Why Jesus was not the Messiah

• 228 Replies

wgzero

• slayer of Bright Theist
Re: Why Jesus was not the Messiah
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2007, 07:53:15 PM »
Ah, theist, my apologies. I thought I was dealing rational argument. You use the bible as evidence, which invalidates all arguments founded upon said evidence, as there is no evidence backing your fairy tale collection. However, against my better instinct, I have decided to respond to your edit. And don't even try to say "The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true", as that's a Bare Assertion Fallacy.

I'm afraid that YES, I know exactly how i would react. Unlike you, with your Australopithecan-like logistic capabilities, I can accurately simulate the most extreme situations and great emotional strain. But that wouldn't even be necessary, as I do not fear death, so any situation where I am confronted with unavoidable death would logically cause no fear in me. I don't even see why I'm leveling with you on this. Hara made my point much better than even I could.

Is that a fancy way of putting "lol bible iz not tru!"? I still think you are a liar, you don't know.

theist, you call me a liar, based on evidence in the bible. All I ask is that you show me logical (i.e. deductive) proof that the bible is infallible. And don't give me that "Teh bible is tru cz teh bible sez teh bible iz tru!!!111!!1!11!!!!" shit, as that is not proof, merely a logical fallacy. The problem is, you can't prove that the bible is infallible, because we already know that it is only one version of a series of Hebrew oral traditions, passed down and changed over generations, mottled together into that sad collage of fairy tales you call your 'holy text'. ::) It was written by old, bigoted men, attempting to pass on their twisted morals as the 'word of god'. In short, it is a collection of short stories, with no historical accuracy, nor anything worthwhile inside. You want proof of the bible's numerous lies, try googling "bible" and "contradictions" (or visit http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/), for, if the bible is always true, then how can it claim to opposing facts? Or, is it that one is incorrect, which means the bible is lying? (Of course, by far the most probable reason is that both are incorrect, as they were both written by old men who knew nothing other than to fear a god that they were taught to fear.)
I'm thinking about signing my first name as lexluther instead of alex...

Political Compass: (-2.25, -4.92)

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2007, 08:10:20 PM »
Your evidence is wrong, theist. I suggest you look over your source again. And again. And again.

This time, with the blinders off. Then speak. For thy tongue is a foul beast that knows not of that which it speaks.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
First of all, you claim that no one can be sure of their future actions. In this case, how can I be lying about it if no one actually knows what I would do. You continue contradicting yourself.
And again, let me completely assure you: I am not afraid of death; would I postpone it, yes. But not fear it, mainly because I believe there is nothing to death. Death is merely the end. Thus there is nothing to fear, no judgment, no ambiguity, just subtle passage out of consciousness, never to return.

I only listed AP Psych for credibility of analysis, not credibility of thought.

You continue to assert that I would fear death if I were faced with it, without any logical reasoning. Given your arguments thus far, may I safely conclude that your statements are completely groundless, with neither fact nor observation as backing?

Only if you are willing to stipulate that your assesment is equally groundless.

My evidence, here it is:

Since then the children are sharers in flesh and blood, he [Christ] also himself in like manner partook of the same; that through death he might bring to nought him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and might deliver all them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage Heb. 2:14-15

According to the Bible, we are all supposed to fear death, as our enemy. Since there are no lies in the Bible (I've checked), you must be lying about your fear of death.

EDIT: This fear of death is conquered by faith in out Lord, and his Heavenly Kingdom. Without this, it is impossible.
I claimed you are lying in saying you know how you would react to the situation, you don't.

Check me out, I am so cool I can quote my own post, too!
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2007, 08:19:45 PM »
Ah, theist, my apologies. I thought I was dealing rational argument. You use the bible as evidence, which invalidates all arguments founded upon said evidence, as there is no evidence backing your fairy tale collection. However, against my better instinct, I have decided to respond to your edit. And don't even try to say "The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true", as that's a Bare Assertion Fallacy.

I'm afraid that YES, I know exactly how i would react. Unlike you, with your Australopithecan-like logistic capabilities, I can accurately simulate the most extreme situations and great emotional strain. But that wouldn't even be necessary, as I do not fear death, so any situation where I am confronted with unavoidable death would logically cause no fear in me. I don't even see why I'm leveling with you on this. Hara made my point much better than even I could.

