Round Earthers: The Moon?

• 23 Replies

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »
I'd like a Round Earther to explain, in their own words, the Lunar phases and how/why they occur. (I'm not pretending to be unoblivious here - the explanation(s) given will be central to the discussion which follows)
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Sanirius

• ~rawr~
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »
the moon moves into the shadow of the earth ones in a while.
there u go :P

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:07:13 PM »
Then how the hell is this possible:

"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:08:42 PM »
By the way, before someone picks me up on the invalidity of photographic evidence, I'm using this image merely to demonstrate a phenomenom which is easily observable.

To clarify: Are you suggesting a concave Earth? How can a waxing moon be possible by your explanation?

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »

there...

CYCO VISION TELL ME WAHT YOU WANT TO HEAR CYCO CYCO VISION!
he kinds of equations that they have now are the kinds of equations you would get in an approximation scheme to some underlying theory, but nobody knows what the underlying theory is.

discover magazine

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
Then how the hell is this possible:

The cookie monster has struck again! Stop eating our Earth, damnit!

~D-Draw

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
Quote from: "Sanirius"
the moon moves into the shadow of the earth ones in a while.
there u go :P

You are suggesting that this is the cause of lunar phases?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »
Anyway, I'll bite.  Lunar phases are the result of the sun -- which is very far away from the moon -- shining its light on the moon -- which is other wise dark -- from different directions.  By directions I mean "from the right" or "from the left" or "from behind me" or "from the other side of the moon", when looking at the moon.  If the light is coming from slightly behind the moon, the moon will be in a crescent phase.  If the light is coming from slightly behind me, the moon will be in a gibbous phase.  The moon is new/full when the light is coming from close to directly behind the moon/me.

So: now what?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
You killed the thread with an answer that made complete sense. I was hoping there would be page upon page of heated discussion and deep consideration.

However, I will continue on a slightly different tangent - many Round Earthers think the Earth comes between the Sun and Moon causing the Lunar Phases, which, if not completely absurd, would prove geocentricism.

However even if the angle explanation were 100% correct, it would by no means rule out the Flat-Earth/Round-Sun-and-Moon model.

Furthermore, the Flat bodies scenario remains not disproven on the grounds of the various Lunar phase explanations which can be provided for said scenario.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 01:38:01 AM »
Um, there was no Introduction thread or anything on here, so I am very sorry to waste some space on here, but this seemed like as good as place as any to introduce myself :)
Anyway, hi, I'm from Australia, I'm 17 and I have a beautiful girlfriend who is 19 (lol) and while I find the theory of a Flat Earth impossibly ludicrous, I am however interested in what you FE believers think about all this, anyway, thank you for your time, and please dont hate me because of what I was made to believe (ie Round Earth, God is just some guy who doesnt grant wishes, etc.). Sorry again for wasting some space here.
f you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken apart, if you need to crash then crash and burn you're not alone...

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 01:42:41 AM »
Greetings, Strader. Welcome to the place where you will argue with the most ludicrous ideas in the world. You can, however, sit on the sidelines and make comical comments., if that's what pleases you. Whatever floats your boat.
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
You will submit.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 01:48:10 AM »
Lol, I may do that, but if I see something I just need to comment on and prove wrong/right I will do so :D Thanks for the greeting too Smammi :)
f you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken apart, if you need to crash then crash and burn you're not alone...

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 01:52:52 AM »
My pleasure.
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
You will submit.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 01:58:10 AM »
Back to topic now, the moon or lunar phases are created by the suns light upon the moon and the moons position itself in our skies, hence why we see half a moon, a quarter moon, full moon or no moon.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 06:16:53 AM »
Quote from: "Strader"

Anyway, hi, I'm from Australia, I'm 17 and I have a beautiful girlfriend who is 19 (lol)
:roll:

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »
many Round Earthers think the Earth comes between the Sun and Moon causing the Lunar Phases, which, if not completely absurd, would prove geocentricism.

