Why do ships start "sinking" only after they reached some distance?

• 51 Replies

gnuarm

Re: Why do ships start "sinking" only after they reached some distance?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2024, 03:36:42 PM »
Oh, lol.

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that bulma, scepti, turbo here in this forum do believe this. And many other flat earthers.

This is why I would like to find a comprehensive explanation of how the flat earth allegedly works.  I thought this web site might have some short papers on the matter, but I've not found them. 

It seems flat earthers spend much more time trying to debunk the globe earth, rather than explaining the flat earth.

You angry globularists never really look for the information you think we don't provide https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Ships%20appear%20to%20sink%20as%20they%20recede%20past%20the%20horizon

"Angry"??  What did I write that makes you think I'm angry?? 

I read the reference you provided and I can't make head nor tails of it.  It has words, and it has pictures, but none of it makes sense.  The words don't actually talk about the pictures in a useful way. 

As the boat recedes into the distance its hull is gradually and perceptively appearing closer and closer to the surface of the sea. At a far off point the hull of the ship is so close to the sea's surface that it is impossible for the observer to tell ocean from hull.

This makes no sense to me.  When I watch ships, they always appear to be in contact with the water.  I've never been unable to distinguish ship from sea.  What is being talked about here?

It has been found that the sinking ship effect effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view.

Again, I have never seen anything different through a telescope than with the naked eye.  The telescope simply makes things bigger and more clear.  In fact, when observing ships sailing away, the telescope makes it much more clear, that the lower part of the ship is being hidden from view by the curve of the earth. 

gnuarm

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2024, 04:04:56 PM »
They don't sink, they shrink.

Indeed.  Why do you make this reply without showing what you are replying to?

This is why I would like to find a comprehensive explanation of how the flat earth allegedly works.  I thought this web site might have some short papers on the matter, but I've not found them.

I imagine that I could write 500 pages on the matter, and you'd not be remotely convinced.

If you wrote 500 pages on the flat earth concept, I'm sure I would fall asleep before I read it all.  The concepts should be explainable in a few dozen pages. 

I started watching the video about gravity.  It seems to lack as many would say "scientific rigor".  Is this being proposed as a joke?  Or is anyone taking this seriously?

By scientific rigor, do we mean the "peer review" process

No, I mean enough actual analysis that it can be understood.  Mostly I see poorly drawn diagrams and little text to explain them.  The logic in the writing often makes little sense.  I mean "rigor" as in actually analyzing the thought for it to make sense.

that is essentially just stooges all agreeing that something works, rather than actually subjecting it to the repeated tests it would get if there were actual scientific method? 
https://www.vox.com/2015/12/7/9865086/peer-review-science-problems
The idea behind peer review is simple: It's supposed to weed out bad science. Peer reviewers read over promising studies that have been submitted to a journal to help gauge whether they should be published or need changes. Ideally, reviewers are experts in fields related to the studies in question. They add helpful comments, point out problems and holes, or simply reject flawed papers that shouldn't see the light of day.

The two researchers, Douglas Peters and Stephen Ceci, wanted to test how reliable and unbiased this process actually is. To do this, they selected 12 papers that had been published about two to three years earlier in extremely selective American psychology journals.

The researchers then altered the names and university affiliations on the journal manuscripts and resubmitted the papers to the same journal. In theory, these papers should have been high quality — they'd already made it into these prestigious publications. If the process worked well, the studies that were published the first time would be approved for publication again the second time around.

What Peters and Ceci found was surprising. Nearly 90 percent of the peer reviewers who looked at the resubmitted articles recommended against publication this time. In many cases, they said the articles had "serious methodological flaws."

So umm, either these were flawed theories and they got through on good reputation. Or the reviewers were horribly biased. Or both!  ;D

Meanwhile, "scientific rigor" was sorely lacking in this entire thing. Most of the people who claimed they proved Earth is round, that gravity exists, or that the Earth orbits the sun not only fails scientific rigor, as you put it, but basic logic.

This would seem to be some sort of sore point with you.  I can't address this.

1. Newton, to the best of my knowledge, never double-checked to make sure what he "discovered" wasn't in fact buoyancy or literally any other force that already existed.