Is that a fancy way of putting "lol bible iz not tru!"? I still think you are a liar, you don't know.

theist, you call me a liar, based on evidence in the bible. All I ask is that you show me logical (i.e. deductive) proof that the bible is infallible. And don't give me that "Teh bible is tru cz teh bible sez teh bible iz tru!!!111!!1!11!!!!" shit, as that is not proof, merely a logical fallacy. The problem is, you can't prove that the bible is infallible, because we already know that it is only one version of a series of Hebrew oral traditions, passed down and changed over generations, mottled together into that sad collage of fairy tales you call your 'holy text'. ::) It was written by old, bigoted men, attempting to pass on their twisted morals as the 'word of god'. In short, it is a collection of short stories, with no historical accuracy, nor anything worthwhile inside. You want proof of the bible's numerous lies, try googling "bible" and "contradictions" (or visit http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/), for, if the bible is always true, then how can it claim to opposing facts? Or, is it that one is incorrect, which means the bible is lying? (Of course, by far the most probable reason is that both are incorrect, as they were both written by old men who knew nothing other than to fear a god that they were taught to fear.)

If any of that post implies the Bible is not true, than I can tell you that you are mistaken. Other than that, your attention is wasted on me, the more verbose your posts get, the less I feel like reading them.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2007, 08:22:02 PM »
You are avoiding my response, simpleton. I demand a proper rebuttal.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2007, 08:25:02 PM »

Your message is insubstantial. I casually overlook it every time I browse this thread, like I do with most of your postings.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2007, 08:29:31 PM »

Your message is insubstantial. I casually overlook it every time I browse this thread, like I do with most of your postings.

Then you truly cannot read into words. Thusly, you are as ignorant as the other bigots. Congratulations on failing the hardest just now.

wgzero

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2007, 03:26:02 AM »

If any of that post implies the Bible is not true, than I can tell you that you are mistaken. Other than that, your attention is wasted on me, the more verbose your posts get, the less I feel like reading them.

Is this possibly because you lack the necessary intelligence, required to comprehend what I write? Or maybe I just used to many big words. I notice whenever anyone posts anything in contrast to your own views and backs it with a logical argument (as I have just done), you merely ignore their post, and rephrase and repost your own views. If you wish to continue trolling, I advise you leave the forums now, and get some help with admitting that you are wrong, else please debate satisfactorily (not yell "I can't hear you" and repost).

If you are unable to understand the above paragraph (or else mentally censoring everything you read which may disprove your ideals), please have fun immediately, and save us the trouble of having to deal with your trollish habits.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:28:55 AM by wgzero »

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
Theist is just another skin of Tom Bishop. His or her or its statements are blanket statements. The rebuttals that it DOES posit are nothing more than 'yes! no! ahuh! yeah!'. You are dealing with an automated troll-bomb. I refuse to be near it again.

I will now ignore it in the future.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
Where is that coy little bean? I miss his "ACME Coporation" type explanation on things.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
Where is that coy little bean? I miss his "ACME Coporation" type explanation on things.

If I were an alien species deciding the fate of "puny humaan", ACME would be a weight on the "don't destroy" side of the scale.

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2007, 11:26:15 AM »
Theist is a dumbass, from what I've seen.

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »

If you are unable to understand the above paragraph (or else mentally censoring everything you read which may disprove your ideals), please have fun immediately, and save us the trouble of having to deal with your trollish habits.

Why would I want to kill myself, doing that would send me to Hell. As I understand it, I have not broken any forum rules. I can post wherever I wish.

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
An unofficial forum rule is that you have to actually know something about your subject. Comply, and you'll be fine. Don't, and Narc will google that subject, find some weak counters and use your incompetance as a way to prove FE.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
An unofficial forum rule is that you have to actually know something about your subject. Comply, and you'll be fine. Don't, and Narc will google that subject, find some weak counters and use your incompetance as a way to prove FE.

Quoted for eternal truth.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2007, 10:19:34 PM »
-50 for tedium

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
Bite me.

?

sharkzf6

• Everything is number
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Yes, living is all I have, and I do enjoy living, and yes, I would attempt to postpone my death if I had the option, but I don't fear death. If, for example, I were captured, bound, and lined up on a wall with others, and one-by-one we were systematically killed, I doubt I'd be afraid. I would probably be disappointed that I couldn't live longer or accomplish more (unless I were extremely old and had age-related handicaps, in which death would probably be a nice alternative to suffering), but definitely not afraid.
<snip>
I don't know this for sure, but I would bet if you were bound and lined up on a wall with several others who were being systematically killed one-by-one you would shit your pants, piss on your shows and loose some semen as you got closer and closer to sure death...dumbass...
"Perhaps there will be babblers who, although completely ignorant of mathematics, nevertheless take it upon themselves to pass judgement on mathematical questions..."
- Copernicus

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
That was...artistically mindless.

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
And slightly exaggerated.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
I fucking love this thread.

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
I read through several of the pages and I haven't really seen anyone give a legitimate response to the OP (especially from a Christian perspective). I apologize ahead of time if I've made a mistake and overlooked someone's post.

