So I guess Buzz Aldrin is still brainwashed

• 887 Replies
Re: So I guess Buzz Aldrin is still brainwashed
« Reply #870 on: December 06, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
It's been more than two months now, sceptimatic; in case you forgot, you promised to explain how you arrived at the conclusion below. To jog your memory, in the conversation that followed, it came to light that you knew this took 8 minutes, somehow involved the distance travelled, and was very amusing [no one seems to doubt this]. We're still waiting.

It should be pretty obvious to you that a shuttle launching into so called space, supposedly attaining a speed of 17,000 mph, would have to accelerate at a 5 miles per second per second to attain this 17,000 mph speed.

Do you under stand what this means?

Or have you recognized your mistake yet (I'm betting on the obvious rookie error) and just hoping this will be forgotten?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #871 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
It's been more than two months now, sceptimatic; in case you forgot, you promised to explain how you arrived at the conclusion below. To jog your memory, in the conversation that followed, it came to light that you knew this took 8 minutes, somehow involved the distance travelled, and was very amusing [no one seems to doubt this]. We're still waiting.

It should be pretty obvious to you that a shuttle launching into so called space, supposedly attaining a speed of 17,000 mph, would have to accelerate at a 5 miles per second per second to attain this 17,000 mph speed.

Or have you recognized your mistake yet (I'm betting on the obvious rookie error) and just hoping this will be forgotten?

Like a lot of his flat earth peers who, when confronted with a question regarding their claims and who can't answer, sceptimatic just goes quiet, disappears from the thread, and—as you say—hopes it'll be lost in the mists of time, never to be addressed.

And as you've suggested, numerous people here—including, laughably, most flat earthers—undoubtedly find sceptimatic's childlike explanations of "scientific" theories an endless source of amusement, wonderment and utter disbelief.  Even the way he phrases his quaint little parables about how to "understand" science the "correct" way is as though he's talking to a class of 3- and 4-year-olds.  And I'm guessing he'd actually make an excellent kindergarten teacher as his powers of logic and reason would be very similar to his pupils.

Incidentally, he won't see this, as he's—thankfully—got me on his IGNORE listing.  And if you can embarrass him sufficiently and make a fool of him enough times, then you'll be able to join that list.  He actually sees it as a "punishment" would you believe?

;D

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #872 on: December 07, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
RETards fighting. :)
Please keep personal attacks out of the upper fora.

Heh. You notice jroa isn't harping on a Flat Earther's use of a word that I hate to be used as a joke.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #874 on: December 16, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »

There is no mistake. If the shuttle is to attain that speed then what I said has to happen. There's no other way for vertical flight.
It's not a case of acceleration over distance. It's immediate acceleration and a constant until the fuel is used. It has to be 5 miles per second per second.

There is no other way it can work on vertical flight. It would be different if it was on horizontal flight with wings.
You won't grasp this because your mind is focused on the rocket kicking itself up its own arse. This is why you people will always have a head full of crap calculations and no logical thought.

?

guv

« Reply #875 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:11 AM »
Are you getting desperate septic.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #876 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »
Here is a recent TV appearance of Buzz. Buzz seems to be drunk as a sailor in port.

full link: #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">BUZZ ALDRIN INTERVIEW ON LIVE TV JULY 2014 PART 1

full link: #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">BUZZ ALDRIN ON LIVE TV JULY 2014 INTERVIEW PART 2

full link: #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">BUZZ ALDRIN ON LIVE TV JULY 2014 INTERVIEW PART 3

full link: #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">BUZZ ALDRIN ON LIVE TV JULY 2014 INTERVIEW FINAL PART
Something I've never understood about you, Heiwa. You argue against rockets in space but embrace the french rockets in space.
Any chance of explaining this?
You say you have a monetary interest in this stuff. This is baffling the hell out of me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #877 on: December 16, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »
Are you getting desperate septic.
Not at all. Cool, calm and collected as always. Should I be getting desperate up against people like you lot?
I feel like I'm too many steps ahead. Maybe I should go a bit more basic for you people. Nah, it's ok, I know you lot don't understand what basic means.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #878 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:09 AM »

Something I've never understood about you, Heiwa. You argue against rockets in space but embrace the french rockets in space.
You say you have a monetary interest in this stuff. This is baffling the hell out of me.