Let me make this clear.  When people talk about "buoyancy" being a replacement for gravity, that makes no sense.  Buoyancy only operates in the presence of gravity.  It is gravity that pulls on both the medium and the object, with the result of the more dense one falling and the less dense one rising.  This does not happen when in weightlessness, because there is no effect from gravity.

2. Eratothenes literally just drew shadows with a fucking stick.

Well, he didn't "draw" shadows.  He set in the ground, two vertical rods to cast shadows.  I think you know how the experiment works. 

Oh but then he found out that at noon, it cast a shadow in Syene but not Alexandria "proving the Earth curved." But we have no fucking idea what was around him. Syene (modern day Aswan) is near a river bank. Maybe light was refracted from the water.

OMG!  Yes, he was probably watching a boat sail on the river and let the light reflecting light onto the stick.  But wait, how would the light from the river, rise up over the bank, then come back down to shine on the stick and cast a shadow? 

If this is your level of denial, I don't think I can help you.  Do you really think no one has made this measurement since?

Since I have been in multiple areas across Earth at noon, more likely, he was in a different part of a timezone. In other words, rather than proving a curve, he simply proved that the area he thought was noon was not actually noon (ergo, he was a dumbass who could have used a sundial). More importantly, he at best proved Earth was a disc, not a sphere.

3. The silhouette on the moon is round supposedly proving Earth is a sphere because it shows Earth's silhouette. Once again, scientific rigor? I can disprove this with a square table (representing the Earth, even though the Earth is not square), a lamp, a flashlight, and a rounded object. I can probably put the ball above (with the lamp) or below (with the flashlight) the light, and in both cases, I get a circular shadow. I do not see the silhouette of the table, unless looking at the ceiling. Hint: people on Earth do not see the Earth's silhouette, they see the moon's silhouette.

Sorry, your description is too poor for me to visualize it.  What does the shape of the table have to do with anything??

RE Heliocentric Gravitational Theory is severely lacking in logic and scientific rigor. It's a series of assumptions based on faulty reasoning.

There is no such thing as "Heliocentric Gravitational Theory".  There is just gravity, which is very well understood. 

What is not well understood, is the flat earth theory.  This conversation has gone like most conversations with flat earth proponents.  It becomes flat earth vs. globe earth.  I'm not looking for anyone to disprove  the globe earth.  I'm just looking for a clear description of the flat earth... with scientific rigor.   

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2024, 08:20:18 PM »
I dunno what to tell you, Data.

You also claim a video you will not post.

Where I posted a full video with supporting gifs that in no way repeat your suspect dot that suspiciously has no noise like the dot I drew on your photo…

The dot you drew on my photo.

The dot you drew.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/a7Fcku8LpztO/

An actual video I made the day of the eclipse (I don't have Youtube thanks to Google's stupid login rules). Instead of the dot you drew.

Which has nothing to do with you using a video soundly debunked.  You’re stuck using old lies bulmabriefs144.  Then have the ignorance to act like your old lies haven’t been soundly and repeatedly been debunked. 

And what about your lies? They were old before I was born.

I've been hearing that Flat Earth was debunked since I was a child.

Only Flat Earth has become rebunked, so to speak. Also, you're using that video, which is not the one mentioned earlier.

That would be this one.

"I added these dots to your picture, and then quoted the wrong video."

Yes, you showed me!

No bulma, you seem to keep forgetting what I said. Go relearn geometry. Learn about the nature of shadows

Maybe you should.

Here is a kid's video clip. Do you notice anything? How about the angle?

The shadow from above hits the object and casts a shadow about 90 to 110 degrees from where it hits, traveling along the ground.  Now, look at this picture again.

In the second picture, nothing at all casts light on the moon, which does a perfect reflection of shadow back to Earth to show red light. If you believe this, I have a bridge to sell you. In the first picture, if the moon were bigger and in the right position, this would be a lunar eclipse, not a solar eclipse. Neither one of these pictures is correct, and had you properly studied geometry, you would understand this. Further, as I mentioned before, this is not an eclipse in picture 2. It's a regular full moon.

So. The kid's video. I noticed many things. One, they're using a round earth model. But also, it's animated. It's human constructed. I can make a kid's animation showing how humans can fly and all. Instead, show me actual, real world images of shadow examples you provided.

