Don't you think that real science is a good thing?

• 4 Replies
Don't you think that real science is a good thing?
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
I mean, it brought us things like cars, microchips, skyscrapers, electricity, antibiotics, vaccines and much more if you think about it. Ask any engineer who designs those things (based on the scientific method that also tells that the earth is round) they will all say the same thing. And the things those engineers design work, you can see it every day! In fact the very micro chips you use to operate these forums are based on very highly developed physics, they are cut using light with wave length more then twice as wide as the chips.

I bet no one posting here has been into space himself, me neither.
But it is so very easy to see the evidence for a round earth with your own eyes. Fly with an airplane, visit the local weather modeling computer, visit a foucault pendulum, build one yourself (requires pretty accurate engineering parts though), buy a telescope and view the ISS. There are many very easily DIY replicable physical experiments to replicate the experiments to prove the underlying theories, we are talking 18th and 19th century physics here. Modern telescopes for a few hundred bucks are probably more accurate then what Copernicus and Kepler used, with a little careful fiddling you should be able to see the planetary movement yourself (just calculate the parallax). For about 2000 bucks you can fly around the world. Or sail with a boat and see the top of ships on the horizon appear first.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Re: Don't you think that real science is a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:57:10 PM »
I mean, it brought us things like cars, microchips, skyscrapers, electricity, antibiotics, vaccines and much more if you think about it. Ask any engineer who designs those things (based on the scientific method that also tells that the earth is round) they will all say the same thing. And the things those engineers design work, you can see it every day! In fact the very micro chips you use to operate these forums are based on very highly developed physics, they are cut using light with wave length more then twice as wide as the chips.

But it is so very easy to see the evidence for a round earth with your own eyes. Fly with an airplane, visit the local weather modeling computer, visit a foucault pendulum, build one yourself (requires pretty accurate engineering parts though), buy a telescope and view the ISS. There are many very easily DIY replicable physical experiments to replicate the experiments to prove the underlying theories, we are talking 18th and 19th century physics here. Modern telescopes for a few hundred bucks are probably more accurate then what Copernicus and Kepler used, with a little careful fiddling you should be able to see the planetary movement yourself (just calculate the parallax). For about 2000 bucks you can fly around the world. Or sail with a boat and see the top of ships on the horizon appear first.

They are so cute when they first get here.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
Cute? I'm more like WTF?

It's like saying the US are actually no more then a hundred miles wide and refusing to take a car to travel to the edge (or if you can't effort a car ask someone who has a car and did travel).
Or just ask any European in which direction they fly to reach Australia.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »

Keep the low-content posts out of the upper forums.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

Keep the low-content posts out of the upper forums.

Oh, I'm sorry Pongo, though you are also a perpertrator of this, since you decided to ignore his question.

Fine, I'll answer it in a complete fashion.

Because flat earthers are batshit insane and will ignore any evidence put before them and refuse to look for themselves.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur