James's theory on dinosaurs

• 1811 Replies
?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
Re: James's theory on dinosaurs
« Reply #1350 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Do you understand how cladistics and phylogeny work?

Do those concepts arbitrarily predict equivalence in high-level behaviors, such as boat-building, between dinosaurs and birds?
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1351 on: March 17, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
Alright, birds are dinosaurs. This should also be brought to attention, "From the point of view of cladistics, birds are dinosaurs, but in ordinary speech the word "dinosaur" does not include birds. Additionally, referring to dinosaurs that are not birds as "non-avian dinosaurs" is cumbersome."

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1352 on: March 17, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
Alright, birds are dinosaurs.
:) Glad you agree.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1353 on: March 17, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
With that being said, it is not incorrect to refer to non-avian dinosaurs as dinosaurs, and to refer to birds and dinosaurs separately.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #1354 on: March 17, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Just like with squares and rectangles. I thought that was implied.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1355 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
With that being said, it is not incorrect to refer to non-avian dinosaurs as dinosaurs, and to refer to birds and dinosaurs separately.
The first part yes. The bolded part no, the distiction has to be made of avian vs non-avian.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Around And About

« Reply #1356 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »

Do those concepts arbitrarily predict equivalence in high-level behaviors, such as boat-building, between dinosaurs and birds?

It's a yes or no question, Ichi.

At any rate, I'm glad it's established that birds are a subset of dinosaurs, like squares and rectangles, excellent comparison.

So I gather that essentially the idea is: "Squares have four sides of equal length, therefore [?] rectangles have four sides of equal length."

Now, it seems like the [?] changes depending on whom you ask, but it's apparently either "it's possible that" or "it's not unreasonable to suppose that" or "".
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1357 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
My answer is yes, birds are dinosaurs.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1358 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
The first part yes. The bolded part no, the distiction has to be made of avian vs non-avian.
Seeing as how one of the definitions of dinosaur is, "any chiefly terrestrial, herbivorous or carnivorous reptile of the extinct orders Saurischia and Ornithischia, from the Mesozoic Era, certain species of which are the largest known land animals," I don't see how referring to them separately is wrong. You're talking about from a classification aspect, but saying dinosaur and bird in conversation and debate is not incorrect.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1359 on: March 17, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Seeing as how one of the definitions of dinosaur is, "any chiefly terrestrial, herbivorous or carnivorous reptile of the extinct orders Saurischia and Ornithischia, from the Mesozoic Era, certain species of which are the largest known land animals," I don't see how referring to them separately is wrong. You're talking about from a classification aspect, but saying dinosaur and bird in conversation and debate is not incorrect.
Yes it is.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1360 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »

It's a yes or no question, Ichi.

At any rate, I'm glad it's established that birds are a subset of dinosaurs, like squares and rectangles, excellent comparison.

So I gather that essentially the idea is: "Squares have four sides of equal length, therefore [?] rectangles have four sides of equal length."

Now, it seems like the [?] changes depending on whom you ask, but it's apparently either "it's possible that" or "it's not unreasonable to suppose that" or "".
There is a wide consensus among paleontologists that birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs. Using the strict cladistical definition that all descendants of a single common ancestor must be included in a group for that group to be natural, birds would thus be dinosaurs and dinosaurs are, therefore, not extinct. Birds are classified by most paleontologists as belonging to the subgroup Maniraptora, which are coelurosaurs, which are theropods, which are saurischians, which are dinosaurs.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1361 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Yes it is.
"From the point of view of cladistics, birds are dinosaurs, but in ordinary speech the word "dinosaur" does not include birds. Additionally, referring to dinosaurs that are not birds as "non-avian dinosaurs" is cumbersome."

Do I have to post it again? Read the bolded part.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1362 on: March 17, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
So in ordinary speech I shall refer to rectangles as squares?
The distinction has to be made in order to be correct.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1363 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
That would be stupid because a square is a rectangle with four equal sides.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1364 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
What about calling squares rectangles?

