What's past the ice edge?

• 16 Replies
What's past the ice edge?
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »
Hello everyone. Given that this site is partly a joke and we're talking about a flat earth, I don't expect a good response to these questions. Yet, I feel that when talking to people who can reject most evidence as 'conspiracy,' thought experiments might actually work better as a line of discussion. So, my boredom and curiosity leads me to present the following: 

The most common picture I know of a flat earth is probably this one, a projection centered over the north pole.

Now, there's a number of arguments I could bring up here, but I just want to talk about the ice wall. Because this...'wall,' prevents people from falling off the...'edge,' right? So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone tried to go past the ice wall? E.g. in high altitude aircraft, maybe? If not, why not? Is it too high, too cold, or guarded by NASA agents, etc.?
2) Hypothetically, if something got past the ice edge, it would fall off? Where would it fall to? What is...'outside' the flat earth, so to speak?

Re: What's past the ice edge?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
Oops, I didn't realize there was a page on this. Okay, let's work with that.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Ice%20Wall

The traditional view is that the Ice Wall rises approximately 150 feet above sea level, preventing the ocean from spilling over the edge of the Earth.
Others believe the Ice Wall to be much larger. In this model, there is an impenetrable boundary of ice further outward around the edges of the Earth, generally estimated to be 40,000 - 50,000 feet high to hold the atmolayer in place.

150 feet would seem to be far too easy to traverse. Of course, you could still go over 40,000 - 50,000 in certain aircraft, but at that point, you could just say that anyone with aircraft that can fly that high must be part of the conspiracy.

It should be noted that, in both views, the Ice Wall is a naturally formed structure, a mountain range merely covered in ice and snow

Okay, in that case, wouldn't the ocean slowly erode the mountain away? Then, the water would spill....eh, off the earth?

How far the ice extends; how it terminates; and what exists beyond it, are questions to which no present human experience can reply. All we at present know is, that snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes prevail; and that in every direction human ingress is barred by unsealed escarpments of perpetual ice, extending farther than eye or telescope can penetrate, and becoming lost in gloom and darkness.

Well, a hurricane is a tropical......nevermind.

Isn't this partly speculation though, since no one has actually been on the ice wall? Or would flat earthists assert that videos of Antarctica are actually of the ice wall?

In a minority of Flat Earth Models, the Ice Wall is very difficult to reach and may be guarded by groups conspiring to maintain the commonly accepted Round Earth Model?.

Why is it difficult to reach? Because it's cold and the oceans are rough?

Also, that's a lot of wall to cover, isn't it? The United States can't even prevent illegal immigrants from crossing its southern border. It must be a resource management nightmare to try to prevent anyone from seeing the ice wall.   

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
Why is any country difficult to reach by any means?
The answer is simple. You need documents. Failure to produce those documents renders you incapable of entering.
So how do you get to the ice rim, unless you're invited to - A - ice patch that you wouldn't have a clue what it was, except to be told.

Past the edge of the real ice rim is more ice, then lack of air - then darkness as you move in due to lack of light, then you are dead before you go any further, because it's just too cold for humans and too cold for machinery to operate, including planes.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
The answer is simple. You need documents. Failure to produce those documents renders you incapable of entering.
Tell that to the millions of illegal immigrants in the US.  Besides, it's not as if Antarctica has a border patrol to worry about.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:08:36 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Besides, it's not as if Antarctica has a border patrol to worry about.

That is still up for debate, as you know. 

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
Besides, it's not as if Antarctica has a border patrol to worry about.

That is still up for debate, as you know.

Via circular reasoning. There's no reason to entertain the idea unless you have the presupposed conclusion that the earth is flat.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:26:51 AM by rottingroom »

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
Quote from: sceptimatic
So how do you get to the ice rim, unless you're invited to - A - ice patch that you wouldn't have a clue what it was, except to be told.

