So, there are all those "fake" pictures of the "round Earth"...

• 63 Replies
?

juulliiiieeee

Can I see a "real" picture of the "flat Earth"?

:D

Re: So, there are all those "fake" pictures of the "round Earth"...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »
Q: "Why has no one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"

A: Only those connected to the Conspiracy have access to heights from which the shape of the Earth can be discerned.  Also, nobody has been to the edge of the Earth and lived; conditions on the Ice Wall get increasingly treacherous the further you get out, and navigation methods become unreliable that far south.  It is also possible that the Conspiracy is guarding the edge to prevent people from getting too close to the truth.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
Since there are no genuine pictures of the real Earth, what does that mean in terms of what is actually on the Earth? Is there some Pangaea floating out there that no one has gone to and cataloged because of the conspiracy?

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
No. You just have to take their word for it that the Earth is flat and just believe it.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
No. You just have to take their word for it that the Earth is flat and just believe it.

As long as I also get to believe in Space Dragons I am happy.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:16:01 PM »
Space dragons are awesome

?

Jesus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »
The Earth is flat.

W

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

Or you could actually think things through and realize that a flat earth is the only logical conclusion.
If you say that the earth is flat, you are destroying centuries of evolution.

?

Fink

• Personal Sext
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:12 PM »
I have pictures of FE. they are not cheap though.
Earth is what?! Goes WHERE!?

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »

Or you could actually think things through and realize that a flat earth is the only logical conclusion.

I'm incredibly simple. Help me think things through and tell me more about logic.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »

A: Only those connected to the Conspiracy have access to heights from which the shape of the Earth can be discerned.  Also, nobody has been to the edge of the Earth and lived; conditions on the Ice Wall get increasingly treacherous the further you get out, and navigation methods become unreliable that far south.  It is also possible that the Conspiracy is guarding the edge to prevent people from getting too close to the truth.

That's only the biggest cop-out ever, one used by every nutjob for whatever cockamamie theory they desperately cling to.  It negates their need for solid evidence and excuses them from scientific method.  All they say is "we can't prove it, the conspiracy is stopping us" and expect the rest of us to move on as though that's the end of the scientific queries??

Proof, please. 

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 05:56:57 AM »
If we had proof of The Conspiracy, we would have brought it down by now.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

W

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »

I'm incredibly simple. Help me think things through and tell me more about logic.

I'd start with Earth Not A Globe. He has simple experiments that you can recreate yourself proving the shape of the earth. The full text is free online here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/index.htm

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »

I'd start with Earth Not A Globe. He has simple experiments that you can recreate yourself proving the shape of the earth. The full text is free online here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/index.htm

Yeah, I looked at that and I used logic to decide it was bunk as he misrepresented many, many things, didn't measure many things that would factor in, and so on. Oh, I also found this in a critical analysis:

Quote from: Laurence A. Marschall
Garwood's flat-Earthers employ a peculiar brand of inverted logic to bulwark their odd beliefs. Samuel Rowbotham, who lectured and wrote widely about the flat Earth in the mid-1800s under the pseudonym "Parallax," described the Earth as a flat, stationary disk centered on the North Pole, ringed at its outer edges by an impenetrable barrier of ice. The Sun circled overhead, only a few hundred miles up, and the Moon and stars were luminous bodies not much farther away. If challenged during a speech, Rowbotham would confidently cite abstruse technicalities or invent spurious data. What caused day and night if the Earth did not turn? The "expansion and contraction of the solar path" and a "special law of perspective." Since we can't see the North Star from south of the equator, isn't the Earth round? Not so: on 23 January, 1862, the North Star was seen from a spot 23 degrees south of the equator. The speaker's resolve in the face of tough counterclaims was enough to persuade at least a few members of his audience.

Citation: Marschall, Laurence A. "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea.(Book review)." Natural History 117.7 (Sept 2008): 36(2).

Huh, I will agree that most of what he said was fairly spurious.

