The suns pool of light on a FE

• 61 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: The suns pool of light on a FE
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »
The images in the OP assumes that the earth is a globe. It isn't.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »

The images in the OP illustrate the lit areas of the earths surface on the polar projection FE map using recorded data from the given locations. Get your facts straight Tom.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 01:10:55 AM »

The images in the OP illustrate the lit areas of the earths surface on the polar projection FE map using recorded data from the given locations. Get your facts straight Tom.

What recorded data? We've been asking for such records for years.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 02:06:06 AM »

I started by collecting the the sunrise and sunset times for varying latitudes for 3 times of the year 20th December, 20th June and 20th March.

I started at 80o north as the north pole really only experiences 1 sunrise and sunset a year and I only went down to -60o as there's not much land mass below this apart from the "controversial" Antarctica.

That was in the OP, guess you missed it...

Oh, and I can verify it is correct for 30° South, and I am certain it would be easily verifiable at all other latitudes as well, just contact someone at that latitude and get them to record sunrise and sunset times for you on the given dates.
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
There is a reason its called luminiferous aether and not aether - the refer to different entities. And a reason people choose to call it a "space medium" rather than aether - fashion.

In addition, the big bang model has snuck in an absolute coordinate system - which could just as easily have been labeled aether.

The discussion of whether aether exists is the discussion of whether space exists and has properties (such as permeability and permitivity). Calling it another name is nothing more than semantics. Space exists and it has properties. Aether wind model holders just think about said properties differently.

What a load of nonsensical re-writing of history. Aether is not (and never has been) a synonym for space; the Greeks thought it was some sort of magical air that the gods breathed, Plato thought it was an actual element, Aristotle thought it was changeless and characterless... etc. Modern thinkers imagined it as a medium for transmitting forces which has now been proven not to exist - before we understood the specifics of the propagation of electromagnetic radiation, there were those who assumed that some sort of "aether" was needed as a bounding agent - since made obsolete by a hundred years of direct evidence. No interpretation of aether is, or ever was, a synonym for what we know as "space" which is not homogeneous in (aether always was), nor required for electromagnetic propagation.

Aether as a concept is entirely obsolete, and has been proven directly. It has absolutely nothing to do with semantics, at all.
Einstein, for one, used it as a synonym for the properties of space. Lorenz had his fingers in a similar pie. I could list several contemporary physicists working the field (though I won't so their name won't be tied with us due to courtesy) that would readily admit aether is an exceptable name for the space medium if it wasn't "out of fashion" or "scientifically politically incorrect".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:56:32 AM by John Davis »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »

I started by collecting the the sunrise and sunset times for varying latitudes for 3 times of the year 20th December, 20th June and 20th March.

I started at 80o north as the north pole really only experiences 1 sunrise and sunset a year and I only went down to -60o as there's not much land mass below this apart from the "controversial" Antarctica.

That was in the OP, guess you missed it...

Oh, and I can verify it is correct for 30° South, and I am certain it would be easily verifiable at all other latitudes as well, just contact someone at that latitude and get them to record sunrise and sunset times for you on the given dates.

Am I to believe that the OP traveled the world between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, including latitudes near Antarctica, and measured the sunrise and sunset?

Or did he simply look at an RE calculator for those times?

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
As the OP I'll clarify this. No I didn't go around the world collecting times and I did use a Sunrise and Sunset calculator. I apologise if my original wording caused any confusion.

Now Tom if you're asserting that these calculators give an incorrect prediction for the sunrise and sunset times then please provide your evidence, else you're just denying them as they're inconvenient for your personal world view.

From my experience the times are accurate for South Africa, Cuba, Egypt, Britain, Bulgaria and Spain.
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
There is a reason its called luminiferous aether and not aether - the refer to different entities. And a reason people choose to call it a "space medium" rather than aether - fashion.

In addition, the big bang model has snuck in an absolute coordinate system - which could just as easily have been labeled aether.

