What do you think about gun control laws?

• 514 Replies
Re: What do you think about gun control laws?
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2022, 10:50:26 AM »

Correlation causation
So you think more hot burglaries happen because people arent afraid of getting shot?
Youre comparing % of hot vs cold.
How about volume and type in general?

Uk 2018 at 66M pop
Robbery 79,000
Burglary 432,000

Usa 2018 at 340M pop
Robbery 282,000
Burglary 2,500,000

Ill give you there are more robberies per capita.
But that could be a possibilty of definiton?
Usa Black people dont necessarily report all to police.

burglary - well the TOTAL is on par so maybe in UK there's always someone home?
it's unclear if there's any gun in the house correlation to hot vs cold and can attribute to work-life style differences.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingjune2018

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/robbery

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/research/burglary-statistics/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

I’ve heard the ratio of burglaries where someone is home compared to when the place is empty has shot up over the last couple of years.  Does this mean criminals are getting bolder and more willing to risk confrontation?  Or maybe  because we’ve hardly been going out?

Anyway, in the UK yeah, some kid sneaking in your home and nicking your shit while you sleep is quite common.  But “home invasion” where the perps intend to use or threaten violence is very rare.  It’s not something people worry about.

As for other crimes, correlation is not so high. But I do not think there is a situation in which having a gun hurts.

There’s plenty, even on an individual level.  But slack gun controls doesn’t just mean you get to have a gun, it means everyone does too.  If lots of the public have guns, all the criminals will carry  guns.   Why would that be safer?

« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2022, 11:35:25 AM »
yes i agree.
that was in the news about covid burglaries and porch pirates going up.
crime is all funny last two years so i've been looking at 2018 2019 stats to factor out covid and BLM.

(i wonder if the USA 2.5M includes porch pirates?)

either way
so far flatass hasn't justified/ quantified his need for a gun in croatia nor shown any understanding of how guns do the gunning.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2022, 12:33:29 AM »
When seconds matter Police are just minutes away.
Once you think about it, it is amazing that people insist that police prevents crime. Police almost always comes only after a psychopath has already murdered somebody. And then they put him in a place (prison or jail) not where he will rehabilitate, but from which he will return with even more psychological problems. Once you think about it, it seems that police is overwhelmingly likely to be counter-productive, rather than helping us, right?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2022, 12:37:53 AM »

Look, the fact that more people are saved by guns each year than killed by guns each year seems to be a pretty established science.

That's relatively easy to estimate, so that estimate is probably close to correct.

so your super established science gives you a range of 60,000-2,500,000?

= ME TO SAY NO.   IT IS NOT A VERY GOOD SCIENCE.
Considering that data collection is squashed by the nra.
So? You don't get to claim the opposite of what the science says just because science admits uncertainty. Similarly, just because the science is not certain whether Big Bang happened 12 billion years ago or 27 billion years ago (Hubble time) does not mean you can claim it is 10'000 years old. Ever heard of the "Appeal to uncertainty" informal logical fallacy?

Maybe   until you think about the scale of it.

In the span of the earth 1B years is being off 1M a big deal?
Woth the age of the universe, are we basing whether getting a gun is definitive?
What are the repercussions of decision making of being wrong?

Your logical fallacy of choice in this case is a false equivalency.
I don't quite understand what you mean. The estimates for how old the universe is (Hubble Time) range from around 12 billion to around 27 billion. That is more than 2 times a difference (27 billion minus 12 billion is 15 billion years, which is greater than 12 billion years). That, however, does not mean it is possible that it is less than 10'000 years old, as many creationists claim. Claiming that it is possible just because of that uncertainty is an Appeal to Uncertainty fallacy. And I think that you are committing that same fallacy when you reject the estimates of how often guns save lives.

This is what i mean -
No one is basing any decision making on the age of the universe!
How is that relevant? Do you understand what an analogy is?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2022, 12:40:58 AM »

So is a gun, unless you keep it loaded in your pants 24/7 and take it into the shower and sleep with it.

