the realization one has been defeated.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1209 on: November 10, 2020, 06:38:59 AM »

I think you've missed the point. I was there for the "box" experiment. I saw it for myself. At altitude, the horizon does not rise up to eye level. Literally no one is trying to con you.

I'm saying, I've seen it and a bunch of us have presented documentation of what has been seen. So the ball is in your court.

Or do you just want to leave it that I have presented evidence that shows you are wrong and you have presented nothing showing you are right? I'm cool with that.
I'm not missing any points. I'm well aware of the " I witnessed it scenario and what not.
Don't you want to find the truth or are you happy to just go along with what you were fed?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1210 on: November 10, 2020, 06:44:39 AM »
Sceptimatic, why not take your favourite colored lipstick and draw a big letter "L" on your forehead, or alternatively president Trump's portrait? You've earned it.

You asked for proof and you have been shown proof. The horizon is not another name for the eye line. You've proved you know nothing about perspective.

Nobody has shown me any proof. You know this and so does everyone who's tried it on.
Screaming out loud is not a proof and nor is jumping in to simply scream out loud for the rest of your internet buddies, without actually offering anything yourself.
Quote from: Smoke Machine
Cough up an experiment you have done, which proves this planet we walk on, is a giant flat football field with giant lakes, and be done with it.
If I thought that, I would...but I don't, so you have a problem.

Or are you afraid you'll break the flat earther code by actually doing an experiment, instead of getting all your globalist puppet slaves to do experiments at your beck and call?

I've shown many an experiment and how people can do them. Try them yourself.

Nobody do another single experiment for this narcissistic ego maniac. Let him do an experiment.
I sense anger and frustration.
You appear to be a bit of an internet bully. My advice to you would be to deck out and save yourself the turmoil.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1211 on: November 10, 2020, 06:48:55 AM »
But the points of light do change position from where you are.
Which is not the same as them actually moving.
Other than for very accurate measurements or over very long periods of time, the stars, excluding the sun, appear to remain fixed on a giant celestial sphere. The Earth rotates at the centre of the sphere making the stars appear to move for observers on Earth.

It doesn't matter what appears to move. Something moves, whether that be the person on the roundabout ot the person among the trees looking at the person moving on a roundabout.
Something is moving.

If you look up at points of light, either you are moving with your so called global Earth or the points of light are moving....but.....something is moving.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1212 on: November 10, 2020, 06:50:09 AM »
If you are still not happy with the idea of stars as a fixed reference point, then I think we have two options.

1) Accept for now what I'm saying, work through the rest of the moon distance method, we note any further issues you are not happy with and then at the end we come back and address all the issues, one by one.

2) Forget about the whole moon distance thing (at least for now) and side-track and start talking about the whole are stars fixed or not issue.
We can also do this. I want to know the reality and I don't want it in obscure patterns.

I'm asking you to choose. I know you don't like choosing, but this one is pretty simple. Park the issues, finish going through the method and then return to the issues OR park the method and deal with the issues as they arise. I'm not going to make the choice for you, up to you to tell me which way you would rather go.

We've done the standing in the doorway, after you, no, after you bit. I'm standing here with my arms crossed waiting for you to decide.
Let's deal with it all as we go. Are you afraid to do that?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1213 on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »

No they can't. If the observer moves up, then the liquid levels won't line up.

Let me make this even more clear.

If the observer had looked from a level to start with instead of taking the picture from a slight angle, the observer would then take the picture showing the perfectly eye level horizon.
I have no clue why you're arguing this because you can clearly go and do a legitimate experiment yourself. You have no need to try and convince me of this fakery. I know the reality, 100%.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1214 on: November 10, 2020, 06:55:00 AM »

Do you really think they were just pouring more water into one tube to fake the experiment?  That's hilarious, and sad.
Let's not go into that. You should know this is not what I'm arguing and if not....pay attention.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1215 on: November 10, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »
Sceptimatic's throes are getting more desperate, and weak. Like when you throw a Poke ball! First there is fighting, then the shakes becomes less and less, then comes the realization one has been defeated.
Your input is weak attempts at ad hominem tactics which are so mild they're almost pleasant.
Put some real effort in, instead of trying to be someone who can't be anyone on an internet forum.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1216 on: November 10, 2020, 07:10:55 AM »

Let's not go into that. You should know this is not what I'm arguing and if not....pay attention.