The discussion of whether aether exists is the discussion of whether space exists and has properties (such as permeability and permitivity). Calling it another name is nothing more than semantics. Space exists and it has properties. Aether wind model holders just think about said properties differently.

What a load of nonsensical re-writing of history. Aether is not (and never has been) a synonym for space; the Greeks thought it was some sort of magical air that the gods breathed, Plato thought it was an actual element, Aristotle thought it was changeless and characterless... etc. Modern thinkers imagined it as a medium for transmitting forces which has now been proven not to exist - before we understood the specifics of the propagation of electromagnetic radiation, there were those who assumed that some sort of "aether" was needed as a bounding agent - since made obsolete by a hundred years of direct evidence. No interpretation of aether is, or ever was, a synonym for what we know as "space" which is not homogeneous in (aether always was), nor required for electromagnetic propagation.

Aether as a concept is entirely obsolete, and has been proven directly. It has absolutely nothing to do with semantics, at all.
Einstein, for one, used it as a synonym for the properties of space-time. Lorenz had his fingers in a similar pie. I could list several contemporary physicists working the field (though I won't so their name won't be tied with us due to courtesy) that would readily admit aether is an exceptable name for the space medium if it wasn't "out of fashion" or "scientifically politically incorrect".

Fixed, there's a distinction between space and space-time.
Quote from: Shmeggley
Wherever someone is wrong on the internet, Pyrolizard will be there!

Quote from: Excelsior John
I dont care about the majority I care about Obama.
Let it always be known that Excelsior John is against democracy.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »
As the OP I'll clarify this. No I didn't go around the world collecting times and I did use a Sunrise and Sunset calculator. I apologise if my original wording caused any confusion.

Now Tom if you're asserting that these calculators give an incorrect prediction for the sunrise and sunset times then please provide your evidence, else you're just denying them as they're inconvenient for your personal world view.

From my experience the times are accurate for South Africa, Cuba, Egypt, Britain, Bulgaria and Spain.

Great! I'm glad you agree that there are no records.

Posting a claim here and asking others to disprove it is rather stupid. I encourage you to smarten up. Instead of asking us to prove a negative, or "disprove" your unsourced claims, perhaps you guys can begin by proving your own claims.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

Great! I'm glad you agree that there are no records.

Posting a claim here and asking others to disprove it is rather stupid. I encourage you to smarten up. Instead of asking us to prove a negative, or "disprove" your unsourced claims, perhaps you guys can begin by proving your own claims.

Okay. If the sunlight calculators were wrong, Manarq himself would have noticed for at least South Africa, Cuba, Egypt, Britain, Bulgaria, and Spain. I would have noticed for Cascadia, Alaska, and the Falkland Islands. Anyone with an internet connection anywhere in the world would notice for their specific locations. There are a bajillion of these calculators online and they all agree and nobody has yet spoken out that they're erroneous for their location.

You claim they're fake. You can prove that by going somewhere and checking the daytime calculator. If it's wrong, then congratulations, you've succeeded! I'd recommend starting south of the equator, since that's where most of the FE/RE differences are.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
I still don't see any records.

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
Do the calculators give accurate sunrise and sunset times for your location?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
And I don't see you peer reviewing the sunrise/sunset calculators.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »

Ok, my mistake, they were not records. Rather, they were accurate calculations which, as we have discussed before, have been used around the world without complaint, implying that they are accurate for many, many locations. In light of that, I'm inclined to trust them and ignore your unsupported claim that they are faked.

A quick revisit to the comment that started this:

So, to amend my previous reply: the images take accurate, verifiable sun times and apply them to a flat earth model. There is no assumption of roundness in the images.

PS. I'm sure that you could find sun time records if you actually tried, but it seems that actual research and fact checking is beyond most FE advocates, so why should you be any different?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
And I don't see you peer reviewing the sunrise/sunset calculators.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Ok, my mistake, they were not records. Rather, they were accurate calculations which, as we have discussed before, have been used around the world without complaint, implying that they are accurate for many, many locations.