Roundy, the arguments you bring forth have been around since the beginning of Christianity and have been dealt with countless times by very intelligent mean with sound and valid arguments. Yours are arguments that many the average non-believer tries to give as reasoning to not follow Christ. To be perfectly honest with you I don't believe that any amount of reasoning will persuade any of you to accept the Gospel of Truth. That is not to say that the Scriptures are not sound and reasonable, on the contrary they are quite the opposite. However part of the role of a believer in Christ is to bring about the impossible...to fulfill the prayer of Christ and have it be "on earth as it is in Heaven." Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:4-5,

"And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."

Most often faith does not come by reasoning alone, but by revelation from the Holy Spirit and the demonstration of His power (i.e. signs and wonders).

Now on to your post...

You said:
"Jesus's credibility as the Messiah the Jewish people foresaw is predicated on the fulfillment of certain prophesies set forth in the Old Testament.  But the writers of the New Testament seemed content to pick and choose what was needed to be fulfilled, blatantly ignoring some prophesies." -Roundy

You then proceeded to list 3 prophecies in the OT you felt that Christ did not fulfill and/or the NT writers ignored altogether.

1. "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." -Micah 4:3

2. "And it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, says the Lord" -Isaiah 66:23

3. "And when your days [David] are fulfilled, and you shall sleep with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who shall issue from your bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will make firm the throne of his kingdom forever..." -2 Samuel 7:12-13

I want to preface the rest of my response with a comment about OT prophecy. There is a pretty good amount of OT prophecy that is either currently being fulfilled or will be fulfilled sometime in the future. It just so happens that some of the points you brought forth fall into this category of OT prophecy. However, I will demonstrate to you that the NT writers certainly did not "ignore" these prophecies as you claim. Given this information I've to one of two conclusions. 1. You are very misinformed and are like many other people who just want to go around sparking up debate about things you know very little about. OR 2. You know very well the things you say and are purposefully spreading lies. I try to say this in the most loving way possible. I'm assuming (in hope) that you are the first of the two.

The first prophecy you brought forth was:
"...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." -Micah 4:3

You gave this as reasoning:
"In other words, the Messiah would rule at a time of world peace.  This was clearly not the case in the days of Jesus, and arguably hasn't been the case since then." and then proceeded to talk at length about the Crusades.

To address the issue of the Crusades: I do not believe that God approved of the Crusades. It is completely contradictory to the teachings of Christ to "turn the other cheek," "love your enemy," and many others. The Crusades were not a Christian event. The Crusades were the result of power hungry people resorting to any means necessary to keep what the wanted. That is not Christ-likeness.

As to your primary comment: Christ ruling at a time of world peace has not yet come to pass. This is one of the many OT prophecies that will be fulfilled at a specific time in the future. However, the NT writers certainly did not ignore this prophecy.

The book of the Revelation (the last book in the Bible) tells of a time when Christ will return and rule for a time of 1000 years in what is known as the "1000 Year Reign of Peace." Furthermore, Revelation makes it clear that after the Great White Throne Judgement there will be a new heaven and earth. For those in heaven there will be only peace. No more sickness, no more sadness, no more tears as the Bible puts it. So while this prophecy has not been fulfilled as of yet it certainly is not ignored in the NT.

The second prophecy you brought forth:
"And it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, says the Lord" -Isaiah 66:23

You also said:
"This passage is clear in its intent, but seems to be ignored by Christians.  Even if you make the supposition that all followers of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity worship the same God, you still have the Hindu as well as other smaller religions who do not, not to mention atheists, agnostics, and Buddhists who do not worship any God."

This prophecy is very much related to the first. This takes place at the same time the previous prophecy takes place (give or take a moment or two). Again, look to Revelation. It is obvious that not "all flesh" has ever or currently does worship the One True God. This has nothing to do with Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. This prophecy has not yet come to pass. However, like before, this prophecy is certainly not ignored in the NT. Paul addressed this issue in what is quite possibly my favorite passage in all of Scripture. He says,

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." -Philippians 2:5-11

There will be a time that "all flesh," no matter who you are or what you believe will bow your knee before the Throne of Glory and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord forever. Even if you don't "believe in Christ" you will find yourself on your face before Him in humility and humiliation.

Your third prophecy:
"And when your days [David] are fulfilled, and you shall sleep with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who shall issue from your bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will make firm the throne of his kingdom forever..." -2 Samuel 7:12-13

and following reasoning:
"In addition, the Messiah was supposed to be a direct male descendant of King David:

Since Jesus was not Joseph's biological son, it follows that he was not a direct descendant of David in the sense given here.
"

The Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke record two different lineages.