No gun is going to save you from someone shooting you from behind without warning.
If you are a victim of a burglary, would you rather have a gun in your house, or a telephone in your house?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2022, 01:02:48 AM »

Look, the fact that more people are saved by guns each year than killed by guns each year seems to be a pretty established science.

That's relatively easy to estimate, so that estimate is probably close to correct.

So? You don't get to claim the opposite of what the science says just because science admits uncertainty. Similarly, just because the science is not certain whether Big Bang happened 12 billion years ago or 27 billion years ago (Hubble time) does not mean you can claim it is 10'000 years old. Ever heard of the "Appeal to uncertainty" informal logical fallacy?

Woth the age of the universe, are we basing whether getting a gun is definitive?

I don't quite understand what you mean. The estimates for how old the universe is (Hubble Time) range from around 12 billion to around 27 billion. That is more than 2 times a difference (27 billion minus 12 billion is 15 billion years, which is greater than 12 billion years). That, however, does not mean it is possible that it is less than 10'000 years old, as many creationists claim. Claiming that it is possible just because of that uncertainty is an Appeal to Uncertainty fallacy. And I think that you are committing that same fallacy when you reject the estimates of how often guns save lives.

This is what i mean -

it's relevant in that your number is irrelevant.
do you understand that your analogy is a FALSE EQUIVALENCY since NO ONE IS making decisions of life and death based on a wild-ass guess.

« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2022, 01:05:29 AM »

So is a gun, unless you keep it loaded in your pants 24/7 and take it into the shower and sleep with it.

No gun is going to save you from someone shooting you from behind without warning.
If you are a victim of a burglary, would you rather have a gun in your house, or a telephone in your house?

how many people live in your house?
you live in a town house with neighbours?
take a guess how well drywall does at stopping bullets.
do you feel it's reasonable to have a full automatic weapon to shoot indoors?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2022, 01:16:41 AM »

To JJA's point, one would mostly likely need some element of surprise in order to gather a gun, possibly have to load it, then confront said burglar. As well, it's a complicated legal issue as to whether you can take up arms if the situation is questionable regarding personal safety.

Some States in the US will send you to jail if you shoot a burglar if the burglar has not threatened you in-kind. About half the States.

Even in these "Stand Your Ground" States, they have certain restrictions when it comes to using force in self-defense. For example, they may require that the threat of perceived harm is objectively reasonable and that the force used be proportional to the threat. Stand your ground laws may also require that the person using self-defense be at the location lawfully (no trespassing, for example) and not be the initial aggressor in the altercation.

There are some nuances to the laws as some apply to the home. Some apply to a place of business. Few apply to public space. Some apply to only when a felony is being committed, etc.

I'd definitely call 911 with the phone that's always within reach first before I'd go rummaging for my gun.

« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2022, 01:42:16 AM »
911 not gonna help you.
Deal with the threat first or at most have spouse kids call.
The intention of the burglar is unknown especially if youre female and he happens to be a rapist not a burglar.
And no one needs a license to have a knife bat shield spear mace dog (oh...ya maybe dog).

Also hes apparently in croatia.
Put into context for him.

And put in context - wtf you need a gun for, buddy?
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?
Its been 2pg of thread now ive been asking.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2022, 03:24:30 AM »

This is what i mean -

do you understand that your analogy is a FALSE EQUIVALENCY since NO ONE IS making decisions of life and death based on a wild-ass guess.
Sorry, but if those guesses are the only relevant data we have, then we ought to make decisions that might cost us life based on that. Better that than basing oneself on no data whatsoever.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2022, 03:34:29 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?
Well, like I have said, I do not think I am likely to need a gun. I want one for the same reason I took the COVID vaccine: I do not think I am likely to get seriously ill from COVID, but getting a vaccine provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience. Similarly, carrying a gun everywhere you go provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience. Any gun is probably better than no gun.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2022, 03:39:14 AM »

I'd choose to live somewhere where it's rare for burglars to have guns, then I won't need one. Japan would be nice.