W

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »

Yeah, I looked at that and I used logic to decide it was bunk as he misrepresented many, many things, didn't measure many things that would factor in, and so on. Oh, I also found this in a critical analysis:

Garwood's flat-Earthers employ a peculiar brand of inverted logic to bulwark their odd beliefs. Samuel Rowbotham, who lectured and wrote widely about the flat Earth in the mid-1800s under the pseudonym "Parallax," described the Earth as a flat, stationary disk centered on the North Pole, ringed at its outer edges by an impenetrable barrier of ice. The Sun circled overhead, only a few hundred miles up, and the Moon and stars were luminous bodies not much farther away. If challenged during a speech, Rowbotham would confidently cite abstruse technicalities or invent spurious data. What caused day and night if the Earth did not turn? The "expansion and contraction of the solar path" and a "special law of perspective." Since we can't see the North Star from south of the equator, isn't the Earth round? Not so: on 23 January, 1862, the North Star was seen from a spot 23 degrees south of the equator. The speaker's resolve in the face of tough counterclaims was enough to persuade at least a few members of his audience.

Citation: Marschall, Laurence A. "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea.(Book review)." Natural History 117.7 (Sept 2008): 36(2).

Well, I respect your beliefs, but mine happen to differ. A flat earth is what makes sense in my eyes, and I don't believe what he said was spurious at all. I think he was a very intelligent man and it's a shame he's being remembered like this.

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 01:35:34 PM »
And I'll respect that. I'm just saying you'll have to do a whole lot better than that book to convince me.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »

Well, I respect your beliefs, but mine happen to differ. A flat earth is what makes sense in my eyes, and I don't believe what he said was spurious at all. I think he was a very intelligent man and it's a shame he's being remembered like this.

Well that's because you're a retard.

Hey, I never said I respected YOUR cockamamie bullshit beliefs.  Rowbotham is rightly remembered as a fucking looney, because that's what he was.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »
Wait, I just read the quote again because something bugged me. Was Rowbotham's model significantly different from the model used on this site? He said that it's centered on the North Pole, wouldn't that have implications for the  model y'all are using?

?

KatiePipkin

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

Several people did recreate his experiments and got results that did indeed prove the shape of the earth. They showed it was round. See one of the other current threads for references etc, I'm not digging them out again here before someone starts demanding it.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

Hey, I never said I respected YOUR cockamamie bullshit beliefs.  Rowbotham is rightly remembered as a fucking looney, because that's what he was.

Please watch your language in the serious forums.  Despite what you may think, some of us like to engage in an intelligent debate, even if the topic is silly.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
intelligent my ass, whoever takes this website seriously is a fucking dipshit....

unless it's a troll website, then it's funny as shit

You, obviously, are not very familiar with SCIENCE.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »

Enjoy your time off.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

zork

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:49 AM »
And I'll respect that. I'm just saying you'll have to do a whole lot better than that book to convince me.
It's really respectable because he had this belief since the age of four. Or he just haven't evolved much since... Who knows.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

?

Anorthosite

• Riding the crest of the awesomeness of the Hoff
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »

All of which don't work if bendy light exists, something that must exist according to the FE'ers when I mention the clouds.

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
All of which don't work if bendy light exists, something that must exist according to the FE'ers when I mention the clouds.

They are selective followers of Descartes. That is to say they need tactile and first-hand proof that something exists unless it can further explain their ideas or serves other purposes of theirs.

ShnitzelKiller

• Everything not in front of your eyes doesn't exist
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »

Didn't someone else say all space flight was faked altogether?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
The Earth is flat.

Holy shit....Jesus wasn't used yet?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »
The Earth is flat.

Holy shit....Jesus wasn't used yet?

I know, I was surprised. Satan was also only recently taken. I bet there's a lot of other seemingly obvious names that are still up for grabs. Could be to do with Daniel's clearout though.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 05:04:25 AM »

What?!
Are you kidding me? Hot air balloons go high enough to be able to see the curvature of the earth.
But you're right, only the NASA higher ups have hot air balloons... or jets... or bottle rockets... And only they have ever climbed a mountain...

You don't need to go that high to see the curve of the earth, sir.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »
What you are seeing at that height is not the curvature of the Earth.