These two testaments were written to two different people groups. The Gospel of Matthew (written to the Jews) is more concerned with the fulfillment of Christ royalty and thusly traces the lineage to Joseph. As Joseph's adopted son Jesus would have been just as much an heir as a legitimate son. As far as the Jews are concerned Joseph is Jesus' father because He is the son of Joseph's wife.

The Gospel of Luke was written to the Greek peoples (Western minds like our own) and thusly is more concerned with Christ "actual" lineage and thusly records the lineage of Christ through His mother, Mary. The interesting thing is that both lineages are the same up until right after David. Mary is a direct descendant of David through another of David's sons, namely Nathan, whereas Joseph traces His lineage through Solomon (the royalty). So either way you look at it, Jesus is still a direct descendant of King David.

I'll now address your other comments:

You said:
"1)there is no historical record of Jesus's time on earth;"

This statement is blatantly false. You are seriously misinformed. Besides the historical accounts that the Bible itself gives there is a plethora of historical records that tell of the man Jesus of Nazareth.

No honest historian denies that this man existed.

D. James Kennedy says in his book Why I Believe, "Some people suppose that, other than the Gospels, no ancient writer mentions Jesus Christ. They are quite wrong. Among the secular historians and writers of antiquity who refer to Christ and Christianity are: Tacitus, the Roman historian; Suetonius; Pliny the younger; Epicetus; Lucian; Arisides; Galenus; Lampridius; DioCassius; Hinnerius; Libanius; Ammianus; Marcellinus; Eunapius; Zosimus. Others have written whole books against Christianity, including Lucian, Celsus, Porphyry, Hierocles, and Julian the Apostate. Numers others, including Jewish writers, have written about Jesus Christ."

No legitimate, honest historian believes that this man did not walk the earth.

Next you said,
"2)many elements of the Jesus story come from pagan tradition; and"

First of all, so what? Secondly, perhaps many of the elements of pagan tradition came from the Jesus story? Hmm? The stories of the One True God outdate the pagan rituals by nearly an eternity.

And then,
"3)the books of the New Testament were written down long after the events supposedly took place,"

Again, very misguided, my friend. It is true that we do not have any of the originals autographs of these texts, the way textual transmission was done in those days and the years of bibliographical study ensure that the texts we have a nearly identical to the originals which were not written too long after the events took place.

The New Testament has more manuscript authority (the number of manuscripts and the time interval between the original and the extant copies) than any other work history. What many uphold as the most reliable and accurate ancient histories in the world have nothing in comparison to the NT in MSS authority. Thucydides comes to us from just eight MSS dated 1300 years after the originals. Aristotle's poetics comes from five MSS dated with a 1400 year gap. Caesar's Gallic Wars authority rests on nine MSS dated 1000 years after his death. Homer's Iliad has the most MSS authority than any other work besides the NT. It comes to us from 643 MSS with another incredible gap in time (like 400 years).

So what about the MSS authority of the New Testament? Currently the New Testament has 24,970 MSS copies. That's a rather large number when compared to the 2nd best 643 of the Iliad. Furthermore, we have MSS of the NT that date as early as 30-50 years after the originals. Most people have no problem accepting the tales told in many ancient histories, but for some reason the NT is not considered to be authoritative even though by the same means that the rest of these texts are judged the NT surpasses all with flying colors.

Lastly you said,
"The bottom line is that Jesus does not fulfill the most important prophesies set forth in the Old Testament in any way, so his credibility as the Messiah predicted by the Jews is non-existent."

No, sir. First off, you are rather presumptuous in your thinking that these are the "most important prophecies." Secondly, the bottom line is: The OT contains 333 very specific prophecies and 456 specific details about the coming Messiah. In his book Science Speaks, Peter Stoner stated that the probability of a man fulfilling eight of the prophecies is 1 in 10 to the 17th power which is 100,000,000,000,000,000 (1 in 100 Quadrillion). Jesus fulfilled all but very few of these prophecies during His life on earth. The remaining few are not "ignored" as you say, but paid very much attention to by the NT writers who very clearly state that these prophecies are to come.

No man can deny that Jesus is the Christ based on evidence.

Consider these things. Jesus said, "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near." Time is running short and you will soon no longer be able to make the decision to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior. The God of all things seen and unseen sent His only son to reconcile His creation unto Himself. He passionately pursues us. He only wants us to return the love He so eagerly lavishes on us. Get right with Him.

He has been waiting for you.

in love,
>>zack

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:55 PM »
Post of the decade.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »
I read through several of the pages and I haven't really seen anyone give a legitimate response to the OP (especially from a Christian perspective). I apologize ahead of time if I've made a mistake and overlooked someone's post.