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1365 on: March 17, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
The point you're trying to make is we either always speak scientifically or always speak commonly. I get it. Referring to avian dinosaurs as birds and non-avian dinosaurs as dinosaurs makes things easier. Every time it is brought up that birds are dinosaurs, it causes arguments and derailment. Seeing as how typing out avian and non-avian is just a waste of time and rather annoying, why cant there just be an agreement that there are birds and there are dinosaurs?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1366 on: March 17, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
The point you're trying to make is we either always speak scientifically or always speak commonly. I get it. Referring to avian dinosaurs as birds and non-avian dinosaurs as dinosaurs makes things easier. Every time it is brought up that birds are dinosaurs, it causes arguments and derailment. Seeing as how typing out avian and non-avian is just a waste of time and rather annoying, why cant there just be an agreement that there are birds and there are dinosaurs?
Because birds are dinosaurs! That's a big part of the debate. Surely if I claimed something about all rectangles, I would have to take squares into consideration. Not doing so wouldn't make any sense now would it Simmias

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1367 on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Because birds are dinosaurs! That's a big part of the debate. Surely if I claimed something about all rectangles, I would have to take squares into consideration. Not doing so wouldn't make any sense now would it Simmias
You're impossible. I understand that. I'm not arguing that fact with you anymore. I'm saying for the sake of making things easier, why cant birds mean flying feathered creatures and dinosaurs mean giant reptile creatures that died out 65 million years ago? You're just being difficult to be difficult now.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1368 on: March 17, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Because pterosaurs could fly but are not dinosaurs.
Birds are dinosaurs.

Surely we wouldn't want to invoke irrelevant organisms would we Cebes?

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1369 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »
Birds are dinosaurs.

Surely we wouldn't want to purposely overlook words like feathered would we?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1370 on: March 17, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
Birds are dinosaurs.

Surely we wouldn't want to purposely overlook words like feathered would we?
>Implying no pterosaurs had feathers and that all birds have feathers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:02:22 PM by Ichimaru Gin :] »

?

Around And About

« Reply #1371 on: March 17, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
Anyway, my point is that this theory takes an evolutionary subset and arbitrarily applies a specific behavior to the entire ancestral set. Can any other proponent of this theory apart from Ichi the Broken Record (i.e. someone with solid reading comprehension skills) justify this?

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1372 on: March 17, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
Anyway, my point is that this theory takes an evolutionary subset and arbitrarily applies a specific behavior to the entire ancestral set. Can any other proponent of this theory apart from Ichi the Broken Record (i.e. someone with solid reading comprehension skills) justify this?
Birds are dinosaurs.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #1373 on: March 17, 2011, 06:15:23 PM »
I suppose extant phylogeny can answer some of those questions for us.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #1374 on: March 17, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
Why do birds need boats if they can fly?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1375 on: March 17, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
I suppose extant phylogeny can answer some of those questions for us.
It should also be brought to attention that birds did not evolve from all dinosaurs. For all of this to be even a possibility, the non-avian dinosaurs that may have used tools would have to be theropods, since that is the sub-order that avian dinosaurs evolved from. We're narrowing shit down now. What we need to do is find out what non-avian dinosaurs might have built boats, based on fossil records, and find out if they are theropods. If they are not, we'll have to explore a new route.

?

Around And About

« Reply #1376 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
How about ornithopods?

"They reached their apex in the duck-bills, before they were wiped out by the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event along with all other non-avian dinosaurs. Members are known from all seven continents, although the Antarctic remains are unnamed, and they are generally rare in the Southern Hemisphere."

Oh, and this clarifies something about their Order:

"They are known as the 'bird-hipped' dinosaurs because of their bird-like hip structure, even though birds actually descended from the 'lizard-hipped' dinosaurs (the saurischians)." -Wikipedia

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #1377 on: March 17, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
Why do birds need boats if they can fly?

Because their wings get tired, and they can hardly stop to rest when they're over water.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #1378 on: March 17, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
How about ornithopods?

"They reached their apex in the duck-bills, before they were wiped out by the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event along with all other non-avian dinosaurs. Members are known from all seven continents, although the Antarctic remains are unnamed, and they are generally rare in the Southern Hemisphere."

Oh, and this clarifies something about their Order:

"They are known as the 'bird-hipped' dinosaurs because of their bird-like hip structure, even though birds actually descended from the 'lizard-hipped' dinosaurs (the saurischians)." -Wikipedia
Interesting, however that order seemed to have either died out, or evolved into an animal that we haven't yet found the connection to. We must concentrate on theropods only.

?

Around And About

« Reply #1379 on: March 17, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
By the way, why did the birds cross the ocean?

To get to the other tide::)

Anyway, my point is...how did non-therapod dinosaurs get on all of the continents? ???