And second, you absolutely butchered your english. Or, should I say logic? Whatever. I mean, look:
"Shadow from above hits an object" where in the world did you invent a shadow flashlight?

"Shadow from above hits an object and casts a shadow" what is casting the shadow? From how your sentence is structured, you're literally saying "shadow casts a shadow". Like, what?

Seriously, go actually learn geometry.
Once you do, learn about eclipses. Here's a good video to start with
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2024, 07:22:06 AM »

Here is a kid's video clip. Do you notice anything? How about the angle?

The shadow from above hits the object and casts a shadow about 90 to 110 degrees from where it hits, traveling along the ground. 

Real footage of how shadows work because the earth is spherical…

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:24:36 AM by DataOverFlow2022 »

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2024, 09:48:43 AM »
...had you properly studied geometry, you would understand this.

...nothing at all casts light on the moon, which does a perfect reflection of shadow back to Earth to show red light.

Amazing

From the guy who says pi needs to be rounded up to 4 or down to 3 says shadows are reflected light.

So fluid pressure graidents also push down.
And shadows are reflections.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:53:18 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2024, 12:03:58 PM »
There is a person on YouTube,
Jos Leys? The individual likes to do computer models and set them to music. 

The individual also shows flat earth modeling vs reality.  Usually for sun and shadows.

Debunking flat Earth using only a stick.

The below video by the same person shows the actual path the stick shadow traveled in France for a time around the equinox.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2024, 04:39:56 PM »

"There must be something wrong!"

A sure sign that you are doing a faulty experiment.

What seems to be wrong is that sun is only casting shadows in straight lines. Not spheres or arcs. Hmmmm...

Remember my parabola theory which you said couldn't possibly by the case? Yet here we have all these domed circles operating in straight lines from each other. But we can't get light to arc around like it should on a sphere. Golly, there must be something wrong!

One, they're using a round earth model. But also, it's animated. It's human constructed. I can make a kid's animation showing how humans can fly and all. Instead, show me actual, real world images of shadow examples you provided.

Yeah, I imagine it was. So what? Is the picture the showed accurate? Yes.
Is round Earth true? No, I don't think it is.
But the film Absence of Malice that I saw in high school journalism taught use that because something isn't true, so long as there are accurate points to it, we use those accurate points. So yes, I don't mind using RE videos, so long as they demonstrate something relevant.

Btw, you can make a live action video making people fly around, too.

See?

Tell you what, since both animation and live action can both be fake, why don't you take a day off from whatever school or work you have (assuming you are not a paid troll), and go out an record a time lapse of how shadow is cast? These shadows will turn out pretty similar to the picture I picked.

Quote from: Themightykabool
crazy people don't know they're crazy.

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2024, 05:45:04 PM »

What seems to be wrong is that sun is only casting shadows in straight lines. Not spheres or arcs. Hmmmm...

Remember my parabola theory which you said couldn't possibly by the case?

No.  This is back to the sun on a flat would have to visibly turn in the sky to complete its circuit.  This would result in the shadow of the stick circling about the stick.

Because the spherical earth rotates about its axis and orbits the sun,

The shadow for the stick in France near equinox was almost a straight line.

The sun doesn’t visible turn in its course because the sun doesn’t circle the earth.

Explains why the sun doesn’t change  apparent size.

Explains why the sun becomes physically blocked from view where a telescope that can bring stars to faint to be seen with the naked eye into view can’t bring the sun back into view after the sun sets. 

Game over for FE
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:47:04 PM by DataOverFlow2022 »

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2024, 05:58:15 PM »

Almost a straight line...

Like this? There seem to be plenty of straight lines here.

On the other hand...

This is not a straight line, as I discovered trying to get it to conform to this globe. I had to draw three separate arced lines, in fact.

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2024, 06:24:26 PM »

On the other hand...

This is not a straight line, as I discovered trying to get it to conform to this globe. I had to draw three separate arced lines, in fact.

Your babbling.

Can you actually address the issues of a sun circling above a flat earth.

This is back to the sun on a flat would have to visibly turn in the sky to complete its circuit.  This would result in the shadow of the stick circling about the stick.