No, you pay attention.  You said you could "assume any position when looking at those lines" but you can only look at them from ONE position to see them level. 

The water in those two tubes are both at the same level, so if you line them up, you are looking perfectly level.  That's how it works.

So it looks like you don't know how tubes work. Or water.  Or something.

rvlvr

« Reply #1217 on: November 10, 2020, 07:17:40 AM »
Your input is weak attempts at ad hominem tactics which are so mild they're almost pleasant.
Put some real effort in, instead of trying to be someone who can't be anyone on an internet forum.
Where are the pics that support what you claim?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1218 on: November 10, 2020, 07:20:50 AM »

No, you pay attention.  You said you could "assume any position when looking at those lines" but you can only look at them from ONE position to see them level. 
No I didn't. Don't argue this until you produce the quote where I supposedly said it. Or...pay attention.

Quote from: JJA
The water in those two tubes are both at the same level, so if you line them up, you are looking perfectly level.  That's how it works.
If you line them up to where?

Quote from: JJA
So it looks like you don't know how tubes work. Or water.  Or something.
I know perfectly well how they work. They show a level...a flatness. They sit horizontally opposite from wherever you place them and show a true level.

Guess what I'm saying?

This alone would be hard to do on your globe.....but......but....we will deal with the horizon at EYE LEVEL.
Do you know what EYE LEVEL is?

Understand eye level and you will understand that your horizon......YOUR horizon is always at your eye level.
A genuinely levelled scope with a crosshair......any scope.....even a kitchen roll holder, nice and level and looked through to the horizon, will show it to be level to your eye..................................ALWAYS...................................ALWAYS.

Any height.

rvlvr

« Reply #1219 on: November 10, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Prove it.

« Reply #1220 on: November 10, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »

Let's deal with it all as we go. Are you afraid to do that?

No, not at all. Quite happy to do that.

« Reply #1221 on: November 10, 2020, 08:30:08 AM »

If the observer had looked from a level to start with instead of taking the picture from a slight angle, the observer would then take the picture showing the perfectly eye level horizon.
I have no clue why you're arguing this because you can clearly go and do a legitimate experiment yourself. You have no need to try and convince me of this fakery. I know the reality, 100%.

The observer is level. Sure the photo is taken from slightly to the side in order for us all to be able to see the levels in both tubes at the same time, but a side to side movement from a level position still leaves you level. The observer/camera cannot move up or down and still be level with the tubes, that's the point.

I've stated several times already that I have done an experiment myself and I know what I saw. If you want to convince me I was somehow mistaken, by all means present some actual evidence rather than just telling me to do my own experiment. I repeat, I have already done my experiment and I know what the result was. I don't need to go and do it again.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1222 on: November 10, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »

The observer is level. Sure the photo is taken from slightly to the side in order for us all to be able to see the levels in both tubes at the same time, but a side to side movement from a level position still leaves you level. The observer/camera cannot move up or down and still be level with the tubes, that's the point.

I've stated several times already that I have done an experiment myself and I know what I saw. If you want to convince me I was somehow mistaken, by all means present some actual evidence rather than just telling me to do my own experiment. I repeat, I have already done my experiment and I know what the result was. I don't need to go and do it again.
I don't need to convince you. If you can't/won't do the simple experiment I gave then you are simply not interested in the truth. You can't be, otherwise you'd do it for you...not for me...or anyone else.

« Reply #1223 on: November 10, 2020, 09:35:56 AM »

I don't need to convince you. If you can't/won't do the simple experiment I gave then you are simply not interested in the truth. You can't be, otherwise you'd do it for you...not for me...or anyone else.

The simple truth is in my opinion the experiment I've already done is equivalent to the experiment you want me to do, so I simply can't see the point, it would be a complete waste of my time. Furthermore it's perfectly clear that others have done similar experiments and their results agree with mine. In particular you've been shown photographic evidence of an experiment identical to the one you say I should go out and do and you just dismiss it as fake, so it's fair to assume if I do your experiment and take photos to prove it, that you'll call fake on mine as well. It's what you do.

I don't need to convince myself, I've already done my own experiment to my own satisfaction. I know I won't be able to convince you either. I mean you could have a go at convincing me if you like, but your words alone won't budge me as you never offer any evidence to back them up.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1224 on: November 10, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »

No I didn't. Don't argue this until you produce the quote where I supposedly said it. Or...pay attention.

Yes you did.  It's right up there.