Roundy, the arguments you bring forth have been blah blah blah blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz blah blah blah blah

He has been waiting for you.

in love,
>>zack

I'm sorry.   :D  I read most of your post, really.  I'm fascinated by the lengths you people to go in the hopes of possibly turning out a good convert.

You're like prostitutes for the Lord.

I'm familiar with the kinds of explanations people come up with to explain away the inconsistencies in the Bible.  They're rationalizations.  The Messiah is never meant to be a divine figure in the OT.  It was during the time that he lived that the prophecies were supposed to come to pass.  And really, any way you look at it, Jesus was meant to be descended by blood from David through Solomon, and that's not true in either genealogy.  Of course, it's never stated that the genealogy in Luke was through Mary, but I understand your fundamentalist soul wanting to make that connection anyway.  The Messiah was supposed to be a human Davidic king who would return peace to the world and return all the Jews to Israel.  Judaism actually has a long tradition of messiahs; the word means "anointed one" and there's not supposed to be any supernatural meaning to that, outside of the fact that he is anointed with oil in the name of G-d.

I'm sorry that you feel that if I know what I am talking about I must be lying.  I feel no such way about you; in fact I don't think you're to blame at all, as you've been brainwashed since birth by your parents and by the authority figures in your church.  I actually feel kind of sorry for you.   :(

The fact is that we'll never agree here and therefore arguing is useless.  But while you're here maybe you can help me understand something.  If Jesus was a historical figure as depicted in the Bible, why is it that so many specific details of his life seem to have their basis in pagan myth?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2007, 12:38:45 AM »
"I'm sorry.   :D  I read most of your post, really."

Thanks giving it the attention you did. I'd rather you read all of it, but I guess that's OK.

"I'm fascinated by the lengths you people to go in the hopes of possibly turning out a good convert."

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment. This is a good indicator that I'm fulfilling the Great Commission. But the lengths I've gone to don't come close to the lengths that others have gone to. God Himself paid the ultimate price "in the hopes of possibly turning out a good convert.

So...thanks for the compliment!

You're like prostitutes for the Lord.

"I'm familiar with the kinds of explanations people come up with to explain away the inconsistencies in the Bible.  They're rationalizations."

There are no legitimate inconsistencies in the Word of God. It is inspired and infallible in its original autographs. Things may seem to be inconsistencies at first, but this is (more often than not) because a person doesn't understand the given context. Knowing that the Bible is what it is, I know that if I ever come across something that doesn't look right at first, it is not the Word that is insufficient...it is my understanding of it.

Regardless of all of that...Nothing I've presented you is a rationalization in any way. It is simply what the text states. Nothing more...nothing less.

"The Messiah is never meant to be a divine figure in the OT."

Never meant to be a divine figure? Try reading the OT again. Especially the Psalms and Isaiah.

"It was during the time that he lived that the prophecies were supposed to come to pass."

That is a false presumption. Read the book of Daniel.

"And really, any way you look at it, Jesus was meant to be descended by blood from David through Solomon, and that's not true in either genealogy."

Where is that in the Bible? Yes, the line of Solomon is the royal line and Joseph was descended from this line. Joseph is Christ's adopted father and this makes Christ Joseph's firstborn. Simple. IfBUT! If I recall correctly, the only definitive BLOOD connection was to neither David nor Solomon, but to Jesse.

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
       from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—
       the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
       the Spirit of counsel and of power,
       the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD -

3 and he will delight in the fear of the LORD.
       He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
       or decide by what he hears with his ears;

4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
       with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
       He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
       with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.

5 Righteousness will be his belt
       and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
       the leopard will lie down with the goat,
       the calf and the lion and the yearling [a] together;
       and a little child will lead them.

7 The cow will feed with the bear,
       their young will lie down together,
       and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
       and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

9 They will neither harm nor destroy
       on all my holy mountain,
       for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
       as the waters cover the sea.

10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his place of rest will be glorious.
"

"Of course, it's never stated that the genealogy in Luke was through Mary, but I understand your fundamentalist soul wanting to make that connection anyway."

No it is not stated explicitly. However, given seeming contradiction that pops up after David in the lineages, the fact that historians such as Eusebius have attested to this, and that the Israelite tribes were not to intermarry it is a rather logical conclusion to come to is it not?

BTW...I'm not as fundamentalist as you might think.

"The Messiah was supposed to be a human Davidic king who would return peace to the world and return all the Jews to Israel."

