Columbus Was A Flatist

• 50 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Columbus Was A Flatist
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
Charles Johnson, former President of our society, knew that Moses, Washington, and Columbus were flatists. In 1980 he talks to this:

"There was a dispute on the ship, but it was because Columbus was a flat-earther... The others believed the Earth to be a ball, and they just knew that they were falling over the edge and couldn't get back. ... Columbus had to put them in irons and beat them until he convinced them they weren’t going over any curve, and they could return.”

Do any flatist's here agree with Johnson's view?
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Columbus Was A Flatist
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
This is a pretty strong statement.  Do you have any citations to back this up?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
I have some experience on fishing boats.
Rule #1: don't disobey the captain.
It's a long swim home.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Do you want me to cite that he was a flatist, or that Johnson believed he was?

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
Proof there was a dispute.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »

That Johnson would think so is unremarkable.  What he based this on though would be interesting.  Is it mentioned in a biography of any of these people?  Is it just a theory that Johnson had?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
He talked often about Columbus. He even went so far in this interview to label him as part of the conspiracy: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/Newspaper%20Articles%201981.pdf

As far as the quote above, that is from here, though I seem to remember reading it first hand somewhere (though I could be wrong):
https://www.inverse.com/article/37239-flat-earth-christopher-columbus-day

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
I'll start rereading through these:
https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/flat-earth-library/newsletters

And let you know what I come up with.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Oh wow!  Pre-internet resources.  That might be interesting.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »

The others believed the Earth to be a ball, and they just knew that they were falling over the edge and couldn't get back

I feel like I must be mis-reading this somehow.  They believed they were on a globe...with an edge?
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

The others believed the Earth to be a ball, and they just knew that they were falling over the edge and couldn't get back

I feel like I must be mis-reading this somehow.  They believed they were on a globe...with an edge?
Yes, I believe the argument dates back to Thomas Aquinas (though since he believed in a globe, I'd have to dig up the argument). The idea is that if the earth is a globe, the water would run off the curve of a globe. Think about pouring water on top of a beach ball.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:01:41 PM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
Proof there was a dispute.
I have no idea what he was referencing exactly. However, its well known that there were mutinies on his ship.

http://blog.yalebooks.com/2013/05/07/mutiny-profiles-christopher-columbus/

"Three days after leaving port, crew on the Pinta, reluctant to keep sailing away from familiar territory, sabotaged its rudder. "

This seems to corroborate his story.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
Charles Johnson, former President of our society, knew that Moses, Washington, and Columbus were flatists. In 1980 he talks to this:

"There was a dispute on the ship, but it was because Columbus was a flat-earther... The others believed the Earth to be a ball, and they just knew that they were falling over the edge and couldn't get back. ... Columbus had to put them in irons and beat them until he convinced them they weren’t going over any curve, and they could return.”

Ummm...  You do realize that the Columbus flat earth story is a myth, don't you?
As early as the sixth century B.C., Pythagoras — and later Aristotle and Euclid — wrote about the Earth as a sphere. Ptolemy wrote “Geography” at the height of the Roman Empire, 1,300 years before Columbus sailed, and considered the idea of a round planet as fact.

“Geography” became a standard reference, and Columbus himself owned a copy. For him, the big question was not the shape of the Earth but the size of the ocean he wanted to cross.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »

Yes, I believe the argument dates back to Thomas Aquinas (though since he believed in a globe, I'd have to dig up the argument). The idea is that if the earth is a globe, the water would run off the curve of a globe. Think about pouring water on top of a beach ball.

I think it's bollocks that anyone had this point of view. For a start, everyone would need to be on top of the ball:
"Lake Geneva must be the top of the ball, because the water doesn't tip off!"
"No, Madeira must be, because there's no constant rush of water past it!"
"No, you're both wrong, because Loch Ness is as still as a mill pond!"
So anyone (especially any sailor, because they're well-travelled) could instantly see that even if the earth is a ball, there isn't a slope with water tipping off it, and that everything sticks to the ball. Therefore, I think this tale about Columbus's crew is BS.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »

I have no idea what he was referencing exactly. However, its well known that there were mutinies on his ship.