"That picture can show tubes of water/liquid and a tube and line but the observer can assume any position when looking at those lines and levels, ensuring the horizon is not eye level." - sceptimatic

You don't seem to understand that there is only ONE height you can look at the water in the two tubes so they line up.

ONE.

You can't just move the camera around to make the horizon appear at different heights if you are lining the camera up with the water levels.

The observer can NOT assume any position like you claim.  You keep saying you didn't say that, but you did, it's right there.

JackBlack

« Reply #1225 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
I'm not missing any points. I'm well aware of the " I witnessed it scenario and what not.
Don't you want to find the truth or are you happy to just go along with what you were fed?
You seem to be missing the point that so far all the available evidence, and even simple logical thought shows you are completely wrong.

It should be clear by people repeatedly questioning your BS and providing evidence against it that we do care about the truth and aren't happy to just go along with the BS you are trying to feed us.

Nobody has shown me any proof.
You have been provided with plenty of evidence, proof beyond any sane doubt.
And all you have done is repeatedly dismiss it because it shows you are wrong.

I've shown many an experiment and how people can do them. Try them yourself.
You have provided nothing which shows Earth to be flat.
You have outright lied about what you would expect for a RE, had that lie refuted repeatedly, with no objection to the refutation, only for you to continue to repeat that same lie, and provided an experiment which is able to determine if Earth is round or flat, which clearly shows it is round.

You have provided absolutely nothing which actually shows Earth to be flat, or allows people to discover it for themselves.

You appear to be a bit of an internet bully.
No, that would be you.
Repeatedly insulting people who question you, acting like they are ignorant, indoctrinated fools that just accept whatever BS has been told to them who repeatedly lie, with absolutely nothing to back up your allegations.

No, lets actually make this more clear:
You are outright lying to everyone here to avoid admitting that reality does not back up your FE delusions, as easily shown by a very simple experiment which you have no rational objection to.
What you are saying is pure BS!

As clearly explained, if it actually lined up with the horizon, then taking the picture from a slight angle would result in the 2 water levels not being the same in the photo and a line connecting them to reach the horizon.
If you look at this water level from above the more distant tube will appear to be higher. This means that a line connecting them would appear to point upwards. This still lines up with the convergence point, which still is not the horizon.
If you look at this water level from below, the more distant tube will appear to be lower. This means that a line connecting them would appear to point upwards. This still lines up with the convergence point, which still is not the horizon.

we will deal with the horizon at EYE LEVEL.
Do you know what EYE LEVEL is?
Do you know what it is?
Because it clearly isn't where the horizon is.

Stop just repeatedly asserting the lies.
Provide evidence to back up your lies and deal with the evidence which exposes them as lies.
And no, not just by dismissing that evidence as a con job, or cheating.
Actually rationally explaining how that alleged conjob was produced, and that means actually addressing the issues with your claims.

Or, provide your own evidence, otherwise, all the available evidence continues to show that the horizon is below eye level.

If you can't/won't do the simple experiment I gave then you are simply not interested in the truth.
Again, plenty of us have done the experiment and it shows you are wrong.
You are the one with no interest in the truth.
You are the one repeatedly lying to us all.

Now why don't you stop with the lies and just admit you are wrong?

« Reply #1226 on: November 10, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »
Hey there! I got here really late to the party :(

I am still working my way through the 41 pages of responses, but seeing the "bookends" makes me feel like this response should be first.

@sceptimatic

I dig it!  If I understand you properly, your contention is that with the horizon dead center and level/horizontal through your lens(es) ("horizon drop" and elevation are irrelevant / red herring) - as you zoom in, assuming a sphere earth, the horizon should ultimately disappear as you zoom "beyond" the "physical point" of the horizon (into "empty space"/sky). 

The fact that this doesn't happen (the horizon remains a fixed horizontal, never curving, line dividing the lenses as it did initially, until you zoom so far that it all hazes out due to interaction with air/matter) suggests that the plane continues as far as the eye can see, even aided.

@JackBlack

Does the above make sense to you?  The "horizon drop" is irrelevant.

@sparks0314

What would it take for you to change your mind, whichever side you're on?

A worthy question to ponder earnestly!  Most people never seriously consider it.

I am on neither "side".  I am a globe skeptic.  I don't know what the shape of the entire world is, but I have sufficient evidence that it is not, and likely cannot, be spherical.

