The 'not so new' News! Is history repeating itself!

• 15 Replies
?

styxmarx

The 'not so new' News! Is history repeating itself!
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »

Not just recently, but over and over and.......over again, I keep reading 'headlines' which I know have been 'headlined' in the past, the most recent one I can think of is the '....the use of mirrors in the treating of phantom limb pain...!' Another one of note is the associating of the genetics which give people 'Red' hair and the last vestiges of a neanderthal code! This one I clearly remember being announced as '...the lastest research into....etc etc...!' Again, I think this was no later than 2003 [ish]

Both of these I recall, because with the first - it was also featured in a documentary about 'strokes' and another about how the 'brain' functions, both BBC programmes, I having suffered an illness of this nature, was interested, also I have had quite a serious head injury which causes me some bizarre symptoms, the second example however, is of interest to me only on a more trivial level......err.... it gave me the opportunity to take the rise out of a [to quote their preferred name] 'Titian' associate! Mercilessly SO!

However, to the point, no matter how repetitive! Ha ha! It is not that I object to being reminded from time to time of 'news' which is probably of little or no interest to anyone other than those affected by it!

It is just this!

If we are to be fed a constant stream of 'news' due to the 24hr nature of News channels and the Internet, it is feasible that there must be long tedious hours that those who feed these sources, may find themselves filling with the odd 'read' of Journals of all natures, who on seeing something in 'print' for the first time may believe that it is something the rest of the world will not have, due perhaps to their erroneous belief that we 'the people', wait with baited, godknowswhat, for the next profound announcements to issue from their 'gibbering' gobs!

Again, I would'nt mind tooo much, if these 'repeats' were of a more interesting, even perhaps, quality nature! Just like the TV and the interminable repeats and repeats of the omnibuses, and the repeats 'plus 1hr', etc etc! are just 'noise', these 'News' repeats in their irrelevance, are just 'time fillers'!

However, no-one minds if a TV repeat is of a 'classic comedy', 'brilliant drama', or timeless classic movie! So if they wish to maintain our attention, why do they not take great news stories, or perhaps groundbreaking journalistic events and run them by us again? I am sure they would cause more than the odd ear to 'prick up'...mmmm?

They already do this, do I hear you cry? Yeah, well sort of, but they seem doomed to remake these events with lacklustre personel, so taking what once was great and if not to be equalled should have been left alone, then thrusting it in our faces, aghast at our disinterest, nay...disgust for their travesties!

Also, it is probably not necessary to point this out, but even the greatest in the 'film' genre seem not to be immune to this effect with one after another of movies which were perhaps at least 'good' if not great, getting the make-over [under?] treatment! But the pasty, celeb-cultured teens which get the roles there, seem only to make the past less interesting and 'nostalgia', more of a 'bad taste in your mouth', than a 'butterfly in yer tummy - warm' experience!

DO you remember the days when a 'celebrity' was someone who was 'celebrated' for some ability and their prowess in this skill!
BE it  a 'thespian', a rare beauty, a virtuoso performer, an innovator of anything etc etc! Rather than some loud mouthed, overbearing, dipshit squeaking their way to instant fame on 'reality tv shows', which send the more discerning viewer to the News channels, an attempt to avoid the mindless drivel these new  celebrities foist upon us, only to fed a diet of re-gurgitated boring, non news, whilst they await the main events of the day, 'an ousting of some twat from some Reality trash'!

Well, my 'reality' is and has never been like anything hyped as such for our consumption! But if the choices are ' a rehashed movie', 'celeb worship of Reality nonentities', or rehashed news regarding 'phantom limb' disorders.....? Well, come and chop my other leg off, at least the trick with mirrors would be far more interesting when you get two!

I don't really know if any of this is of any interest to anyone but, who needs a 'multiple universe' continuum in which to wander away from yourself. 'Cos it appears that no matter if a quantum bifurcation occurs each time a choice is made, it only will end us with an WORLDS x n, Us x n, EVENTS THEREIN x ....precisely the same number, just as if all this quantum, splitting and general buzzing about had never occurred in the first instance!

