Why is it so hard to get into space?

• 137 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Re: Why is it so hard to get into space?
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:47 PM »
Vauxhall, there are many things which you can deduce by seeing the end result.  For example, because this website exists I can deduce that it's hosted on a web server somewhere even though I have never seen that server.  I have never met you in person yet I can deduce that you exist because you are posting on this forum.  You also often have to rely on technology to see the world like electron microscopes which actually can see carbon atoms bonding.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Quail

• I can't sea gull.
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »
So what noise do the lasers make as they propel the cargo up the LOLotube space-beanstalk?

Do they go 'pew! pew!' like in Star Wars, or an oscillating 'ooWooWooWoo' like in Star Trek?

I need the information cos I'm performing a 'thought experiment' on the subject & want it to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks, space-cultists!

Most lasers function in bursts and make loud abrupt banging noises when firing.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »
Quail: Thank you.

I have now concluded my 'thought experiment' on the subject of space-elevators.

& the result was: ROFLCOPTER!!!

Enjoy your sci-fi fantasy world; I'll continue enjoying reality.

It's a pretty cool place; try it -  you might enjoy it!

Toodle-pip, Cultists...

P.s. Sokarul: YOU have the cheek to call ME 'dumb' for not believing a word of this claptrap?

LOL!!!

That's a beauty!
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

Quail

• I can't sea gull.
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »
Quail: Thank you.

I have now concluded my 'thought experiment' on the subject of space-elevators.

& the result was: ROFLCOPTER!!!

Enjoy your sci-fi fantasy world; I'll continue enjoying reality.

It's a pretty cool place; try it -  you might enjoy it!

Toodle-pip, Cultists...

P.s. Sokarul: YOU have the cheek to call ME 'dumb' for not believing a word of this claptrap?

LOL!!!

That's a beauty!
So you thought about space elevators and somehow your conclusion was a very old Internet meme. If all of us would only enjoy "reality" and never dream, humanity would have never even survived because we would have failed to invent anything, especially clothes for winter.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Yes, quail: Clothes are like Space-Elevators...

Already been there & done that with the false analogies, so please let's not do it again...

You enjoy your fantasies, ok? Just don't expect me to be as enthusiastic.

Bye-bye, space-cultists!

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:31 PM »
Yes, quail: Clothes are like Space-Elevators...

Already been there & done that with the false analogies, so please let's not do it again...

You enjoy your fantasies, ok? Just don't expect me to be as enthusiastic.

Bye-bye, space-cultists!

If by fantasies you mean hope for the future then yes, I will enjoy that.  What I will enjoy more though is the look on your face when you figure out that space travel is real, but something tells me that even a ride to space wouldn't convince the more stubborn flat earthers.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
How, precisely, will you 'enjoy the look on my face when I find out space travel is real', mikeman.nasa.gov?

Are you hiding in my wardrobe?

Stalking me everywhere?

Whatever; you're in for a looooooooong wait so I hope you brought a packed lunch.

Btw, if you ARE hiding in my wardrobe, that's fine; I quite like the idea of having my own little pet NASA-cultist.

But remember: the wardrobe is NOT a toilet, ok?

Just tap lightly 3 times & I'll let you out for a break; we'll just pretend it never happened...

But enough of that; back to space-lifts & how hard it is to get into space - cos ISN'T IT JUST???

Quail

• I can't sea gull.
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
How, precisely, will you 'enjoy the look on my face when I find out space travel is real', mikeman.nasa.gov?

Stalking me everywhere?

Whatever; you're in for a looooooooong wait so I hope you brought a packed lunch.

Btw, if you ARE hiding in my wardrobe, that's fine; I quite like the idea of having my own little pet NASA-cultist.

Just tap lightly 3 times & I'll let you out for a break; we'll just pretend it never happened...

But enough of that; back to space-lifts & how hard it is to get into space - cos ISN'T IT JUST???
Calling someone you dont even know a cultist is about as logical as walking up to a random person on the street and calling them a jew.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2015, 06:20:18 PM »

Stalking me everywhere?

I was just saying that your face would be priceless.

