Awesome proof that the world is flat

• 79 Replies
Awesome proof that the world is flat
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:02:40 AM »
Taken directly from 100 proofs the Earth is not a globe.

8. If the Earth were a globe, a small model globe would be the very best - because the truest - thing for the. navigator to take to sea with him. But such a thing as that is not known: with such a toy as a guide, the mariner would wreck his ship, of a certainty!, This is a proof that Earth is not a globe.

Guess they're not all winners eh?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Awesome proof that the world is flat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:09:42 AM »
It's a good thing that they're not crashing by using flat maps then.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:14:47 AM »
As if anyone who belives in RET suggests they would?

Another classic proof.

15. The idea that, instead of sailing horizontally round the Earth, ships are taken down one side of a globe, then underneath, and are brought up on the other side to get home again, is, except as a mere dream, impossible and absurd! And, since there are neither impossibilities nor absurdities in the simple matter of circumnavigation, it stands without argument, a proof that the Earth is not a globe.

I think someone has fundamentally misunderstood what a proof is supposed to do.

And this one is classic.

17. Human beings require a surface on which to live that, in its general character, shall be LEVEL; and since the Omniscient Creator must have been perfectly acquainted with the requirements of His creatures, it follows that, being an All-wise Creator, He has met them thoroughly. This is a theological proof that the Earth is not a globe.

And this one.

20. The common sense of man tells him - if nothing else told him - that there is an "up" and a "down" in -nature, even as regards the heavens and the earth; but the theory of modern astronomers necessitates the conclusion that there is not: therefore, 'the theory of the astronomers is opposed to common sense - yes, and to inspiration - and this is a common sense proof that the Earth is not a globe

29. If the Earth were a globe, it would, unquestionably, have the same general characteristics - no matter its size - as a small globe that may be stood upon the table. As the small globe has top, bottom, and sides, so must also the large one - no matter how large it be. But, as the Earth, which is "supposed" to be a large globe, bas no sides or bottom as the small globe has, the conclusion is irresistible that it is a proof that the Earth is not a globe.

Marvel at my superhuman ability to resist the conclusion. Since "top" and "bottom" are in the case defined as Going with / Contrary to the direction of gravity, or maybe he's asking us why there's no "made in China" label at the south pole.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:30:04 AM by Ondupe »

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:24:26 AM »
Part of the point in why I am doing this is because these "proofs" amuse me, but part of why I am doing it is because saying "read the 100 proofs" is not a valid arguments, clearly some of them are rubbish, please identify which ones you believe are the valid ones.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
I like this one:

4. There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet - notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's "convexity." It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
I agree, it is important to point out the invalidity of these arguments to prevent those whose brains aren't switched on from parroting "read 100 proofs!" like the way Bishop goes "Read Earth Not a Globe! Pretty Polly! Squawk!"
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
50 ... we will just put down one proof - the Scriptural proof - that Earth is not a globe.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »
So 8 hours and we're still waiting for someone to point out the good Proofs in 100 proofs. Must be a lengthy process to find them all in amoungst all the rubbish in that link.

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
I like this one:

4. There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet - notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's "convexity." It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.
People bash FE literature all the time but I have yet to see a valid explanations for this or the curvature of water test.
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
This is my favorite:

50. We read in the inspired book, or collection of books, called THE BIBLE, nothing at all about the Earth being a globe or a planet, from beginning to end, but hundreds of allusions there are in its pages which could not be made if the Earth were a globe, and which are, therefore, said by the astronomer to be absurd and contrary to what he knows to be true! This is the groundwork of modern infidelity. But, since every one of many, many allusions to the Earth and the heavenly bodies in the Scriptures can be demonstrated to be absolutely true to nature, and we read of the Earth being "stretched out" "above the waters," as "standing in the water and out of the water," of its being "established that it cannot be moved," we have a store from which to take all the proofs we need, but we will just put down one proof - the Scriptural proof - that Earth is not a globe.

Now I thought that the Flat Earth theory is not in any way based off of the bible (as most of the FE'ers on these boards claim) Seems this list contradicts with their beliefs, so why would they post it?
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Ugh ugh! Ugh nug nug ugh!