I (http://heiwaco.com/moontravel.htm) argue against human space travel. It is not only dangerous/unsafe but simply impossible. But I like simple or clever satellites around Earth for GPS, communications, etc, and the French Ariane V (soon VI) rockets sending them up. So I invest in the company doing it, Airbus NV, ex EADS. I think it is a good business.
Of course, when they overcharge ESA to send up fake spacecrafts, I just laugh. ESA steals the money from me as a taxpayer, pays Airbus NV to to the job ... and I get my money back as an investor.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #879 on: December 16, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »

I (http://heiwaco.com/moontravel.htm) argue against human space travel. It is not only dangerous/unsafe but simply impossible. But I like simple or clever satellites around Earth for GPS, communications, etc, and the French Ariane V (soon VI) rockets sending them up. So I invest in the company doing it, Airbus NV, ex EADS. I think it is a good business.
Of course, when they overcharge ESA to send up fake spacecrafts, I just laugh. ESA steals the money from me as a taxpayer, pays Airbus NV to to the job ... and I get my money back as an investor.
Oh ok, I see where you're coming from. That's a fair enough game.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #880 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

There is no mistake. If the shuttle is to attain that speed then what I said has to happen. There's no other way for vertical flight.
It's not a case of acceleration over distance. It's immediate acceleration and a constant until the fuel is used. It has to be 5 miles per second per second.

There is no other way it can work on vertical flight. It would be different if it was on horizontal flight with wings.
You won't grasp this because your mind is focused on the rocket kicking itself up its own arse. This is why you people will always have a head full of crap calculations and no logical thought.
It's funny because calculations and logic are synonyms.

Speaking of calculations and ligic, you need to show some to prove your notion that space shuttles have to accelerate really fast to get into orbit.  They do start out going up but that's just so they can get really high off the ground so they can get out of the atmosphere and then they rotate to face horizontally and start gaining speed.  The shuttle actually does a slower turn throughout it's flight to save fuel, but the same thing applies.  Hardly any energy is used to get the shuttle really high up compared to the ammount used to accelerate it.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #881 on: December 16, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
RETards fighting. :)

Yet more evidence that "this forum is strictly moderated!"  :P
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #882 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

"That speed" - do you mean 17,000 mi/hr as first stipulated? What has to happen to attain that speed? 5 mi/sec2 for eight minutes? Why? Please show your math. Why does the direction - vertical or horizontal matter?

If you accelerate at a constant 5 mi/sec/sec how fast will you be going after four seconds? How fast after 8 minutes?

Acceleration is acceleration, no matter what the method of propulsion is. How do wings supply acceleration?

It doesn't matter what direction the acceleration is, the results are the same.

I'm still betting on the rookie error for where that 5 mi/sec2 came from.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #883 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »

"That speed" - do you mean 17,000 mi/hr as first stipulated? What has to happen to attain that speed? 5 mi/sec2 for eight minutes? Why? Please show your math. Why does the direction - vertical or horizontal matter?

If you accelerate at a constant 5 mi/sec/sec how fast will you be going after four seconds? How fast after 8 minutes?

Acceleration is acceleration, no matter what the method of propulsion is. How do wings supply acceleration?

You're smart but as naive as hell.

Observe what I type.
Naturally the speed of the rocket is bullshit, so let's get that out in the open.

Assuming we accept the fantasy as real then the rocket has to IMMEDIATELY accelerate to 17,000 mph from the immediate lift off. It can NOT gain acceleration vertically.

5 miles per second times by 8 minutes or 480 seconds means an altitude of 2,400 miles?

It naturally is bullshit. Don;t even dare pretend that it gains acceleration as it climbs. why?

Observe what I type.

Your rocket has to use full thrust to get off the launch pad. It's at it's ultimate strength of push and can only keep that or lose it. It cannot increase it.