The shadow for the stick in France near equinox was almost a straight line.  With a sun that goes straight from east to west with no visible turn as required for a circular orbit.

The sun doesn’t visible turn in its course because the sun doesn’t circle the earth.

Explains why the sun becomes physically blocked from view where a telescope that can bring stars to faint to be seen with the naked eye into view can’t bring the sun back into view after the sun sets.

Game over for FE

JackBlack

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2024, 01:22:55 AM »
An experiment not showing Earth is flat does not mean it is faulty, no matter how much you want to pretend.
The "something wrong" is using a FE model.

What seems to be wrong is that sun is only casting shadows in straight lines. Not spheres or arcs.
And why does that seem wrong?
And how would you expect the path of the tip of the shadow on a small portion of Earth's surface, to be a sphere?

Remember my parabola theory which you said couldn't possibly by the case? Yet here we have all these domed circles operating in straight lines from each other. But we can't get light to arc around like it should on a sphere. Golly, there must be something wrong!
No, you can't get the circles you would expect on a FLAT EARTH! Instead, we get the results we would expect for a spherical Earth.

Yeah, I imagine it was. So what? Is the picture the showed accurate? Yes.
No. It is a simplification for children.

Is round Earth true? No, I don't think it is.
Yet there are mountains of evidence showing Earth is round; you cannot show a single fault with the RE model and need to resort to lying about it to pretend there are faults; you outright ignore many problems for the FE, and you cannot defend the FE at all.

Tell you what, since both animation and live action can both be fake, why don't you take a day off from whatever school or work you have (assuming you are not a paid troll), and go out an record a time lapse of how shadow is cast?
To show you are wrong and have you dismiss it as fake?
What would be the point of that?

Yet the shadow produced should NOT be straight.
This is not hard to understand.

On the other hand...
This is not a straight line
Which does not mean the shadow will not be.

Yet again, you entirely ignore the argument and just spout crap.

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2024, 05:45:53 AM »

On the other hand...

Your babbling.

This is back to the sun on a flat would have to visibly turn in the sky to complete its circuit.  This would result in the shadow of the stick circling about the stick.

The shadow for the stick in France near equinox was almost a straight line.  With a sun that goes straight from east to west with no visible turn as required for a circular orbit.

Game over for FE

Gameover man, gameover!!!!

Yes, so if you try to walk or drive or anything else east, what happens? It appears to be a completely straight line. You hop on a boat, and go from east coast US to Spain in the sam latitude, straight line. From Spain, without changing latitude, you hit Italy, Turkey, part of Iran, some of the -Stans, China, then it's a straight line to west coast US, and a straight line back to east coast US where I started.

It you draw a straight line until it comes back upon itself, you get a circle (a disc really). To prove a sphere, you have to be able to do the same with not only the North Pole (which is the center on FE), but the South Pole (which would be the edge on FE). You have to prove the the south is not likewise looped to make Earth a sphere.

But of course, non-VIPs like me don't get to fly to South Pole to see if you can fly through. "It's easy to do!" you say, with a huge amount of privilege., while I look at $30k pricetags. Sorry, $62k, I must've lowballed it.
https://www.swoop-antarctica.com/adventures/south-pole/fly
 And then you show me some flight plan from Chile to New Zealand, which when I check later, I find out was cancelled because... reasons. What reasons? Well they're... extremely vague.

You keep telling everyone it's gameover, but I'm still playing. You haven't debunked anything. Again.

