Time

• 109 Replies

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Time
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...stuff
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:42:48 PM by Chris Spaghetti »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...stuff

He looks very certified...  ;)
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2008, 03:45:34 AM »

He's The Doctor. You don't get much more certified.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »

He's the most certified. If time were women, he'd be a pimp.

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
Why wouldn't time just be a line?

That's too simple.  Welcome to FES.   :D
Thanks. I don't expect to be here too long though  :).

It depends on if you believe in multiple time lines/time line variations. Multiple dimensions are required for multiple lines.
Why would there be multiple time lines? There is only one future, past, and present.
Quote from: Dead Kangaroo
Quote from: T.T. Monsieur
I felt it. Punish me some more, master!
I'm sorry, I just put the cheese grater into the dishwasher, can you wait?

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
It depends on if you believe in multiple time lines/time line variations. Multiple dimensions are required for multiple lines.
I think that there could be alternate dimensions in which every possibility of something happening is played out. Like in some alternate dimension I misspell the word dimension and do not notice it. It is definitely something to think about when stoned.Duuuuude
I hate myself for coming here

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »

That's too simple.  Welcome to FES.   :D
Thanks. I don't expect to be here too long though  :).

Why would there be multiple time lines? There is only one future, past, and present.

A bold claim, care to prove it?

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
Do you remember multiple different pasts?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »
Do you remember multiple different pasts?

That's no proof, I don't remember what I did last week.. But seriously, we would only have memories of one of those time lines, the one we lived in.

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2008, 06:55:19 AM »
That's no proof, I don't remember what I did last week.. But seriously, we would only have memories of one of those time lines, the one we lived in.
Your assuming other time lines exist, or order to not remember them.
Occam's razor suggests it is more likely one time line exists, because the effect is the same, and one time line is simpler.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:56:58 AM by AdrianaT5363 »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2008, 07:05:09 AM »
Occam's razor suggests it is more likely one time line exists, because the effect is the same, and one time line is simpler.
Wrong. Perception of time is not a dependent or independent variable. It is irrelevant, and therefore cannot be used in Occam's razor. When two variables are unrelated, a distinction of simpler cause is a fallacy because there is no causation.
This is your structure:

Complex theory with x observed. Simple theory with x observed.
You assume x has a casual connection to the theory.

Also, quantum mechanics actually provides evidence for multiple parallel universes theories/multiple time line theories. Search or lurk moar.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:09:45 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »
I clumsily forgot to mention that Occam's Razor doesn't determine truth, but is a general guideline that is almost always helpful.  ;)

The One True Rat

• Cannot Understand Sarcasm
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
time is just a measurement of event order.
time being a line sugests that all events are determined.

i like to think of time as a funnel,
an infinately large possibility that gets smaller as it aproaches the present, at which point it becomes set in stone.
unless...

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
So your time line also reflects a measure of probability for certain events? As something is closer to the present, it is easier to predict more and is generally more accurate? To make sure I understand, is the past section a line as well with the present as the choke point and the funnel is only for the future?

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
I clumsily forgot to mention that Occam's Razor doesn't determine truth, but is a general guideline that is almost always helpful.  ;)

But it does determine what is most likely.

midgard

« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2008, 03:28:58 AM »

But it does determine what is most likely.

Really? In what way does it do this?

?

Dr Matrix

• In Soviet Russia, Matrix enters you!
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2008, 05:15:31 AM »
I like the Feynman/Wheeler time model, where events in the future and in the past influence what happens in the present - there is no 'arrow of time' in QM, so no reason why you can't have solutions to wave equations travelling back in time to make sure the right thing happens at the right time.  Of course, it's not an accepted model since it's impossible to disprove, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, how long have you been mod, Singularity?? Have I been gone that long?!
Quote from: Arthur Schopenhauer
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »
In truth, time is just a creation of Humans. It has no actual necessary use in most science.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
Also, how long have you been mod, Singularity?? Have I been gone that long?!

December 21, 2008, 09:53:47 PM Is the closet time and date I can give you.

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »
When it comes to Occam's Razor, don't take shaving lessons from Tom Bishop.

The universal top speed of the speed of light, time dilation, gravitational bending of space, relative frames - these are very counter intuitive concepts but the math supports them and they have lead to successful predictions of astronomical phenomena. 

Then we add quantum mechanics into the mix, wave/particle duality - the double slot experiment defies all logic.  As of right now, the concept of parallel timelines is actually taken seriously in physics.  It won't have a huge impact on your life in all likelihood as you cannot interact with them in any way, but they may very well exist.

Also, your memories are based on patterns of data stored in your brain that have been built up in this timeline - so not remembering them is of course expected, not a complicating factor.