If it is on the internet, it must be true!

• 21 Replies

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
If it is on the internet, it must be true!
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
It absolutely blows my mind that people actually believe articles that come from theonion.com are true.

http://literallyunbelievable.tumblr.com/

In this link link, it is a catalog of loads of people on facebook that read these articles, freaked out, and posted them.

The Onion is essentially a Landover Baptist for the news. Do these people really not do any lurking or even critical thinking before they accept something to be true?

This seems to be a common trend for people in America that are not aware of the trickery of the internet.

?

Horatio

• Official Member
Re: If it is on the internet, it must be true!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
This thread is amusing in a way that I doubt you realize.
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:00:23 PM »
It absolutely blows my mind that people actually believe articles that come from theonion.com are true.

In this link link, it is a catalog of loads of people on facebook that read these articles, freaked out, and posted them.

The Onion is essentially a Landover Baptist for the news. Do these people really not do any lurking or even critical thinking before they accept something to be true?

This seems to be a common trend for people in America that are not aware of the trickery of the internet.

Are you positive you haven't just made the same mistake they did?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
These people do exist in mass quantities. Whether or not all of these specific people are genuine is unknowable, but the devastating sentiment is valid.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
Pretty sure some of them are just trolling along.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »
For the purposes of convincing their facebook friends they are morons?

Perhaps the ones that goad others on, but I do think that it is generally a massive collection of fail.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Actually, what if this is a triple bluff?! I think that Gent thinks that these people think that the Onion's real but in actual fact neither the people, nor Gent are real and I've been strung along like a balloon on a string? But what if my reaction isn't real? what if I secretly believe that Gent thinks that these people think that the Onion is real? Am I real? Have I ever left the cave?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
ITT: Unnecessary extension of questioning.

I love it.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
ITT: Unnecessary extension of questioning.

I love it.

Welcome to the Flat Earth Society bro.

Vindictus

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
For the purposes of convincing their facebook friends they are morons?

Perhaps the ones that goad others on, but I do think that it is generally a massive collection of fail.

Na, but some of the comments. At least, I hope they're trolling along.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
Actually, what if this is a triple bluff?! I think that Gent thinks that these people think that the Onion's real but in actual fact neither the people, nor Gent are real and I've been strung along like a balloon on a string? But what if my reaction isn't real? what if I secretly believe that Gent thinks that these people think that the Onion is real? Am I real? Have I ever left the cave?
Is that a quadruple troll? Have you just tried to make us believe that EG thinks these people believe the onion is real?

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 05:43:06 PM »
I told my dad about this and he's never even heard of The Onion. 

So I guess if you don't know The Onion and you think it really is a legitimate news source then it's possible to believe this stuff.
I mean, that's how Viruses get transmitted via e-mail isn't it?  A friend posts a link and others thinks it's safe and legitimate because "Why would my friend send me something that isn't true?"
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Vindictus

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
I wouldn't believe "Obama giving out parrots", no matter where it came from.

Lorddave

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
I wouldn't believe "Obama giving out parrots", no matter where it came from.
Unless you hate Obama with an irrational passion and feel he's a stupid, spending, Democrat who will do anything to get re-elected but will fail because America is wise to his tricks.

Also:
Birthers.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
It would be hard for me to imagine that people would believe that they would drag out the last four minutes of the Harry Potter series into 7 movies if I didn't already know how stupid some people really are.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Vindictus

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
Unless you hate Obama with an irrational passion and feel he's a stupid, spending, Democrat who will do anything to get re-elected but will fail because America is wise to his tricks.

Also:
Birthers.

But then you're an idiot anyway.

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »

Also:
Birthers.

But then you're an idiot anyway.
You can be an idiot before posting such stupidity on Facebook.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »
It absolutely blows my mind people blieve this
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:35 AM »

Either trolls or cretins. I hope for our sakes trolls.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »

I fixed your post, bro.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »
The Onion is published in Boulder, so it's on street corners and stuff here.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
"New Anti-Abortion Pill kills mother, leaves fetus alive."

I lol'd so hard.