I think that's the first true statement you've made so far, bro. However it is not complete. He was also supposed to be a priest "in the order of Melchezidek," or a Priest-King. His role was a dual one. It was actually believed by many of the Jews that "the Messiah" would actually be TWO men. They couldn't imagine one man doing everything that the Messiah was supposed to do. He had a role to fulfill as King and as Preist. He came as One Man and eliminated the distinction between the Kings and the Preists and became a preist "in the order of Melchezidek." If you don't know who Melchezidek is I'd suggest looking into that. It is some fun reading and study.

"I'm sorry that you feel that if I know what I am talking about I must be lying."

Well if you knew the truth and told the opposite you'd be lying. So in order for you to be lying you would have to know the truth. I said I was assuming this was not the case...that you don't know the truth.

"I feel no such way about you; in fact I don't think you're to blame at all, as you've been brainwashed since birth by your parents and by the authority figures in your church. I actually feel kind of sorry for you.   :( "

I was an atheist until I was 17. I'm now 21. Thanks for the sympathy though. I would have loved to have that kind of upbringing. Unfortunately I did not. I came to this on my own (not without God's grace)...with a complete bias against the supernatural. How a man goes from atheism to being a tongue speaking, signs and wonders preaching, charismatic Christian is beyond me.

"'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty." -Zechariah 4:6

"The fact is that we'll never agree here and therefore arguing is useless.

I don't intend to convince you of anything. Nor do I intend to argue with you. I respect you for who you are and what you believe, and I can be your friend in spite of it. But I will do my duty and preach the Gospel of Truth to you until the day I die. You may never accept Christ during this life, but rest assured you will bow your knee and confess He is King. All will.

"But while you're here maybe you can help me understand something.  If Jesus was a historical figure as depicted in the Bible, why is it that so many specific details of his life seem to have their basis in pagan myth?"

I'd be glad to help. Firstly, I don't see the necessary connection in Jesus having existed and the details of His life sharing similarities with pagan religions.

But anyway...

There have been many pagan practices adopted by Christianity throughout the ages. The celebration of Christmas and Easter are good examples. I don't have a problem with that. Paul states in Romans that we have this type of freedom to worship Christ and that God true worship does not come from form but from the base level of the heart. But to address your specific question I'll take you back to the beginning of creation. You see I don't see Christianity borrows specifics from pagan mythology (such as the virgin birth) but that pagan mythology has taken from the original plan of God. Since the Creation there have always been people in communion with the One True God, YHWH. The interesting thing to take notice of in Scriptures is that people lived a long time in the pre-flood days. It was normal for a man to see the birth of his great great great great great great great grandson. Catch my drift? Even though man had fallen they still lived in recognition and communion with God. I can imagine Adam having a conversation with Enoch (Adam's great great great great grandson) about what it was like walking and talking with God in the Garden.

This type of thing continued up until the flood when only Noah and his family were left alive. Noah's sons were Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Shem's descendants are known as the "Shem-ites" or Semites or Semetical peoples who populated the Middle-East.

Ham would be the ancestor of the people who populated the land of Canaan (the Canaanites) through his son Canaan who were later pushed out of Canaan into the African continent when the Israelites entered the Promised Land. The rest of Ham's sons populated much of the Asian continent.

Japheth's descendants migrated westward and would become the Indo-European peoples. So most "white Americans" could trace their lineage back to Noah's son Japheth. That doesn't really matter in this context...just a neat side-note.

So by these three men the rest of the world was populated. So it comes as no surprise to me that practically every culture worships some god and more specifically so many cultures have some "flood story." Why wouldn't they? I can imagine that the story of the flood and how God saved "our great grand-dad Noah." I can imagine a little kid asking his dad, "Hey dad, tell me the story of the flood again." Generation after generation the story changes and receives new twists and turns and thus while the flood stories have many similarities they are indeed different. You can even see this type of thing in Japanese evident in Japanese writing. Many of their more complex characters are made up of other less complex characters. I can't remember the exact characters off of the top of my head, but a couple of examples are the character for "ship" is made up of the symbol for "boat" or "vessel," the symbol for "man," and the symbol for the number "8." The Ark was was a big boat "ship" that transported 8 people. I think the symbol for "garden" is made of of two "man" symbols a "tree" symbol and a "serpent" symbol. Those kinds of similarities are abundant. These things are too similar for them to just be coincidence.

However through all of this, I believe the only Culture to get the flood story exactly right was the people group that was chosen by God and thusly kept that continual communion with Him, the Israelites-the preservers of the Word of God.

Given that long story that might've seemed irrelevant...I believe that most cultures and their pagan practices find their origins in the original plan of God and became corrupted and incomplete. That is not to say that some (probably most) pagan practices were not self-originating, but that the instances you are speaking of most likely fall into the latter category.

