Learn Physics the EASY way and be confident that you know how the Universe works

• 42 Replies
Nobody knows how The Universe works. And nobody will ever know.

We are mere minuscule beings in a more than enormous environment.

Any claim that states "we know" should be regarded with decent disbelief and lengthy laughter.
Claims that we know something about the universe, or everything about the universe? The first is possible, the second is ridiculous
FEers REers don't seem to see the link between their lifes being bad loveless & barely tolerable and being stupid enslaved.
Fixed.
You know, this is pointless. Why not give evidence for a flat earth? Put up or shut up.

I was commenting on 'Round Earthers', not on the shape of the earth itself.

In case you haven't noticed, I do not give a flying fuck about the shape of 'the earth'.

Nobody normal does.

What works, works; that's all you need to know.
If you don't care what shape the earth is, why are you here.
And it's funny how FEers forget that 99.999% of people think the earth is a sphere, 99.999% of people are loveless and barely tolerable.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not

It's a figure of speach. Just as a tent will completely surround someone, so does the universe completely surround us.
But that's only you're interpretation, the internet has lots of images of flat earth with a dome/tent but none showing you're figure of speech, ball/tent.
You must have much better examples of the bible promoting RE as you seem very vocal about it for some reason, can you show us some?
Don't  try dodging again, put up or shut up!

I'm not, prove that there's a dome.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

?

tappet

It's a figure of speach. Just as a tent will completely surround someone, so does the universe completely surround us.
But that's only you're interpretation, the internet has lots of images of flat earth with a dome/tent but none showing you're figure of speech, ball/tent.
You must have much better examples of the bible promoting RE as you seem very vocal about it for some reason, can you show us some?

Have I said there is a dome? NO.
Have I said the earth is flat? NO.
I have made no claims, so I have to prove nothing!
You on the other hand, are running around claiming the bible proves round earth. They are your claims so back them up.

You on the other hand, are running around claiming the bible proves round earth. They are your claims so back them up.

I never said the Bible proves around earth, only that it confirms it. In the RE model the universe completely surrounds the earth. I don't think anyone would disagree with this point. So just as a tent completely surrounds a person so does the universe surrounds the earth.

?

tappet

I never said the Bible proves around earth, only that it confirms it. In the RE model the universe completely surrounds the earth. I don't think anyone would disagree with this point. So just as a tent completely surrounds a person so does the universe surrounds the earth.
Tents are flat on the bottom,
 "He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in"
Flat bottom tent, flat earth.
For your interpretation you would need a bag,
"He gets a plastic bag and ties a knot in the end and they live in it"
Round plastic bag round earth.
Go and read your bible again!

Tents are flat on the bottom,
 "He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in"
Flat bottom tent, flat earth.
For your interpretation you would need a bag,
"He gets a plastic bag and ties a knot in the end and they live in it"
Round plastic bag round earth.
Go and read your bible again!
In the KJV it says "tent". Actually you're reading it out of context. It says "that strectheth out the heavens AS a curtain, and spreadeth them out AS a tent to dwell in". Its not saying that the earth is surrounded by a tent like universe, its saying that God spread the universe out like a tent. I didnt catch this until just now.

Nobody knows how The Universe works. And nobody will ever know.

We are mere minuscule beings in a more than enormous environment.

Any claim that states "we know" should be regarded with decent disbelief and lengthy laughter.
Claims that we know something about the universe, or everything about the universe? The first is possible, the second is ridiculous

"Something"? We can only look from upon the Earth and our vision is blurred, biased and bizarrely limited.

I merely reacted to the topic title that said "be confident that you know how the Universe works". A ridiculous claim for mere humans existing for some seconds on the Universe's calendar.
I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

The stars have been used for thousands of years to navigate at sea, the ancient Greeks could use the star for navigating. They knew how the positions of the stars worked. That's something about the universe.

feuk

• Flat Earth Believer
  • ^ hmmmmm
The stars have been used for thousands of years to navigate at sea, the ancient Greeks could use the star for navigating. They knew how the positions of the stars worked. That's something about the universe.

have any of these stars moved or disappeared since being observed by humans ?

Just asking.
"How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It's not easy to become sane."

Just asking.

very unlikely because stars live for millions of years.

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?

Just asking.

Actually, there is evidence of recent stars going supernova. I have recently observed one for my self.

feuk

• Flat Earth Believer
  • ^ hmmmmm

Just asking.

[/quote]

And yet the story goes that the universe is billions of years old,
and dying stars all appear to be beyond unaided human observation,

Another convenient plot twist ?

"How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It's not easy to become sane."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer

Just asking.

Relative to us on earth, yes! The pole star appears to move, so over the millennia different stars become the pole star.
All from: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris#Role_as_pole_star
Historically, the celestial pole was close to Thuban around 2500 BCE

during classical antiquity, it was closer to Kochab

The Greek navigator Pytheas in ca. 320 BCE described the celestial pole as devoid of stars

However, as one of the brighter stars close to the celestial pole, Polaris was used for navigation at least from late antiquity, and described as ἀεί φανής (aei phanēs) "always visible" by Stobaeus (5th century). α UMi could reasonably be described as stella polaris from about the High Middle Ages.
This star will remain as "Polaris" for at least another century.

This apparent movement of the stars is not (significantly) due to any "proper" motion of the stars themselves, but is due to a slight "wobble" of the earth's axis - precession.

The stars do have a very small "proper motion", the largest being 10.3 arcseconds per year for Barnard's Star - an extremely small movement, but readily measurable  by astronomers.

PS  Don't ask me much more - ask some Astronomer on the forum.