How do you explain the horizon?

• 33 Replies
?

Agnostic

• Sylvain P. - French Engineer & Flat Earth Theorist
Re: How do you explain the horizon?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
Yes, I did infact read the entire compendium before even signing up to the forum.   I'm a practiced lurker.   The conlusions reached are flippant, poorly argued and themselves, incoherant.

Don't just tell it is incoherent, tell why it is.

Also, noone here is claiming that FET is 100% coherent. If you want to help making it more coherent, you are welcome  ;)
"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

"The world is flat." 2005. Thomas Friedman

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »
Yes, I did infact read the entire compendium before even signing up to the forum.   I'm a practiced lurker.   The conlusions reached are flippant, poorly argued and themselves, incoherant.

Don't just tell it is incoherent, tell why it is.

Also, noone here is claiming that FET is 100% coherent. If you want to help making it more coherent, you are welcome  ;)
I told you why - it's flippant and poorly argued.  It also drastically under-estimates the numbers of people required.  You can see just some of my ascertions about the numbers of people required to support the conspiracy here http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49299.msg1234314#msg1234314

I quote:
I compiled the list from people inferred by FE'ers as necessary to be in on the conspiracy in order to validate some outlandish theory, or some outlandish disproof, that the FE'er proposed.

For example: Airline Pilots.

Airline pilots study mathematics and navigation.  They know the airpspeed of their aircraft, travel time and the distance on a RET map.  They would, without any doubt whatsoever, eventually observe that the distances they could manually calculate did not tarry with the RET map.  It would become commonly discussed knowledge amongst pilots.  It would be brought up at conventions, with employers etc.  NASA must have stepped in fairly early in the piece to buy off all the pilots.  They must also have established a body whose responsibility was ensuring all new pilots were brought onto the payroll as they started active employment.  This body would have to large enough to administer the buy-off scheme to thousands of pilots a year, involving a whole other group of office administrators, clerks and accountants doing the work onf this body.  A large proportion (though not all) would need to have atleast the knowledge that the pilots were being bought off, even if they didn't know the exact details.

The things is this is just the pilots.  Take the HAM radio and vhf line of sight conspiracy.  There are atleast tens of thousands of HAM operators throughout the world.  Most of them have a very thorough knowledge of radio theory and how radio waves travel and propogate.  If the earth was round as the theories say, then their radio signals wouldn't reach around the world (in vhf band).  Since their radio signals do reach (according to FET) across the world, any ham radio operator worth a pinch of salt would soon notice this.  Again, NASA will have had to step in to pay of all the HAM radio operators around the world to get them to keep hush hush about the fact their vhf signals can travel to all corners of the disc, even though they should not be able to do so, according to the RET model.

So you see, there is a snowball affect of people NASA have to pay off to keep the conspiracy going.  It's quite a task.  I do wonder were all the money is comming from.  NASA's budget for 2008 was $17 billion.  Let's say 20000 people are all given 1 million to keep quiet.  Remember just paying them a few thousand isn't going to cut it.  It needs to be a lot of money.  Plus some people, like Richard Branson, are already very rich so will need a lot more than 1 million dollars.   So I think it's a conservative estimate to say that 20,000 people need to be paid 1 million dollars per year to even start keeping the conspiracy quiet:

2000 HAM operators
2000 Scientists  (really this would be many  many more - astrophysicist, geophysicists, climate scientists, astronomers and many more whose work directly involves working with RE theories that would be proven invalid by a Flat Earth - they would need to be paid off big time)
2000 Engineers
2000 Airline Pilots
2000 Doctors
2000 Nurses
2000 Manufacturer CEO's (not even including R&D teams)
2000 Surveyors
2000 Amateur astronomers
2000 GPS chip firmware designers

20000 x 1000000 = 20 billion, about equal to NASA's budget.   And that's not their take home budget after they pay all their own people (even the one's who aren't in in the conspiracy need to be paid), rent, office admin, power and all the other things an organisation of that size has to spend money on.

and the list (so far):
The NASA big three are really wishing right now they'd never started this bloody conspiracy....it's getting a bit expensive paying off: various actors involved in faked artic bases, moonlandings etc, family and loved one's of disposed-of artic explorers paid to keep quiet, cell phone tower engineers, management and firmware designers , The many thousands of civilians who witnessed shuttle launches, the media that reported the shuttle launches, and the police, army and airforce who provided the shuttle launch security, Cosmologists, fake arctic scientists, arctic set builders, artic computer graphics designers, Geophysists, professional astronomers, global climate scientists, particle physicists and partical accelerator designers, telecommunications engineers, astro-physicists, NASA boffins, engineers, astronauts, ground crew, contractors, Indian, Chinese, European and Russian space agencies, private satelitte launch company management and engineers, gps manufacturers, ham radio operators (the vhf line of sight conspiracy), international airline pilots, flight path designers, "gps" aircraft pilots, mapping companies, surveyors, radar operators and manufacturers, ballistics engineers and ice wall guards, the world's body of amatuer astronomers, Microsoft founder Paul Allen, Virgin owner Richard Branson, Burt Rutan, Brian Binnie, Mike Melvill (BB and MM, they just gotta be made up names), doctors, hospital administrators, moonburn patients, nurses and pharmacists, artic south pole explorers, circumnavigators.

haha I don't know if I can do anything to make it more coherent, it's borderline fantasy as it is.

First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

?

Agnostic

• Sylvain P. - French Engineer & Flat Earth Theorist
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 06:46:20 AM »
Dude, getting numbers out of your magical hat is no way near to be scientific.

If you want to know how many people there are behind the plot, then ask people, and find the people who knows. Then start counting.

Unless you do that, crafting number is useless and won't teach us anything.
"The earth is flat indeed. Saying it is a sphere was the worst mistake of our modern science." 1893. Pr. Orlando Ferguson, Academy of Science

"The world is flat." 2005. Thomas Friedman

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »

If you want to know how many people there are behind the plot, then ask people, and find the people who knows. Then start counting.
I can't afford to out bid NASA to get them to reveal their secrets   :(
First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "