James's theory on dinosaurs

• 1811 Replies
Re: James's theory on dinosaurs
« Reply #480 on: December 11, 2009, 06:23:38 AM »
There are significant differences between the birds of today and the Maniraptora of old. You comparison is baseless.
You gave me a baseless comparison earlier and tried to use that as an argument. Is it only okay when you do it?

What is your question?

« Reply #481 on: December 11, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »

There are significant differences between the birds of today and the Maniraptora of old. You comparison is baseless.

Like the differences between ants and dinosaurs or elephants and dinosaurs which you so eagerly grasped on to earlier?  Again nice job dodging the rest of the points and continuing to not post any supporting data.

I have grown bored with your consistent deflection of points, you provide no new material, no references to anything you claim and have yet to add one piece of credible evidence, such as accounting for the sea travel.  One picture you do post is that of a bird whose nest is anchored to the bed below the water it is in, way to not research that one.
Carry on with your doctor act.  
At least Bishop will debate.

Ants "clumping" and elephants swimming was used to illustrate a behavior, and a theory supported by the fossil record, that may explain transoceanic migration. The fossil record is evidence of this.

You asked for a picture of a birds nest on the water. I provided you one as you requested. From your request it seemed you denied that birds could not make floating nests. There are other species of birds whose nests are not anchored.

As for evidence. My theories are as well or better evidenced than that of dancing continents. What specifically would you like to see?

I see you are growing frustrated because you cannot support your theory. This is understandable. If I were you I would be frustrated too. Perhaps it is time to re-examine the evidence with open eyes?

« Reply #482 on: December 11, 2009, 06:32:48 AM »
I can have it my way, because, as I said, CD doesn't disregard sets of data.
Yes, but you are also disregarding other evidence. Cherry-picking, the reason why I'm even talking to you in the first place.
I'm not saying it's the only explanation for the evidence, I'm saying it explains all of the evidence without leaving stuff out.

Also, we could extrapolate that they could have built planes or spaceships according to you. Where is the evidence for them building boats, though? You're extrapolating without all the evidence, meanwhile we won't cherry-pick.

And what data and I ignoring?

You stated, "I'm not saying it's the only explanation for the evidence". Then I would invite you to keep an open mind and objectively review the evidence.

I am not the fan of extrapolation, you are.
Continental Movements.

Yes, that's why I have another sentence to explain everything I mean. Please quit cherry-picking.

See, but here's the thing, where is the proof of these boats? You've stated that fossil record is what proves that dinosaurs migrated across the ocean (At least I think that was you), but there are no boats. Wouldn't you say that's extrapolating?

I have already discussed the evidence of these boats, please read  my previous posts. Redundancy is not productive discussion.
If I am unclear about something you've stated, usually giving a brief run-down is productive, especially if I'm not the only one who is confused.

I think my previous posts would be valuable to you then.
From what I've read, you've said fossils of dinosaurs found on the ocean floor is your proof, right?

Disproportionate amounts of dinosaur fossils have been found in ancient sea beds and in current sub-oceanic regions.

« Reply #483 on: December 11, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
Yes, but you are also disregarding other evidence. Cherry-picking, the reason why I'm even talking to you in the first place.
I'm not saying it's the only explanation for the evidence, I'm saying it explains all of the evidence without leaving stuff out.

Also, we could extrapolate that they could have built planes or spaceships according to you. Where is the evidence for them building boats, though? You're extrapolating without all the evidence, meanwhile we won't cherry-pick.

You stated, "I'm not saying it's the only explanation for the evidence". Then I would invite you to keep an open mind and objectively review the evidence.

Continental Movements.

Yes, that's why I have another sentence to explain everything I mean. Please quit cherry-picking.

See, but here's the thing, where is the proof of these boats? You've stated that fossil record is what proves that dinosaurs migrated across the ocean (At least I think that was you), but there are no boats. Wouldn't you say that's extrapolating?

I have already discussed the evidence of these boats, please read  my previous posts. Redundancy is not productive discussion.
If I am unclear about something you've stated, usually giving a brief run-down is productive, especially if I'm not the only one who is confused.

