Earth to be Proven Round Soon

• 274 Replies

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
Re: Earth to be Proven Round Soon
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
Well because of your immaturity and unnatural ignorance you have failed at another post.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)

« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
But I enjoy pwning the FE theory.  ???

Haha well please dont let me stop you lol

And Ski, it is truly unfortunate. You sir have got NASA-like skills lol
What about an inside-out or banana shaped earth...
90-42 does not equal 48. You fail

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
Well because of your immaturity and unnatural ignorance you have failed at another post.

I'm still waiting for my apology.

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
That you don't deserve. Stop noobing or stop posting. Kthankxbai.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

It was more convincing than I initially thought it would be. I doubted my ability to make it, to be honest; I'm really not good at these things.
And it took less than five minutes. Imagine what I could do with a few billion dollars to fund my effort...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

It was more convincing than I initially thought it would be. I doubted my ability to make it, to be honest; I'm really not good at these things.
And it took less than five minutes. Imagine what I could do with a few billion dollars to fund my effort...

I'd hope that you'd manage pictures that were less blurry, but maybe that's just me being hypercritical. 

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
Do you have proof you did it in five minutes?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »

I'd hope that you'd manage pictures that were less blurry, but maybe that's just me being hypercritical. 

I had to make it blurry because of all the "atmosphere" between my telescope and the space station.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2008, 04:55:41 PM »
Do you have proof you did it in five minutes?

« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »
Trying to demonstrate faulty logic with similarly faulty logic is fail. 
No. By using faulty logic, I showed that his logic was faulty.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
You didn't read the quote, did you?

This is the oldest, and one of the weakest forms of troll behavior. It also is fail. We read everything you post, and simply cannot care enough to reply directly. What you say has been said. What you claim has been said. What you want will never be. Cope.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »
Ski, I approve of your excellent posting in this thread, and your excellent manner and comportment. Another victory for FE!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »
Trying to demonstrate faulty logic with similarly faulty logic is fail. 
No. By using faulty logic, I showed that his logic was faulty.
I'm afraid logic doesn't work that way.  I realize that this is just an Internet forum and that the burden of proof and the general level of discourse tends towards lowest common denominator, but if make a conscious choice not to stoop so low in your own arguments, you might see others raise their game as well.  In short, you're better than that. 

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2008, 07:10:40 AM »
He really isn't.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
It proves you and NASA could easily make pictures of "objects in orbit". Have fun with your sidewalk astronomy. Everyone needs a hobby.
I can't make satellites appear to fly through the telescope to the human eye.  Try again, and by all means come to a public viewing in florida if you ever get the chance so I can personally dispell this nasty myth you seem to believe.  Furthermore, you just caused your argument to be that all amateur astronomers who participate in satellite photography and videography must be in on the "conspiracy" - thank you for supporting my original argument on this forum and making your "theory" seem even less likely.  So why is it again that not a single damn amateur astronomer has come forward saying they can't find the space station when they look for it?  And thank you for confirming that you it takes digital image manipulation to produce the hoax, not possible in live viewing through an eyepiece in person.  You've done more to condemn your own theory than I ever could have by biting my bait.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:16:34 AM by messierhunter »

« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
I do not have a telescope of sufficient power even if I so desired.
Good thing many others who do volunteer their time and their telescope at public viewing and sidewalk astronomy sessions all over the world.

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »
Has anyone noticed the side supposedly on the side of rational science is the side that seems consistently to resort to personal attacks, hyperbole and irrationality when confronted with a conflicting point of view?  I'm not advocating one side or the other, I've been lurking this forum for a long time but just now signed up for an account.  It definitely seems like the FE side of things has a better sense of humor.  Kudos to ski for a well-done ruse and a 2 minute minor penalty to messierhunter for poor form. 
I'm sorry, being put on trial and then flat out lied to is not "good form" or "good humor."

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Kudos to Ski though on his pic.....

A pity I was born a bit too late to make billions on my scam.
Oh really, you think you can make billions by delivering fuzzy pictures of the space station while claiming you took them with your non-existent telescope?  For the love of god, where do I sign up?!

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
Do you know how to paragraph?

« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2008, 03:15:38 AM »
More damning proof of earth's roundness:

While a missing shoreline in my pre-launch photo was compelling evidence, I wanted something more quantitative, so I set about measuring where the hidden bottom of the launch pad should be in the photo.  Since the pad was about 12 miles away in the photo, the effect of the earth's curvature should be even more obvious.  Of course this begs the question, how can someone figure out where the bottom of the pad should be when you can't see it in the photo?  Well, we know how high the pad is and we know the size of the shuttle.  I started by measuring a later photo when the shuttle had just cleared the launch tower and found that the SRB was 953 pixels long at the original rez.  Since we know that the SRBs are 149.16 ft long, that corresponds to 6.39 pixels per foot.  The total height of the launch pad from the top of the lightning mast to ground level is 389 feet.  That corresponds to 2485 pixels.  I drew a line exactly that long at the original rez from the top of the mast straight down.  I then drew an identical line starting at exactly the same height but offset to the side so that it would be directly over the river in the picture.  Sure enough, the line dips well below the top of the water.  This cannot be explained by "perspective effects"

And here's the image of the shuttle clearing the tower used to establish scale:

All measurements were made at the original resolution before being resized for the web.

« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
No response?  I'll take that as a major compliment.

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
I think they're all too stunned with your complete inability to paragraph quote and your apparent inability to grasp sarcasm. Of course you posted at 3:15am and then expected someone to retort between then and 9am.  Maybe you haven't figured it out yet, but most people (FEers included) have regular jobs and lives that consume most of their time.  I wouldn't necessarily assume that their silence is vindication of your position, just that they have a more active life than you apparently do. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:04:54 AM by uglykidjoe »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »
And that it doesn't really need a rebuttal, you just typed words, there weren't any points. So fucking what, you drew two lines and we're all supposed to go "Oh, the Earth must be round then". That would only happen if they were magic.

« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:05 AM »
I think they're all too stunned with your complete inability to paragraph quote and your apparent inability to grasp sarcasm. Of course you posted at 3:15am and then expected someone to retort between then and 9am. 
Maybe you haven't figured it out yet, but it was only 3:15am in one part of the world, and that was not MY part of the world.  Maybe you also haven't figured out that the only relevant bit of information you can derive is that 6 hours passed between my posts and during that time this forum had plenty of activity from the regular members on other threads while this one sank to the bottom.  And lastly, where the fuck in my last post do you see me quoting anyone?  Honestly, all you do is criticise my posting style.  You claim others have a "more active life" but I wouldn't know it from reading your posts.

« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2008, 09:44:18 AM »
And that it doesn't really need a rebuttal, you just typed words, there weren't any points. So fucking what, you drew two lines and we're all supposed to go "Oh, the Earth must be round then". That would only happen if they were magic.
Actually I gave you a proof, which oddly enough, contains words AND numbers (what a concept!).  If you understood the meaning of my words and the significance of the figures presented you'd realize I had just provided proof that the earth is curved.  Would you like to see the original image files at full resolution with intact EXIF data so you can verify my numbers?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »
No they wouldn't.

WIN FOR RE!

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
Actually I gave you a proof, which oddly enough, contains words AND numbers (what a concept!).  If you understood the meaning of my words and the significance of the figures presented you'd realize I had just provided proof that the earth is curved.  Would you like to see the original image files at full resolution with intact EXIF data so you can verify my numbers?

All you might have managed to demonstrate (that's even questionable due the poor quality of your explanation and the picture in question) is that the land in question is somewhat bumpy and inconsistent.  This doesn't pass a proof that the earth is universally round, just that you managed to find a bump. 

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »
And that trees are opaque.

« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

All you might have managed to demonstrate (that's even questionable due the poor quality of your explanation and the picture in question) is that the land in question is somewhat bumpy and inconsistent.  This doesn't pass a proof that the earth is universally round, just that you managed to find a bump. 

Oh yeah, because a bump explains why a launch pad at sea level appears much too LOW to a camera positioned 12 miles away at sea level.  And by the way, if you want to criticise the quality of my explanation then why don't you point out specific problems you have with it rather than speak in vague generalities?  As for the quality of my pictures, I have the full 10 megapixel images available, so quality is only limited by how big an image you're willing to put up with.

?

uglykidjoe

• Mmmm pastry!
« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »

Oh yeah, because a bump explains why a launch pad at sea level appears much too LOW to a camera positioned 12 miles away at sea level.  And by the way, if you want to criticise the quality of my explanation then why don't you point out specific problems you have with it rather than speak in vague generalities?  As for the quality of my pictures, I have the full 10 megapixel images available, so quality is only limited by how big an image you're willing to put up with.

One major problem with your "proof" is that you're trying to use sea-level as a valid, static unit of measurement.  It's not.  In fact, its far more variable in a round earth model than in a flat earth model.  Perhaps you should do some more research on things like "True Altitude" aka. MSL or Mean Sea Level and sea surface topography.  Unless you want to go ahead and keep referring sea level as a static, valid unit of measurement, in which case I'm sure the FEers would happily declare a win.