So yes, you can see the sun's path in a straight line but it disappears as the straight line bends around a corner. No, line of sight is not infinite, but it's substantially different from the sort of viewpoint we'd get looking at the sun from  the side of a sphere.
Meanwhile, you might want to explain the strange secrecy when people try to explore the south. It's a simple question. If the public has nothing hidden from them, they can easily open flights to Antarctica for free, so people can see for themselves. Instead, they tell you again and again the sort of nonsense doubletalk that is "no you don't need a permit to visit Antarctica! Don't be absurd! It's not a nation, it's free for all to enter! But you'll need alot of money. And a fur coat or ten. And permission from host countries. And you can't go here, here, or here because those poor seals or penguins. And this area is a scientific zone. And this area is a protected historical zone. And these areas you'll need a passport from another country because it's property of Portugal. Or Spain. Or Norway. And when you were thinking of flying over Antarctica, you can't because the South Pole is a no fly zone. You're allowed to fly across the edge of Antarctica, but by 'edge' we mean miles away."
https://www.antarcticacruises.com/guide/do-you-need-a-passport-visa-or-permit-to-go-to-antarctica
Citizens of countries that are party to the Antarctic Treaty—which now includes more than 50—need a permit to visit Antarctica: a requirement established in 1998 with the Treaty’s Protocol on Environmental Protection adoption. But most visitors don’t have to really worry about how to get permission to go to Antarctica, because tour operators typically take care of the requisite permits. Folks who are taking the uncommon route of an independent trip to Antarctica, though, need to make sure they obtain permission.

Those residing in nations that aren’t party to the Antarctic Treaty might technically not need a permit to visit Antarctica, but there’s a catch: If they’re traveling via a tour operator based out of a country that is party to the Treaty, they will need a permit regardless of their citizenship. (Again, though, the tour company is almost assuredly taking care of that permission.)
It should be noted that the permits obtained by tour operators don’t provide you with unrestricted access. Travel on the Antarctic continent is highly regulated and restricted: a good thing not only for protecting the White Continent’s ecosystem, but also visitors themselves.
Kinda sounds like, "If you stray off the trail, you get shot," doesn't it?

Yeah uhhh, there are other environmental zones on Earth, but we are able to fly over them. I was able to fly past multiple African countries to get to South Africa. I was able to fly through Russia to visit China. So until you address why all the secrecy, I'm afraid the game is over. For you.

I can explain how the line becomes a circle while appearing straight. But you can't explain why the very area the would put to be all discussion of FE and RE to bed is off-limits. Unless the truth is already discovered, and those in power don't want us to know it. Since those in power are ppl in NASA and other acronyms, I have my answer.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2024, 06:09:18 AM »

On the other hand...

Your babbling.

Game over for FE

Yes, so if you try to walk or drive or anything else east, what happens? It appears to be a completely straight line. You hop on a boat, and go from east coast US to Spain in the sam latitude, straight line. From Spain, without changing latitude, you hit Italy, Turkey, part of Iran, some of the -Stans, China, then it's a straight line to west coast US, and a straight line back to east coast US where I started.

It you draw a straight line until it comes back upon itself, you get a circle (a disc really). To prove a sphere, you have to be able to do the same with not only the North Pole (which is the center on FE), but the South Pole (which would be the edge on FE). You have to prove the the south is not likewise looped to make Earth a sphere.

But of course, non-VIPs like me don't get to fly to South Pole to see if you can fly through. "It's easy to do!" you say, with a huge amount of privilege., while I look at $30k pricetags. Sorry, $62k, I must've lowballed it.
https://www.swoop-antarctica.com/adventures/south-pole/fly
 And then you show me some flight plan from Chile to New Zealand, which when I check later, I find out was cancelled because... reasons. What reasons? Well they're... extremely vague.

You keep telling everyone it's gameover, but I'm still playing. You haven't debunked anything. Again.

So yes, you can see the sun's path in a straight line but it disappears as the straight line bends around a corner. No, line of sight is not infinite, but it's substantially different from the sort of viewpoint we'd get looking at the sun from  the side of a sphere.
Meanwhile, you might want to explain the strange secrecy when people try to explore the south. It's a simple question. If the public has nothing hidden from them, they can easily open flights to Antarctica for free, so people can see for themselves. Instead, they tell you again and again the sort of nonsense doubletalk that is "no you don't need a permit to visit Antarctica! Don't be absurd! It's not a nation, it's free for all to enter! But you'll need alot of money. And a fur coat or ten. And permission from host countries. And you can't go here, here, or here because those poor seals or penguins. And this area is a scientific zone. And this area is a protected historical zone. And these areas you'll need a passport from another country because it's property of Portugal. Or Spain. Or Norway. And when you were thinking of flying over Antarctica, you can't because the South Pole is a no fly zone. You're allowed to fly across the edge of Antarctica, but by 'edge' we mean miles away."
https://www.antarcticacruises.com/guide/do-you-need-a-passport-visa-or-permit-to-go-to-antarctica
Citizens of countries that are party to the Antarctic Treaty—which now includes more than 50—need a permit to visit Antarctica: a requirement established in 1998 with the Treaty’s Protocol on Environmental Protection adoption. But most visitors don’t have to really worry about how to get permission to go to Antarctica, because tour operators typically take care of the requisite permits. Folks who are taking the uncommon route of an independent trip to Antarctica, though, need to make sure they obtain permission.

