Flat Earth Belief

• 11 Replies
?

Cameron 1964

• On the run from the Illuminati
Flat Earth Belief
« on: March 14, 2024, 05:58:13 AM »
I am new to this and trying to understand the belief in a flat earth in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I don't want to argue about it, just gain understanding.
I assume many of you don't really believe it, but enjoy sending people like jack black into hysterics trying to convince you otherwise.
But some of you are true believers?
Is it from religious backgrounds?
A mistrust of science?
A belief in global conspiracy?
What is the motivation for such a conspiracy to keep the public fooled about the nature of the earth?
And does that mean you don't believe in any modern science? Like astronomy, nuclear physics or quantum mechanics?
Just curious.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Re: Flat Earth Belief
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 03:27:08 PM »
but enjoy sending people like jack black into hysterics trying to convince you otherwise.

its called debate lol and almost always they throw insults first

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 09:08:40 PM »
I see from the forums there's really not much debate. Unless you consider flat denial debate.
' I'm here for an argument.'
"No you're not!"

I just don't understand this FE thing.
I get arguments against the big bang theory and the age of the universe., etc
This I can't wrap my head around.

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 05:32:29 PM »
Did anyone watch the Space-X Starship launch.
Some pretty impressive footage until the thing failed in reentry. A suborbital flight.
Maybe next try it'll get to orbit.
Some nice shots of Earth in the background too. 🌎

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 06:35:21 AM »
Seems too easy to prove, so why don't the FE folks provide proof.
Sail to the ice wall and measure it's length. Or climb up it and knock on the terrarium cover.
Or fly a balloon to the roof.
Easy peasy. Prove all the RE people wrong.

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 03:01:23 PM »
I recently read about one of those laser experiments on some lake.
When the results showed the lake is not flat,  they claimed there was something wrong with the set-up. I'm guessing that's the conclusion of any test run . . "something is wrong the world is flat "

JackBlack

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 02:54:24 AM »
When the results showed the lake is not flat,  they claimed there was something wrong with the set-up. I'm guessing that's the conclusion of any test run . . "something is wrong the world is flat "
Yes, and likewise if any "evidence" provided by someone else shows Earth isn't flat, then they must be lying.
And if an observation anyone can make shows Earth is round, then it clearly must happen on a FE, like the BS magic perspective which magically makes things disappear from the bottom up just like you would expect curvature to do.

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 07:07:01 PM »
I wonder how FE model addresses solar storms and Aurora at the poles or even closer to the equator, New England being closer to the equator anyway.
How does the sun 12km away blast the whole planet with some million GW of energy simultaneously around half the planet?
Hmmm...

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 03:42:09 AM »
All I care about is how does great circle navigation work in a flat earth? In fact, I don't think I've seen a single perfectly to-scale flat earth map which correctly corresponds to travel time by airplanes.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 03:55:25 AM »
Yes, and likewise if any "evidence" provided by someone else shows Earth isn't flat, then they must be lying.
And if an observation anyone can make shows Earth is round, then it clearly must happen on a FE, like the BS magic perspective which magically makes things disappear from the bottom up just like you would expect curvature to do.
The problem with flat earthers is that they skipped too much of middle school and high school. And they think they are knowledgeable, read scientific papers/articles [which may or may not be true] and take quotes completely out of context and present it as undeniable "proof" that the earth is flat. Just came from a post of bulmabriefs saying "Gravity is an invention." after reading this article: https://www.sciencenordic.com/denmark-forskerzonen-physics/gravity-it-is-all-in-your-head/1453728
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

?

Cameron 1964

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 08:57:30 AM »
EarthisRotund,
Or perhaps the concepts alluded them.
After all it might not seem intuitive that the shortest distance between two points on the surface of the earth is a circular arc, not a straight line. Thus ships and planes travel on great circles.

gnuarm

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 04:05:56 AM »

I started my interest on YouTube with some of the debunking videos.  In one of them, the speaker talked about a flat earther using some device that would show the change in orientation if the earth were rotating.  It  showed around 15 degrees per hour, which is the same as a 24 hour cycle of 360 degrees.  The flat earther claimed the device was not accurate enough and spent a few thousand on a high accuracy device.  It also showed 15 degrees per hour.  The flat earther stopped talking about that experiment.

I guess that's why flat earthers don't actually have a good model of how a flat earth works.  It doesn't.