So I'll pick a telephone. 

"I've called 911, the police are on their way" will likely make them leave.

If they have a gun and I have a gun and we start shooting, they are going to be in a life and death situation and want to kill me to save themselves. No thanks.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2022, 03:40:30 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?
Well, like I have said, I do not think I am likely to need a gun. I want one for the same reason I took the COVID vaccine: I do not think I am likely to get seriously ill from COVID, but getting a vaccine provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience. Similarly, carrying a gun everywhere you go provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience. Any gun is probably better than no gun.

Owning and carrying a gun around has many big inconveniences.

Do you remember the article I linked where a father shot and killed his daughter by accident thinking she was a burglar?  That's not a little inconvenience.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2022, 03:58:58 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?

Do you remember the article I linked where a father shot and killed his daughter by accident thinking she was a burglar?  That's not a little inconvenience.
Such things are uncommon enough to make it into the news when they do happen. Much like heart inflammations caused by COVID-19 vaccines are. The vast majority of deaths caused by guns are actually suicides. Homicides are relatively rare, and accidents are exceedingly rare.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2022, 05:44:53 AM »
Quote from: Themightykabool link=topic=89883.msg2349732#msg2349732

Sorry, but if those guesses are the only relevant data we have, then we ought to make decisions that might cost us life based on that. Better that than basing oneself on no data whatsoever.

You were given much better data.
You chose to ignore it because you want a gun.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:47:49 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2022, 05:46:39 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?
Well, like I have said, I do not think I am likely to need a gun. I want one for the same reason I took the COVID vaccine: I do not think I am likely to get seriously ill from COVID, but getting a vaccine provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience. Similarly, carrying a gun everywhere you go provides you with significant protection while causing little or no inconvenience.

Any gun is probably better than no gun.

Good
Then in your case any gun is worse as you have no justification for it, and the communiy has manymany justification against it.

Any gun better than no gun?
And there we go again.
Showing no concept or undeestanding of your want for use function = you owning is bad.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:49:52 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2022, 05:51:56 AM »
The vast majority of deaths caused by guns are actually

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

So you being off your meds and having no understanding of how guns gun, you fall into all categories of potential disaster.
Great.
Application denied.
The system works.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:53:36 AM by Themightykabool »

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2022, 07:10:40 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?

Such things are uncommon enough to make it into the news when they do happen. Much like heart inflammations caused by COVID-19 vaccines are. The vast majority of deaths caused by guns are actually suicides. Homicides are relatively rare, and accidents are exceedingly rare.

No, your stats are wrong.  About half of gun deaths are homicides and about half are suicides. The 'vast majority' are not suicides.

Homicides are not relatively rare, they are half the deaths!

If you think having a loaded gun you don't really need around you 24/7 is safe, you really shouldn't have one. 

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

So you being off your meds and having no understanding of how guns gun, you fall into all categories of potential disaster.
Great.
Application denied.
The system works.

Yes, Doctor Kabool I concur, the patient shows a rapidly increasing ability to discount all evidence that contradicts his inbuilt world view, no matter how strong, and this is before he comes of his medication.
My recommendation is that under no circumstance should he be allowed a firearm and I would review the decision to end his treatment too.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2022, 09:39:36 AM »
Weasels get crushed in the internal reclining bars of a layZboy.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2022, 12:17:33 AM »

The data you are giving me is a lot harder to interpret. Perhaps countries with higher gun ownership do indeed tend to have higher violent crime (although I doubt it is true, as UK has very few guns and has a lot more violent crime than most countries in Europe), but there are countless other factors (education...). The data about how many lives guns save per year versus how many they take is a lot easier to interpret.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2022, 12:31:17 AM »
For the streets?
For home?
Both?
What gun you want?