"Three days after leaving port, crew on the Pinta, reluctant to keep sailing away from familiar territory, sabotaged its rudder. "

From your link:

Mutinies were so natural in the Age of Discovery that they could be reliably expected to occur in just about any bold seafaring enterprise. They were a normal part of taking risks together in organized but uncertain settings. Leaders and members abided by an authority structure, but proximity during an enterprise made for a certain sense of equality. All leaders directly experienced mutiny. Great leaders knew how to respond effectively to mutiny, often through means so artful as to transform it into success.

Three days after leaving port, crew on the Pinta, reluctant to keep sailing away from familiar territory, sabotaged its rudder. Such bothersome matters as sabotage stemmed in part from the royal decree given to Columbus. It prohibited Portuguese from joining the enterprise and authorized exoneration of crimes for those Castilians who did join.

You need to choose your sources better if you want them to back up your stupid ideas.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »

Obviously I'm no flatularist, but that claim is totally illogical: Balls do not have edges.

But, by the time of Columbus the earth's being a Globe was totally entrenched in Western and probably even Middle Eastern society that the whole idea seems totally implausible.

If Charles Johnson really did claim that, it says more about his powers of logic, or the lack thereof, than the shape of the earth.
It's you modern neo-Flat Earthism Cult adherents that have tried to change things.

I think I'd believe these folk before anything Charles Johnson said!
  • Hellenic world: Archimedes, etc.
  • Hellenistic world: Eratosthenes (276 BC – 195 BC).
  • Ancient India: Aryabhata (476–550)
  • Islamic world: Iraqi Caliph al-Ma'mun (786-833), Persian Abu Rayhan al-Biruni (973–1048)
  • Early and Medieval Europe: English Venerable Bede (673–735), French John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256), French John Buridan (1301–1358) and French Nicholas Oresme (1320–1382).
Or are they all too Big Science for you?

And the Globe seems to have been used as a navigation tool before Columbus
BEHAIM, MARTIN
Martin Behaim (1459-1537) was a German mapmaker, navigator, and merchant. Behaim made the earliest globe, called the "Nürnberg Terrestrial Globe". It was made during the years 1490-1492; the painter Georg Glockendon helped in the project. Behaim had previously sailed to Portugal as a merchant (in 1480). He had advised King John II on matters concerning navigation. He accompanied the Portuguese explorer Diogo Cam (Cão) on a 1485-1486 voyage to the coast of West Africa; during this trip, the mouth of the Congo River was discovered.
After returning to Nürnberg in 1490, Behaim began construction of his globe (which was very inaccurate as compared to other maps from that time, even in the areas in which Behaim had sailed).

It was once thought that Behaim's might may have influenced Columbus and Magellan; this is now discounted. Behaim may have also developed an astrolabe. Behaim's globe is now in the German National Museum in Nürnberg.

Sure looks like the idea of a Globe was well entrenched well before Columbus and nobody seemed too worried about falling over the edge.

Sorry for the length, but I'm trying to catch up with Sandokhan .

Got any flatularist support yet?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »

This is just a common popular myth.

The truth is.:
Columbus knew the earth was a globe.
No doubt he had studied geography.
If any persons  thought that the earth was flat, it would not have been Columbus, but maybe some of the less intelligent of the crew members.
The question was not the shape of the earth, but the size of the earth.
Columbus thought that the earth was much smaller than than it is and thought that the route to India would be shorter to go west instead of east.
To make a long story short, they were runnning short of food and water, and luckily landed on some islands.
Columbus thought they were near India.
That's why we call those islands "The West Indies" and why we call "Native Americans" "Indians" today.

The rest of Johnson's story might be a bit dubious ?..Maybe just some fantastic fiction ?
It would be best to read some history books for more details on the story.
But they contain nothing but lies, too, and all the authors are liars, just like the rest of that Round Earth Conspiracy Gang.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:30:38 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Macarios

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
The others believed the Earth to be a ball, and they just knew that they were falling over the edge and couldn't get back.