Sorry if I repeated myself and went on and on, like a manic Duracel Rabbit on 'speed'! But there's little to hold my attention on my new Hi Def TV, actually listening to the radio and almost like the old days, participating in the debate thereon! [So this has taken some time to type out!] It appears that there at least a 'participant' has to have a little more about them than the vacuous celebs, seen far to highly defined for their own good on my expensive, new TV! Sony - Bravia Old World!

off back to the wireless for a bit, got the books out I want to read, can manage to do both without any problem, just don't bring any mirrors anywhere near me! Malice Thru' The Looking Glass is my 'Non Gamer Name'

teee heee heeee....etc etc

'take coke, worship satan'... if you wil!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: The 'not so new' News! Is history repeating itself!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
tl, dr.

?

styxmarx

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »
Sorry to be an ignoramus here, but what does 'tl' and 'dr' mean, I am not familiar with the shorthand, which I assume is a skill which people acquire with the 'texting' phenomenon of mobile phones....is it? I don't possess a mobile phone, I binned it several years ago....Now if you don't get me on my land line, 'I'm out!'

So can you please enlighten me 'Saddam'?

ps I know 'lol' means 'laughed out loud' or so I am told, but they may have lied to me....tee hee!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »
"tl, dr" means "too long, didn't read".  The point is, your thread was boring and rambled for a while.

?

Bushido

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »

?

styxmarx

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:06 PM »
OK! point taken! But How do you know I was rambling, if you did'nt read it! However, can I here point out that I am new to this 'posting' thing, and often find that when I looking at other posts, that they're all very 'clique ish'. You all seem to know one another if only thru' your regular use of this site.

Often the postings wander off from the original post and therefore become off-putting to respond to! I have found this again and again, not only here but with a lot of the sites I have visited.

Hence, I just thought I would post something, only to be berated by yourself! So it would seem, that unless you know the 'in house' system of posting, you will like I did above here, be given a shorthand dismissal!

Sorry, if the attention span of the readers here does'nt run to a posting of this length, rambling or otherwise! I will take the lesson and not bother trying to post anything in the future, this will I'm sure be welcomed by yourself, would'nt want to encourage any 'newbie' posting, would ya?

But I still think the  point I was making was relevant!

yours disillusioned!

?

Bushido

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
OK! point taken! But How do you know I was rambling, if you did'nt read it! However, can I here point out that I am new to this 'posting' thing, and often find that when I looking at other posts, that they're all very 'clique ish'. You all seem to know one another if only thru' your regular use of this site.

Often the postings wander off from the original post and therefore become off-putting to respond to! I have found this again and again, not only here but with a lot of the sites I have visited.

Hence, I just thought I would post something, only to be berated by yourself! So it would seem, that unless you know the 'in house' system of posting, you will like I did above here, be given a shorthand dismissal!

Sorry, if the attention span of the readers here does'nt run to a posting of this length, rambling or otherwise! I will take the lesson and not bother trying to post anything in the future, this will I'm sure be welcomed by yourself, would'nt want to encourage any 'newbie' posting, would ya?

yours disillusioned!

contradiction

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »

yours disillusioned!

stay here for a few months and you'll get bored with the debate. We all know each other from posting here forever, and in a few months you'll know us too if you stay. It gets to be like your family. A family of dipshits yes ;) but a family.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:28:03 PM »
I read it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
You read it, yes, but did you understand a word of it?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:10:58 PM »
I read and understood.

token

• Why don't you go fuck a rolling doughnut!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 10:57:11 PM »
That was stupid, waste of my minutes.
Maybe I will!

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
I read some of it, then stopped when I realized that it was way too long, and I didn't care, and you didn't understand that "news" hasn't been anything new since the goddamn fifties, except in politics, in which case, it's not really "news" at all anyways. The media is a real corrupt shithole, but what do you expect when they make money for being so goddamn corrupt? I'm not saying that they shouldn't. By all means, if they can dupe idiots into reading and believing all the shit they feed us, more power to them, but that doesn't mean I'm going to base my life off of the silly horoscopes above the "Wuzzles" in my newspaper (by the way, I only know those are there, because I complete both the "cryptoquip" and "Isaac Asimov's Superquiz" religiously every day).

By the way, "tl;dr" is pretty much a joke around here. Except not really. If you ramble a lot away from the debate section, and it fails to be compelling enough (or even if it is sometimes), you're going to get "tl;dr" here. Mostly because it's funny to watch people with actual opinions hopelessly attempt to voice them in the "non-serious" sections of this site. Really fucking funny.

~D-Draw

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
tl;dr

:)
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »
This thread is trying to sell me \/iagra.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 06:53:39 PM »
Pfff like you need it.

(he already had two bottles.)