Those residing in nations that aren’t party to the Antarctic Treaty might technically not need a permit to visit Antarctica, but there’s a catch: If they’re traveling via a tour operator based out of a country that is party to the Treaty, they will need a permit regardless of their citizenship. (Again, though, the tour company is almost assuredly taking care of that permission.)
It should be noted that the permits obtained by tour operators don’t provide you with unrestricted access. Travel on the Antarctic continent is highly regulated and restricted: a good thing not only for protecting the White Continent’s ecosystem, but also visitors themselves.
Kinda sounds like, "If you stray off the trail, you get shot," doesn't it?

Yeah uhhh, there are other environmental zones on Earth, but we are able to fly over them. I was able to fly past multiple African countries to get to South Africa. I was able to fly through Russia to visit China. So until you address why all the secrecy, I'm afraid the game is over. For you.

I can explain how the line becomes a circle while appearing straight. But you can't explain why the very area the would put to be all discussion of FE and RE to bed is off-limits. Unless the truth is already discovered, and those in power don't want us to know it. Since those in power are ppl in NASA and other acronyms, I have my answer.

No, bulma, you do not need to go to Antarctica to prove the earth is round. All you need is a dip circle and you need to go to a place below the equator, say, argentina or Australia.

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2024, 07:19:07 AM »

Yes,

You’re babbling and spamming the thread.

This is back to the sun on a flat earth would have to visibly turn in the sky to complete its circuit.  This would result in the shadow of the stick circling about the stick.

The sun doesn’t visibly turn in its course because the sun doesn’t circle the earth.

Game over for FE

« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:21:30 AM by DataOverFlow2022 »

JackBlack

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2024, 04:14:14 PM »
For you, yes, as you deflect yet again at all costs because you can't address what has happened.

Yes, so if you try to walk or drive or anything else east, what happens?
Forget about you doing it and instead consider someone watching you do it that can see you for over 10 000 km.

It you draw a straight line until it comes back upon itself
You can't.

To prove a sphere, you have to be able to do the same with not only the North Pole (which is the center on FE), but the South Pole (which would be the edge on FE).
That is one way of many, and you can, and you don't even need to go to the south pole to do it. Just do it at night keeping the south celestial pole to one side.
But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

So yes, you can see the sun's path in a straight line
Even though it should have curved quite dramatically.

it's substantially different from the sort of viewpoint we'd get looking at the sun from  the side of a sphere.
Yes, a FE and RE do produce different views. The RE matches reality, as shown by the video.

easily open flights to Antarctica for free
So you want free flights?
Why should they do that?
Who would pay?
Your BS is quite clearly BS.
If you want that, why don't YOU go offer it.
Go start an airline and give everyone free flights.

But again, this has nothing to do with the topic.

I can explain how the line becomes a circle while appearing straight.
No, you can't, as you jump to a completely different line.
Focus on the line traced by the tip of the shadow.
Can you explain that?

But you can't explain why the very area the would put to be all discussion of FE and RE to bed is off-limits.
It isn't, and it wouldn't.
Lying scum like you would still reject it even if you were at the south pole, because you have already made up your mind to reject the truth at all costs.

Now again, care to explain the shadow?
Or why ships appear to sink?
Or any of the multitude of things which prove Earth isn't flat?

Of course not, because you can't.

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2024, 06:56:44 AM »

No, bulma, you do not need to go to Antarctica to prove the earth is round. All you need is a dip circle and you need to go to a place below the equator, say, argentina or Australia.

And you think that proves anything. These dip circles are stupid. "Dip circles measure the magnetic dip..."