The first thing that grabs the attention here is: how adult people imagine edge on ball?

Let me repeat: EDGE ON BALL...

If Columbus was flatis, then HE would be afraid of falling over the edge. Not his crew.
In that case he wouldn't get the idea of "reaching India from the other side" in the first place.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
After doing a little more reading and research (if you can call it that) I came to the conclusion that most of the members of the crews of the three ships in Columbus' fleet also knew that the earth was a globe. (Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria).
Also Columbus owned a  copy of "Geography" by Ptolemy , which had reference to a spherical earth.
Columbus was definitely NOT "A Flatist".

Once again , the question was not the shape of the earth, but the  size of the earth.
And they had no way of knowing what was between Spain and India on a western route.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:23:13 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »

Obviously I'm no flatularist, but that claim is totally illogical: Balls do not have edges.

But, by the time of Columbus the earth's being a Globe was totally entrenched in Western and probably even Middle Eastern society that the whole idea seems totally implausible.

If Charles Johnson really did claim that, it says more about his powers of logic, or the lack thereof, than the shape of the earth.
It's you modern neo-Flat Earthism Cult adherents that have tried to change things.

I think I'd believe these folk before anything Charles Johnson said!
  • Hellenic world: Archimedes, etc.
  • Hellenistic world: Eratosthenes (276 BC – 195 BC).
  • Ancient India: Aryabhata (476–550)
  • Islamic world: Iraqi Caliph al-Ma'mun (786-833), Persian Abu Rayhan al-Biruni (973–1048)
  • Early and Medieval Europe: English Venerable Bede (673–735), French John of Sacrobosco (c. 1195–c. 1256), French John Buridan (1301–1358) and French Nicholas Oresme (1320–1382).
Or are they all too Big Science for you?

And the Globe seems to have been used as a navigation tool before Columbus
BEHAIM, MARTIN
Martin Behaim (1459-1537) was a German mapmaker, navigator, and merchant. Behaim made the earliest globe, called the "Nürnberg Terrestrial Globe". It was made during the years 1490-1492; the painter Georg Glockendon helped in the project. Behaim had previously sailed to Portugal as a merchant (in 1480). He had advised King John II on matters concerning navigation. He accompanied the Portuguese explorer Diogo Cam (Cão) on a 1485-1486 voyage to the coast of West Africa; during this trip, the mouth of the Congo River was discovered.
After returning to Nürnberg in 1490, Behaim began construction of his globe (which was very inaccurate as compared to other maps from that time, even in the areas in which Behaim had sailed).

It was once thought that Behaim's might may have influenced Columbus and Magellan; this is now discounted. Behaim may have also developed an astrolabe. Behaim's globe is now in the German National Museum in Nürnberg.

Sure looks like the idea of a Globe was well entrenched well before Columbus and nobody seemed too worried about falling over the edge.

Give it up, rabinoz............You will never catch up with Sandokhan  !!!!

Chorus:

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »

Ummm...  You do realize that the Columbus flat earth story is a myth, don't you?
As early as the sixth century B.C., Pythagoras — and later Aristotle and Euclid — wrote about the Earth as a sphere. Ptolemy wrote “Geography” at the height of the Roman Empire, 1,300 years before Columbus sailed, and considered the idea of a round planet as fact.

“Geography” became a standard reference, and Columbus himself owned a copy. For him, the big question was not the shape of the Earth but the size of the ocean he wanted to cross.
Owning a copy of a book is hardly proof that he agrees with it. However, yes, its commonly accepted that Columbus thought the earth was round and there was no dispute to the shape of the earth in his mind (or in his time with a few notable counter-examples.) This is contained within the article I linked, markjo.

Johnson, however, here asserts that he thought it was flat.

