We are all just sit'n and spinning here......

• 15 Replies
?

Mach1

« on: March 16, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »
Scientist say we are spinning about 1,038Mph at the equator. This would mean that we are spinning faster than the speed of sound.

If we are spinning this fast, then how are we able to hear anything? The sound would always be behind us. So no way this is true that the earth is spinning this fast. It's all a lie, we really are just sitting on a flat disc and not really spinning or going anywhere.....

Ahh crap,  I forgot everything is relative, we are going in so many directions I get fricken confused..  Lets see I'm spinning 1 rev day or 1038mph, going around the sun every 365 days or at 67,000mph , Solar system we live in is moving at 446,400mph and finally the Galaxy is moving at 1,332,000mph that is a total of 1,846,438mph we are moving at. We are moving in so many directions I'm starting to get veritgo, ohh crap I'm having problems standing, no I don't think it is the speed and direction we are going that is making me sick, it is the bad booze I have been drinking.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »
Invasion of the LORF: Part II, return of the LORF.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »
That doesnt make sense. That theory is wrong. Badly. You are spining East at that speed, so anything you say is traveling at that speed + it's speed on an unmoving Earth. Normally I'm not this hostile, but some of the people here need to go back to kindergarten.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:44:46 PM »
The number is about right.

Now lets see, I think you'll find the air is moving with us. In which case we'll be able o conduct sound through it.

Simple test: Go outside, then come back in.

Were there any 500+ mile per hour Easterly winds while you were out there?
img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/Akapvaious/Sensei.jpg[/img]

Re: We are all just sit'n and spinning here......
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:57:05 PM »
Quote from: "Mach1"
We are moving in so many directions I'm starting to get veritgo, ohh crap I'm having problems standing, no I don't think it is the speed and direction we are going that is making me sick, it is the bad booze I have been drinking.

No no no.  You have it backwards.  Alcohol is the antidote that gives you a glimpse of the real world.  When you feel drunk and the room looks like it's spinning, that is because the whole world is actually spinning and you're seeing it for exactly what it is.

If you buy that, I know a good deal on a certain bridge in Brooklyn.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
Scientist say we are spinning about 1,038Mph at the equator. This would mean that we are spinning faster than the speed of sound.

If we are spinning this fast, then how are we able to hear anything? The sound would always be behind us. So no way this is true that the earth is spinning this fast. It's all a lie, we really are just sitting on a flat disc and not really spinning or going anywhere.....

If that's what you think on your flat earth, how do explain we're still hearing stuff on a flat earth if we're accelerating upwards ?

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 09:22:01 AM »
All of this has to do with relative velocity of the surrounding air.  If you are in a supersonic jet, you can hear any sound within the cabin, because the air in the cabin is basically motionless with respect to you.  The reason you can't hear the roar of the engines is because the plane is travelling faster than the soundwave coming out of the engine, with respect to the air outside the plane.
nd that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
You guys really just explained what I just said, but whatever, more support against his argument!

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:30:46 AM »
Look.  It is meaningless to say that we are moving at a certain speed.  You must define what we're moving relative to.  But beside the point...EVERYTHING IS MOVING THROUGH SPACE/TIME RELATIVE TO SPACE AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT, FOR ONE (as one increases the speed of travel through space, one decreases the travel through time-that's why time dilation happens)!  It's accelerated motion that causes the problem...  and the reason, if you're wondering why you don't feel like your moving if the Earth is spinning is because...YOU DO FEEL IT!  IT'S CALLED GRAVITY!  Gravity, according to Einstien's General Relativity, IS accelerated motion.  Mass causes warps in spacetime, and accelerated motion causes the same warps becuase they are in fact, identical in outcome.  The Earth is spinning, and that's why, along with its mass, you fall if you decide to walk off a building.  The only reason you can tell when your in a car that is turning is because the car is adding accelerated motion from a different direction than what you are used to.  But there is NO SUCH THING AS ABSOLUTE REST, as thought of by classic physics.
-And about sound.  Sound must travel through a medium in order to be heard.  The medium is the air, which is traveling at a similar speed that the Earth is, just like all the people who live on it are.
The Earth rests on an Infinite stack of Turtles...
Stop raping the llamas!
I'm a platypus gynecologist, damn it!
"I once taught a rabbit to fly with only a string..." -Now

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 04:33:53 AM »
Quote from: "Pesto"
All of this has to do with relative velocity of the surrounding air.  If you are in a supersonic jet, you can hear any sound within the cabin, because the air in the cabin is basically motionless with respect to you.  The reason you can't hear the roar of the engines is because the plane is travelling faster than the soundwave coming out of the engine, with respect to the air outside the plane.

He's got the idea!  Think RELATIVE!  Everything moves relative to everything else.  There's no absolute rest, in the classical sense.
The Earth rests on an Infinite stack of Turtles...
Stop raping the llamas!
I'm a platypus gynecologist, damn it!
"I once taught a rabbit to fly with only a string..." -Now

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:58:14 AM »
Quote from: "ItRestsOnInfiniteTurtles"
Quote from: "Pesto"

He's got the idea!  Think RELATIVE!  Everything moves relative to everything else.  There's no absolute rest, in the classical sense.

True. By the way, your name is good, it's similiar to "great A'tuin" :D

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »
Quote from: "ItRestsOnInfiniteTurtles"
Look.  It is meaningless to say that we are moving at a certain speed.  You must define what we're moving relative to, etc.

You may be my new best friend.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 01:28:07 AM »

Ahh crap,  I forgot everything is relative, we are going in so many directions I get fricken confused..  Lets see I'm spinning 1 rev day or 1038mph, going around the sun every 365 days or at 67,000mph , Solar system we live in is moving at 446,400mph and finally the Galaxy is moving at 1,332,000mph that is a total of 1,846,438mph we are moving at. We are moving in so many directions I'm starting to get veritgo, ohh crap I'm having problems standing, no I don't think it is the speed and direction we are going that is making me sick, it is the bad booze I have been drinking.

It's not the earth that is moving, it's the rest of the world
he world isn't round.
The world isn't flat.
How stupid are you?
anyone should be able to see it's a cube

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
It's important to remember that sound must be conducted through a medium, and the "speed of sound" is just the speed at which a sound wave propogates through the medium of air.

That means, since the air is moving the same "speed" we are (your 1000 mph), then the sound wave will propogate at the velocity of the medium + the speed of sound in that medium..

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
Quote from: "cid"
It's important to remember that sound must be conducted through a medium, and the "speed of sound" is just the speed at which a sound wave propogates through the medium of air.

That means, since the air is moving the same "speed" we are (your 1000 mph), then the sound wave will propogate at the velocity of the medium + the speed of sound in that medium..

But then the speed of the medium is still 0mph, which means the sound still is not fast enough to reach the person travelling at 1000mph.

However the flaw in his argument is that he's giving the speed of the observer as an 'absolute' velocity (if such a thing exists) but giving the speed of sound relative to the Earth.

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Quote from: "cid"
That means, since the air is moving the same "speed" we are (your 1000 mph),

But then the speed of the medium is still 0mph,

I was trying to say the air is moving the same "absolute" speed as you are, that is to say 1000 mph with respect to whatever reference point they are being measured against.

The only velocity that matters is the difference between that of the audio souce - the person who is talking - and the velocity of the medium. In this case, that difference is 1000 - 1000 = 0.

If you were standing stationary in a room and a fan was blowing air past you at 1000 mph (relative to your position), then you would not be able to project sound against the flow of the air. This is not the case on Earth, because the air is moving with you at the same speed you are, so the difference in velocities is zero.