From what I've read, you've said fossils of dinosaurs found on the ocean floor is your proof, right?

Disproportionate amounts of dinosaur fossils have been found in ancient sea beds and in current sub-oceanic regions.
Didn't we go over that it was because of better conditions for fossilization?
Poor grammar is the internet equivalent of body odor.
My site.

« Reply #484 on: December 11, 2009, 07:44:42 AM »
You gave me a baseless comparison earlier and tried to use that as an argument. Is it only okay when you do it?

What is your question?
Question is why is okay for you to do it? I thought I made myself pretty clear.
My site.

« Reply #485 on: December 11, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »

Continental Movements.

So, by your logic, the only fossils ever found would be in the water. This is not the case.

« Reply #486 on: December 11, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »

What is your question?

Birds today are different from extinct dinosaurs. Do you deny this?

« Reply #487 on: December 11, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »

What is your question?

No, I don't deny that, and that wasn't my point. Please don't straw man.
My site.

« Reply #488 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »

So, by your logic, the only fossils ever found would be in the water. This is not the case.
Not part of my logic. I said better, as I've bolded for you, not the only conditions.
My site.

« Reply #489 on: December 11, 2009, 08:27:14 AM »

What is your question?

You are making little sense. I do not understand "don't straw man." What is your point?

« Reply #490 on: December 11, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »

Not part of my logic. I said better, as I've bolded for you, not the only conditions.

That is very convenient for you then. Using your logic, even if more dinosaurs actually died in the ocean than on land, you would blindly dismiss it because fossilization occurs easier in the ocean environment. This is a perfect example of coming to a conclusion then manipulating the evidence to match it. I am now aware of your tactics.

« Reply #491 on: December 11, 2009, 09:06:31 AM »

What is your question?

You are making little sense. I do not understand "don't straw man." What is your point?
You're making a straw man argument. I never denied that Birds from today are different than dinosaurs.
My site.

« Reply #492 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »

That is very convenient for you then. Using your logic, even if more dinosaurs actually died in the ocean than on land, you would blindly dismiss it because fossilization occurs easier in the ocean environment. This is a perfect example of coming to a conclusion then manipulating the evidence to match it. I am now aware of your tactics.
This is a what if scenario. If you proved to me, without a doubt, that more dinosaurs died in the ocean, then I'd come to different conclusions. Right now, You're saying, "Well, a lot more dinosaurs could have died in the ocean!" You've come to a conclusion about my logic, and are manipulating my words to fit your own conclusion.
My site.

« Reply #493 on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »

What is your question?

You're making a straw man argument. I never denied that Birds from today are different than dinosaurs.

If you agree then you have admitted your comparison is baseless.

« Reply #494 on: December 11, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »

What is your question?

If you agree then you have admitted your comparison is baseless.
No, no I'm not. Read this:
Now this:
What I said is that you were being a bit hypocritical. You were free to use comparisons that were also baseless, yet you seem to be allowed to do that.
My site.

« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »

This is a what if scenario. If you proved to me, without a doubt, that more dinosaurs died in the ocean, then I'd come to different conclusions. Right now, You're saying, "Well, a lot more dinosaurs could have died in the ocean!" You've come to a conclusion about my logic, and are manipulating my words to fit your own conclusion.

Consider this a challenge to your reasoning. If more dinosaurs died in the ocean then how would you know? What evidence would you expect to see? If more died on land, how would you know?

You see less fossil records on land than in the waters yet believe more dinosaurs live on land. Your rationale is that the conditions are more favorable to fossilization in the water. However this is directly contradicted by fossils discovered throughout the world.

I think the main problem with RE'rs is their interpretation of data. You are so "brainwashed" into believing a theory that has been preached to you that you ignore what is right in front of you.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #496 on: December 11, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
I think the main problem with RE'rs is their interpretation of data. You are so "brainwashed" into believing a theory that has been preached to you that you ignore what is right in front of you.

Things flat guys ignore which is right in front of them:
The presence of two celestial poles (no explanation in a flat world)
Why nobody can go further south than 90oS, even in a plane.
Why aircraft travel times fit exactly with what one would expect in a round world and not at all with what you'd expect with a flat one.

