Firearm rights

• 158 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Firearm rights
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:51:44 AM »
I would like to make a new thread to debate firearm rights so we can keep this debate out of some of the other threads.  I believe that everyone in the world should be allowed to arm themselves.  But, in the US, it is written into the constitution. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:56:33 AM by Son of Orospu »

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
Re: Fire arm rights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
Gross.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
I carry a firearm daily.  I feel that I have the right to protect myself and my family at all times.  Am I wrong?

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
I carry a firearm daily.  I feel that I have the right to protect myself and my family at all times.  Am I wrong?
If ya'll could stop shooting up schools, then fine. Until then, you're in time-out.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
Re: Firearm rights
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
If ya'll could stop shooting up schools, then fine. Until then, you're in time-out.

Are you talking about the "gun free zones?"  Yae, that seems to be working out well. 

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »
The "NO GUNS" chant is just ignorant.

$50 and a trip to Home Depot . . . I'll have everything I need
to assemble a fully functional shotgun. Casing, chemicals and projectiles.

I am all for nobody else having a gun.   ;D

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 07:11:38 AM »
Dude, that sounded bad.  I feel like I should report you.  Are you advocating for some kind of bombing or something? 

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »
Dude, that sounded bad.  I feel like I should report you.  Are you advocating for some kind of bombing or something?

Haha, you should have seen some of the devices my buddy and I built 40 years ago.
Mostly aerials, some buried ground shakers.  :D

?

MS

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:21:54 AM »

I have no idea if you are right or wrong but how often does it happen that anyone carrying a gun 'for protection' actually gets to protect themselves?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »

I have no idea if you are right or wrong but how often does it happen that anyone carrying a gun 'for protection' actually gets to protect themselves?

If a bad guy has a gun, I have one too.  I am not sure what you are confused about. 

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:30:56 AM »

If a bad guy has a gun, I have one too.  I am not sure what you are confused about.
>implying that you would be the good
"The good guy with a gun" trope is a meme.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 07:34:34 AM »

>implying that you would be the good
"The good guy with a gun" trope is a meme.

If I am at a gas station, and someone pulled a "gun" on the attendant, I would be the good guy if I took care of the situation.  Please explain why I would not be. 

?

MS

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »

Would you know he was the bad guy until he fired?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 07:36:48 AM »

No, I would go to jail if I shot him and could not prove he was a bad guy. 

?

MS

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
Exactly.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »

No, I would go to jail if I shot him and could not prove he was a bad guy.
That depends on whether he was black or not.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 07:39:37 AM »
I have no problem with firearms but nowadays others do. In the old days a guy would just break up with his girlfriend. Now days he shoots up her work. People are getting dumber. “Hey I’m going to me my neighbor in a school parking lot and kill him over a parking space.” Why do 20 year olds now think it’s ok to go to jail for life.

I fear guns will need to be taken away as Americans can no longer handle them. And that’s including the police. They are just as stupid.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »
Exactly.

I would have to prove to 12 people that the other person's life was in danger.  If the pistol was pointing at the other person's head, it should be easy. 

?

MS

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
In theory, you're correct.
What if it wasn't a real gun? What if it was a prank and the two people knew eachother? What if you missed and hit someone else?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »
What if it wasn't a real gun? What if it was a prank and the two people knew eachother? What if you missed and hit someone else?

For the first part, that would be dumb.  I would probably get off even if they were pretending.  For the second part, I would be held accountable for harming other people.  I do not disagree. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
I have no problem with firearms but nowadays others do. In the old days a guy would just break up with his girlfriend. Now days he shoots up her work. People are getting dumber. “Hey I’m going to me my neighbor in a school parking lot and kill him over a parking space.” Why do 20 year olds now think it’s ok to go to jail for life.

I fear guns will need to be taken away as Americans can no longer handle them. And that’s including the police. They are just as stupid.

I feel the same way. My family has always had guns, lots of hunters, but the weirdos out there buying guns now are ruining everything. The fear mongering about the govt taking our guns doesn't help. It causes even weirder weirdos to go out and buy a bunch of guns. The only people happy about it are the ones making a profit. I also think the internet is making borderline crazy people full on crazy.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

MS

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »

For the first part, that would be dumb.  I would probably get off even if they were pretending.  For the second part, I would be held accountable for harming other people.  I do not disagree. 

...and you're allowed to carry a gun?

Junker

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »
If I am at a gas station, and someone pulled a "gun" on the attendant, I would be the good guy if I took care of the situation.  Please explain why I would not be.

This seems like a bad scenario to insert yourself into. At least that is what the various firearm/CCW courses I have taken in the past tell me. The liability is enormous and the only positive outcome would be if you stopped someone in the unlikely event the person was homicidal, which in holdups usually is not the case. Outside of that, the risk goes up exponentially if you involve yourself. Let the police and insurance companies deal with the theft, everyone goes home alive.

I understand your point, but this doesn't seem to be a great example.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »

This seems like a bad scenario to insert yourself into. At least that is what the various firearm/CCW courses I have taken in the past tell me. The liability is enormous and the only positive outcome would be if you stopped someone in the unlikely event the person was homicidal, which in holdups usually is not the case. Outside of that, the risk goes up exponentially if you involve yourself. Let the police and insurance companies deal with the theft, everyone goes home alive.

I understand your point, but this doesn't seem to be a great example.

I know you live on the liberal side of the US, but here, you are allowed to protect other people, whether or not you even know them.  If a bad guy seems to be about to harm someone, you can shoot them. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »

...and you're allowed to carry a gun?

Yes, because I am not a threat to anyone other than the bad guys. 

?

MS

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
But you decide who the bad guys are.....

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »
But you decide who the bad guys are.....

So do the Police.  And, they have to stand in front of a jury as well when they shoot a bad guy. 

?

MS

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:28 AM »
Their badge gives them that power, not that they always make the right decision. You on the other hand could be shooting the wrong person just because of what you think you see at the time.

Junker

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
I know you live on the liberal side of the US, but here, you are allowed to protect other people, whether or not you even know them.  If a bad guy seems to be about to harm someone, you can shoot them.

I mean I spent most of my life in a place with open-carry allowed, and stopped requiring handgun registrations altogether. The only thing left was the CCW requirement for concealed-carry, but I am well-versed in firearms, and have owned a ton of them.

Just because you can shoot someone doesn't mean it is a good idea. But if you have the epic hero fantasy you want to roll with then by all means go ahead tie up the next many years of your life with the legal repercussions that come along with that scenario, since you will likely have to go through a police investigation at minimum and potentially defend yourself from criminal charges. And don't forget civil suits from the family of the person you shot. You may walk away from that without a scratch so your priorities are you own.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
and stopped requiring handgun registrations altogether.
Where the fuck was that?!?!