sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:17:55 AM by sceptimatic »

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
Re: They say the Sun is a nuclear reactor.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
A geocentric model is sillier than the FE model.
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:51 AM »
Not really.  At least a geocentric RE model has the benefit of matching most naked eye observations.  You don't need to invoke weird perspective effects to explain sunrise/sunset or an anti-moon to explain lunar eclipses.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:32:55 AM »
Not really.  At least a geocentric RE model has the benefit of matching most naked eye observations.  You don't need to invoke weird perspective effects to explain sunrise/sunset or an anti-moon to explain lunar eclipses.

We need neither, so long as you include the Aetheric Whirlpool

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
So how does everyone perceive the Sun to be. Do you believe it's a nuclear reactor and if so, what was the thought on it before nuclear energy was thought about?

* from Wikipedia

The Greek philosopher Anaxagoras, who reasoned that it was a giant flaming ball of metal even larger than the chariot of Helios, and that the Moon reflected the light of the Sun.

In the early years of the modern scientific era, the source of the Sun's energy was a significant puzzle. Lord Kelvin suggested that the Sun was a gradually cooling liquid body that was radiating an internal store of heat.[146] Kelvin and Hermann von Helmholtz then proposed a gravitational contraction mechanism to explain the energy output.

Not until 1904 was a documented solution offered. Ernest Rutherford suggested that the Sun's output could be maintained by an internal source of heat, and suggested radioactive decay as the source.[148] However, it would be Albert Einstein who would provide the essential clue to the source of the Sun's energy output with his mass-energy equivalence relation E = mc2.

In 1920, Sir Arthur Eddington proposed that the pressures and temperatures at the core of the Sun could produce a nuclear fusion reaction that merged hydrogen (protons) into helium nuclei, resulting in a production of energy from the net change in mass.[150] The preponderance of hydrogen in the Sun was confirmed in 1925 by Cecilia Payne using the ionization theory developed by Meghnad Saha, an Indian physicist. The theoretical concept of fusion was developed in the 1930s by the astrophysicists Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar and Hans Bethe. Hans Bethe calculated the details of the two main energy-producing nuclear reactions that power the Sun.[151][152]
Finally, a seminal paper was published in 1957 by Margaret Burbidge, entitled "Synthesis of the Elements in Stars".[153] The paper demonstrated convincingly that most of the elements in the universe had been synthesized by nuclear reactions inside stars, some like our Sun.

_______

Me? I 'perceive' the sun to be what science explains it to be. A giant ball of gas and plasma that generates its energy by nuclear fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
In FE Theory a black hole can be the size of a house and still have enough energy to not let light escape.
Why cant a 50 km diameter sun only 3100 miles up not have enough power to light up half of the known world?

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »
In FE Theory a black hole can be the size of a house and still have enough energy to not let light escape.
Why cant a 50 km diameter sun only 3100 miles up not have enough power to light up half of the known world?

... the size of the black hole is rather unimportant. It's the density that matters. An earth-mass black hole would be about the size of a pea.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

... the size of the black hole is rather unimportant. It's the density that matters. An earth-mass black hole would be about the size of a pea.

To add to this, a black hole the size of a house would have some ridiculous mass that I haven't the slightest idea on how to calculate. But stable black holes in general won't allow light to escape, but only if that light reaches the event horizon.
When Tom farts, the special gasses released open a sort of worm hole into the past. There Tom is able to freely discuss with Rowbotham all of his ideas and thoughts.

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »

The thinking is silly because it relies on orbit, but doesn't comply with laws of gravity. Orbit is dependent on gravity.

I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »

To add to this, a black hole the size of a house would have some ridiculous mass that I haven't the slightest idea on how to calculate. But stable black holes in general won't allow light to escape, but only if that light reaches the event horizon.

I do believe that in order for an object to be a black hole, by definition, light can't escape.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

I do believe that in order for an object to be a black hole, by definition, light can't escape.

Light can bend around them though, but if it reaches the event horizon, it simply orbits at c indefinitely, or until the black hole evaporates (if it evaporates).

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »

Light can bend around them though, but if it reaches the event horizon, it simply orbits at c indefinitely, or until the black hole evaporates (if it evaporates).

I've never heard of a black hole evaporating.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ThinkingMan

• Oh, Really?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
I've never heard of a black hole evaporating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Evaporation

Ta da! So they essentially are constantly evaporating. I believe it's called hawking radiation if I'm not mistaken.

?

cartwheelnurd

• Iname as One
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 06:56:57 AM »
A black hole is just a made up word to describe something that in reality nobody knows anything about.

This is far from true. We observe black holes all the time. There is one in the center of the galaxy in RET, a big one, too. We can understand a lot more than you think about somehting by looking at it and/or detecting radtiation from it, thought I doubt we can do it with black holes.
Ravioli is how the universe fills a small part of itself with cheese.

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

The thinking is silly because it relies on orbit, but doesn't comply with laws of gravity. Orbit is dependent on gravity.
But markjo has a point here. The geocentric round Earth was a pretty solid model that explained almost all the observations possible from the times of ancient Greece to the middle of the Middle Ages. Only the planets were clearly not well explained in those times.

Now comes the FES with a "theory" that explains a lot less than was already explained in the Middle Ages. This is a clear step of 500 years backwards. Or more.

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »
This topic got off topic real fast. 
I'm sorry I didn't split this sooner.

Here is the discussion on if Nuclear Reactions exist.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,56704.0.html#.ULOkY2dXtGA
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:18:49 AM by Lorddave »
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.