Observe why I say this as it applies to all life making a vertical movement whether it's an organism jumping ot a mechanical device under energy of whatever powers it. VERTICALLY.

VERTICALLY. OK?

Bend down and spring up. Where is your maximum thrust to lift your body?
Can your body gain in momentum after you have used full thrust, vertically?

A bow and arrow. When is that arrow at it's optimum power  and can it gain in power once released?

None of them are under constant energy applied so both will utilise the full power and lose it the second it's released, vertically.

Firework rocket. Light the fuse and it lifts off at super speed and keeps it until it uses up it's fuel. It does not gain by acceleration except the immediate accelerated launch, vertically.

A rocket will expend all of its fuel as fast as it moves and will fall to Earth in very short order, mostly after powered VERTICAL flight of around 30 seconds or less. Some maybe a little more.

No vertical rocket is going to burn for any 8 minutes. It's impossible and you should know why.

Not convinced are you?
You can't grasp it because your mind is based on fantasy science.

Get in your var and go and negotiate a steep hill.
Your best chance of getting up that steep hill is to put it in first gear and press that foot pedal to the floor.
Will you accelerate up that hill? no. You will immediately accelerate and then your car is either expending all its fuel keeping a steady run or it slows and claps out.

Get this stupid 17,000 mph crap out of your head and gather some logic. You have been filled full of crap your whole life and this is just one part of it.
Wake up before you expire in total ignorance.

?

guv

« Reply #884 on: December 17, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
Go septic, you got the bull by the horns now. You just posted a page of nonsense to a pretty smart man. Are you brave or stupid.
ps. take your var for a drive. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #885 on: December 17, 2014, 07:14:10 AM »
Unbelievable!

What an unmitigated load of utter bullshit is the above.  It's obvious sceptimatic doesn't even understand what acceleration is.   ;D

I'm still laughing... and my ribs hurt... and I can't see my screen for tears.............................

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #886 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »

Observe what I type.
Naturally the speed of the rocket is bullshit, so let's get that out in the open.

Assuming we accept the fantasy as real then the rocket has to IMMEDIATELY accelerate to 17,000 mph from the immediate lift off. It can NOT gain acceleration vertically.

5 miles per second times by 8 minutes or 480 seconds means an altitude of 2,400 miles?

It naturally is bullshit. Don;t even dare pretend that it gains acceleration as it climbs. why?

Observe what I type.

Your rocket has to use full thrust to get off the launch pad. It's at it's ultimate strength of push and can only keep that or lose it. It cannot increase it.

Observe why I say this as it applies to all life making a vertical movement whether it's an organism jumping ot a mechanical device under energy of whatever powers it. VERTICALLY.

VERTICALLY. OK?

A bow and arrow. When is that arrow at it's optimum power  and can it gain in power once released?

None of them are under constant energy applied so both will utilise the full power and lose it the second it's released, vertically.

Firework rocket. Light the fuse and it lifts off at super speed and keeps it until it uses up it's fuel. It does not gain by acceleration except the immediate accelerated launch, vertically.

A rocket will expend all of its fuel as fast as it moves and will fall to Earth in very short order, mostly after powered VERTICAL flight of around 30 seconds or less. Some maybe a little more.

No vertical rocket is going to burn for any 8 minutes. It's impossible and you should know why.

Not convinced are you?

Your best chance of getting up that steep hill is to put it in first gear and press that foot pedal to the floor.
Will you accelerate up that hill? no. You will immediately accelerate and then your car is either expending all its fuel keeping a steady run or it slows and claps out.

Get this stupid 17,000 mph crap out of your head and gather some logic. You have been filled full of crap your whole life and this is just one part of it.
in a rocket, the acceleration is constant, but acceleration means change in velovity, and velocity and acceleration are not the same thing.  The reason that arrows and you jumping don't accelerate upwards after you leave the ground is because you and the arrow don't have rockets or propellers to keep accelerating it/you.  A rocket accelerates at a constant rate, which means that the speed keeps on getting faster and faster even if the acceleration stays the same.