No, your stats are wrong.  About half of gun deaths are homicides and about half are suicides. The 'vast majority' are not suicides.

If you think having a loaded gun you don't really need around you 24/7 is safe, you really shouldn't have one.
OK, anyway, accidental deaths due to guns are rare enough to make it into the news when they happen. They are not something to be afraid of more than being attacked by a physically stronger person that you need a gun to defend yourself from.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2022, 12:35:04 AM »

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

Great.
Application denied.
The system works.

Yes, Doctor Kabool I concur, the patient shows a rapidly increasing ability to discount all evidence that contradicts his inbuilt world view, no matter how strong, and this is before he comes of his medication.
My recommendation is that under no circumstance should he be allowed a firearm and I would review the decision to end his treatment too.
And, what do you think about the theory that taking Risperidone for too long actually causes schizophrenia? If you think I should continue taking Risperidone, do you take responsibility if I get schizophrenia then?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2022, 12:36:55 AM »

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

Great.
Application denied.
The system works.

And, what do you think about the theory that taking Risperidone for too long actually causes schizophrenia? If you think I should continue taking Risperidone, do you take responsibility if I get schizophrenia then?

I'll take that responsibility

Keep taking it. Or some other meds. Their is something abnormal with your brain. Your posts clearly demonstrate this. In fact, just check yourself into an asylum. Your thinking is that deranged and divorced from reality

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2022, 02:16:47 AM »

OK, also, good luck surviving an Earth quake where you get smashed by 37 tones of bricks.
Pretend you can postulate beyond your feelings.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2022, 02:39:05 AM »

OK, anyway, accidental deaths due to guns are rare enough to make it into the news when they happen. They are not something to be afraid of more than being attacked by a physically stronger person that you need a gun to defend yourself from.
[/quote]

I can count zero times in my life where pulling out a gun and shooting someone would have made the situation or outcome better.

If you want to live in constant fear of being attacked, go ahead.  That gun is more likely to hurt you than protect you.

« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2022, 02:26:09 AM »

The data you are giving me is a lot harder to interpret. Perhaps countries with higher gun ownership do indeed tend to have higher violent crime (although I doubt it is true, as UK has very few guns and has a lot more violent crime than most countries in Europe), but there are countless other factors (education...). The data about how many lives guns save per year versus how many they take is a lot easier to interpret.

How is it easy?
Give us a very easy example of why a range of 50,000-2,500,000 is perfectly easy to interpret.

Lets start by easily listing all the wasy disclaimers into how the low and high numbers were generated.

« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2022, 02:30:11 AM »

OK, also, good luck surviving an Earth quake where you get smashed by 37 tones of bricks.
Pretend you can postulate beyond your feelings.

I didnt say that.
But yes.
Those usa cowboys thinking theyll pull out their guns during a shoot out are wrong.
Cops wear vests for a reason.
Because an ambush is an ambush.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 08:31:40 AM by Themightykabool »

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2022, 02:54:13 AM »

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

Great.
Application denied.
The system works.

Keep taking it. Or some other meds. Their is something abnormal with your brain. Your posts clearly demonstrate this. In fact, just check yourself into an asylum. Your thinking is that deranged and divorced from reality
What do you think that I should tell my psychiatrist? Should I tell her that I want a gun for personal protection? That is hardly a sign of mental illness, considering that a third of America does that. They cannot all be mentally ill.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2022, 03:09:42 AM »

suicides.

Homicides

accidents

Great.
Application denied.
The system works.

What do you think that I should tell my psychiatrist? Should I tell her that I want a gun for personal protection? That is hardly a sign of mental illness, considering that a third of America does that. They cannot all be mentally ill.

Americans aren't known for being very bright. Why copy their stupidity?

A gun wont make you safer. I'd be shit scared if a mentally disturbed person got a gun for their safety. God knows what the voices in your head are saying about people

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place