Also, nobody ever said that making a space elevator would be easy.  It would requires the economic power of the entire would to make such a massive project possible.  Getting into space is very hard, but private space agencies are working on making it something the general public can do.  Maybe you should look into buying a ticket so you can look down on the Earth and see how incredibly round it is.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »

Stalking me everywhere?

I was just saying that your face would be priceless.

Also, nobody ever said that making a space elevator would be easy.  It would requires the economic power of the entire would to make such a massive project possible.  Getting into space is very hard, but private space agencies are working on making it something the general public can do.  Maybe you should look into buying a ticket so you can look down on the Earth and see how incredibly round it is.
Its sad that, nowadays, space investigation is exclusivelly private. NASA has become "Lockheed Martin: Tax evasion department", and no other public agency gets nowhere as near. A public agency is required. Someone call Jesus to kick the merchants out of publically founded agencies.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Damn, Quail; you just will not give it up with the false analogies, will you?

But as that's pretty much all you have to justify your belief in NASA's space-fantasies, it's not so surprising.

Anyhow, enough trying to smear me by association with your weird & vaguely anti-semitic remarks; back to how hard it is to get into space...

Cos ISN'T IT?

I mean, ISN'T IT REALLY???

Conker

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

But as that's pretty much all you have to justify your belief in NASA's space-fantasies, it's not so surprising.

Anyhow, enough trying to smear me by association with your weird & vaguely anti-semitic remarks; back to how hard it is to get into space...

Cos ISN'T IT?

To get to a non-stable low earth orbit such as the one the ISS "stays" at, around 27.600 km/h of orbital speed are required. The shortest USA coast to coast route is about 4100 km. Trip time: around 9 minutes. Do you know of any non-orbital vehicle that goes that fast? Before you try it, the fastest known plane is the HTV-2 Falcon, an experimental unmanned hypersonic scramjet developed by DARPA. Top speed: 21,000 km/h. A civilian Boeing 747 (which on itself is a marvel of engineering) 's cruise speed is around 920 km/h. You make the math.

Quail

• I can't sea gull.
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2015, 05:46:09 AM »

Cos ISN'T IT?

Stop avoiding my question, and answer already. The post that you are referring to did not even contain analogies, you are just resorting to personal attacks because you are either afraid of my question or unable to answer.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »

Cos ISN'T IT?

To get to a non-stable low earth orbit such as the one the ISS "stays" at, around 27.600 km/h of orbital speed are required. The shortest USA coast to coast route is about 4100 km. Trip time: around 9 minutes. Do you know of any non-orbital vehicle that goes that fast? Before you try it, the fastest known plane is the HTV-2 Falcon, an experimental unmanned hypersonic scramjet developed by DARPA. Top speed: 21,000 km/h. A civilian Boeing 747 (which on itself is a marvel of engineering) 's cruise speed is around 920 km/h. You make the math.

Right; but the ISS wasn't lifted to orbit with jets. Rockets are a bit different I hope you know?
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:50 AM »
Right; but the ISS wasn't lifted to orbit with jets. Rockets are a bit different I hope you know?
That depends on how pedantic you want to get about the definition of a jet.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Conker

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »

Cos ISN'T IT?

If you could get a jet to go that fast, it is possible that you could get a suborbital trajectory, just by pure ballistics. I was using jets as an example because they are among the fastest non-rocket propelled vehicles created, and everyone here agrees they work.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
But, jets are often rocket propelled.  I think you people should do some research in order to enlighten yourselves. 

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
But, jets are often rocket propelled.  I think you people should do some research in order to enlighten yourselves.
No. Some experimental jets have rockets as a propulsion. As far as I know, all jets use air breathing jet turbines. Afterburners in fighter jets are also air breathing, and so are ram jets used in the blackbird and some super high altitude high speed jets.
If there is a non-experimental jet flying with rockets I would love to know about it. Would you share your wisdom and give me an example?
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Conker

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2015, 06:22:41 AM »

A jet is called a jet because it uses a jet turbine (air-breathing) to propell itself. Some jets use JATO systems to take off, in the form of small rockets for very fast acceleration and/or beig able to get offf the floor effect with heavy aircraft. If a jet uses a rocket as propulsion, it is a rocket plane, not a jet. Some jets use hybrid rocket/jet propulsion, like the SABRE engine, but that's another issue.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2015, 06:47:40 AM »
Please do some research on rocket assisted take off and landing before you people make yourselves look even more like complete morons. 