Have you ever driven a car?  As you go onto the freeway onramp and accelerate to freeway speed you are on an upward slope, and if you hold down the gas pedal to accelerate up the ramp your acceleration actually reduces as you speed up yet you keep on going faster and faster.  Just look it up, acceleration is not the same thing as velovity.  If things can accelerate instantly like you said, then you would be able to jump off of of a clif or crash a car and you would be fine, but objects in motion tend to stay in motion
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #887 on: December 17, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »

You may be right about the naive part - I'm here, aren't I? That may suggest otherwise about being smart, too. Whatever. It's always good to see a different perspective and I have learned some things in my time here, so it's all good.

Observe what I type.

You were the one that brought it up in the first place, but it sounds about right for LEO.

Assuming we accept the fantasy as real then the rocket has to IMMEDIATELY accelerate to 17,000 mph from the immediate lift off.
That is fantasy and I don't accept it. To do that would require infinite acceleration, which would require infinite power, which is clearly impossible. It's not necessary in real-world launches. Why would you have to have terminal velocity off the pad?

It can NOT gain acceleration vertically.
If thrust exceeds weight it will accelerate vertically.

I asked how fast, not how high, and that answer is wrong, anyway.

The acceleration is 5 mi per second per second.

The answer to the question I asked is 2400 mi per second.

v = at (velocity is acceleration times time)
 = (5 mi/sec2)(480 sec)
 = 2,400 mi/sec.

Assuming it went straight up the whole time, the altitude would be

s = 1/2at2 (distance is one-half acceleration times time squared)
 = (5 mi/sec2)(480 sec)2/2
 = (5 mi/sec2)(230,400 sec2)/2
 = 576,000 miles

Fortunately, we don't need to accelerate at this rate!

Observe what I type.

Maximum thrust getting off the pad is a reasonable assumption and probably true enough in most cases. The thing is, if going straight up the whole time, a rocket's acceleration will be proportional to the amount its thrust exceeds its weight. As it burns fuel, its weight decreases, so if the thrust remains constant, the acceleration will increase. If it has enough thrust to leave the pad, at maximum weight, it will accelerate at a greater rate as it climbs under constant thrust because it's getting lighter.

VERTICALLY. OK?

Also guns. In a gun, the projectile will be accelerated by the force of the burning powder until it leaves the barrel; after that, the powder can no longer provide an accelerating force.

All this is true, but these aren't rockets. Rockets continue to provide thrust after they've left the pad.

This is not necessarily true. Have you studied this to draw your conclusion?

Where did this 30 seconds (or so) come from? Did you make it up?

I don't know if it is impossible or not, but don't see any reason why it should be impossible in principle. Even if it is impossible in practice, since real rockets don't lift off and go straight up for 8 minutes, it doesn't matter.

Not convinced are you?
Nope.

I can't grasp it because what you're saying is nonsense.

How long you can accelerate uphill depends on three basic things: how much power is available, the mass of the car (how much it weighs), and how steep the hill is. There's also aerodynamic drag (considerable if you're going fast enough) and a few odds and ends like friction we will neglect here. The car getting lighter as you use up the fuel is also ignored here; this is a small effect in a car, where the weight of the fuel is a small fraction of total vehicle weight and changes slowly, but a very significant consideration with rockets since the fuel is a very large part of its initial mass, and can be shed very quickly.

Power is the ability to do a given amount of work in a given amount of time. Doing the same work in less time requires more power, doing more work in the same amount of time requires more power. "Work" in this context is lifting the weight of the car to higher elevation by driving uphill.

If you're accelerating from a stop at the bottom of a hill, your speed is slow at first so you start gaining elevation slowly, so the power required is relatively low. As you accelerate, the power required increases because you're climbing a greater distance (doing more work) in a given amount of time. Eventually you will reach the maximum power your engine can produce and you can no longer accelerate going uphill - but you can maintain that speed if the hill maintains the same slope.

You were the one who brought up 17,000 mi/hr.

Back atcha.