For me the best piece of evidence glaringly absent from the "empirical science" of the globe model is the empirical measurement of the (fictional) curvature of water's surface at rest.  Water does not curve at rest, and cannot due to its fundamental behavior, in the sustained convex manner the globe model requires, no one has EVER measured that to be the case, and whenever measured - water's surface is always level/horizontal and flat at rest (which is a natural law of hydrostatics that has stood unchallenged for centuries).

If anyone could measure this perpetually calculated (but never measured in the history of humanity) convex curvature of water's surface at rest as required by the globe model - that would do a LOT to getting it a chance to FINALLY become a part of empirical science.

For me, if I went up in an airplane and saw the world flat below me, I think that would be a pretty big sign.

Then rejoice! You have that "big sign"!  The horizon is an optical illusion, the edge of nothing but our vision, and does not curve at any altitude.

As for the curvature you think you witnessed, there are several possibilities :

1.  Placebo.  It's a hell of a drug!  This is, by far, the most common reason that people believe they see the "curve of the earth" in a plane.  No curvature exists to the horizon at any altitude, and even those that believe it does calculate that it is impossible to see from any airplane.

2.  Optical/lens distortion caused by the plane window / air / etc.  This IS what happened on the concorde. Intentionally or otherwise the plane windows were curved to cause the illusion (which, partially by overt advertising to that effect, the customers were paying through the nose for)

3.  Physical deformation of the eye/processing.  Least likely, but possible!

Also if I went to Antarctica and saw the cliffs to keep me from falling off, that would certainly make me think.

Get crazy rich and pack warmly! Otherwise (except for the die-hards) give up that fantasy!  In any case, the idea that antarctica is, or is a part of, a giant ice wall that encircles the world is merely speculation.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:46:40 AM by jack44556677 »

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #1227 on: November 10, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
I dig it!  If I understand you properly, your contention is that with the horizon dead center and level/horizontal through your lens(es) ("horizon drop" and elevation are irrelevant / red herring) - as you zoom in, assuming a sphere earth, the horizon should ultimately disappear as you zoom "beyond" the "physical point" of the horizon (into "empty space"/sky). 

The fact that this doesn't happen (the horizon remains a fixed horizontal, never curving, line dividing the lenses as it did initially, until you zoom so far that it all hazes out due to interaction with air/matter) suggest that the plane continues as far as the eye can see, even aided.

This is simply incorrect.  Imagine standing on a large table.  You can see the edge, it's a line, you can zoom in with a telescope as much as you want and it will remain a line.  It won't 'haze out' no matter how powerful of a telescope you have.

Same with a sphere.  You can see the edge, it's relatively close to you, so there is no 'hazing out' because that telescope is just magnifying the physical edge you are looking at.  No matter how far you zoom in, no matter how big of a telescope, the horizon on a sphere never gets further away.  It doesn't vanish.

On an infinite plane you would indeed 'haze out' but that's not what we observe.  We see ships sink beyond the horizon, not fade out.

JackBlack

« Reply #1228 on: November 10, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
@sceptimatic

The fact that this doesn't happen (the horizon remains a fixed horizontal, never curving, line dividing the lenses as it did initially, until you zoom so far that it all hazes out due to interaction with air/matter) suggest that the plane continues as far as the eye can see, even aided.
@JackBlack
Does the above make sense to you?  The "horizon drop" is irrelevant.
No, that does not match what he is saying.
He is saying that if Earth is round, if you merely looked out towards the horizon, you would not see it at all and instead would see nothing but sky, which is completely false.
He is saying that the fact you see the horizon at all, instead of nothing but sky indicates Earth is flat, which again is completely false.
He refuses to provide any justification at all for this at all, other than basically repeating his claim and saying Earth curves down.
He refuses to acknowledge that for a RE, the horizon, when viewed from near sea level, will be basically the same as eye level, with it only a tiny bit below.
He refuses to acknowledge that all measurements have some uncertainty and that an observation of a horizon appearing at roughly eye level, does not actually show that it is exactly at eye level and instead allows it to be slightly above or below.

And that also means the horizon drop is extremely relevant.
If your measurement can only tell if the horizon is within a degree of level, and the RE should have it a mere 2.4 arc seconds below level, then you cannot tell the difference. You observation matches the RE.
So your claim that it is irrelevant does not make any sense at all, especially with the evidence which shows the horizon is below eye level.

That also means the last part isn't a fact either. The fact is that the horizon is observed to be below eye level.

