Theory of flat Earth, Life and Everything

• 3 Replies

gnuarm

Theory of flat Earth, Life and Everything
« on: April 22, 2024, 11:27:46 PM »
I've been trying to learn about the flat earth from watching videos on YouTube.  That's not so productive, because they seem to either by from denialists "proving" some claim of the flat earth to be false, or... a very few videos using one microfact to prove the globe earth false. 

Nowhere, have I seen a coherent explanation of how the flat earth model works and how it would be different from the globe earth model. 

Is there a simple description of the flat earth model someplace?  I'm not looking for a library of books.  I would love to find a Reader's Digest size article that, instead of trying to disprove a globe earth, simply describes how the flat earth operates.  I would like enough rigor to actually show (for example) how the phases of the moon work and a simple thing such as the sun set. 

Does this exist anywhere? 

gnuarm

Re: Theory of flat Earth, Life and Everything
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 03:47:37 AM »
I found the flat earth FAQ here and read it.  I am not impressed.  The part I'm probably most interested in is the motions of the sun and moon.  This FAQ doesn't even mention the moon.  It does mention the sun, but not in a way that is useful.  It simply describes the sun orbiting the North Pole in a variable orbit, shining on the earth like a flashlight.  This would seem to allow for day and night, but not in a way that lends itself to any mathematical calculations.  So, I guess I would say, I'm not impressed.

The first posting by Jack seems to say that there are many models of flat earths, with much disagreement on the details. 

Most of what I read in the FAQ, I have seen before elsewhere.  I was hoping for something with a bit more rigor.  Something that  explains how the sun and moon can orbit above the flat earth without falling to the earth.  I've read that some people think there is no gravity, that things just naturally fall, or that the flat earth is being accelerated at the rate which we have measured and explained by gravity of the earth. 

I guess I'm a bit frustrated.  So much of the flat earth description I've found was from detractors, which I'm not inclined to accept as accurate.  But, so far, the only material from flat earthers have been the same. 

It appears that the flat earthers have yet to even produce a description of how the flat earth model works, much less prove it. 

In particular, various experiments to "prove" the earth is flat, seem to be conducted in ways that will prove what you want it to prove.  Even when different parties talk about the results online, it seems to reach an impasse and the conversation ends. 

So, maybe I'll end my flat earth efforts and worry with more important things, like verifying the moon landings were real.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 05:56:58 AM »
I've been trying to learn about the flat earth from watching videos on YouTube.  That's not so productive, because they seem to either by from denialists "proving" some claim of the flat earth to be false, or... a very few videos using one microfact to prove the globe earth false. 

Nowhere, have I seen a coherent explanation of how the flat earth model works and how it would be different from the globe earth model. 

Is there a simple description of the flat earth model someplace?  I'm not looking for a library of books.  I would love to find a Reader's Digest size article that, instead of trying to disprove a globe earth, simply describes how the flat earth operates.  I would like enough rigor to actually show (for example) how the phases of the moon work and a simple thing such as the sun set. 

Does this exist anywhere?

You'd have better luck trying to find a unicorn. Or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 06:18:46 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, but the moon landing was definitely 100% real.
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun