Auguste Piccard

• 71 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Auguste Piccard
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
Quote from: Behemoth the Dinosaur link=topic=72054.msg1955935#msg1955935 date=1505693223When electricity is put through Argon gas it creates a blue photon that is unmistakably sky-blue ([b
this is how Neon lights work[/b]).

Neon produces red light

Hydrogen is the Nobel gas used for Red Neon light. Argon for blue.

I came here on a theory I have that the upper atmosphere is made up of Nobal gasses. The top layer being hydrogen as it being the lightest.
Hydrogen is not a noble gas. The noble gases are: helium (He), neon (Ne), argon (Ar), krypton (Kr), xenon (Xe), and the radioactive radon (Rn).

Quote from: Rell
Hydrogen glows from red to purple and  blue, I think there is one more colour there. It's colour is dependent on the wave length of radiation that passes through it, which I am assuming has to do with the intensity of the sun passing through it.
Very low pressure hydrogen glows when ionized by an electric current passing through it. Not simply by sunlight shining through it.

All the colours that it changes are seen in the sky from sunrise to sunset. That being said it makes sence to me that the most upper atmosphere is hydrogen, it has been stated scientifically that it is mai ly hydrogen, but they have little info on the upper atmosphere. Hydrogen is made by electrolysis of water, which I think is a natural action. Of the earth having a North and south Pole and ocean.  The subsequent layers of atmosphere are made up of gasses by their weight.
Below about 100 km the atmospheric composition is fairly uniform - it is fairly well mixed by air currents and diffusion.
Earth's atmosphere
Below the turbopause at an altitude of about 100 km, the Earth's atmosphere has a more-or-less uniform composition (apart from water vapor) as described above; this constitutes the homosphere. However, above about 100 km, the Earth's atmosphere begins to have a composition which varies with altitude.
Lots more details in there.

Hydrogen is the main component to water, removed from its oxygen particle, I'm thinking that waters above may have something to do with this.
I doubt it but there's only the slightest trace of hydrogen in the atmosphere.

You might read Why is the sky blue?. It's no mystery and even the night sky photographs a blue with an appropriate exposure.

Karijini National Park: Exposure: 2.0 sec at f/2.8
Those little bright dots in the Karijini National Park photo are stars :)!

But those gases do get ionised by the energetic electrons in the ionosphere and cause various effects from airglow to the Auroras.

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:55 AM »
https://images.app.goo.gl/akx4NzpTJSrewAaKA

It's based on wave lengths of radiation!

Also there is actually very little information on what is actually in the upper atmosphere, as it is too high for them to gather research.  What they do know is that it is made up of hydrogen, but they say it is in small quantities. So based on there lack or research, I figure there is still heaps of room for understanding.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161207093031.htm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:33:26 AM by Rell »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
https://images.app.goo.gl/akx4NzpTJSrewAaKA

It's based on wave lengths of radiation!

Also there is actually very little information on what is actually in the upper atmosphere, as it is too high for them to send research teams.  What they do know is that it is made up of hydrogen, but they say it is in small quantities. So based on there lack or research, I figure there is still heaps of room for understanding.
Where did you get the idea from that "there is actually very little information on what is actually in the upper atmosphere"?
Have you done any research into the topic?

I was referring to this part of your post:
Hydrogen glows from red to purple and  blue, I think there is one more colour there. It's colour is dependent on the wave length of radiation that passes through it, which I am assuming has to do with the intensity of the sun passing through it.  All the colours that it changes are seen in the sky from sunrise to sunset.
Here you seemed to be claiming that the colours of the sky from blue overhead during the day to the reds and oranges of sunsets are unexplained.

But the explanations of that have been well known since before 1900 and even Leonardo Da Vinci had a good idea of the cause.
You could read Wikipedia on Rayleigh scattering and here is somewhat simplified version: Why is the sky blue?

Remember that I did say that "those gases do get ionised by the energetic electrons in the ionosphere and cause various effects from airglow to the Auroras."
But the light from these is very weak and only visible on occasions for the Auroras and on very dark nights for the airglow.

Your desire to investigate matters is admirable but you really need to find out what is known before "diving in" with little understanding.
First learn what is already known and then look for areas poorly understood.

Investigation into the upper reaches of the atmosphere started with high altitude balloon flights, see High-altitude balloon.
These were usually limited to about 37 km but have reached higher altitudes.
Sounding rockets are still used to research higher altitudes to a few hundred kilometres. See Sounding rocket.
And satellites can be used above about 200 km.

The zone between say 40 km and 200 km is a difficult range to investigate because the air too thin for balloons or aircraft but too dense for satellites to orbit for long. Hence the continued use of these comparatively small sounding rockets.

Though, I imagine that there is still a lot to learn in region above a few hundred kilometres where the traces of the earth's atmosphere meet the Solar Wind from the sun. This is further complicated by the interaction with the Earth's magnetic field.

So it's a big topic!

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
https://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm

We are not the first to call attention to the vibrational origin of water's blue color. However, Nassau, in his generally excellent book (8), The Physics and Chemistry of Color, credits hydrogen bonding in water with strengthening the bonding and thus raising the frequency of high overtone and combination bands. Such frequency increases would shift H2O monomer (gas phase) transitions from the near IR into the visible thus increasing the visible absorption of water. However, as we see from Table 1, hydrogen bonding causes the stretching frequencies of H2O to shift to lower, not higher frequencies. Atkins too invokes hydrogen bonding as crucial to the visible color of water and ice (9). Instead, it appears to us that the hypothetical liquid without any hydrogen bonds would still be colored, perhaps even more intensely than is actual water. Dera too invokes vibrational overtones as the origin of the red absorption by water; his work is notable for its thorough compilation of visible spectra of water. (10) Happily, the absorption coefficients that he tabulates for water sampled from around the globe show that the absorption seen in Figure 1 is characteristic of most oceans -- pollution has not altered the color of the earth's great seas. (10)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:01:36 PM by Rell »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
https://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm

We are not the first to call attention to the vibrational origin of water's blue color. However, Nassau, in his generally excellent book (8), The Physics and Chemistry of Color, credits hydrogen bonding in water with strengthening the bonding and thus raising the frequency of high overtone and combination bands. Such frequency increases would shift H2O monomer (gas phase) transitions from the near IR into the visible thus increasing the visible absorption of water. However, as we see from Table 1, hydrogen bonding causes the stretching frequencies of H2O to shift to lower, not higher frequencies. Atkins too invokes hydrogen bonding as crucial to the visible color of water and ice (9). Instead, it appears to us that the hypothetical liquid without any hydrogen bonds would still be colored, perhaps even more intensely than is actual water. Dera too invokes vibrational overtones as the origin of the red absorption by water; his work is notable for its thorough compilation of visible spectra of water. (10) Happily, the absorption coefficients that he tabulates for water sampled from around the globe show that the absorption seen in Figure 1 is characteristic of most oceans -- pollution has not altered the color of the earth's great seas. (10)
But we've been discussing "why the sky is blue" not the colour of water.

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Science begins with ideas and investigation. You are right I don't know all that much about it, however a lot of our pre conceptions of what we know should be reexamined. Especially considering how much the electric universe principles are changing our conceptions on how space actually works.  I just found it fascinating that if indeed this story of "blue gas" is legitimate? What on earth was it.

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
We were discussing hydrogen in the upper atmosphere. If hydrogen is partly responsible for the colour of water, could not it also lend colour to the sky?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
We were discussing hydrogen in the upper atmosphere. If hydrogen is partly responsible for the colour of water, could not it also lend colour to the sky?
Have you read the cause of the "Sky being blue"? There is only a trace of hydrogen in the atmosphere, Hydrogen + oxygen makes an explosive mixture so there couldn't be much.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »
Have you read the cause of the "Sky being blue"? There is only a trace of hydrogen in the atmosphere, Hydrogen + oxygen makes an explosive mixture so there couldn't be much.

What's water made of rab?  :o

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Macarios

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »

What is the real reason for the blue sky? :)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »

Bendy light  ;)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Macarios

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »

Bendy light  ;)

Technically, it is very close.
Rayleigh Scattering is the process of different light frequencies being scattered differently on particles in the specific size range.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.