I have a ba gua magnetic compass that I bought in China, that I pulled the cheap sticky paper off. The magnet stone dropped out, and was like "that's lame, it's cooler without this thing." So now I have the world's weakest compass, which ironically points me straight to the truth. Compasses work based on the interplay between three magnets: the magnetic (or often, magnetized metal) needle, the magnetic stone inside the compass (optional, usually for the cheaper magnetized metal needle), and the North Pole. When I took out the magnet inside this compass, it dipped because its own magnetism wasn't very strong. My point? I'm getting there.

If I go far away from the center (North Pole), magnetism gets weaker and weaker. Compasses that point north south of the equator must be specially made. It's not because the South Pole is pulling at it, it's because electromagnetism has a range limit. If you are in a magnetic zone, your compass will turn in circles, alerting you to the presence of magnetic rocks. But you can move away from that zone, and magnetism will normalize.

No, sorry, you do have to visit the South Pole.

I do not. My proof is the reluctance to allow such a visit.

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2024, 07:57:56 AM »

And you think that proves anything.

Yeah.  It does

Also the celestial South Pole and while a dial atlas of the southern constellations is accurate.

And also the sun…

Debunking flat Earth using only a stick.

This is back to the sun on a flat earth would have to visibly turn in the sky to complete its circuit.  This would result in the shadow of a stick circling about the stick.

The sun doesn’t visibly turn in its course because the sun doesn’t circle the earth.

Game over for FE

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2024, 08:07:01 AM »

And you think that proves anything. These dip circles are stupid. "Dip circles measure the magnetic dip..."

I have a ba gua magnetic compass that I bought in China, that I pulled the cheap sticky paper off. The magnet stone dropped out, and was like "that's lame, it's cooler without this thing." So now I have the world's weakest compass, which ironically points me straight to the truth. Compasses work based on the interplay between three magnets: the magnetic (or often, magnetized metal) needle, the magnetic stone inside the compass (optional, usually for the cheaper magnetized metal needle), and the North Pole. When I took out the magnet inside this compass, it dipped because its own magnetism wasn't very strong. My point? I'm getting there.

If I go far away from the center (North Pole), magnetism gets weaker and weaker. Compasses that point north south of the equator must be specially made. It's not because the South Pole is pulling at it, it's because electromagnetism has a range limit. If you are in a magnetic zone, your compass will turn in circles, alerting you to the presence of magnetic rocks. But you can move away from that zone, and magnetism will normalize.

No, compasses work on two things - earth's magnetism and the compass' magnet.

And dip circles are not just any compasses. They are extremely sensitive - in the sense, the rotating axle is nearly frictionless.

But, since you claim that my picture is wrong, why don't you draw a flat earth and how the magnetic field lines pass through and around the flat earth?

JackBlack

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2024, 03:52:28 PM »
My point?
You bought cheap junk and are trying to use it to entirely ignore the topic.

Compasses that point north south of the equator must be specially made.
Only those trying to balance the magnet with the dip.
Because the magnetic field lines are not parallel to the surface of Earth.

No I don't, as there is already plenty of proof that Earth is round.

That is just proof of your dishonesty. You can go. No one is stopping you.

gnuarm

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2024, 04:19:34 PM »
My point?
You bought cheap junk and are trying to use it to entirely ignore the topic.

Compasses that point north south of the equator must be specially made.
Only those trying to balance the magnet with the dip.
Because the magnetic field lines are not parallel to the surface of Earth.

No I don't, as there is already plenty of proof that Earth is round.

That is just proof of your dishonesty. You can go. No one is stopping you.

There is a station at the south pole.  We can't do that at the north pole, because there's no land beneath.  Well, not that rises above the water.

https://www.nsf.gov/geo/opp/support/southp.jsp

I wonder if they have seen the ice wall?

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2024, 09:11:54 AM »
Yeah uhhh, it doesn't even make any sense. Let's discuss why.

Contradiction 1......
I see the problem.  You apparently have no understanding of this subject.  Perhaps watch some videos on how eclipses, shadows, and moon phases work.

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2024, 09:29:24 AM »
You angry globularists never really look for the information you think we don't provide https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Ships%20appear%20to%20sink%20as%20they%20recede%20past%20the%20horizon

Why wasn't an orthographic diagram used for that 3rd one, to actually show what happens to the line of sight?