And he thinks we're brainwashed...  ::)
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #497 on: December 11, 2009, 11:19:09 AM »
Consider this a challenge to your reasoning. If more dinosaurs died in the ocean then how would you know? What evidence would you expect to see? If more died on land, how would you know?

You see less fossil records on land than in the waters yet believe more dinosaurs live on land. Your rationale is that the conditions are more favorable to fossilization in the water. However this is directly contradicted by fossils discovered throughout the world.

If you know that conditions for fossilization are better in the waters, then you would expect to find more fossils in water environments.  If conditions for fossilization on land are less favorable, then you would expect to find fewer fossils in land environments.  It a simple matter of statistical analysis to estimate populations based on remains found.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #498 on: December 11, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

Things flat guys ignore which is right in front of them:
The presence of two celestial poles (no explanation in a flat world)
Why nobody can go further south than 90oS, even in a plane.
Why aircraft travel times fit exactly with what one would expect in a round world and not at all with what you'd expect with a flat one.

And he thinks we're brainwashed...  ::)

Yet you continue to deviate from the subject at hand.

« Reply #499 on: December 11, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »

If you know that conditions for fossilization are better in the waters, then you would expect to find more fossils in water environments.  If conditions for fossilization on land are less favorable, then you would expect to find fewer fossils in land environments.  It a simple matter of statistical analysis to estimate populations based on remains found.

Which poses the question, if there were more dinosaurs living in the water, how would you know?

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
You deviated from the subject by proposing a general idea that people who believe in a round earth are brainwashed but flat guys are not. I merely provided facts that countered that. Do not blame the deviation on me.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »

Which poses the question, if there were more dinosaurs living in the water, how would you know?

By statistical analysis of the number of fossils found in different environments.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
You deviated from the subject by proposing a general idea that people who believe in a round earth are brainwashed but flat guys are not. I merely provided facts that countered that. Do not blame the deviation on me.

And so the deviation continues...

« Reply #503 on: December 11, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »

By statistical analysis of the number of fossils found in different environments.

You can only statistically analyze the number of fossils found, if the environmental variable determines the number of living beings in that same environment, how can you quantify the living dinosaur population?

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #504 on: December 11, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »

Yes, fuelled by you as much as me. Who cares if it deviates? The purpose of this thread was to establish who among the flat guys supports James's lunatic notion that dinosaurs built boats. Anyone who does has had ample time to identify themselves. YOU have turned it into a RE-bashing session, "Dr" Einholm. You may beat your interpreter and gnash your teutonic teeth as much as you want, but none of us are taking you seriously. And my "deviation" had the valid point that RE devotees are arguably less brainwashed than FET devotees.

« Reply #505 on: December 11, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

Yes, fuelled by you as much as me. Who cares if it deviates? The purpose of this thread was to establish who among the flat guys supports James's lunatic notion that dinosaurs built boats. Anyone who does has had ample time to identify themselves. YOU have turned it into a RE-bashing session, "Dr" Einholm. You may beat your interpreter and gnash your teutonic teeth as much as you want, but none of us are taking you seriously. And my "deviation" had the valid point that RE devotees are arguably less brainwashed than FET devotees.

Continue your rant until your are all tired out. Then you may return to your Communal College.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #506 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
Then you may return to your Communal College.

???

« Reply #507 on: December 11, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
Then you may return to your Communal College.

???

It is interesting that the PhDs that I work with seem to be in a whole different calss of professionalism.  They always have a well thought out answer and when giving facts they can actually provide a source of reference.  Not to mention they just don't communicate like he does, not the foreign language thing, as several of them are foreing language speakers, I'm talking an overall manner of communicating.
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

« Reply #508 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »

Please stop side-stepping my points.
First off, You still won't admit that you're twisting my words and being a bit hypocritical.
Also, I need to back-track. The best place for fossilization is in places like these. Sorry for being wrong about my evidence, you got me there. But, as I've realized, we haven't done nearly enough deep sea digging around to even say one place has more than the other, in terms of fossils.
Also, why must you keep bring up that we're brainwashed if you don't like it when we say the same things about you, which are based more in fact than what you're pointing out?
My site.

?

trig

« Reply #509 on: December 14, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
Trig, you seem to be the fairest of the RE'rs in this forum. Thank you for your professionalism. I offer you the following:

An invalid argument is one that lacks evidence. I accept many theories that I do not personally favor because the evidence supports them.
My argument regarding the extrapolation of data exists only when the known data is less than 1/100,000,000,000,000 of the frame to which it is applied. I do not believe this is science. You think I am arrogant because of the fallacies in your logic? I have stated the fallacies yet you continue to accept them blindly as truth and use them to support your theory. I do know that calling me ?stupid? because I disagree with the conclusion of your data is not scientific.
I am very familiar with the regurgitation of articles and the same data being parsed in different ways. It has been the same for the last twenty five to thirty years. I know these theories and the data well.
I would like to address your points individually:
Hypothesis ?
Dinosaur fossils exist world-wide because the Earth was once a ?Pangea?
Observation ?
1) there are similar fossils located around the world.
2) South America and Africa seem to fit together.
3) Geological stratum in these ?matching? areas are similar. 
4) the polarity of the stratum indicates a precise match.
5) We can measure the movement of the continents.
6) Isotope decay proves the continental drift theory.
Conclusion ? the Earth was once a ?Pangea?
Consider the following:
1)   I agree with this.
2)   I disagree that they ?fit together?. A close review of the perceived connection demonstrates that this ?fit? is not possible. The northern portion of the continent does not fit in a manner consistent with the remainder of the continent. When you ?zoom out? to a higher level the tessellation seems more acceptable but then you must account for the twisting and tilting that has to occur for the ?fit? to take place. It is not acceptable, in my mind, to play with the continents like a jigsaw puzzle.
3)    I agree that geological stratum are consistent in some of these ?matched? areas of the world. How do you explain the consistency of geological stratum in places that do not ?match?? Also, how do you explain the lack of consistency in places where the stratum should ?match?? All areas that should ?match? must be consistent for your theory to be correct. This is not the case.
4)   This observation is true in many instances but false in others. The same issues discussed in 3) apply here as well.
5)   No, you extrapolated less than one hundred years of movement to a period in excess of three billion years.
6)   The decay tables used as a basis for the aging process use similar extrapolation methods where one short time period of decay is applied to a substantially longer time period.
In actuality your only evidence is that the same dinosaur fossils are located around the world. This can be used to prove that their migration occurred in a different manner. I think this is fair.

In science the models are what tell us what can be extrapolated and what cannot. Your dislike does not play any part in the decision.

The model of the nucleus of atoms has been proposed, then tested by experimentation and observation in countless occasions, and in fact has been perfected to the point where the atomic bomb could be developed and much more. We do note extrapolate the concentrations of radioactive substances into the past just because we feel like doing it. We know which conditions alter the half-lives of these substances and we know when our predictions are highly reliable and when they are not.

When you decide that an extrapolation cannot be extended into the remote past without having the model into account you are throwing away the scientific method altogether. Some extrapolations cannot be extended into next (or last) month, like most climate predictions you see in the news, some can be extrapolated almost without limit, like the ones regarding nucleus of atoms that are not being bombarded by significant amounts of radiation.

And you are right about one thing: extrapolating current continental drift, without taking any other evidence into account, is valid only for a few thousand years, or maybe less. The current model of continental drift, including the method of creation of new land, the model of creation of mountains on the opposite side of the tectonic plate, the model of the core of this planet, all together, do support the theory of continental drift that moved land and sea floor for thousands of kilometers. These theories, taken all as a whole, have been used to predict a whole lot of phenomena that has then been seen.

When your "theory" of intelligent dinosaurs becomes a model that can then go through the scientific method you will have something. For now you only have the the "I do not like it " argument, against which we can always tell you to see the evidence as a scientist or keep your theory to yourself.

And if you do not like radioactive decay as explained and used to date rocks, you will have to show the physical forces that change the way radioactive nucleus function, not just say "the known data is less than 1/100,000,000,000,000 of the frame to which it is applied". There are more than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms of oxygen in the atmosphere, but I do not say "wait a minute, what if the atoms of oxygen I am breathing today are poisonous?"