To all those discussing the 'edge' of the ball, yes there is an edge to a ball, given the particular view he is referencing. At one point in history, there was an argument concerning the antipode. I misstated it was Aquinas - it was actually Lactantius that put forth the argument. It is very clear that is what Johnson here is talking about, especially given his opinions with his wife concerning Australia.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Lactantius
Can anyone be so foolish as to believe that there are men whose feet are higher than their heads, or places where things may be hanging downwards, trees growing backwards, or rain falling upwards? Where is the marvel of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon if we are to allow of a hanging world at the Antipodes?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Of course, the view was held far longer than his life. There is an image somewhere of a globe, with the water running off its edges. I will attempt to find it, but I saw it over a decade ago. They usually leave that out of the classroom books, unfortunately. They like to think of science as this teleological process when in fact it is very much the opposite.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:59:22 PM by John Davis »

Straight

• We should put all "SCIENTISTS" behind BARS
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Hey John Davis, how can I become a full-fledged Flat Earth Society Member and get one of those coins?  :-*

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
We will be having another enrollment period in the coming months. Due to our popularity, and infamous beliefs, I'm spending some extra time on the ecommerce portion of the whole thing.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

From your link:

Mutinies were so natural in the Age of Discovery that they could be reliably expected to occur in just about any bold seafaring enterprise. They were a normal part of taking risks together in organized but uncertain settings. Leaders and members abided by an authority structure, but proximity during an enterprise made for a certain sense of equality. All leaders directly experienced mutiny. Great leaders knew how to respond effectively to mutiny, often through means so artful as to transform it into success.

Three days after leaving port, crew on the Pinta, reluctant to keep sailing away from familiar territory, sabotaged its rudder. Such bothersome matters as sabotage stemmed in part from the royal decree given to Columbus. It prohibited Portuguese from joining the enterprise and authorized exoneration of crimes for those Castilians who did join.

You need to choose your sources better if you want them to back up your stupid ideas.
Yes, that was the intended citation. It doesn't seem like a far stretch that there was indeed a mutiny. In many textbooks at the time he talked of this, it was written that this mutiny was due to the idea of a flat earth scaring the sailors. Johnson here is turning that around and stating the opposite. And the facts agree - the general consensus was that the earth was round!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
I'm sure they mutinied also about the Portuguesse decree. I have a family member that happens to be the expert on Columbus. I will reach out to him and see what he has to say.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Give it up, rabinoz............You will never catch up with Sandokhan  !!!!
i'm trying, I'm trying, some say that I'm very trying!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
As it turns out, he does not own a computer. I will have to reach out via letter to Nito Verdera.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
Yes, that was the intended citation. It doesn't seem like a far stretch that there was indeed a mutiny. In many textbooks at the time he talked of this, it was written that this mutiny was due to the idea of a flat earth scaring the sailors. Johnson here is turning that around and stating the opposite. And the facts agree - the general consensus was that the earth was round!
I guess you know the story full well, but . . .
Quote from: Darin Hayton, HISTORIAN OF SCIENCE
Washington Irving’s Columbus and the Flat Earth
For generations now American school children have learned that Christopher Columbus proved the earth was round. They have learned that the Church tried to prevent Columbus from sailing west to Asia, fearing that he and his seamen would sail off the edge of the earth or plunge into a chasm.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The only problem, as any historian or historian of science will tell you: it’s a myth.

Like any beloved myth, the Columbus story mixes truths and truthiness, something that seems so natural and so obviously true but isn’t. Columbus did face opposition. He did persevere. He did sail west. He did find land (not Asia as he had predicted and continued to believe but the New World). But these truths have nothing to do with the shape of the earth—Columbus and all his detractors knew that the earth was round.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The seeds of the Columbus myth seem to grow from Washington Irving’s biography of Columbus, A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus (1828) (online here). Alexander Everett, Minister Plenipotentiary to Spain, had invited Irving to Madrid in the hopes that Irving would translate a recently published collection of documents on Columbus. When Irving got there and had a chance to read the collection, he decided
that a history, faithfully digested from these various materials, was a desideratum in literature,
and would be a more acceptable work to my country, than the translation [he] had contemplated.
Read the rest in: Washington Irving’s Columbus and the Flat Earth, by Darin Hayton