And no, typically the horizon does not haze out due to light passing through the air. Typically by the time that is an issue you are high enough to see it clearly below level (and the fact that it is observed to be below eye-level is irrefutable, backed up by mountains of evidence and with no objection other than dismissing it as fake).
Instead, what typically makes it blurry is a limitation of the optics used.

For me the best piece of evidence glaringly absent from the "empirical science" of the globe model is the empirical measurement of the (fictional) curvature of water's surface at rest.
Do you mean the very real observations and measurements?
A simple qualitative one is an observation of a distant object which is above the water level, with you also above the water level.
Somehow the bottom of the object is obstructed, as if the water has curved to block the view.

Or do you mean at the small scale, where it is observed to curve at the edge of a container?

Water does not curve at rest, and cannot due to its fundamental behavior
What fundamental behaviour would that be? Do you mean how it adopts a level surface to minimise energy?
Noting that "level" is fundamentally distinct from "flat"?
Such that due to gravity, and Earth's rotation it adopts a roughly oblate spheroid shape, just as observed in reality?

in the sustained convex manner the globe model requires, no one has EVER measured that to be the case
You mean no one has ever measured it to not be the case.
I am yet to see a single actual measurement of the surface of water at rest which indicates it does not curve to follow Earth.

water's surface is always level/horizontal and flat at rest (which is a natural law of hydrostatics that has stood unchallenged for centuries).
Pure nonsense.
While you are correct that it remains level, that is not horizontal, nor is it flat.
All it takes is a simple observation of water in a thin tube, where it curves at the edge to see that.
Another observation you can do is look a droplet of water on a waxy surface.
Notice how it isn't flat?

It has been centuries since capillary action was first recorded.
Likewise, it has been known that Earth is curved, and that water follows this curve for centuries.
And both of these have stood unchallenged for centuries. (and no, people just dismissing it isn't actually challenging it, challenging it would be providing evidence which shows it is false)

There is no law of hydrostatics which demands that water remains flat or horizontal.

Then rejoice! You have that "big sign"!  The horizon is an optical illusion, the edge of nothing but our vision, and does not curve at any altitude.
What causes this magical limit to our vision?
Why can we see past it, rather than objects disappearing from vision as soon as they cross that threshold, rather than disappearing from the bottom up?
How does this magically lower objects, such that it appears that the bottom is obscured by the water? Why don't we just get a region of darkness instead?
Why does the distance to it vary depending on altitude?
Why doesn't the distance to it vary depend on optics used to measure it?

And that still isn't observing Earth to be flat. Observing Earth to be flat would be seeing all the way to the edge.
For example, when I look at a flat table, from above, I can see all the way to the edge of the table, seeing basically everything on it.
But with Earth, instead of seeing that, we can only see a small portion, with that matching what you would expect for a RE.

As for the curvature you think you witnessed, there are several possibilities :
The simplest, and most likely of which is that Earth is in fact round.
Meanwhile, the alleged flatness you think you have observed is due to the curvature being in a direction which is intrinsically difficult to actually observe, and due to just how small the curvature is.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:33:09 PM by JackBlack »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1229 on: November 10, 2020, 10:13:03 PM »
The simple truth is in my opinion the experiment I've already done is equivalent to the experiment you want me to do, so I simply can't see the point, it would be a complete waste of my time.
Don't bother doing it then. The experiment is only for yourself. It has no bearing on me so feel free to shy away from it.

Furthermore it's perfectly clear that others have done similar experiments and their results agree with mine.
Yep, similar or the same experiments that mean absolutely nothing are are absolutely bogus....and I believe you know this.

In particular you've been shown photographic evidence of an experiment identical to the one you say I should go out and do and you just dismiss it as fake, so it's fair to assume if I do your experiment and take photos to prove it, that you'll call fake on mine as well. It's what you do.
If you do it correctly I won't need to call fake. You know this.

I don't need to convince myself, I've already done my own experiment to my own satisfaction. I know I won't be able to convince you either. I mean you could have a go at convincing me if you like, but your words alone won't budge me as you never offer any evidence to back them up.
You can easily convince me if you show a definite. A fact. A legitimate, provable showing of what I've asked.
If you don't want to do that then, like I said, don't waste your own time.
I'm not waiting on you for any proof. I know the proof for myself. You would be well served by proving it to yourself by your own hands instead of hanging on to other people's bogus garbage and passing it off as your own.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:28:56 PM by sceptimatic »