It's fourteen French social dances past the hour.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
Carpenter was speaking to a largely Christian audience in his works.

Even Newton often spoke of "God" and "Heavenly fathers" in his published works. Should we dismiss his work because he was a religious man?

The man who founded modern genetics was a priest. How about him?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:37:29 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

Even Newton often spoke of "God" and "Heavenly fathers" in his published works. Should we dismiss his work because he was a religious man?

I have no idea what you're babbling about.

Newton may have spoken about God, but God was absent from his proofs.

As with Mendel.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »

I have no idea what you're babbling about.

As with Mendel.

EXACTLY

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »

As with Mendel.

No, God is not absent. They prefaced themselves by saying that God created a perfect universe and here's how it is.

Even Einstein did that.

Einstein said "God does not play dice with the universe" with the underlying implication "therefore QM is bunk".

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
Tom Bishop - Man Without Metaphors.  :P
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
Later in life Einstein admitted that he believed in a universal, but not personal, God.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 05:55:52 PM »
No, God is not absent. They prefaced themselves by saying that God created a perfect universe and here's how it is.

Prefaces are not proofs.

God is absent from their proofs.

?

Robert64

• Lives on a Round Earth
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »
Later in life Einstein admitted that he believed in a universal, but not personal, God.
But he did not base his evidence from the Bible or any religious text. This is the point you missed.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »

But he never once mentioned a god in any of his theories, nor did he ever base his theories on a god. You are wrong, just admit it.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »

But he never once mentioned a god in any of his theories, nor did he ever base his theories on a god. You are wrong, just admit it.

Yes he does. He said that QM Theory is bunk and his GR/SR Theories are correct because "God does not play dice with the universe".

That's all he had to say on the subject of QM.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:14:13 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

Yes he does. He said that QM is bunk and his GR/SR is correct because "God does not play dice with the universe".

He says nothing about SR/GR in that quote.

"Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."

Where does he say anything about SR/GR in that quote? Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:08:24 PM by The Earth is ROUND!!!!!!! »

?

Robert64

• Lives on a Round Earth
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »

Yes he does. He said that QM is bunk and his GR/SR is correct because "God does not play dice with the universe".

Please provide a link to an archive of his paper which states this as his only reasoning for saying QM is bunk. I do not want a paraphrase.

We can discredit almost all of your posts talking about the acts of others because you never reference your replies.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »

"Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »

Well, QM directly contradicts Einstein's theory of how things work. And when asked to justify his science Einsteing jumps right up and said GOD IS ON MY SIDE as his sole and only argument for why he is correct and why QM is wrong.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »

Well, QM directly contradicts Einstein's theory of how things work. And when asked to justify his science Einsteing jumps right up and said GOD IS ON MY SIDE as his sole and only argument for why he is correct and why QM is wrong.

He didn't say that. What he said is:

He said nothing about QM contradicting his theory.

And why do you continue to avoid my "Interesting video..." thread? Are you afraid of it?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »

I don't think that Einstein was bothered that QM contradicted relativity at the sub-atomic scale.  It was more that QM reduced everything to probabilities, hence the "playing dice with the universe" comment,
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »

It does contradict his theory of the universe. That' why he's addressing it and saying that it's wrong.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

It does contradict his theory of the universe. That' why he's addressing it and saying that it's wrong.

How do you know what he was thinking? He clearly said nothing about QM contradicting his theory in that quote.

Or is it invisible to where only FE'ers can see it?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:57:20 PM by The Earth is ROUND!!!!!!! »

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 01:41:38 AM »
Ooooooh Tom your a sneaky wee tinker you know that, can't actually find any good proofs amoungst those 100 so BAM change the subject to religeon, instant thread derail and no need to answer the original point which you can't do.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
Ooooooh Tom your a sneaky wee tinker you know that, can't actually find any good proofs amoungst those 100 so BAM change the subject to religeon, instant thread derail and no need to answer the original point which you can't do.

Actually, I am the one that brought up religion, but he still did ignore the OP and veered the conversation towards my post on religion.