Remember Dogplatter, what you are seeing on this forum is not always the cream of the crop of Round Earthers.  Most of the people who would be able to provide truly intelligent responses to these topics have better things to do then debunk the notion that the Earth is flat.

But yes, Erasmus and sodapop112 have it right, and Sanirius has it wrong.  The moon's phases result from the sun's illumination hitting it at different angles, as viewed from the Earth.

However even if the angle explanation were 100% correct, it would by no means rule out the Flat-Earth/Round-Sun-and-Moon model.

Furthermore, the Flat bodies scenario remains not disproven on the grounds of the various Lunar phase explanations which can be provided for said scenario.

Really?  While I'll admit that allowing the moon and the sun to be round would explain lunar phases, how could the same be said for Flat-moon models?

What Flat-moon model explains the effects of phases and libration?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Lunar_libration_with_phase2.gif
"The earth looks flat; therefore it is flat."
-Flat Earthers

"Triangle ABC looks isosceles; therefore . . ."
-3rd grade geometry student

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 10:50:30 AM »
wow thats a cool movie thing or whatever you call it.
he kinds of equations that they have now are the kinds of equations you would get in an approximation scheme to some underlying theory, but nobody knows what the underlying theory is.

discover magazine

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
The moon is made out of cheese
ol, the earth is really flat!

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 05:30:16 PM »
Quote from: "Max Fagin"
What Flat-moon model explains the effects of phases and libration?

Sorry I just want to say that I believe in spherical moon. It allows for “libration.”

And if I were a FMer: That’s photographic evidence. You know you can’t use that!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 09:35:45 PM »
many Round Earthers think the Earth comes between the Sun and Moon causing the Lunar Phases, which, if not completely absurd, would prove geocentricism.

Maybe I'm missing something.  How is it completely absurd?  Also, how would it probe geocentrism?

Not quite... if the sun and moon were both round and both "above" the disc of the Earth, and the moon's light is reflected light from the sun, then how would the moon ever appear full?  The only way it works is if you throw out moonlight-as-reflected-sunlight, and make the moon emit Rowbotham's "cold light", at which point -- what does it matter that the sun and moon are round?

Not disproven, no, but shown to be less than optimally parsimonious, for sure.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 03:23:58 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Maybe I'm missing something.  How is it completely absurd?  Also, how would it probe geocentrism?

We can see by the shape of the shadow that the Earth could not be casting it's shadow on the Moon. Also, I meant solarcentrism. Excuse the mistake.

Not quite... if the sun and moon were both round and both "above" the disc of the Earth, and the moon's light is reflected light from the sun, then how would the moon ever appear full?  The only way it works is if you throw out moonlight-as-reflected-sunlight, and make the moon emit Rowbotham's "cold light", at which point -- what does it matter that the sun and moon are round?

You're completely right.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
Quote from: "Strader"
Anyway, hi, I'm from Australia, I'm 17 and I have a beautiful girlfriend who is 19 (lol)

Maintain that kinda attitude about it and you won't have a girlfriend for long.

@Dogplatter: You should ask how the moon was created. While there are some educated RE'ers on here that actually do know how the moon phases work, not many of them know how the RE model's moon was created.

Infact modern science only has a theory at this point in regards to this. I'm sure you'll get interesting answears :)
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
Quote from: "Wolfwood"
modern science only has a theory at this point in regards to this.

Off topic point, but science never goes any farther than theory, Wolfwood.  

Theory is the highest level of credibility any idea can achieve in the scientific world.  And "Theory" doesn't mean unsupported, or un-credible (As you and many people use it i.e. "That's just a theory")
"The earth looks flat; therefore it is flat."
-Flat Earthers

"Triangle ABC looks isosceles; therefore . . ."
-3rd grade geometry student

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
We can see by the shape of the shadow that the Earth could not be casting it's shadow on the Moon.

Ah... the thing I was missing was the word "phases", which you said, and which I read as "eclipses" due to my, apparently, being in a coma or something.  N/m.