Where are the reports to confirm that?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Ok, my mistake, they were not records. Rather, they were accurate calculations which, as we have discussed before, have been used around the world without complaint, implying that they are accurate for many, many locations.

I can confirm its accuracy.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Don't start that again Tom, we've been over it before. It got very tiresome when you refused to accept third party reports of their accuracy, then ridiculed the suggestion that you go and check their accuracy yourself. If you're not going to take someone else's word for it, and you're not going to verify it yourself, then there's no point you even taking part in this discussion.

However, if you are now willing to accept third party reports:

I can confirm its accuracy.

...I can verify it is correct for 30° South...

Also, as an (occasional) aviator, I can say that these calculators must be accurate, as they are used to establish civil twilight times, vital information for the safety of private and sport pilots.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
Children posting here "yep, I confirmed it," seeking to win debates, is not a credible report. The reports must be independent and third party.

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
Children posting here "yep, I confirmed it," seeking to win debates, is not a credible report. The reports must be independent and third party.
Who do you consider independent and third party?

Oh and do the calculators predict sunrise and sunset times for your location?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
If you can find some independent reports from people who do not post on this forum, that would be a start.

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
If you can find some independent reports from people who do not post on this forum, that would be a start.
Tom, you obviously read both question and yet for some strange reason were only willing to answer the first of them. Is there any particular reason why you're unwilling to let us know if the calculators are accurate for your location?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:54:13 AM by Manarq »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Tom, you obviously read both question and yet for some strange reason were only willing to answer the first of them. Is there any particular reason why you're unwilling to let us know if the calculators are accurate for your location?

No, they aren't.

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

No, they aren't.
Cool, so were they 40 minutes early or late or was it 40 minutes in total? Was this just for sunrise or for both? What altitude where you at when you made the observations?

In fact maybe you could just answer the questions Markjo asked you in the thread you linked to
It doesn't really matter if it can be calculated or not if the calculations don't match reality.

A few years ago I checked the accuracy of the calculation in my local newspaper for the sunset time and it was 40 minutes off.

Was the prediction 40 minutes early or 40 minutes late?  Where were you at the time of the observation?  What was the local geography like?  Did the sun set over water or over land?  What was your elevation at the time?  Was the FET prediction for sunset any different from the RET prediction in the newspaper?

Just saying that the prediction was off doesn't mean a whole lot unless you can give us all of the details that could affect the observed sunset.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:32:27 PM by Manarq »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »

Perhaps you should be a little more thorough and a little less derogatory?  How should one determine what you will accept as "independent" and "third party"?

The anecdote you linked to is amusing, but without any details, or way to corroborate your anecdote it is essentially useless. Perhaps you could provide a more recent example with some support?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »

Here we go again...

Like I said, if you're not going to take someone else's word for it, and you're not going to verify it yourself, then there's no point you even taking part in this discussion.

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:58 AM »

No, they aren't.
I had a think about the example you give and I realised that you didn't actually use a sunrise/sunset calculator yourself, you trusted someone else (the newspaper) to use it and give you a prediction. Did the newspaper give a variety of times for different location covered by it's circulation or was it just an approximate time?

If the actual sunrise time was 40 minutes later than predicted and the sunset time was 40 minutes later than predicted then the amount of time the sun was visible, the point of the thread, would be consistent with the predictions.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
Two months ago, I noticed the sun rise and sun set times were off by a good half hour.  Does "set" not mean, "sitting on the horizon"?

I have taken it to mean when the uppermost edge of the sun is first and last visible over the horizon.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
Two months ago, I noticed the sun rise and sun set times were off by a good half hour.  Does "set" not mean, "sitting on the horizon"?
Please elaborate.  Were sunrise and sunset early or late?  Did you observe the sun rise or set behind a hill or was the terrain pretty much flat?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
Sunrise was earlier and sunset was later. Nothing in the way.

Could you provide specifics, such as your latitude, the actual time of sunrise and set, and the city you were in when you observed such?