telescopes, radar and LIDAR

• 33 Replies
Re: telescopes, radar and LIDAR
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
Firstly let's stick to the facts.
One of the previous posters said this:-

Describe what you would expect to see. You see Mars and Saturn through only a few miles of air.

I will be the first to admit that I was not as rigorous in the wording of this statement as I usually am, and my carelessness caused you confusion. I will gladly amend it:

"You see Mars and Saturn through the equivalent of only a few miles of air at sea level."

Glad to be of help.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
Please show me where I have claimed the counterposition to telescopes, lidar, and radar that you want me to argue. Alternatively, please show me where I volunteered to make that case even if it wasn't my own? Alternatively, give the petulance a rest.

So, you are still attacking phantoms? Neat.
Straw-men are easier to burn down than the real issues.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Please show me where I have claimed the counterposition to telescopes, lidar, and radar that you want me to argue. Alternatively, please show me where I volunteered to make that case even if it wasn't my own? Alternatively, give the petulance a rest.

So, you are still attacking phantoms? Neat.

You say there are phantoms here? Perhaps I’ll stand a better chance of getting some some answers from them.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 09:08:53 PM »
Possibly it’s time for a recap. The reason why the behaviour of radar is so significant is it proves the world has curvature.  Why is that the case? Radar waves propagate outward at the speed of light  keeping travelling until they bounce off something in their way and reflect backward to their point of origin where the signal is picked up by a receiver. Every ship that goes to sea is equipped with radar down even to small craft. The fact is the range of radar is limited, not due to the radar waves themselves  that travel in a straight line but due to the curvature of the Earth and how ships at sea will drop below the horizon which results in the radar waves passing over them, due to their no longer being line of sight as far as the radar is concerned.  This is why larger vessels with higher superstructure generally can see farther and small craft are harder to detect. The composition of the atmosphere has no or little effect as radar waves will happily pass through air, vacuum or water in the case of sonar. While radar wont detect a ship 100 miles away from its source it will happily bounce signals of very distant objects such as the moon. This fact is a difficult if not impossible one for flat earth believers to come to terms with as its not subject to any conspiracy go ask anyone with a small boat about their experience of using radar.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:11:11 PM by Timeisup »
Really…..what a laugh!!!