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2015, 07:13:19 AM »
Please do some research on rocket assisted take off and landing before you people make yourselves look even more like complete morons.
I actually know about those. As you described rocket assisted take off and landing And as far as I know it is not at all used today, hence
But, jets are often rocket propelled.
is not true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO#Post_WWII
It is dangerous and expensive, and not often used outside of experimental use. It was used in WWII though.
I am lost, how is rocket assisted take off and landing relevant to anything?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »
I've heard of the military aircraft occasionally using rocket assisted take off (RATO/JATO), but I don't recall ever hearing of rocket assisted landing.  That is unless you're referring to things like SpaceX attempting to recover Falcon 9 first stages.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
I've heard of the military aircraft occasionally using rocket assisted take off (RATO/JATO), but I don't recall ever hearing of rocket assisted landing.  That is unless you're referring to things like SpaceX attempting to recover Falcon 9 first stages.
Welcome to craze military rescue idea " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Also turns out it was a bad idea  :P

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
Welcome to craze military rescue idea " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Also turns out it was a bad idea  :P
Oh, silly me.  I feel like such a moron.  :-[

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
I've helped construct plenty of elevator shafts, my level of education on the subject is just fine.

I'm taking the stairwells from now on.
Earth is flat because I am flat, and that's that. I am flat because god is flat and I was made in the great flounder's image.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2015, 10:40:53 PM »
It is more than hard, it is impossible. No one has gotten past the dome. Messing around with it is a bad idea likely, so just back off. I had a system figured out to get golf ball sized objects into orbit, but now after realizing there is no way to get past the dome it is of no use. Lets stop wasting money on the fake space programs and do something useful for mankind.

opps, doom to dome
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:00:53 PM by ronxyz »
If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

Conker

« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
It is more than hard, it is impossible. No one has gotten past the doom. Messing around with it is a bad idea likely, so just back off. I had a system figured out to get golf ball sized objects into orbit, but now after realizing there is no way to get past the doom it is of no use. Lets stop wasting money on the fake space programs and do something useful for mankind.
Can you please provide us with the evidence for space travel being impossible, and the system you figured out?

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
It is more than hard, it is impossible. No one has gotten past the doom. Messing around with it is a bad idea likely, so just back off. I had a system figured out to get golf ball sized objects into orbit, but now after realizing there is no way to get past the doom it is of no use. Lets stop wasting money on the fake space programs and do something useful for mankind.

Ooh, The doom! Shouldn't that be in a bold scary font?

The doom

Otherwise, readers will just think you're prattling complete rot. Oh, wait! There isn't a font scary enough...
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

ronxyz

• technologist
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
It is more than hard, it is impossible. No one has gotten past the dome. Messing around with it is a bad idea likely, so just back off. I had a system figured out to get golf ball sized objects into orbit, but now after realizing there is no way to get past the doom it is of no use. Lets stop wasting money on the fake space programs and do something useful for mankind.
Can you please provide us with the evidence for space travel being impossible, and the system you figured out?

The very fact that there is zero proof of anything being in space proves it's self. Mini probe launch, No, but very simple and easy to do.

If the Earth is a ball why don't we fall off the bottom?

Conker

« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »
It is more than hard, it is impossible. No one has gotten past the dome. Messing around with it is a bad idea likely, so just back off. I had a system figured out to get golf ball sized objects into orbit, but now after realizing there is no way to get past the doom it is of no use. Lets stop wasting money on the fake space programs and do something useful for mankind.

The very fact that there is zero proof of anything being in space proves it's self. Mini probe launch, No, but very simple and easy to do.

So if something hasnt been made before, that proves its impossible? Weird thing for a human to say, we base our entire culture about doing the imposible.
And glad that minilaunch is easy to do, but that doesnt answer me how