Hope that helped.

in love,
>>zack
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:57:46 AM by zackallen »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
There are no legitimate inconsistencies in the Word of God. It is inspired and infallible in its original autographs. Things may seem to be inconsistencies at first, but this is (more often than not) because a person doesn't understand the given context. Knowing that the Bible is what it is, I know that if I ever come across something that doesn't look right at first, it is not the Word that is insufficient...it is my understanding of it.
Honestly we used to have somebody on here that used to say "The Bible is true because the Bible says it's true!"  That's what this sounds like here.  You're not saying that you know there are no inconsistencies because everything can be reasonably explained, you're saying you know there are no inconsistencies because... it's the Bible.

Regardless of all of that...Nothing I've presented you is a rationalization in any way. It is simply what the text states. Nothing more...nothing less.
It is rationalization.  I'm not saying you were rationalizing, I'm saying the authors of the New Testament were rationalizing.  It's a twisting of the original text to suit the need for Jesus to fulfill the prophecies no matter how you look at it.  To say that some of the prophecies are only now coming to pass, or have yet to come to pass, is ridiculous.  They were supposed to come about in the messiah's lifetime.  There is no mention of a "Second Coming" in the prophecies.  He was supposed to be an earthly king.  He wasn't.

Never meant to be a divine figure? Try reading the OT again. Especially the Psalms and Isaiah.
Maybe you can tell me the specific passages you're talking about here.

That is a false presumption. Read the book of Daniel.
Daniel wasn't believed by the Jews to be a messianic prophet.

Where is that in the Bible? Yes, the line of Solomon is the royal line and Joseph was descended from this line. Joseph is Christ's adopted father and this makes Christ Joseph's firstborn. Simple. IfBUT! If I recall correctly, the only definitive BLOOD connection was to neither David nor Solomon, but to Jesse.
This seems to be right.  But in Biblical times tribal affiliation went through the father, not the mother.  So whether or not it can be argued that Mary was descended from David is irrelevant.  It had to come through the father.  Since he was not descended by blood through his father from David, he could not have been the Messiah.

No it is not stated explicitly. However, given seeming contradiction that pops up after David in the lineages, the fact that historians such as Eusebius have attested to this, and that the Israelite tribes were not to intermarry it is a rather logical conclusion to come to is it not?
Or perhaps it was a mistake.  But it's irrelevant, anyway.

I think that's the first true statement you've made so far, bro. However it is not complete. He was also supposed to be a priest "in the order of Melchezidek," or a Priest-King. His role was a dual one. It was actually believed by many of the Jews that "the Messiah" would actually be TWO men. They couldn't imagine one man doing everything that the Messiah was supposed to do. He had a role to fulfill as King and as Preist. He came as One Man and eliminated the distinction between the Kings and the Preists and became a preist "in the order of Melchezidek." If you don't know who Melchezidek is I'd suggest looking into that. It is some fun reading and study.
That's true, many messianic prophecies are believed to be referring to two different men.  Just the same, he was supposed to be a Davidic king.  Jesus wasn't.

Well if you knew the truth and told the opposite you'd be lying. So in order for you to be lying you would have to know the truth. I said I was assuming this was not the case...that you don't know the truth.
So either I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm lying?  It can't possibly be that we have differing opinions about how these words are interpreted, I'm either ignorant or I'm intentionally spreading lies?  ::)

I was an atheist until I was 17. I'm now 21. Thanks for the sympathy though. I would have loved to have that kind of upbringing. Unfortunately I did not. I came to this on my own (not without God's grace)...with a complete bias against the supernatural. How a man goes from atheism to being a tongue speaking, signs and wonders preaching, charismatic Christian is beyond me.
I'd suggest the possibility that it's a sign of insanity.  But that's just me.  I find what you claim extraordinary but not outside the realm of possibility.

But brainwashing is brainwashing, whatever age it starts at.

I'd be glad to help. Firstly, I don't see the necessary connection in Jesus having existed and the details of His life sharing similarities with pagan religions.

But anyway...

There have been many pagan practices adopted by Christianity throughout the ages. The celebration of Christmas and Easter are good examples. I don't have a problem with that. Paul states in Romans that we have this type of freedom to worship Christ and that God true worship does not come from form but from the base level of the heart. But to address your specific question I'll take you back to the beginning of creation. You see I don't see Christianity borrows specifics from pagan mythology (such as the virgin birth) but that pagan mythology has taken from the original plan of God. Since the Creation there have always been people in communion with the One True God, YHWH. The interesting thing to take notice of in Scriptures is that people lived a long time in the pre-flood days. It was normal for a man to see the birth of his great great great great great great great grandson. Catch my drift? Even though man had fallen they still lived in recognition and communion with God. I can imagine Adam having a conversation with Enoch (Adam's great great great great grandson) about what it was like walking and talking with God in the Garden.