Well, it renders me incapable of legally entering, although I suppose the distinction is largely moot here. Antarctica is its own continent, having no land borders with any significant human population, so it'd be difficult for millions of illegal immigrants to hike to it, even if they had a good reason to. Still though, there's nothing actually physically warding people off. So, anyone with a large enough ship or sturdy aircraft could hypothetically just start heading south and get to the rim, right? This is particularly interesting if you live in, say, Australia or, even better, Argentina, where the tip of the continent is only a little over 1,000 km from the ice rim. (I assume you guys agree with that distance since there's a flat earth map)

Also, assuming that you don't think that about 37,000 people visited the ice rim from 2009-2010 and that, therefore, the tourism companies are part of the conspiracy,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_tourism

...Antarctica must really be extremely difficult to access, beyond the hassle of traveling to a normal country, perhaps even compared with some of the most exclusive countries like North Korea or Iran. After all, it's not a normal country, but at the same time, it's so secretive that all the tourists that supposedly went there were being lied to and actually went somewhere else. Essentially, the documentation and identification that you need to visit Antarctica would have to be of a kind transcending typical international travel, establishing yourself as one of the 'elite' who is 'in' on the 'secret' to some specific travel agent/airport employee/military installation that also happens to be 'in' on 'it', kind of like a secret agent...or like an OT VII in Scientology.

Do you disagree with any part of my analysis here?   

Quote from: sceptimatic
Past the edge of the real ice rim is more ice, then lack of air - then darkness as you move in due to lack of light, then you are dead before you go any further, because it's just too cold for humans and too cold for machinery to operate, including planes.

Why is there a lack of air? Does this cold darkness go on forever or is there an edge? Or do you not know because no one has been there?

How cold is it approximately? -50 °C? -100 °C? -273 °C?

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
if we follow the Zetetic philosophy, Antarctica, is not an ice wall, as 10's of thousands have been there.

Willmore was the first to theorize, that Antarctica is a continent, and perhaps, an Ice Wall lays further beyond.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »
if we follow the Zetetic philosophy, Antarctica, is not an ice wall, as 10's of thousands have been there.

Willmore was the first to theorize, that Antarctica is a continent, and perhaps, an Ice Wall lays further beyond.
Beyond in which direction?

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
Quote from: iwanttobelieve

Lol, I don't think all the FE'ers here agree with that, so it's still up for debate, right?

Quote from: iwanttobelieve

Hmmm, I don't know who "Willmore" is, but according to mainstream history (read: round earth conspiracy history) Antarctica has been a land for exploration since at least the 1800s, and the presence of a large continent to the far south had been theorized long before that. And I don't think there's any legitimate scientists (read: round earth conspiracy scientists) in relevant fields that theorize an ice wall laying "further beyond."

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
Lord Willmore is our Vice President,
He used Zetetic logic to determine that Antarctica is a separate continent and not an "Ice Wall".

If there is a barrier it is far beyond Antarctica.  It is probably just a metaphor, ac ice does not hold water back well.
It would be like calling Florida, the sand wall. Its not the sand (or ice) that holds the oceans back, but the rock beneath.

?

QuQu

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
I used Zetetic observations and logic to find out that the ice wall is guarded by genetically modified evil penguins.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »
I used Zetetic observations and logic to find out that the ice wall is guarded by genetically modified evil penguins.

please provide evidence for this claim.
there is a vast amount of evidence that Antarctica is not an "ice wall".

?

Goth

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 04:39:11 AM »
Hello everyone. Given that this site is partly a joke

Ice dome' crystal ice dome ,, only superman can go there ,, I believe its kryptonite what they call it...

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Truman show ending
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:44:34 AM by Goth »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:03:25 AM »

Ice dome' crystal ice dome ,, only superman can go there ,, I believe its kryptonite what they call it...

3 day ban for low content posting.

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:20:11 PM »

Not really low content, just a humorous and insulting way of highlighting another fundamental problem with flat earth nonsense. The roman poet Lucretius pointed it out more than 2000 years ago in Rerum Natura. Only in the 16 hundreds has the concept of suggesting a greater universe come into play where Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake by the catholic church for his views.

Even though you're a mod I do not feel any more reluctant to say that that your posts proves much more useless than that.
I'm not trying to disprove gravity. I've succeeded in disproving it. It's called denpressure.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »

Not really low content, just a humorous and insulting way of highlighting another fundamental problem with flat earth nonsense. The roman poet Lucretius pointed it out more than 2000 years ago in Rerum Natura. Only in the 16 hundreds has the concept of suggesting a greater universe come into play where Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake by the catholic church for his views.

Even though you're a mod I do not feel any more reluctant to say that that your posts proves much more useless than that.

If you have a concern about the moderation at this site, please make a post in the Suggestions and Concerns section.  Do not argue about moderators in the thread in which it happens.  Thanks.