This type of thing continued up until the flood when only Noah and his family were left alive. Noah's sons were Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Shem's descendants are known as the "Shem-ites" or Semites or Semetical peoples who populated the Middle-East.

Ham would be the ancestor of the people who populated the land of Canaan (the Canaanites) through his son Canaan who were later pushed out of Canaan into the African continent when the Israelites entered the Promised Land. The rest of Ham's sons populated much of the Asian continent.

Japheth's descendants migrated westward and would become the Indo-European peoples. So most "white Americans" could trace their lineage back to Noah's son Japheth. That doesn't really matter in this context...just a neat side-note.

So by these three men the rest of the world was populated. So it comes as no surprise to me that practically every culture worships some god and more specifically so many cultures have some "flood story." Why wouldn't they? I can imagine that the story of the flood and how God saved "our great grand-dad Noah." I can imagine a little kid asking his dad, "Hey dad, tell me the story of the flood again." Generation after generation the story changes and receives new twists and turns and thus while the flood stories have many similarities they are indeed different. You can even see this type of thing in Japanese evident in Japanese writing. Many of their more complex characters are made up of other less complex characters. I can't remember the exact characters off of the top of my head, but a couple of examples are the character for "ship" is made up of the symbol for "boat" or "vessel," the symbol for "man," and the symbol for the number "8." The Ark was was a big boat "ship" that transported 8 people. I think the symbol for "garden" is made of of two "man" symbols a "tree" symbol and a "serpent" symbol. Those kinds of similarities are abundant. These things are too similar for them to just be coincidence.

However through all of this, I believe the only Culture to get the flood story exactly right was the people group that was chosen by God and thusly kept that continual communion with Him, the Israelites-the preservers of the Word of God.

Given that long story that might've seemed irrelevant...I believe that most cultures and their pagan practices find their origins in the original plan of God and became corrupted and incomplete. That is not to say that some (probably most) pagan practices were not self-originating, but that the instances you are speaking of most likely fall into the latter category.
Well, that answers my question, I guess.  You're saying that the reason why Jesus shares many similarities to the evil pagan gods the OT God warned against worshipping was that they were kind of echoes planted by God of what was to come.  Or something like that?  I think it's more plausible to think that the people who came up with the Jesus story were borrowing bits and pieces of pagan religion to make Christianity more attractive to the pagans, but hey, whatever.

You say you are not as fundamentalist as I may think, then you say you believe that the Bible was the one that got the flood story exactly right?  Everything you say suggests someone who takes the word of the Bible literally.  Are you simply saying you are not a fundamentalist as you are not literally a member of that sect?  Because you sure seem to take everything as fact.  What exactly do you question in the Bible, if you're not as much of a fundamentalist as I think?  ???

You're absolutely wrong about there being contemporary historical references to Jesus at the time of his life, by the way.  Sorry, but that's just not true.  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

wgzero

« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2007, 06:09:48 AM »
From what you've posted, I'm gathering that you take everything the bible says to be true, word for word, including all the shit that leviticus (and other early ones) says about discriminating against women, being intolerant of others, and sacrificing animals. Also, I gather that you think the tried and tested theory of Evolution is crap, huh?  ::)

I'm just making sure we understand your motives and position.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2007, 06:51:34 AM »
My absolute favorite argument from people who support the Bible's veracity is this:

"Well then you are taking it out of context."

In the words of Gulliver: THIS is a straw man statement.

First of all, who in the living fuck made you the 'supreme translator droid' for mankind, to make such an egotistical, self-deluded defense of a manuscript, which, might I add, has been in more hands than a hooker's breasts?

I mean really.  ::)

Context is often used as a debate point when someone is simply backed into an intellectual corner. It's not that complex of a defense, nor is it that successful most of the time. The reason it seems to work for people who want to delude themselves, and take as many people with them down their rabbit whole of mental excess, is that people fall for it more often than not.

One example. Some idiot says something like this:

"So you are telling me that God basically made Jobe's life a LIVING HELL, because he loves him?"

and the rebuttal: "You are taking it out of context".

Sorry, wrong answer, bucko. The words are plain as day. What context is there to mistake? It specifically states that a man's life was turned into melted ice cream at the whim of a sadistic, infantile, childish entity, who, by all intents and purposes, represents not an almighty power to me personally, but a petulant child tantrum collage.

Context, my ass!

wgzero

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2007, 07:00:09 AM »
... sadistic, infantile, childish entity...

You fucker. He is not a sadistic, infantile, childish entity.

He is the the most petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freakish, vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleansing, misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully ever. D'oh.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
LOL